• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-dark-souls-ii-A108297.html

Horrible machine translation follows:

The evolution graph is however obvious, and not just because the game runs on a good PC at 60 fps. Version as a basis, we are assured we, the adjustments on consoles - with a frame rate divided by two, is not changed a hardware aging. Officially, nothing is planned for the next generation consoles.

Q&A:

Q: The demo presented during the event ran on PC. This means there is also a PC version developed in-house?

A: The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

Q: You also mentioned a new graphics engine for Dark Souls II. Is it an engine taken from zero or an adaptation of the former?

A: Yes, we reprogrammed from A to Z. We have not included elements from the previous engine.

Q: Does this mean that the game could also be created on the next generation consoles?

A: Regarding Dark Souls II , the engine was not created with the next-generation Focus. Development of the first Dark Souls was particularly long, the engine was obsolete. It is for this reason that we wanted to start from scratch with Dark Souls II, to be able to fully express what we wanted. I know that the next generation of consoles are recurring themes this year, but the potential of the Xbox 360 and PS3 has not yet been fully exploited. This is why our attention is focused on current machines. For the moment, we do not believe in a port of Dark Souls II or in any other capacity on future machines.

http://www.vandal.net/avances/pc/dark-souls-ii/20225/1

All that showed on a PC running at 60 frames per second, and it shows that now have worked from the beginning in the PC version, which is much more polished, with better textures and lighting effects care. In consoles have set a goal to reach 30fps, and prevent serious falls in the rate of images that had some of the areas of the first Dark Souls, which were almost unplayable.

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/15249/3796/0/dark-souls-ii/

Yet there will still distinguish between consoles and computers, as the co-director of the project, Yui Tanimura, we confirmed to our searching questions that will play at 60 frames per second on PC while the rate will remain at the 30 for consoles. Yes, FromSoftware wanted this time to be very clear about it and has promised that the frame rate will not fall under any circumstances, since it is something I have taken great care and effort.

DARKS2_PC_PFT_Front1-e1365704062579.jpg

Boxart, no GFWL in sight.

edit: Actually it should be SteamWorks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66412481&postcount=319

RaffAO

Excellent. Has anything been said about improving the networking? Dark Souls was pretty broken online on any platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
iYrqk0ehz965c.gif

So they have to develop an entirely new engine, for next gen?
One of the directors mentioned they were evaluating middleware at the same time, so perhaps they intend to license an engine for next-gen.

That or they might intend to retrofit this one later.

I think I'm still going to stick with the PS3 version at launch and maybe get the PC one during a steam sale. I still need to play through Dark Souls again since I haven't played my PC copy.

m-bison-yes-o.gif

One of the directors mentioned they were evaluating middleware at the same time, so perhaps they intend to license an engine for next-gen.

That or they might intend to retrofit this one later.

Given the rendering techniques I saw in the demo, ratcheting this up to "next gen" ready... really should not be that hard.

Niwa

So if it really run's on a constant 30FPS, fine by me! But I can't believe that there won't be drops. As optimistic as I want to be..

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Engine not created with next gen in mind it's either a major case of short sightedness or just bull shit.
I assume both next gen consoles will make it pretty easy to move engines from PC to them. That's what I gathered from Sony's presentation, and the next Xbox will likely share a lot in common with Windows 8, so I'm guessing a focus on PC would make it easiest to make those available for next gen.

I'd be shocked if these games don't come out on the next gen platforms.

The release is 2014, right? Even if it was worse I would be going PC as I'm not going to have a ps3 hooked up anymore by then.

Nice to see that they are targeting the PC this time though. While I'm still grateful to Durante for the work he did to fix that game... it's insane that he even had to do it in the first place.

Wow, great news, now it just needs to get rid of GFWL. I still have connection issues with summons/invasions on the PC version of Dark Souls. It worked much better on the PS3.

Sorral

So I wasn't wrong in thinking that it really wasn't 30fps in the video they showed. Most animations were too smooth compared to the previous games to be 30fps again. Amazing work either way.

I will believe it when I see it.

New engine. I don't doubt it...
much

Risette

A Good Citizen
Maybe they mean they just don't care about porting their new engine to consoles with zero install base and an uncertain future. They're probably developing the engine on workstation PCs that poop on next gen consoles. Let's be realistic.

Soriku

I assume both next gen consoles will make it pretty easy to move engines from PC to them. That's what I gathered from Sony's presentation, and the next Xbox will likely share a lot in common with Windows 8, so I'm guessing a focus on PC would make it easiest to make those available for next gen.

By then everyone would have played it on PS3/360/PC and it'd be more worth it to just move on to a brand new next-gen game.

Ridley327

Engine not created with next gen in mind it's either a major case of short sightedness or just bull shit.

It's probably just a modified version of PhyreEngine that they're working with, with some stuff they didn't have for DeS or DkS1. Slowdowns seem to be a problem with that engine for virtually every game that uses it (even Journey could get some nasty drops), so I'd have to think they're optimizing it for consoles so that if it does drop, it won't be during important bits.

TheExodu5

Banned
iYrqk0ehz965c.gif

So they have to develop an entirely new engine, for next gen?

No, it just means that next-gen isn't a focus. It's very likely that porting to next-gen or making a sequel with the same engine wouldn't be that difficult considering next-gen is using an x86 architecture.

Violater

I assume both next gen consoles will make it pretty easy to move engines from PC to them. That's what I gathered from Sony's presentation, and the next Xbox will likely share a lot in common with Windows 8, so I'm guessing a focus on PC would make i t easiest to make those available for next gen.

We can make those port assumptions I just don't want to buy it on pc only for a PS4 version top be released shortly thereafter.

Yeah... I actually believe they can pull off 30 FPS on consoles
with a graphical downgrade of course
The downgrade part is why I'm over this gen, In fear that the gap is going to widen significantly soon. Talks of next gen games being 30 fps standard is equally disturbing.

Top Bottom