• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Debug thread: "My dad could beat up your dad" but with bosses

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To others, post any cool stuff you find and share GIF's, screenshots, WebM's, etc. Good stuff will get into the OP.

Rules: Limit of 2 WebM's per post and 3 posts in a row. If your screenshot is larger than 1280x720 put it in quotes.

Debug build download link
Download from the Nexus
Installation:
1) Open: *Steam*\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA
2) Rename "DARKSOULS.exe" to "DARKSOULSBACKUP.exe"
3) Extract this zip to the DATA folder
4) Rename "DARKSOULS.exe -removethisportion-" to "DARKSOULS.exe"
5) Launch Dark Souls through your Steam shortcut or Play button.

On boot you will see

on_boot_by_alooo81-d8aaw3p.jpg

Select option 10 to boot into the normal game startup.

Interestingly, provisional (option 11) will take you to these two screens

Basic controls
Back: Open debug menu
A: Select
B: Back
D-pad: Move selection
Left Bumper + Dpad: faster move (move 4 at a time, increase in increments of 100 instead of 1)
Right bumper + Dpad: Quickly move between categories.
Advanced controls(Thanks Havel!)
RB+RT and tapping LB: birigs up a second debug menu, up to 4.
RB+RT and tapping LT closes the menu
RB while tapping LT cycles through menus

Fun settings
ROOT
GAME
CHR INS
WORLD CHR MAN
c0000 (this is your character)
Chr Bas Info
CHR TYPE (Phantom, Invader, Human, etc)
TEAM TYPE (1 is player, 6 is enemy)​
Animation
DebugPlaySpeed (make all of your movements faster)​
Havok
No Gravity
Switch dead Rugdoll

GameData
Change Character Param
HUGE list of NPC's that you can play as. Activate one and your character will adopt all of the selected characters gear, stats, and items. It's basically hundreds of pre-fab cosplay builds. BUT BE CAREFUL, it will overwrite your character. This is best done on a backup save, or a backup character.

Game Rend
Filter
(Japanese characters after tonemap)
Toggle this top setting, then the below visual values will activate and can be tweaked
Brightness
Contrast
Saturation
Hue

LOD
LOD -2 through 2 (Lower values means further away objects are fully render. At -2, it seems like it renders everything visible)

How to control enemies

While in game,
Debug Menu>GAME>CHR INS>WORLD CHR MAN>

[c0000](21) this is your character.

The option above it is the list of other chars.

Select one that has a filled in circle next to it.

Select "Switch control Player" to play as that enemy

Select "Return control player" to go back to contorlling your character

Basic controls are

Move with left stick
Turn with right stick
Dodge with d-pad
Attack with triggers and face buttons

To actually have enemies fight back,

there should be a "CHR Stats" options, or something like that.

Within there, set your Team ID to 1 and enemies will treat you as if you're the player character.

This is where you can set coordinates to teleport your character to (Thanks Backfoggen!)
SSC86py.jpg

Works well with No Gravity

I made a post over in another thread with a bunch of details about the debug build which I'll quote here.

I just spent like 7 hours working through a bunch of debug stuff with someone and learned so much.

Important info:

The debug version can connect with the Steam Beta version as well as other debug versions.

If someone is playing as a boss with the debug, the other person in game doesn't actually see them and doesn't take damage from their attacks. The only way for someone to maliciously attack someone with a boss currently is to teleport a boss in, make them invincible, and set their team ID. The current dream of "boss vs boss" PVP isn't possible unfortunately.

You can enable ragdoll on your co-op partners for hilarious results (it's only visible on your end - no effect to the companion)

You can do this to just about any character in the game.

If you use debug to take control of your co-op partners character, it has no effect on them UNLESS you backstab an opponent. then it will teleport them to the backstab.

There is a HUGE list of basically 300+ NPC's from Dark Souls, all as quick switch characters that have the stats, looks, and equipment of actual NPC's throughout the game. For example, there are multiple Solaires, meeting in burg, meeting in Anor Londo, meeting bugged, with different stats each. Using this, you can verify the stats of NPC's at different points of the game.

You can use the debug menu to force you and a friend into a reserved lobby where only you two will connect to one another. Me and the person I was co-oping with was able to test a bunch of vagrant item stuff with it, even though the menus are all in japanese ~-~

There is a toggle to disable gravity, which basically means you don't descend.

