• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 is Bandai Namco America's fastest selling game ever

pa22word

No, is much better layered in DS3 and more interesting and varied.

Elem Loyce was a poor man's 1-1, with stupid backtracking. Tbh that puts it over most DS2 but not over most DS3 levels.

1. I'm sorry, but I don't want to bog down this thread in a massive DS argument, where we line by line break down the differences between those two levels, but I just can't agree with this at all.
Maneaters v whatever the fuck that was in DS3 pretty much makes most of the argument for itself, honestly.

2. "a poor man's 1-1" could describe at least half the levels in DS3 if not more. please elaborate.
I think there's a typo in your post. 2 != 3

No, he's right. DS3 excels only in being the least offensive entry in the series. It doesn't really do anything extraordinarily well, neither does it do anything terribly wrong. It just kinda straddles the line between the two games. It's pretty much just above average-to-good all the way through. No really super inventive ideas, nothing really excells design wise, it's just....okay in every way.

EDIT: I will amend to say I did like the music here more than other games, other than Souls of Fire from DS1.

Ferr986

At the very least they will have to start to complain about new things, because most of the common complaints people have about 2 get even worse in 3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This.

If nothing goes wrong with the last part of DS3 (I didn't finish the game yet but I think I'm close), I'll end up liking it more than 2, but some of the problems people had with 2 are still in 3, and even worse.

I wonder if people will be more lenient with 3 because Miyazaki was in there or they would be as harsh as with 2.

With that said, DS3 is a fantastic game, so grats to FROM!

So happy for FROM

Miyazaki is smart and Im sure he has enough influence and clout to not be pressured into making another Dark Souls unless he wanted to do it

Plus doesnt From own the IP?

SpokkX

I imported the first Demons Souls from Taiwan on release after reading a thread here on neogaf and just loved it..

Souls has become a replacement for my previous favorite series, Metroid (which seems dead now?)

Never imagined the series would become mainstream though

Honestly I wouldnt mind From splitting teams and doing a Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls remaster

While the other teams try something new

Jobbs

Banned
Nintendo hasn't given a shit about Metroid since Super flopped in Japan, and has been mis-managed even before that.

If it weren't for their FUCKING lack of vision they'd have noticed the DEPTH of the fanbase (if not necessarily the breadth) for core Super Metroid and they'd have catered to it and made it grow.

You can't turn a tiny spark into a roaring flame if you keep fucking putting it out, dumbass Nintendo.

Demon's Souls had a devoted fanbase but the game hadn't exactly exploded into a massive commercial success or become a living room name around the time it came out. If FromSoft were like Nintendo they'd have started wondering how to change it into something that'd sell more. We'd have Demon's Souls Hunters, a multiplayer battle game. Or whatever.

But FromSoft did the smart thing and stayed faithful to their core fans and kept to their vision and GREW SOMETHING. They LED.

FromSoft is in the 2010s what Nintendo was in the 80's and early 90's.

If it weren't for their FUCKING lack of vision they'd have noticed the DEPTH of the fanbase (if not necessarily the breadth) for core Super Metroid and they'd have catered to it and made it grow.

You can't turn a tiny spark into a roaring flame if you keep fucking putting it out, dumbass Nintendo.

Demon's Souls had a devoted fanbase but the game hadn't exactly exploded into a massive commercial success or become a living room name around the time it came out. If FromSoft were like Nintendo they'd have started wondering how to change it into something that'd sell more. We'd have Demon's Souls Hunters, a multiplayer battle game. Or whatever.

But FromSoft did the smart thing and stayed faithful to their core fans and kept to their vision and GREW SOMETHING. They LED.

FromSoft is in the 2010s what Nintendo was in the 80's and early 90's.

EXACTLY

Could not agree more. Its something we desperately need from Developers going forward

Vision and faith in the creative ideas you put forward. Taking Leadership and building on committed fans

For some reason we keep going in circles in the industry because the money and risk is so huge

pa22word

Does FROM own the IP? I thought Namco owned it

I think FS owns the IP whereas Namco owns the publishing rights in the west?

Considering how the series does WW vs in Japan, I'd say Namco won hard on that deal, and might be one of the few reasons I actually buy that this might be the last game in the series. Especially considering Lords of the Fallen was published by Namco between DS2 and DS3 releasing while FS put out BB with Sony publishing exclusively on PS4, and I guess we have a Namco LotF2 coming eventually?

Needless to say if Namco does indeed own western publishing rights for the near future it wouldn't shock me if FS just abandoned the series and moved on to do their own thing from now on, because they probably have the money at this point anyways.

Jobbs

Banned
EXACTLY

Could not agree more. Its something we desperately need from Developers going forward

Vision and faith in the creative ideas you put forward. Taking Leadership and building on committed fans

For some reason we keep going in circles in the industry because the money and risk is so huge

There is no doubt in my mind that FromSoft is the most important and significant development studio in the world right now.

