• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

RK9039

PS3 player here.

To all the PC 'elites'; made this just for you:

VEDULUT.gif

Join us in the un-Dark.

Umbasa.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I am a huge pc gamer nowadays, but refusing to buy this game is like knocking back Super Mario 3 because it does not do parallax scrolling/mapping.

We have are going to have the best version of an amazing game, lap it up dudes.

Well, its more like if Nintendo previewed SM3 and there was a shit ton of parallax scrolling and then they released the game without it. So in the middle of playing a legendary game, I would probably wonder at some point how it could have been even more legendary. And then I would keep on playing.

dsk1210

Well, its more like if Nintendo previewed SM3 and there was a shit ton of parallax scrolling and then they released the game without it. So in the middle of playing a legendary game, I would probably wonder at some point how it could have been even more legendary. And then I would keep on playing.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but the fact is that in my head I expected nothing more than a competent version after the problems with the original, they have exceeded my expectations this time :)

I do still wish the lighting was up to the tgs demo quality though,but a great game is a great game no matter what.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Gameplay parity.
Well, I think that every platform must have all that it deserves. If PS3/X360 won't have some gameplay mechanics cuz they can't handle new lighting engine, let them suffer because of it.

Grief.exe
From has a much and much better lighting system than even Bethesda can afford (and they don't care about it), such a shame that From will not use it in full force on PC but as I said before, I will buy the game no matter what.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I completely understand where you are coming from, but the fact is that in my head I expected nothing more than a competent version after the problems with the original, they have exceeded my expectations this time :)

I do still wish the lighting was up to the tgs demo quality though,but a great game is a great game no matter what.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, my Hollow brethren! Just made it to Iron Keep, 60 hours strong and going. Hopefully will be done with the first playthrough in time for the PC version. 60fps is going to be glorious.

Stet

Banned
bare minimum expectations reached = no arguments to be made.

Yeah, there's this as well. Yes, this is by all rights a much better port than DS1, but that port was a travesty. Why should we celebrating mediocrity simply because it's better than failure?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so curious to hear your impressions once you've finished it. I mean, it doesn't drop off in the second half like Dark, but it does have a Lost Izalith 2.0
Oh.

Fuck me.

U-R

But you'll support "fraudulent practices" later, but to a lesser degree.

There is a bit of a difference between being accounted among the day1/preorder fans and being part of the cheapo long-tail noise. Being there day1 signals that the marketing department was right in bullshitting the fans.

RK9039

To be honest FromSoftware tried so hard, and they did get quite far. But in the end it doesn't even matter anymore.

Tain

From has a much and much better lighting system than even Bethesda can afford (and they don't care about it), such a shame that From will not use it in full force on PC but as I said before, I will buy the game no matter what.

You aren't referring to Beast, are you? Because that's fully leveraged in the console and PC retail versions.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You aren't referring to Beast, are you? Because that's fully leveraged in the console and PC retail versions.
All I'm saying is From do not need a huge budget to aford a good lighting engine cuz they already have it, but Bethesda just don't care much about this stuff, only moders do care and thank god for them (^_^)

Pretty sure all the meat to this story has been stripped to the bone guys

Only thing left I would love to see is their next media interview.

Assuming the outlet interviewing them hammers on this issue.

Did the Japanese media pick up on this story also?

Im not hearing a damn word out of them

dsk1210

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, my Hollow brethren! Just made it to Iron Keep, 60 hours strong and going. Hopefully will be done with the first playthrough in time for the PC version. 60fps is going to be glorious.

I have left myself untainted with information except the recent PC footage, and it looks great to me, I just hope it maintains the quality the whole way through this time.

Pretty sure all the meat to this story has been stripped to the bone guys

Only thing left I would love to see is their next media interview.

Assuming the outlet interviewing them hammers on this issue.

Did the Japanese media pick up on this story also?

Im not hearing a damn word out of them

We got a few articles here and there, like this one on forbes, reporting about the lack of pre-release lighting and geometry in the PC build.

I hope FraudSoftware and Scamco don't get out of this too easily.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How will PC 60fps change the timings of dodge and other shit? The game is designed for 30fps?

Grief.exe

How will PC 60fps change the timings of dodge and other shit? The game is designed for 30fps?

So increasing the frame rate doesn't change the timescale in any way.

A second is still the same length of time, you have just doubled the frames rendered over that time period.

You will be able to see and respond to threats quicker. At 30 FPS, a frame is only rendered every .03 seconds while at 60 FPS every .01 seconds.

any confirmation of frame rate limits yet? can we do 120?

We have been asking, but haven't heard anything.

Sullichin

It's not "designed for 30" since the framerate is unlocked and not exactly 30 most of the time on either of the console versions.

any confirmation of frame rate limits yet? can we do 120?

Yup, the framerate is unlocked on consoles this time. Dark Souls 1 on PC feels really weird to me at 60fps, no matter how hard I tried to get used to it. I think it will feel much better this time considering it's not locked out of the box, and it seems that way from the previews.

I asked PC gamer on twitter if they managed to get above 60fps, didn't get an answer.

impact

Banned
What part do you consider to be Lost Izalith 2.0? Feel free to cover it in spoiler tags.

The
Black Gulch

Good thing is
you can run through it to the boss gate in 30 seconds
, but it's still some of the worst level design I've ever seen in my many years of gaming.

Yup, the framerate is unlocked on consoles this time. Dark Souls 1 on PC feels really weird to me at 60fps, no matter how hard I tried to get used to it. I think it will feel much better this time considering it's not locked out of the box, and it seems that way from the previews.

I asked PC gamer on twitter if they managed to get above 60fps, didn't get an answer.

I really want the original to get a remake/update someday

Talk about a game I can replay over and over

Yoshichan

Shit. Had no idea DkS2 was unlocked fps on console... god damn.

Why? The only thing we need is GFWL removal.

First shot is Stallion's

Apparently, they just rarely go above 30.

I think the 360 version has better frame rate overall.

Because my pc

Also the mods arent exactly 100% reliable.

I have literally spent hours troubleshooting the damn game one time I tried to reinstall everything on a new machine

Give me Dark Souls remastered collection on PS4 please.

Also PC is flooded with chester cheetahs

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Because my pc

Also the mods arent exactly 100% reliable.

I have literally spent hours troubleshooting the damn game one time I tried to reinstall everything on a new machine

Give me Dark Souls remastered collection on PS4 please.

Also PC is flooded with chester cheetahs

The only mod that matters is 100% reliable, and in 200+ hours and tons of PVP i can count the cheaters i've seen on 1 hand.

The PS3 version of dark souls 2 has a much bigger problem with people using edited save games.

Top Bottom