• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 has series best retail debut in the UK

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pulling this from the PAL thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208958

SteamSpy also has a regional breakdown now and the PAL numbers come out fast enough that we can do a comparison.

Series retail debut performance:

Bruno MB said:
Code:
[Week 25, 2010] DEMON'S SOULS: BLACK PHANTOM EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 10,000 < 15,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2011] DARK SOULS (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 30,000 < 36,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 38,000 < 43,000 / NEW
[Week 13, 2015] BLOODBORNE (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 43,000 / NEW
[B][Week 15, 2016] DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT) > 61,000 < 69,000 / NEW[/B]

Platform split (retail):

Dark Souls 3 (100%) - 61,000 < x < 69,000
Dark Souls 3 PS4 (71%) - 43,310 < x < 48,990
Dark Souls 3 One (26%) - 15,860 < x < 17,940
Dark Souls 3 PC (3%) - 1,830 < x < 2,070

SteamSpy UK:

[Steam UK] About 39,654 with UK at 6.26% (of 633,444)

Console digital tends to be around 20% for the curious, though we don't have a regional breakdown on that.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Damn did not know Bloodborne had the best series opening until DS3 given that it is only on one platform. Great results for DS3 as well! From Software continues to be the best damn developer on the planet making AAA games.

Nibel

I'm happy for the series but considering that awful marketing from Bamco UK actually worked..
wtzgU.gif

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Dark Souls 1 was a notably slow burner, though it still ended up quite a bit ahead of Dark Souls 2 in the end.

Oh. Did not know that. Does From Software own the IP?

Wonder who will be the publisher if Dark Souls 4 ever gets made. Will they go back to Namco or maybe some other big third party publisher.

Demon's Souls' debut is atrocious.

No one expected anything out of Demon's Souls. Hell most people probably did not know it was coming out in a forum like GAF so you can imagine the general public. Word of Mouth saved Demon Souls.

Jay Seven

Banned
Damn did not know Bloodborne had the best series opening until DS3 given that it is only on one platform. Great results for DS3 as well! From Software continues to be the best damn developer on the planet making AAA games.
Doesn't really mean much when it's so front-loaded. Bloodborne didn't even chart in the top 50 best selling games of the year in the UK. It'll be interesting to see if DS3 can.

Just the PS4 sales of Dark Souls 3 are beating every other souls games on the list :).

I think we owe the success of Dark Souls on PC to the spate of Japanese releases we're seeing on PC. Good times. Will probably pick it up some time this year.

mrmickfran

No one expected anything out of Demon's Souls. Hell most people probably did not know it was coming out in a forum like GAF so you can imagine the general public. Word of Mouth saved Demon Souls.

As expected really. It was only WOM for that game that really catapulted this franchise.

Took forever to be released in EU though, and a lot of people had already imported it either from NA or the English asian version.

Pretty much everyone I knew with a PlayStation imported from Asia day one. It didn't get released until almost a year later I believe.
So it's a miracle that Dark Souls released in EU. Otherwise, Namco would be treated like Atlus/Sega in that people would hate them.

Orayn

PC only sightly behind PS4, eh? Fair chance it winds up tied with PS4 worldwide when all is said and done, maybe slightly ahead if it manages to have a longer tail.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
PC only sightly behind PS4, eh? Fair chance it winds up tied with PS4 worldwide when all is said and done, maybe slightly ahead if it manages to have a longer tail.

It's the definitive version, if you have a capable PC you'd be mad to get it on console. Double the frame rate, no frame pacing issues and better visuals? Sign me up! Hell, even Digital Foundry's budget box (i3/750ti) ran the game better than both consoles so you don't even need a good PC to get a better experience. The game was an absolute pleasure to play on PC.

Shahed

That doesn't include digital so there's a probable 15-20% extra there for the PS4 version. Having said that consoles are more front loaded and PC will likely have a longer tail and could sell more in the long run.

Top Bottom