1. I'm sorry, but I don't want to bog down this thread in a massive DS argument, where we line by line break down the differences between those two levels, but I just can't agree with this at all.
Maneaters v whatever the fuck that was in DS3 pretty much makes most of the argument for itself, honestly.

2. "a poor man's 1-1" could describe at least half the levels in DS3 if not more. please elaborate.

No, he's right. DS3 excels only in being the least offensive entry in the series. It doesn't really do anything extraordinarily well, neither does it do anything terribly wrong. It just kinda straddles the line between the two games. It's pretty much just above average-to-good all the way through. No really super inventive ideas, nothing really excells design wise, it's just....okay in every way.

EDIT: I will amend to say I did like the music here more than other games, other than Souls of Fire from DS1.

I on mobile so I can't make a big argumentation, but in short: while DS3 builds over the fundations of Demon Souls design pillars not only surpasses it in some areas, namely enemy design (not visual only), but follows it while adding a good bunch of it,often offering more intrincate and varied challenges.

MrHoot

It's awesome for them, but I do really hope for no dark souls 4. As much as 3 was enjoyable, it said barely anything new and you can feel the annualization of the franchise and the pandering, with almost every single zone being a retread of another one from a previous game, questionable design decisions borrowed from BB for Souls, and the plot and lore barely going anywhere except for variation. I'd rather they end on a high note rather than running this into the ground just to pander to fans

Auctopus

There is no doubt in my mind that FromSoft is the most important and significant development studio in the world right now.

PLease explain this.

Dark Souls 1 is my GOAT and I don't believe this at all. In what way are FROM the most important developer in the world right now?

MrHoot

PLease explain this.

Dark Souls 1 is my GOAT and I don't believe this at all. In what way are FROM the most important developer in the world right now?

Yeah I don't get it either. I love From with all my cold icy heart, but they're also kind of a one trick pony. I do appreciate their effort to show that comitting to a niche can work out just fine but ...ye

Kazuhira

I wouldn't mind a remake of ds1 with new content etc,maybe even finish lost izalith like it was meant to be.
They should focus in the ds3 dlcs though.
DS1,DS3 and Bloodborne are masterpieces in my book,thanks FROM.

That's great. Keep'em coming- it's the only games I actually look forward to anymore. Limited time to game, but these I can play all yr. If they can keep up the quality I wouldn't mind these yearly.

Raitaro

Space Souls next please.

I've been thinking that it would be cool if they would develop the next Metroid for Nintendo, which could be close to a Space Souls in many ways.

That or do Bloodborne 2 first - preferably with an 80's Escape from New York / The Warrior setting - to further increase that series' fanbase as well.

magnetic

I'll stake my claim right here that I always thought it was the best Souls game. And I have hundreds of frustrated posts in "DS2 sucks" threads to prove it :p

I'm playing through DS1 and DS2 in parallel and this makes me happy to hear. So many members talk about DS2 as if it wasn't an actual Souls games, not worth playing, B-Team Scamco cash grab etc.

At the very least they will have to start to complain about new things, because most of the common complaints people have about 2 get even worse in 3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is just deranged.

The hitboxes are perfect. They removed the ADP bullshit. While the overall world design feels similar to DS2 at least the areas themselves are far more sprawling than anything in DS2 vanilla. There's nearly no areas that are horribly ugly to look at unlike half of DS2.

I don't see how anyone could claim DS2 is better than 3. Realistically the dialogue should be how far below the rest of the series DS2 hangs, not where it hangs among the other games.

I'm playing through DS1 and DS2 in parallel and this makes me happy to hear. So many members talk about DS2 as if it wasn't an actual Souls games, not worth playing, B-Team Scamco cash grab etc.

Of course it's worth playing. A mediocre Souls game is still far more engaging than most of the other gunk this industry manages to put out these days.

kswiston

It's crazy how well this series has done on PC relative to most Japanese multiplats.

Dark Souls 1-3 should break the 5M barrier on PC some time this year.

Ferr986

That is just deranged.

The hitboxes are perfect. They removed the ADP bullshit. While the overall world design feels similar to DS2 at least the areas themselves are far more sprawling than anything in DS2 vanilla. There's nearly no areas that are horribly ugly to look at unlike half of DS2.

I don't see how anyone could claim DS2 is better than 3. Realistically the dialogue should be how far below the rest of the series DS2 hangs, not where it hangs among the other games.

Well, DS3 still has (spoilers of the game)
a very linear progression unlike Dark 1.In fact , progression is even more restricted than in 2. Is true that areas tend to be more complex than vanilla DS2, more close to DS2 DLC, atlhough there's some questionable ones.

Then bonfire placement, theres even more bonfires than in DS2.

