• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

I watched 2 straight days of a stream from kennethbr. The game is beautiful as fuck.

Yeah even with the downgrade I was enjoying what I saw, and there are still areas that have great lighting.

---

Also: You guys posting the image of the boss fight might want to remove it. It's still spoilery.

JoeFenix

I'm hoping the wrap-around couches are cool in this game. One of my favorite "Aha" moments in Dark Souls was connecting the Firelink Shrine to the Undead Perish. I was replaying Dark Souls recently and was reminded about how well designed the first half of the game is (leading up to Sen's Fortress). I honestly don't care for the second half of the game. Aside from Ornstein and Smough and the Painted World, the second half always turns me off.

I'm really loving the "in between archstones" wrap around shortcuts that open up in Demon's Souls when you've "cleared" the area for the first time. These levels are just insanely well designed. I love how dense the areas are in general, they're really designed with the knowledge that players are going to be running through them time and time again. You discover stuff constantly.

That's also what I found most impressive about the connected world in Dark Souls, how they managed to recreate those moments on a much larger scale. It's true that the game takes somewhat of a nosedive after getting the Lord Vessel but it's still mostly tolerable with some solid areas like the Duke's Archive. The DLC stuff was pretty incredible too.

Anyway, Demon's Souls level design is perfection and Dark Souls is impressive considering how much harder it is to pull off this kind of stuff on a grander scale.

Both are pretty fucking godlike. This kind of design is NOT easy to pull off. The enemy placements are just so good in general, there's a really great flow to the encounters. They place enemies in spots that will force you to back up into more trouble or even worse kill yourself. They combo enemies in a way that forces you to mix up your strategy and experiment with your options/gear.

I hope we get some of those feelings in DS2 atleast.

Yeah even with the downgrade I was enjoying what I saw, and there are still areas that have great lighting.

---

Also: You guys posting the image of the boss fight might want to remove it. It's still spoilery.

How is MK is still spoilery? He was revealed months ago and what about the gifs that were posted throughout the last few pages.

MilkBeard

I'm really loving the "in between archstones" wrap around shortcuts that open up in Demon's Souls when you've "cleared" the area for the first time. These levels are just insanely well designed. I love how dense the areas are in general, they're really designed with the knowledge that players are going to be running through them time and time again. You discover stuff constantly.

That's also what I found most impressive about the connected world in Dark Souls, how they managed to recreate those moments on a much larger scale. It's true that the game takes somewhat of a nosedive after getting the Lord Vessel but it's still mostly tolerable with some solid areas like the Duke's Archive. The DLC stuff was pretty incredible too.

Anyway, Demon's Souls level design is perfection and Dark Souls is impressive considering how much harder it is to pull off this kind of stuff on a grander scale.

Both are pretty fucking godlike. This kind of design is NOT easy to pull off. The enemy placements are just so good in general, there's a really great flow to the encounters. They place enemies in spots that will force you to back up into more trouble or even worse kill yourself. They combo enemies in a way that forces you to mix up your strategy and experiment with your options/gear.

I hope we get some of those feelings in DS2 atleast.

Yeah, even though I played Dark Souls first, when I went to Demon's Souls I appreciated those little connected shortcuts that unlocked in the levels. It really helped the levels feel more connected even though they are pretty linear.

JoeFenix

I guess so, that cat was out of the bag a long time ago.

I still spoiler tagged it in my original post but I guess officially released content is probably fair game in a thread like this. If people really want to go in completely fresh they should just stay away.

You can't have it both ways entirely.

you left it and are posting in it? :eek:

there's following, & there's just dropping in to check out the train wreck :) ...

& yeah, i'm glad i left, too. so much drama, so much over-expectation, & so many spoiling their first experience of the game via streams...

i liked the low-profile, pre 'big deal' version of the souls series vibe lots more than this new, hyper-active one. seemed to fit the atmosphere of the games themselves...

d0nd

I just checked with my stream guy and he took a direct feed shot from his direct live stream.

ddfO92R.jpg

Everyone should just cancel their pre-orders now. Obviously.

nah going to play it thanks though

pretty hyped Boooyyy!!!!!

SJRB

Gold Member
The more streams i try to watch, the more the game seems to run at 20fps 90% of the time

wtf :(

Framerate, v-sync, anti-aliasing, texture quality and all that stuff should never be judged from a livestream. Stream quality is 100% dependant on the equipment, settings and connection speed of the streamer.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that I don't even care about graphic differences from the trailer to the final version with this game does tell a lot about why I was excited for Watch_Dogs in the first place. See, I'm learning things about myself here!

