• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls aggressive enemies mod

(Searched but didn't find anything, sorry in advance if old.)

Here's something someone showed to me today that I thought was really cool, the Dark Souls super aggressive enemies mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am35x29QKkQ

Rather than buffing enemies to do more damage or whatever, this mod simply makes enemies much more aggressive. They will start wondering around trying to find you way before you get close to them. Enemies are almost never in the same spot. They also won't retreat, and will chase you until you fight them. Lately I've been thinking about how certain enemies become a boring affair in DS games because they are always in the same spot and very predictable, so this was an awesome find for me.

Additional discussion: I think that something like this should be implemented in DS2 for a NG+ rather than just changing damage and health values. This is something that can really make the game feel fresh after several playthroughs.

Another thing this reminds me of, is how perfect DS would be with full modding capability. Custom stories and maps for this game would be amazing. I wish more people were working towards this, and if they are I would love to hear more about it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I dunno if I would be able to do it.

But yeah, a utility to make basic maps with items, weapons, and enemy placements would be excellent.

Teknoman

I think most of the fear from DS enemies is that they'll stare you down. Majority have that "bitch, I dare you" look in their eyes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Now I want the passive aggressive enemies mod. They just leave angry notes and ask you to wash the dishes because, y'know, SOMEONE left four plates in there...

The final boss would mock you for playing a game that has artificial difficulty just so you can brag about it even though it's not that fun and you just want gamer cred. You would have to counterattack by equipping cool and concise arguments and not let your anger meter get too high.

This sounds great. It's too easy to cheese enemies in Dark Souls by hanging back with a bow. If they are roaming, actively trying to hunt you down it changes things big time!

Shengar

So, that mean these guys are wandering around Undead Burg and Sen's Fortress?
Img0052.jpg
Actually, the core idea is pretty cool. Making enemy more agressive and wandering around make the game much more unpredictable, and have a lot of replayability.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This mod destroys the nature and design of Dark Souls. FROM put (almost) every enemy in a super exact position so that it would have its advantages and disadvantages.

This mod destroys the nature and design of Dark Souls. FROM put (almost) every enemy in a super exact position so that it would have its advantages and disadvantages.

Design is for first run. You could say the same thing about SL1 playthroughs, but people do it because they love teh hard. This is more teh hard for them.

web01

This is cool but what I really hope to see in the future is a way for modders to manually place enemies, would be crazy to play the game completely remixed with different enemies in different areas.

Design is for first run. You could say the same thing about SL1 playthroughs, but people do it because they love teh hard. This is more teh hard for them.

Exactly. This is not for first time players. Of course because this is a simple mod, it doesn't account for enemy hp. So, it's going to be more difficult, but it's very possible that the game could be tweaked to balance roaming enemies.

It seems like some of the enemies in DS2 wonder around in the beta forest area, so maybe they are taking that idea into account? In past interviews they have said it's something they wanted to do.

Gxgear

From the looks of the mod it looks like the enemies simply have bigger aggro ranges. The aggression doesn't look changed, but I think most of the enemies are fine on that front (except for skeletons and serpentmen).

Pretty refreshing to see enemies gang up on you en masse and in different locations though, that seems like the most significant aspect of the mod.

From the looks of the mod it looks like the enemies simply have bigger aggro ranges. The aggression doesn't look changed, but I think most of the enemies are fine on that front (except for skeletons and serpentmen).

Pretty refreshing to see enemies gang up on you en masse and in different locations though, that seems like the most significant aspect of the mod.

Yeah, the changes are bigger aggro range, and enemies don't have aggro boundaries. So, they will just follow you until you or they die. It's not perfect as it is, but it makes things much more fresh if you are used to the game.

Perkel

Banned
So no more position scaming ? and enemy bubble scaming ?

Fuck yes.

In Original Deamon Souls enemies run after you in DS they have their own position and range if you are not in that range they won't do shit to you.

This is why getting Zweihander in DS was so easy. You could just run and they would stop running after you.

maomaoIYP

I thought this would be a good idea until I remembered the blowdart fuckers who curse you in blightown. Those dudes can already engage you from a mile away. Them chasing me all over blightown? NOPE.