Next I would say lore, everyone hated Old Dragonslayer cause it was just fanservice instead of DS2 trying to be its own thing, yet DS3 lore is done with the idea of fanservicing DS1 as much as they could.

I would throw level themes in there. Of course DS3'art is way better than 2, but also it felt more safe. Nothing as original as The Aery, Heide or Amana's Shrine. I still have to do the optional area on DS3 so that may change.

As I said I still think DS3 is the better game for sure, it has better bosses, controls and overall level design is better.

Deserves every single unit sold.

I have platinumed Demon's, Dark 1 and Dark 2 and Dark 3 so far (30 hours in, 6 bosses down) is *this* close to being THE perfect Souls game IMO.

It destroys the trash that is known as Dark Souls 2 (eat me, Morrigan Stark) and is *almost* on the level of Demon's. Absolutely better than Dark 1, there I said it purists.

I love Dark 3 and want it to never end. The level design itself is simply out of reach for other games... and Dark 2. The Cathedral is Tower of Latria-tier for Christ's sake. No more of this Tseldora, Iron Keep etc. garbage!

I have dreamed of a new Souls game like this for the last 4 years.

DARK SOULS 3 DOES NOT DISAPPOINT

nice. it's awesome to see From doing well, they've been around a long time and never had a hit series even close to this level (afaik Tenchu and Armored Core etc haven't been hits in the west). they deserve all the success, i hope their employees have gotten some raises since Demon's Souls :)

i don't know how i'd rank DS3 yet, only 20 hours or so in and i'm taking it slow (barely leveling up, helping other low lever players etc), but it seems very solid and i've had some truly intense moments in true Souls fashion, finishing a boss with basically zero HP left and so on. it's just exhilarating. the formula still works.

That is just deranged.

Plus they incroporated lots all improvements from their previous Souls titles into Dark Souls 3 and expanded on it, not only from a graphics standpoint.
They improved archery and gave every weapon more depth thanks to weapon arts all while making animations good again and at least on par with the first Dark Souls game (one major complaint I had about Dark Souls 2). For me DS3 is more of a joy to play than Dark Souls thanks to that.

DS3 feels, plays and looks! like a "Best of Souls" that contains pretty much all the good things they learned and achieved in making their previous titles while leaving out the worst (soul memory, permanently killable mobs).

And even though DS3 lacks a nice interconnected world like the first game (which is a bit of a bummer tbh, though still more cohesive than DS2's friggin lava castle in the sky) I still consider DS3 to be a true successor to DS1 in just about every way. And we still have to receive DLC expansions.

george_us

I have platinumed Demon's, Dark 1 and Dark 2 and Dark 3 so far (30 hours in, 6 bosses down) is *this* close to being THE perfect Souls game IMO.

It destroys the trash that is known as Dark Souls 2 (eat me, Morrigan Stark) and is *almost* on the level of Demon's. Absolutely better than Dark 1, there I said it purists.

I love Dark 3 and want it to never end. The level design itself is simply out of reach for other games... and Dark 2. The Cathedral is Tower of Latria-tier for Christ's sake. No more of this Tseldora, Iron Keep etc. garbage!

Scanning...

Scanning...

Scanning...

No lies detected.

Also if you think
The Cathedral is Tower of Latria-esque, you ain't seen nothing yet. Shit gets real during the latter half of the game. Really real.

Riposte

The guy who thinks Dark Souls III is better than Dark Souls but only almost as good Demon's Souls calling other people "purists".

Kieli

It's awesome for them, but I do really hope for no dark souls 4. As much as 3 was enjoyable, it said barely anything new and you can feel the annualization of the franchise and the pandering, with almost every single zone being a retread of another one from a previous game, questionable design decisions borrowed from BB for Souls, and the plot and lore barely going anywhere except for variation. I'd rather they end on a high note rather than running this into the ground just to pander to fans

I agree with you. The game doesn't feel inspired the way Demon's, Dark, or even Bloodborne felt.

It does everything great, but not amazing. And I don't like how much pandering there was from previous series in this one.

Weapon arts is meh, and some of the enemies are BB-tier fast (which absolutely does not belong in a Souls game).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Trash game. They got rid of my small white soapstone. And powerstancing. And they fucked up the Darkmoon Covenant.

Not actually a trash game.

Zetta

Really great to hear, happy for From. I thought I was getting a bit tired of this series until I reached
Abyss Watchers
and holy crap that was so much fun. After this fight it just clicked with me that I will never tire of this and can't wait for more.

Which enemies you feel have hit you with bs? I'm currently in Irithyll Dungeon so maybe the bullshit comes later on but so far it's been complete bliss.

Have you had ANY Pvp interactions? You literally can be hit by a straight sword from like 5 characters away for no reason. It's way worse than DS2.

Top Bottom