Bedlam

The more streams i try to watch, the more the game seems to run at 20fps 90% of the time

Sounds like the network test experience. I was hoping for improvements. :-/

Oh well, I'm still going to enjoy it but I guess their new engine isn't really suited for that old console hardware. I sure hope Miyazaki and a team at From is working on a current-gen Souls game as we speak.

So much negativity. This thread must be invaded by "nisser og troll". The souls games were never known for graphics. Its all about the gameplay. Two reviews are out. Great scores! I am hyped!!!!
The Souls games became known for their great art style, however.

jyx

So much negativity. This thread must be invaded by "nisser og troll". The souls games were never known for graphics. Its all about the gameplay. Two reviews are out. Great scores! I am hyped!!!!

T.O.P

Banned
Framerate, v-sync, anti-aliasing, texture quality and all that stuff should never be judged from a livestream. Stream quality is 100% dependant on the equipment, settings and connection speed of the streamer.

Problem is that the guy who was streaming yesterday usually has BBCP tournaments going on and those look pretty much perfect

That's why i'm worried

I'm on the fence of dropping the ps3 pre-order and wait for the PC version at this point

Wonderfalls

Neo Member
I've watched about 15 minutes of some 720p PS3 footage on youtube, and haven't noticed any tearing yet. The lighting looks like DkS except when using a torch, when far more shadows were noticeable.

The contrast in those cases doesn't seem as high as some of the previous footage, but overall the IQ looked on a par or slightly better than DkS to me.

JoeFenix

They were known and respected for their art design and atmosphere, that's mostly the issue that was being discussed here, atleast that was originally my point.

But yeah, the gameplay is at the end of the day the most important thing and that's why I'm still buying it.

I'm really intrigued by the new stats and some of the gameplay changes. The covenant stuff has some serious potential too, could be amazing if it all comes together.

Raitaro

Let me go full overboard here for a minute: if Dark Souls II truly is as disappointing as people make it out to be on the last couple of pages (I'm still on black-out mode), I'm DONE with considering gaming as my deepest passion and biggest hobby.

After having just started the original game again in anticipation, and after watching a recent blind run by Christopher Odd on YouTube (my third or fourth let's play overall), I was again instantly reminded by the amount of things that this game (miraculously?) got right for me personally (and apparently for many others as well). Together with Demon's Souls it restored my faith in modern (Japanese) game development when it comes to games that suck me in to never let me go (despite any technical problems even). The amount of hours of heartfelt entertainment these two game provided me with in both playing and watching them is uncountable at this stage. Very few other games come close.

If Bamco / From truly effed this sequel up by rushing it out the door, and yes even a few - in Bamco's eyes perhaps - "minor" things such as enemy placement, lighting and overall atmosphere or art direction could ruin this delicately baked cake they had going, I see little reason to ever be excited for games again. Sure, there might be the ocassional game from Nintendo, Capcom, or Sony I'll try, or a cool Western or indie game I might dig, but most of them could not weigh up to the amount of appreciation and joy the two Souls games have brought me so far.

I know I'm overreacting here, believe me, I know, but this is what my passion and the negative first impressions of others are resulting in right now. Just as I did when the first negative impressions began to surface from demo builds, I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for now to await my biggest gaming love's destiny...

UnrealEck

I'm going to be upset if they've downgraded the PC version. Especially when it's delayed over six weeks too. There's no excuse to downgrade it.

jyx

They were known and respected for their art design and atmosphere, that's mostly the issue that was being discussed here.

But yeah, the gameplay is at the end of the day the most important thing and that's why I'm still buying it.

I'm really intrigued by the new stats and some of the gameplay changes. The covenant stuff has some serious potential too, could be amazing if it all comes together.

I remember being worried by the changes from demons to dark. Very worried, but in the end I enjoyed dark more. I hope it turns out the same this time around :) A new souls game to enjoy in only a matter of DAYS. This is christmast/birthday/anyholiday feeling for me. COUNTING THE DAYS

Eidan

Hm, I looked at the video of the Mirror Knight fight posted two pages back, and the game looks great. What are you people going on about?

Krakn3Dfx

I'm going to be upset if they've downgraded the PC version. Especially when it's delayed over six weeks too. There's no excuse to downgrade it.

