• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARK SOULS II Announced - [PC/PS3/360 - PR in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much easier than the ability to summon players do people even want it?
I think it's a fantastic concept but it already takes away most of the challenge.

Strife91

How much easier than the ability to summon players do people even want it?
I think it's a fantastic concept but it already takes away most of the challenge.

Yeah. Easy mode is already built into the game. I only have to heal in co-op. My sun brothers will do the fighting.

Wanny

Oh, and fix those fucking "Summoning has failed" while we're at it. I don't want to see it anymore. Never. Ever. k?

Pejo

As much as i agree with everyone who doesn't want any hand holding, multiple difficulties, and dumbing down, i don't think they are going to listen.

Several of you keep saying, "if you don't like it, this game isn't for you" which again I agree with. Problem is, Bamco is trying to make money, and from a marketing approach they want to make as many people play it as possible.

They already know fans will buy it either way since there is no experience like it, so if they want to grow, they have to attract new players. I wish it wasn't the case, but no company ever says "I'm okay if our sales don't grow!"

EasyMode

Oh, and fix those fucking "Summoning has failed" while we're at it. I don't want to see it anymore. Never. Ever. k?

Well they said Dark Souls II will be going back to servers, so failed connections should be very rare. In Demon's Souls it only happened to me once out of hundreds of sessions, in Dark Souls it was the norm.

Sid

As much as i agree with everyone who doesn't want any hand holding, multiple difficulties, and dumbing down, i don't think they are going to listen.

Several of you keep saying, "if you don't like it, this game isn't for you" which again I agree with. Problem is, Bamco is trying to make money, and from a marketing approach they want to make as many people play it as possible.

They already know fans will buy it either way since there is no experience like it, so if they want to grow, they have to attract new players. I wish it wasn't the case, but no company ever says "I'm okay if our sales don't grow!"
The problem with that is if it becomes TOO different from what it is the hardcore fans would have to drop the franchise and the casuals won't be enough to carry this kind of game on their backs heck demon's souls' sales surge was mainly due to word of mouth.

In Dark Souls anything else would be a miracle for me. 9 out of 10 summonings/invasions would fail on me.

I did last night like what 30 invasions, failed only once. But I won't deny it's far worse than with dedicated servers.

The problem with that is if it becomes TOO different from what it is the hardcore fans would have to drop the franchise and the casuals won't be enough to carry this kind of game on their backs heck demon's souls' sales surge was mainly due to word of mouth.

Best example would be Ninja gaiden 3.

Pejo

Again i totally agree with you, but since when have publishers ever learned their lessons with these kinds of things. Look at Capcom with western reboots.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

I knew the trailer was cut in no chronological order, The helmet was discussed here, weather effect might be just for the trailer (Hopefully they add weather effects on the game) The Masked guys give me vibes of Mask of The Father, Mother and Son which they might be connected to a covenant/cult maybe. Giving the feather probably represents a quest where the bird companion of the lady has been killed and the knight was the bearer of bad news or/and it could be a quest item.

The world seems a bit more older than DS1 world with less architectures and more natural looking areas.(At some points might even give Nordic Vibes with the cold looking areas) The lady on the trailer could simply be an important NPC sorta like The Maiden in Black was important to the plot of Demon Souls or simply just one of the many NPCs around the game. The Knight carrying 1 weapon might have been a decision for faster movement or dual wielding later on.

Don't know if I should start a new thread - Marcus aka EpicNameBro, a very well known member of DS community had to remove all the video from his trailer analysis vid due to copyright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpS0HMzqnTQ

What do I see today? IGN's trailer analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ElpE-1XQI

Really Namco? Really?

Blame Spike for their embargo on all VGA content which ended on monday.
ENB uploaded his trailer analysis BEFORE the embargo lifted meaning he could not include any video.
IGN on other hand uploaded it well after it ended.

Zaventem

And when the franchise is dead and in 10 - 15 years the look to reboot and cater to the people that made more of the souls games possible they'll come with the "Hey guys remember this hard game you liked it's getting rebooted to be hard again! prepare to die LOL!" It always happens..

I mean these people who want easy mode are they're the type of people that think the "must" have what they want at all times.I saw a comment on gamasutra talking about how much copies Gears and Skyrim sold and how much better it would be if it catered to everyone because the commenter wants to play it.Another one from The official xbox mag site i bookmarked this one because it's damn ridiculous..
It's on the 2nd comments page.

msbhvn said:
Even after all I've said, it bugs me that so many people are enjoying it and I seemingly can't. No other game has done that before. Normally if I see people enjoying a game I hate, I just think they're easily satisfied or have different priorities, but with DS it feels like I'm missing out on something fantastic that I'd love, if there was just some way to see it. It's like those 1990s magic eye pictures, I could never see those buggers.

Sid

Again i totally agree with you, but since when have publishers ever learned their lessons with these kinds of things. Look at Capcom with western reboots.
I'm hoping namco isn't as stupid as capcom.

I knew the trailer was cut in no chronological order, The helmet was discussed here, weather effect might be just for the trailer (Hopefully they add weather effects on the game) The Masked guys give me vibes of Mask of The Father, Mother and Son which they might be connected to a covenant/cult maybe. Giving the feather probably represents a quest where the bird companion of the lady has been killed and the knight was the bearer of bad news or/and it could be a quest item.

The world seems a bit more older than DS1 world with less architectures and more natural looking areas.(At some points might even give Nordic Vibes with the cold looking areas) The lady on the trailer could simply be an important NPC sorta like The Maiden in Black was important to the plot of Demon Souls or simply just one of the many NPCs around the game. The Knight carrying 1 weapon might have been a decision for faster movement or dual wielding later on.
Weather effects would be so cool and i'm hoping we'll see and learn more of the dragons this time around.

Which is even more puzzling as From retained publishing rights in Japan. Mind you, they could've went with Namco, I'm sure they would've given the game bigger push. But they didn't, they are publishing the game themselves for PS3, X360 (wtf?) and PC (lol!).

Vazra

I'm hoping namco isn't as stupid as capcom.

Weather effects would be so cool and i'm we'll see more of the dragons this time around.

Dynamic Weather with Day and Night cycles too I would melt.

Imagine the Taurus Demon you fight on Dark Souls for the first time if it was night and raining and other playthrough just normal etc.

DFHIODSHFIDSOF I want.

UrbanRats

Comic is lying... I carefully and slowly went up a circular stair, only to find a black knight on the top then. I COULD NOT PREPARE!

If you walk up there, he doesn't attack you before you're able to see it, though not knowing he's there, is near impossible since you'll be hard pressed to sprint a little on the stairs.

Zaventem

With weather effects they could have better world events like Demon's Souls black/white tendency.X NPC only appears in the rain after you do Y.Or harder versions of enemies appear at night.. i mean i'm 99% sure that's not gonna happen but we can dream.

Vazra

With weather effects they could have better world events like Demon's Souls black/white tendency.X NPC only appears in the rain after you do Y.Or harder versions of enemies appear at night.. i mean i'm 99% sure that's not gonna happen but we can dream.

Different enemies depending Day and Night Cycles and maybe special enemies appear on the harshest weathers would be so awesome.

So is Demon's Souls done as a franchise? Or was Dark Souls a sequel to it? Never really payed attention to this game.

Also should i play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before this one?

So is Demon's Souls done as a franchise? Or was Dark Souls a sequel to it? Never really payed attention to this game.

Sony holds the rights to Demon's Souls, that's why FROM did Dark Souls, so they could be multi. Play DeS and then DaS. They're not connected story-wise, though.
But, yes play them both.

jimi_dini

With weather effects they could have better world events like Demon's Souls black/white tendency.X NPC only appears in the rain after you do Y.Or harder versions of enemies appear at night..

Combine this with the LOCAL WEATHER of the player (IP-geotracking + weather online) and local time. Ha!

It's night outside + raining -> you are already dead.jpg

Zaventem

You should play Demon's Souls first before you leap into Dark Souls so you can notice the changes.Not to mention Demon's Souls worlds taking everything into consideration is better as a whole than Dark Souls imo.Not that Dark Souls is bad it just has really low areas that seems rushed.

I was just thinking, in the context of the trailer's reveal at the VGAs, the music should have been I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home, then record scratch as the character dies...

Mileena

Banned
For those worried about an easy mode diluting the souls experience and offering no incentive for the casual player to work through hard mode. What about these suggestions:

1) If you play on easy mode you get a different ending, or even end the game a few areas early through an unnavoidable/story related death, making it clear that you failed because you were a coward/a cheat.
It could be called "coward's mode"

2) If you play on easy mode you don't get any trophies.

Surely this would give some kind of incentive for a player who completed easy mode to try hard mode straight after.
It would also appease fans of the series to know that casual players are still punished.

I just think there is so much about the series that should be seen by more people. The level design, art, architecture and general atmosphere.

I love both of your points. Coward mode could also be called bitch mode.

I hope it doesn't get an easy mode though.

Nyoro SF

Comic is lying... I carefully and slowly went up a circular stair, only to find a black knight on the top then. I COULD NOT PREPARE!

If you stick your head out of the opening and move the camera you can see him standing there and he won't attack.

The key is to walk slowly in areas where you can't see well.

TheMink

I dont have a problem with other people easy, as long as it gives priority to a veteran invading them if they are human hehehehehe.
If they feel like they need to be human to get help for a fight on easy, they deserve to be crushed under the iron fist of the veteran.

Oh so most enemies do 20 dmg per hit? HERES 700 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Vazra

Combine this with the LOCAL WEATHER of the player (IP-geotracking + weather online) and local time. Ha!

It's night outside + raining -> you are already dead.jpg

But I cant play Dark Souls on a Storm!!!

sounds like farming hell

Not really since the dynamic weather would be changing constantly giving you chances to do so, the only weather effect that might be rare thing might be storm or something which can be some kind of special events.

Orayn

Demon's Souls was a flight of fancy where From Software teamed up with SCEJ to make a spiritual successor to King's Field. Sony didn't feel like publishing it overseas, so From found other publishing partners and wound up turning to them for a multiplatform sequel.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls don't really have any story connections, but the gameplay is extremely similar.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't think this has been posted often enough:

http://i.imgur.com/Rpnlc.jpg[IMG]

A little bit of patience and planning is enough to get through the game.

You can find countless posts of people rage quitting because [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_RV7la38Q"]insanity[/URL](minor Far Cry 3 spoilers) as a strategy didn't work.[/QUOTE]

I have 130 hours in the game and have explored and enjoyed a lot of the game.. i can easily run around and pluck the hairs out of most of the enemies noses without getting a scratch nor getting killed by the unexpected.

But let me ask you a question : why the hell are you so obsessed about how other people are enjoying their games..?

Unless the core of the game gets broken, why not let other people enjoy it too?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Sort of hope the servers are version / region locked again like Demon's so people can stop commenting on all my videos how Japanese people online are cheap lowly backstabbing scum etc.

Hindle

Banned
Weather would be awesome, they could change the terrain as well. Like a forest area becomes all muddy and flooded impeding your progress.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Weather would be awesome, they could change the terrain as well. Like a forest area becomes all muddy and flooded impeding your progress.

I wouldn't expect anything like this. Maybe next gen but I'm assuming this will be a lot more like Dark Souls 1 than Dark Souls was like Demon's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom