• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I'm very late, but impressions of final build are bad? eek my media blackout may end shortly.

is it just graphics that look bad or do the mechanics suffer?

edit: have CE PS3 preordered now, will get steam version on the cheap for later

Sanctuary

Dude, that has been the case for so many console to pc games now that I can tell you the overwhelming conclusion is that it really doesn't matter. Consoles are still a bulk of the game sale and pc will give a nice alternative avenue of income.

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand what you quoted, especially given the statements about how the PC was the "main platform". So what, the "main platform" was somewhow not finished before the "secondary" platforms? Okay. Reread what you quoted. Besides that, the majority of console ports were always delayed for PC, because they were...wait for it...ports. Sometimes not even considered during development.

It tells you exactly in the same answer you've read that instead of patches, it will be calibrated with the servers. So unbalanced issues will most likely be able to be fixed, but things like lighting and stuff, that's another story.

Read the article, and if it's "calibrated server side", that's fucking awful. It means that online is mandatory to have the latest version while playing.

JoeFenix

Man, this thread is really sad. I still can't believe people watch streams and spoil shit. Some people are just way too invested in this stuff. All this chat about lighting, downgraded graphics, etc. just from viewing someone else play the game? Is that what you're compelled to do before the launch of a game you're (were) excited for? Why not catch up on some of From's older catalog instead? I don't get it. I would have felt like such a boner back in the day if there were streams/videos of old King's Field games and I watched/critiqued them before I even got my hands on the game. I wasn't even fucking thinking about shit like that because those thoughts/concerns didn't even exist back then!

I still feel like modern social media has ruined most of the gaming community. There's too much exposure/information available before a game is released. I've found it so difficult to even want to talk about games with people anymore because of discussions like this. It sucks that you can't have real discussions with people anymore without knowing if they actually played the game or "watched" it on YouTube or some stupid streaming site.

Whatever, I've been playing Demon's Souls all day. I've had some problems and issues with the Beta and was curious about seeing if there were improvements or not in terms of the issues I had. I discovered a whole slew of even more surprising/problematic issues in terms of my sensibilities and decided to watch some more to see if I could deal with them and still want to spend 60$ fucking dollars on this game. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see some more footage, not my problem if some people abuse that and completely ruin things for themselves. It's actually kind of sad that you're bothered by the fact that people can decide to watch something or not. I get the whole mystique thing being lost but if you bunker up and stay out of this thread it'll feel just like the good ol' days. I promise.

And what the fuck defines a real discussion anyway? You can critique certain aspects of a game (especially obvious visual/design flaws) from watching parts of it being played. If you don't care about the issues being discussed then just move on, what the hell does your post even bring to the table anyway? That we should just hype ourselves into oblivion by playing all the developers back catalogue and blindly hope for the best even if we have some very real concerns? I guess?

The only real problem I see here is the chain of borderline viral over reactions that one negative or positive opinion can cause prior to release, people have to learn to take opinions for what they're worth. I made it absolutely crystal clear that I hadn't played the game past the Beta and that my qualms were largely based on visual issues. Since those issues mattered to me I thought some other people would like to know about them too because I'm sure some other people also value these things as much as I do.

It's no different than caring about the music of a game and being disappointed by the questionable songs that you hear pre-release. It happens all the time and I bet you don't bat an eyelid when it does. Just because some aspect of a game seems trivial to you doesn't mean it's not important to someone else's enjoyment of that game. It's great that people have more options to decide if they feel like something is worth their time and money.

If you want to have a real discussion how about you start one instead of regurgitating the same shit about the internet ruining everything for everyone and how much better everything was when you were younger and blah blah blah. No one is forcing you to watch a stream and no one is forcing you to read a discussion forum thread about a game that's not out yet. You're clearly not interested in talking and reading about the game yet so why are you even in here?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I kept telling myself "This time is real, i'm sure!" and after seeing the Blizzard or Square ones i really wanted to believe.

Once? Sure. Twice? Maybe. Thrice? You only had yourself to blame. :)

so I'm very late, but impressions of final build are bad? eek my media blackout may end shortly.

is it just graphics that look bad or do the mechanics suffer?

edit: have CE PS3 preordered now, will get steam version on the cheap for later

Apparently, the graphics are bland, the lighting is non-existent, cats and dogs are fucking in the streets, the seas are boiling with blood and the Beast of Dulwich has been seen as far afield as Leeds Castle.

You are just in time for The End of Days and the Fall of the From Software Empire.

Yuterald

Apparently, the graphics are bland, the lighting is non-existent, cats and dogs are fucking in the streets, the seas are boiling with blood and the Beast of Dulwich has been seen as far afield as Leeds Castle.

You are just in time for The End of Days and the Fall of the From Software Empire.

From can't perish yet though! They still need to make King's Field V for PS4!

Gadzooks! Ughhhhhhhhhh haha thanks.

Feindflug

Playing 360 version. Some real noticeable screen tear, but the game seems without question sharper overall than it's predecessor. I've only made it to
the outdoor town by the sea
and it looks really nice to me.

With all this downgrade talk the funny thing is that some guy at Beyond3D said that the 360 version runs at 1280*720 when the first game run at 1024*720...I don't personally see the point in upping the resolution if you have to pair back the lighting and have an unlocked frame-rate but whatever.

Also just saw the
Mirror Knight
screenshot from the final version and all I have to say is wtf From? what the hell happened to the engine in the last few months? :(

SJRB

Gold Member

Have people tripped over each other yelling "PRE ORDER CANCELED!!!" yet?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Read the article, and if it's "calibrated server side", that's fucking awful. It means that online is mandatory to have the latest version while playing.

I am shocked, nay appalled that FROM would do server side calibrations for a game they designed to be played online.

This is a travesty.

Have people tripped over each other yelling "PRE ORDER CANCELED!!!" yet?

It's like a digital Black Friday in here.

I welcome critiquing the game but it is a damn shame this thread has turned into petty arguments with each other.

I might end up playing as a warrior though I have never been a magic person in the past two games. Decisions!

MilkBeard

heh. That's the funniest thing I've read today. This thread could use some humor.

MilkBeard

I welcome critiquing the game but it is a damn shame this thread has turned into petty arguments with each other.

I might end up playing as a warrior though I have never been a magic person in the past two games. Decisions!

I think I'm gonna do Explorer in DSII. I like the high adaptability and the ability to go magic if need be. If there's a useless stat later on in the game I'll just probably respec.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
From can't perish yet though! They still need to make King's Field V for PS4!

tumblr_m0wtboSBv41qa5ygb.gif

I think I'm gonna do Explorer in DSII. I like the high adaptability and the ability to go magic if need be. If there's a useless stat later on in the game I'll just probably respec.

That's my thinking. I love the Explorer's armour and reliance on gadgets.

It's either that or I go Swordsman for the Wanderer armour or Knight for the sweet cloak.

That damn beret, though... I'll bear with it since I want the items and the Adaptability. I'll miss not having a proper thief-like class. But I'll forgive it if there's something akin to the Gold-Hemmed Black Set.

MilkBeard

That damn beret, though... I'll bear with it since I want the items and the Adaptability. I'll miss not having a proper thief-like class. But I'll forgive it if there's something akin to the Gold-Hemmed Black Set.

Yeah ha ha, that beret is the only thing keeping me from really digging the Explorer. Thing is though, taking it off is probably not going to affect your chances that much. I bet you will be able to find a helmet early on in the game that will be better anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With all this downgrade talk the funny thing is that some guy at Beyond3D said that the 360 version runs at 1280*720 when the first game run at 1024*720...I don't personally see the point in upping the resolution if you have to pair back the lighting and have an unlocked frame-rate but whatever.

Also just saw the
Mirror Knight
screenshot from the final version and all I have to say is wtf From? what the hell happened to the engine in the last few months? :(
Let's not forget that Demon's Souls also ran at 1280x720.

Yeah ha ha, that beret is the only thing keeping me from really digging the Explorer. Thing is though, taking it off is probably not going to affect your chances that much. I bet you will be able to find a helmet early on in the game that will be better anyway.
Watch it have a really cool buff like increasing item drop rate or something that will force me to bear with it.
That, the monocle and the stuffed eagle are my favourite things about it!
It certainly screams eccentric. It wouldn't hurt to bring some fashionability to the plebeians of Drangleic, however.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It certainly screams eccentric. It wouldn't hurt to bring some fashionability to the plebeians of Drangleic, however.

If berets and monocles ever stop looking cool, may Gwyn himself come down from The Kiln adorned in a black and white stripy sweater and strike me down with nought but fiery baguettes and smite me with nought but a string of explosive onions.

So, how does this actually look in the game?

ds07_zpsdefe8849.jpg

I have a screen cap from one of the streams (WARNING: Spoilers):

UnrealEck

Going by what I've saw of the game, (I posted this before too) I agree with the comments about the environments. I also said they seemed to look boring and poorly designed. Lots of boring right angled rooms with a few pots in them.

If berets and monocles ever stop looking cool, may Gwyn himself come down from The Kiln adorned in a black and white stripy sweater and strike me down with nought but fiery baguettes and smite me with nought but a string of explosive onions.
You'd be luckier if the game was set before they were cool.
Otherwise, we are looking at a pre-cursor to the fedora.

Brohan

Couldn't it just be missing a day one patch? I mean people shouldn't even be able to play yet.

I just think it would be very weird for them to downgrade the game at the last moment while people have been playing the Beta just fine on their PS3's.

Makes no sense.

doofy102

Couldn't it just be missing a day one patch? I mean people shouldn't even be able to play yet.

I just think it would be very weird for them to downgrade the game at the last moment while people have been playing the Beta just fine on their PS3's.

Makes no sense.

How big would that patch need to be?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Makes no sense.
There's already a mandatory 1.1 and 1.2 patch at 100mb+

The thing is though the graphics are nowhere bad enough where FS would need to worry about issuing a patch to make things look better. The game is 100% on par with DS1 console graphics (based on the stream and direct feed preview footage) and while a downgrade from the mirror knight demo is possible, the entirety of the complaints so far have been from hearsay by one person who has the game and a few people who are watching a stream of the game.

In the end I highly doubt the general public or FS will see any kind of problem with the graphics or feel the need to issue some kind of patch.

Yuterald

I'm hoping the wrap-around couches are cool in this game. One of my favorite "Aha" moments in Dark Souls was connecting the Firelink Shrine to the Undead Perish. I was replaying Dark Souls recently and was reminded about how well designed the first half of the game is (leading up to Sen's Fortress). I honestly don't care for the second half of the game. Aside from Ornstein and Smough and the Painted World, the second half always turns me off.

eot

Banned
I'm hoping the wrap-around couches are cool in this game. One of my favorite "Aha" moments in Dark Souls was connecting the Firelink Shrine to the Undead Perish. I was replaying Dark Souls recently and was reminded about how well designed the first half of the game is (leading up to Sen's Fortress). I honestly don't care for the second half of the game. Aside from Ornstein and Smough and the Painted World, the second half always turns me off.

I agree, I usually stop my characters after O&S / DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom