• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 is Bandai Namco America's fastest selling game ever

I've already answered, your points are all very fair, I just dont think FROM's situation is the same than back then (even from a Bloodborne point of view). I'm sure Sony wants (if not already done) more games from FROM.

Also gotta keep in mind Kadokawa now owns Fromsoft and they already got 2 playstation exclusives in development sooooo an effect from upper management.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=939307

Either way id say it still leans more towards getting more exclusives from Fromsoft than not but as long as Fromsoft and more specifically Miyazaki is healthy i dont care where the games go as long as its interesting ill be there
if i have the money :p

ricelord

Beam Sabers my guy and
other varients
tumblr_n5c346KJvh1tzixowo1_400.gif

Glorious+beam+sabers+cut+through+everything+like+hot+butter+_453febffd040f4c2272e1c8d26b36f1e.gif

a mech souls game? yes plz.

finalflame

Gold Member
So goddamn deserved. Now that they're about to wrap up Dark Souls, I can't wait to see what they do next.

I'm hoping for Bloodborne 2-3 and a brand new IP. I also feel they're gunning for the VR space.

Fhtagn

Miyazaki mentioned this one being the last.

I wonder if he just meant HIS last because this shit ain't stopping

Nah the quote is very specific that he feels it is important that From move on to a new project after DS3.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a DS4 in 3 years but these games are made in parallel over the course of 2-3 years so DS3 being an unprecedented success can't magically make DS4's development start in 2014 if Miyazaki decided it was time to do a new IP then.

No frame pacing issues for me
I have a g-sync monitor

Is the new IP a known thing?

I wonder if they reveal it at E3. From doesn't seem to like having games unannounced for long. They've always got something in the pipeline.

Sounds like it, and it'd be the best thing for them right now creatively. To be clear, there's no specific source, just an educated guess!

Really though the best thing about this is that an unwavering will and vision can still help carve out your niche and make it grow.

dracula_x

Also gotta keep in mind Kadokawa now owns Fromsoft and they already got 2 playstation exclusives in development sooooo an effect from upper management.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=939307

Either way id say it still leans more towards getting more exclusives from Fromsoft than not but as long as Fromsoft and more specifically Miyazaki is healthy i dont care where the games go as long as its interesting ill be there
if i have the money :p
Hmm, interesting:
The first project, dubbed Project Code: Daten, is a dungeon RPG themed around the Cthulu mythos.

The second project, dubbed Project Code: Tsukiyomi, is a simulation RPG themed around Japanese mythology.
Never heard about this, so thanks for the link.

tesqui

Now pls remake original Dark Souls 60 fps + new content/ remixed enemy placement. (also allow to play with original enemy placement)

Is the new IP a known thing?

I wonder if they reveal it at E3. From doesn't seem to like having games unannounced for long. They've always got something in the pipeline.

I can only think DS3 DLC trailer. I don't expect new game announced at E3. They just finished DS3 and The Old Hunter. Unless they have 3 full production team, we won't see anything from them until next year (which I also doubt but FROM is notorious for reusing assets so development may goes fast than I think)

Luckily Bloodborne was orchetrated ;)

Yeah, fuck Namco for having Future Press work on the first two games (three if you include Bloodborne) and then get greedy with Prima.

We got a full hardcover guide for The Old Hunters and it covered all changes for the patches from release until The Old Hunters with
Lady Maria
on the cover.
I will say that Iudex Gundyr is one of my favourite pieces of music in the souls games overall.

Good sales on them but I still hope From gives DS a rest.

DSIII is much better then 2 so far but man, I'm really not enjoying some of the mechanics in conjunction with one another.

Really makes me apprciate the removal of shields in BB even more.

ezekial45

Banned
Well deserved. From Software really came out on top with this. Demon's Souls was such a gamble, and it paid off in such a huge way.

Here's a great retrospective on Demon's Souls. It's pretty amazing how this game, and the series as a whole, managed to go from sales failure to being a best seller while elevating an entire genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTCBh7bPZA

I'm totally down for whatever Souls game they've got in mind next.

Just as long as it's Bloodborne 2 and a focused Sci-Fi Souls.

Struct09

A good game selling good is good news. I hope they don't simply do a Dark Souls 4 next, I'd appreciate a more fresh take on the formula like Bloodborne was.

630k on Steam for only 4 days. That's amazing. And definitely a proof again on why you should release your PC games day and date with consoles. You dont lose sales, you only gain more.

DaS4 after a good 4 year break sounds about right.

WH40K sounds awesome.

Scamco's definitely going to pressure From to keep churning out the Souls games.

I don't really care if we get another one but I'd like it to take a 2-3 year break.

From im pretty sure is in a position to take their ball and go home anytime.

Anth0ny

Why. One could argue that quality hasn't dropped at all comparing Dark Souls 1 to 3.

souls fatigue is a real thing. Dark Souls 1 is such a huge game that they could have released nothing since and I still wouldn't be done with it.

this certainly isn't a series that needs to be annual. I just finished bloodborne and have very little desire to jump into dark souls 3 so quickly. these games are so big and deep and well made that if any franchise can get away with such a long wait between entries, it's dark souls.

get on the GTA schedule. let miyazaki make his perfect game with as much time as he needs.

Sesha

Very well deserved. It's incredible that a series like Souls with:

- a dark fantasy aesthetic
- an oppressive atmosphere that makes players feel insignificant rather than empowered
- very little cinematic elements, and a lack of traditional storytelling elements, with a focus on environmental storytelling
- no quests or missions or objective markers. No direction in the form of "go there, do this, kill that, save them", aside from maybe "kill the bosses"
- non-linear level design and game structure that isn't open world, consisting of tightly crafted, interconnected areas
- a huge amount of optional content consisting of entire areas and bosses, as opposed to minor quests or collectibles
- a heavy focus on challenge, very little to no handholding, with many of the most difficult boss fights of any action/adventure/RPG game
- a gameplay philosophy where player death is expected and built into the core experience, with the possibility of significant progress and point loss with a single death

manages to sell as well as it does.

Companies like Capcom and Tecmo Koei with franchises like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, franchises once infamous for being challenging action titles, where they watered down the difficulty and tried to spread out the experiences with a bigger focus on story, more platforming and more cinematic elements like contextual button prompts, look like incompetent boobs by comparison.

Good sales on them but I still hope From gives DS a rest.

DSIII is much better then 2 so far but man, I'm really not enjoying some of the mechanics in conjunction with one another.

Really makes me apprciate the removal of shields in BB even more.

The only thing I don't like is that the balance is terrible. Some bosses is too fast and too aggressive for slow weapons and magic

JudgeN

souls fatigue is a real thing. Dark Souls 1 is such a huge game that they could have released nothing since and I still wouldn't be done with it.

this certainly isn't a series that needs to be annual. I just finished bloodborne and have very little desire to jump into dark souls 3 so quickly. these games are so big and deep and well made that if any franchise can get away with such a long wait between entries, it's dark souls.

get on the GTA schedule. let miyazaki make his perfect game with as much time as he needs.

It seems to only be a thing on GAF, I love souls games and I don't want them once very 5-6 years. Keep making them in some form, it doesn't have to be dark souls but make a new world and lore and go with it and improve on your formula.

They'll attribute this to giving the game to streamers pre-release no doubt. We'll get an equally shitty marketing scheme next game and the community aspect is forever dead.

E92 M3

I don't want to play a Souls game that Miyazaki didn't produce again. Dark Souls 2 feels notably different from the other games. It's still good, but nothing like DS1 and 3.

That pretty much seals the deal that this franchise is going to be annualized now. Not that I'm hating on that. Hopefully they'll find other settings to apply the "Souls" formula. Would love to see a Sci-Fi souls, or other mythologies i.e. Norse, Aztec, Indian.

They'll attribute this to giving the game to streamers pre-release no doubt. We'll get an equally shitty marketing scheme next game and the community aspect is forever dead.

Going by the sales, the community is more alive than ever.

Outside of a handful of die hard Souls fanatics, no one cares about how Bandai Namco marketed this game.

Daft Punk

Banned
I trust history above insiders.

Also, what's the interest for FROM to make a contract game when they can just do mutliplats and get more cut of the cake? They're not a Sony owned studio.

I hope we dont see FROM chained to a company/hardware.

Lol it's ok. We know you want a multiplatform BB.

Kazuhira

I haven't finished it yet but it's already better than dark souls 1 imo,i love this game so much.
Well deserved sales FROM,keep it up.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought people playing on PC claimed that frame pacing was non-exist in PC version

I haven't noticed any frame pacing issues on PC, and I would. Plus in Digital Foundry's video it showed no frame pacing issues even when capped at 30fps/console settings. The only technical issue I have on PC is the game stutters for a split second sometimes when it autosaves, other than that it has been rock solid.

I haven't noticed any frame pacing issues on PC, and I would. Plus in Digital Foundry's video it showed no frame pacing issues even when capped at 30fps/console settings. The only technical issue I have on PC is the game stutters from a split second sometimes when it autosaves, other than that it has been rock solid.

Yeah, this has been my experience with the game on PC.

Demons Souls -> Dark Souls
Bloodborne -> Bloodbourne? xD

To your second question, I understand framerate and frame pacing still pretty bad in DS3 on consoles.

yep that's definitely possible, but based off of what Miyazaki said I don't think it's likely. Maybe they'll continue Souls games but they'll feel really fatigued if they do another clone thing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
took me a few seconds but I got it

Isn't bloodborne a 1st party game though? I thought asking for a multiplat sequel would be the same as asking for uncharted 4 to be multiplatform.
does dark souls 3 on consoles have the same framerate issue that bloodborne does?

Dark Souls is basically a multiplat sequel to Demons in everything but name

Top Bottom