Oh man! This one was the craziest! Okay, so I was getting attacked by a black knight, and then I switched over to controlling them, and they actually had a target lock on on my character! Like the actual enemies you face have a lock on as well! I saw the little target lock on icon over myself when I was playing as the black knight enemy! It seriously felt so eerie switching over and seeing it from the point of view of an enemy, where I'm just another target the same way I treat all the enemies like another target.

When co-oping, you can use the no-gravity or teleport to get out of the fog walled boundaries and co-op through areas you're supposed to get separated at. But - if you load a new area, as in a level name transition pops up it'll boot the co-op partner.

There is an animation speed toggle where you can just make your self faster. Is useful for exploring around areas.

I had no kill and no damage enabled while I was falling from Dark Root garden and I succumbed to the abyss, which seems to mean that the abyss is somewhere beneath the garden area.

There were a lot of things with implied meaning that I wasn't able to actually come to a definite result on. More testing need be done!

Theres some really cool stuff in the debug menus.

The Good Stuff (More to come!)

shlump_by_alooo81-d8a9599.gif

http://a.pomf.se/bodina.webm

http://a.pomf.se/lcpkoq.webm

http://a.pomf.se/icphxa.webm

Vitor711

Boss vs Boss PVP would be amazing. Let's keep the dream alive guys.

Also, no-one's allowed to pick the puzzle bosses. I think ceaseless discharge may be broken if you did.

I had no kill and no damage enabled while I was falling from Dark Root garden and I succumbed to the abyss, which seems to mean that the abyss is somewhere beneath the garden area.
There's no way that's intentional. I don't believe it. That's madness.

yatesl

Does Dark Souls use VAC? I'm concerned that Valve/From will target this, similar to the Dark Souls 2 'hacks'.

Especially as this can be used online.

Guevara

Co-op with all the former knights of Gwyn. How jolly would that be?

uh oh... not so fast Smough; you were just an executioner.

TGMIII

Does Dark Souls use VAC? I'm concerned that Valve/From will target this, similar to the Dark Souls 2 'hacks'.

Especially as this can be used online.

Dark souls doesn't use VAC currently and DS2 disabled VAC earlier in the year.

Havel

Holding RB+RT and tapping LB birngs up a second debug menu, up to 4. Holding RB+RT and pressing LT closes the menu, and holding RB while tapping LT cycles through. This makes tasks so much easier.

On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. The Abyss overtook Oolacile and we know that the Royal Woods is the same place as Darkroot Garden but in the past, so.... yeah. ;)

Oh, it makes sense.

But that's just too good to be intentional. No way that they would code a fallback for someone hacking the game to make lore sense with something they wouldn't do for like a whole year after release.

Gbraga

Oh, it makes sense.

But that's just too good to be intentional. No way that they would code a fallback for someone hacking the game to make lore sense with something they wouldn't do for like a whole year after release.

Wasn't it supposed to be part of the game, but then cut because of budget and time constraints?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Holding RB+RT and tapping LB birngs up a second debug menu, up to 4. Holding RB+RT and pressing LT closes the menu, and holding RB while tapping LT cycles through. This makes tasks so much easier.

Oh dude holy shit. This is huge. Thanks for sharing this, throwing it in the OP.

Nyoro SF

I love this shit soooo much, keep the info coming. It's like a new window into a familiar game that provides a whole new perspective on everything.

I remember reading all the unfinished stuff in the DSWiki and being sad they couldn't put it in. Hopefully we find more cool stuff like that.

Molemitts

Wow, this seems really cool. Can you invade people's worlds while disguised as a monster or boss? That would scare the shit out of me.

This could have a lot of potential for machinima. I want to see more!

Potentially important heads-up: "Don't mess with the GameData-->Change Character Param" on your main save. It will save right over your character.

Havel

Wow, this seems really cool. Can you invade people's worlds while disguised as a monster or boss? That would scare the shit out of me.

This could have a lot of potential for machinima. I want to see more!

Sadly no, it is all client-side based.

Myriadis

I loved watching what the Ocarina of Time Debug Rom could do (and it had a lot, like a cutscene/camera editor and tons of values to play with), and I love to see stuff like this.

Top Bottom