UnrealEck

So does this mean I can lure a bunch of enemies into an area, get them stuck and destroy them with AOE?
Or just force them to fall to their deaths.

Seanspeed

Banned
Except that this game seems to have very much been designed to be beaten at SL1 and other base levels. There really aren't any times where doing this feels broken.

Yet I have a feeling that this aggressive enemies mod, as interesting as it sounds, will make certain parts of this game feel completely broken.

Skinpop

I thought this would be a good idea until I remembered the blowdart fuckers who curse you in blightown. Those dudes can already engage you from a mile away. Them chasing me all over blightown? NOPE.

lost 60 k souls to them when I was trying to get out after clearing blighttown on my first playthrough. don't want them wandering about.

Yet I have a feeling that this aggressive enemies mod, as interesting as it sounds, will make certain parts of this game feel completely broken.

Well, yeah. It's a mod for a game that has barely any mod support. But ultimately, it's optional. Don't play it if you can't deal with it being a bit off.

feel

Yeah but nothing wrong with mixing things up a bit with this to make repeated playthroughs more exciting.

Soriku

They die permanently if you kill them though, and there aren't many of them. Actually I don't remember if they even move from their spots. If they do though it might be beneficial. They were stationed in annoying spots, having them come to you would make them easier to kill...

daniels

Wow even the mimics run around and transform back into chest on places that are usually witout chests lol stupid mimics :)
Wait... what about the butterflies in the crystal cave and the titanite demons o_O the more i think about it the harder it sounds lol

gioGAF

They were passive before?

Enemy aggro range was severely nerfed in one of the patches (1.05). In fact, I pretty much stopped playing the game after this patch since PvE became a boring affair. Way to reach a broader audience...

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah but nothing wrong with mixing things up a bit with this to make repeated playthroughs more exciting.

I guess if you're absolutely desperate. I'm thinking this will be an unfair mess a good portion of the time, though. Doesn't sound fun to me.

maomaoIYP

I guess if you're absolutely desperate. I'm thinking this will be an unfair mess a good portion of the time, though. Doesn't sound fun to me.

Yeah it doesn't sound fun at all. Good luck getting past the crystal cave, blighttown, lost izalith etc etc

Toxi

Banned
Yeah it doesn't sound fun at all. Good luck getting past the crystal cave, blighttown, lost izalith etc etc
Crystal Cave is fine, Moonlight Butterflies can be easily defeated with preparation and the Golems will be easier than they were before thanks to being located in less perilous positions.

Blighttown will be jam-packed with mooks, but at least it's just mooks (Other than the Blowdart Snipers) and half of the place is skippable anyway.

Lost Izalith... Hope you got humanities saved up for the Daughter of Chaos Covenant.

EDIT: OH SHIT THE DEMON RUINS FUCK FUCK FUCK

SIX TAURUS DEMONS AT ONCE

I would expect nany places to be much easier. With Lost Izalith for instance you can sit back in a safe spot and wait for the enemies to come to you. Once the chorus line is dead you can then explore.

Hypron

Crystal Cave is fine, Moonlight Butterflies can be easily defeated with preparation and the Golems will be easier than they were before thanks to being located in less perilous positions.

Blighttown will be jam-packed with mooks, but at least it's just mooks (Other than the Blowdart Snipers) and half of the place is skippable anyway.

Lost Izalith... Hope you got humanities saved up for the Daughter of Chaos Covenant.

EDIT: OH SHIT THE DEMON RUINS FUCK FUCK FUCK

SIX TAURUS DEMONS AT ONCE

Awwww yeah

Mask

In the right area, this mod will be absolutely terrifying, and a little bit unfair.

Imagine if they could do this with the bosses instead. Walking along, minding your business, when suddenly a
boss health bar appears on the bottom of the screen, and you get bum-rushed. Do want.

Actually, that would be something new. Were there any wandering bosses in Demons/Dark Souls?

Top Bottom