Can't imagine them downgrading it enough to make it worse than DS1 was out of the box, and once we had Durante's fix in place, that became the premiere version of the game by a large margin (well, except the GFWL crap).

Just excited to get my hands on it, burning through DS1 right now, trying to get it finished up before 4/25.

Genuine criticisms like frame rate, atmosphere, enemy placements and graphical downgrades are now trolling?

Woow its like some of you cannot accept any critiques directed to your favourite franchise.

Darklord

Banned

When I mentioned that Brad from Giantbomb said the game "runs like a dog" on consoles I was told he was wrong because it runs perfectly fine on the stream. And now it runs at 20fps? That's not perfectly fine...

I REALLY hope that PC version is good.

jyx

Genuine criticisms like frame rate, atmosphere, enemy placements and graphical downgrades are now trolling?

Woow its like some of you cannot accept any critiques directed to your favourite franchise.

Whats good atmosphere. Whats bad atmosphere. Whats good enemy placement. Whats bad enemy placement. Blightown was one of my favorite levels in ds1 in spite of low framerate. STILL HYPED

JoeFenix

Let me go full overboard here for a minute: if Dark Souls II truly is as disappointing as people make it out to be on the last couple of pages (I'm still on black-out mode), I'm DONE with considering gaming as my deepest passion and biggest hobby.

After having just started the original game again in anticipation, and after watching a recent blind run by Christopher Odd on YouTube (my third or fourth let's play overall), I was again instantly reminded by the amount of things that this game (miraculously?) got right for me personally (and apparently for many others as well). Together with Demon's Souls it restored my faith in modern (Japanese) game development when it comes to games that suck me in to never let me go (despite any technical problems even). The amount of hours of heartfelt entertainment these two game provided me with in both playing and watching them is uncountable at this stage. Very few other games come close.

If Bamco / From truly effed this sequel up by rushing it out the door, and yes even a few - in Bamco's eyes perhaps - "minor" things such as enemy placement, lighting and overall atmosphere or art direction could ruin this delicately baked cake they had going, I see little reason to ever be excited for games again. Sure, there might be the ocassional game from Nintendo, Capcom, or Sony I'll try, or a cool Western or indie game I might dig, but most of them could not weigh up to the amount of appreciation and joy the two Souls games have brought me so far.

I know I'm overreacting here, believe me, I know, but this is what my passion and the negative first impressions of others are resulting in right now. Just as I did when the first negative impressions began to surface from demo builds, I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for now to await my biggest gaming love's destiny...

Man, I know you're aware of how over the top your reaction is but honestly some of these issues will not be a problem whatsoever for ALOT of people.

They don't make the game worthless or even objectively bad, they just bother me personally because I have certain pet peeves and sensibilities that make me more sensitive to certain things. Some people are ultra bothered by very specific things and the game might be less appealing to them because of that but most people won't care anywhere near as much and will just look past those issues.

At the end of the day I don't think there's a scenario that exists where this game will be straight up objectively bad. It looks like it gets enough right from a basic gameplay structure that I think most Souls fans will have a good time with it. There's still the potential for the game to be absolutely great in the long term when all the gameplay pieces come together and everything is online. I actually wish I had never mentioned these things now because people are blowing it out of proportion.

I still think that discussing these "flaws" is very valid but man, people need to take this stuff for what it is and seriously ask themselves if this is the kind of thing that would really bother them or not. For most people I'm guessing the answer is not really. Certainly not a dealbreaker for 95% of the player base but I know it will sour me on the experience overall.

That's all this is really, a different director in charge with different sensibilities. Some things will be different/worse and some things will probably be better. It seems like these new guys take balance and stats stuff alot more seriously, this could be a big deal but obviously this is the kind of stuff you can't tell from a short stream quicklook.

Basically, If you were excited about the game you should stay excited.

Didn't the big Dark Souls Youtuber's like Vaatividya say that the framerate is steady on consoles? Some of you need to stop taking conclusions based of a streaming vid.

mugwhump

it's over, it's all over

first I'm killing myself, then I'm killing my parakeet so he doesn't have to live in a world where dark souls 2 sucks

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nito you have to do something, this is getting embarrassing for everyone.

It is embarrassing but I can't silence them from voicing their opinions. In the end it ain't me the one jumping the gun and going full on whine mode over nothing too important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom