• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

People are talking about a visual downgrade for the game? About the only time I'll never care about that, just gimme that sweet Dark Souls gameplay

It's completely understandable if the damage control keeps coming from people who have played 2 entirely different versions of the game. I'd be pissed of if I had pre-ordered based on what appeared to be a stellar product only to be ripped off by getting a downgraded version of what I was promised from the start.

No matter how you look at it, it is unfair and a practice that should be extinct by this point in the industry. Sadly, this isn't the case at all.

I pre-ordered the console version because I thought it was going to be stable, but the opinions of those who are playing atm aren't positive and are effectively speaking of a downgrade.

I'm right now considering about switching to the PC version instead and this isn't an overreaction; I just want my money's worth and if I'm going to get the much better version at a significantly lower price, of course I'll wait a month.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No they can't.

SMH at the apologists. There's no overreaction. Ubisoft gets a lot of shit for their bait-and-switch tactics. Deservedly so. No reason to give FROM a free pass.

A free pass on what exactly? In the final analysis why would anyone think that FROM's primary goal wouldn't be to produce the best product they can in the time they have available?

It bugs me that any change is treated with such pathological suspicion, it makes no sense to me.

If lighting fidelity was causing the game to drop below its target frame-rate would it not be a wise choice to favour playability and functionality over aesthetics when making final tweaks and optimizations?

I'm not saying this is what has occurred, but the point is that visual changes and cut-backs may come from a pro-user experience position, not some illogical "plot" to con the consumer.

krakov

Don't know if you guys remember but this Dark Souls trailer has some bullshit post processing.

Still convinced this will be an amazing game. People thinking about skipping the game because the dynamic lighting is worse than advertised, lol, git gud scrubs.

I'm right now considering about switching to the PC version instead and this isn't an overreaction; I just want my money's worth and if I'm going to get the much better version at a significantly lower price, of course I'll wait a month.

The problem is that we have NO IDEA how the PC version performs or the effects/lighting in that version. So we'll have to wait a month+ possibly only to find that the game is the same as the console version.

Yo sunbros.

After playing DS1 for about 100 hours on my plasma tv, I had pretty bad image retention for a long time afterwards (permanent estus flask in the corner of the screen).

I've heard rumors that the HUD can be disabled/minimized/customized in Dark Souls 2, can anyone confirm this to be the case?

Thanks.

tookhster

Maybe im just the only person who has no clue whats going on, but can I get a side by side screen shot or something for fucks sake.

You'll only get screenshots from horrible-quality streams, since that's where a lot of people are getting their impressions from for some reason.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy shit it's 5.30... I just played four hours that seemed like one. The game is fucking great. Played through an area earlier that was just oozing with atmosphere.
The only thing I have to get used to is the slow mo estus. You really have to think twice before healing in a boss fight. I've gotten my ADP up to 17 and I've noticed I'm healing a bit faster, but it's still slower than DkS.

ironcreed

Banned
The game looks a hell of a lot better when you are watching footage, I know that much. I have seen some gorgeous stuff with great lighting effects in the dark and I'm just going to leave it at that.

eot

Banned
Holy shit it's 5.30... I just played four hours that seemed like one. The game is fucking great. Played through an area earlier that was just oozing with atmosphere.
The only thing I have to get used to is the slow mo estus. You really have to think twice before healing in a boss fight. I've gotten my ADP up to 17 and I've noticed I'm healing a bit faster, but it's still slower than DkS.

How are you liking the boss designs?

Servbot24

Banned
Pretty sure people are just riding off the Watch_Dogs drama and being overly excitable. I have a feeling I'm gonna be perfectly pleased with the graphics.

The art is what concerns me, hopefully it's good.

Kensuke

Guys, let's just drop it for now. We're all anxious to play it. I know I am. The hype train took a small detour, but let's get it back on track.

Still thinking about what class to pick. Narrowed it down to sorcerer and swordsman (going for int/dex with as little faith as possible). I don't want to rely on magic from the very start, so swordsman looks like a good choice. But that's an awful lot of points invested in dexterity. Hmm.

I'm curious, if you play the 360 version without an Xbox Live Gold account, what features will you have access to? How was this handled in DS1?

I assume you won't be able to summon/invade/be invaded, but will you be able to see and 'playback' bloodstains, see orange soapstone hints, use miracle synergy, find cursed player statues (assuming these concepts are still in DS2), etc.?

In DS1, you can only play in offline mode, no online features at all. I assume it is the same here.

You'll only get screenshots from horrible-quality streams, since that's where a lot of people are getting their impressions from for some reason.

Figured lol.

Either way so what if the overall quality turned out lower from what was probably a pc recording. I guess some people would just rather have Blight town 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How are you liking the boss designs?

I've faced about 7 or 8 so far. There's one I'd call outstanding, the others ok. So far DkS beats 2 in this category. Generally, I think the normal enemies have better art design than the bosses. Don't think I'm that far in yet though, and
apparently this game has a lot more bosses than DkS 1

btw the game continues to look great, pretty impressive for a ps3 game. Can't wait for the pc version of course, but I wouldn't say the console version looks bad. Quite the opposite really.

man do I love the bonfire lighting effect in this one.

A free pass on what exactly? In the final analysis why would anyone think that FROM's primary goal wouldn't be to produce the best product they can in the time they have available?

It bugs me that any change is treated with such pathological suspicion, it makes no sense to me.

If lighting fidelity was causing the game to drop below its target frame-rate would it not be a wise choice to favour playability and functionality over aesthetics when making final tweaks and optimizations?

I'm not saying this is what has occurred, but the point is that visual changes and cut-backs may come from a pro-user experience position, not some illogical "plot" to con the consumer.

That area has been shown running perfectly fine on PS3 on more than one occasion. If there are other areas that had to be optimized then they should have done so instead of downgrading the whole game.

The fact that review embargoes end until the release date doesn't help FROM's case.

Maybe im just the only person who has no clue whats going on, but can I get a side by side screen shot or something for fucks sake.
Here you go:

http://imgur.com/a/iCHZD/

Brightness and compression aside, the lighting and shadowing are completely different.

Also this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103578839&postcount=3334

Better brightness values though the camera angles don't match as good as the other comparison.

Sanctuary

What is your damage? I feigned incredulity over the fact that there would be server side updates for a game designed to be played online. I have no interest in your gaming insecurities.

Yes. Yes there is. You're inferring stuff that wasn't there. Read it again. Note the absence of the following key phrases you are accusing me of:

1) Get Gud
2) U R Noob
3) Deal with it

Good god, do you even know what you wrote, or what you were even replying to with your initial response?

I am shocked, nay appalled that FROM would do server side calibrations for a game they designed to be played online.

This is a travesty.

Do you know what feigned incredulity even means? You flippantly replied with that after I mentioned that it would be bullshit if the updates were server side only (which means you don't get them as a patched component to what's on your hard drive). Did you even read the article I was referencing, or did you simply jump in head first into a conversation blindly?

Having this argument with you is stupid anyway. You didn't have to write the words that I paraphrased exactly to have the same intent. And if that wasn't your intent, get better at actually writing what you mean.

Does someone have video footage of the Looking Glass Knight fight? Sorry if this spoiler thread territory, but I'd rather not visit that thread because I don't want to see anthing else.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously...

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Drencrom

I've faced about 7 or 8 so far. There's one I'd call outstanding, the others ok. So far DkS beats 2 in this category. Generally, I think the normal enemies have better art design than the bosses. Don't think I'm that far in yet though, and

btw the game continues to look great, pretty impressive for a ps3 game. Can't wait for the pc version of course, but I wouldn't say the console version looks bad. Quite the opposite really.

Good to hear

How's the framerate?

Garcia

The problem is that we have NO IDEA how the PC version performs or the effects/lighting in that version. So we'll have to wait a month+ possibly only to find that the game is the same as the console version.

Exactly. It's all iffy and suspicious up to this point.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Why are people freaking out about the graphics? Let us not forget, DS suffered from horrible framerate drops in certain areas, and wasn't the best looking game in the universe. And it's still game of the forever. Even if they lowered the overall visual quality for more consistent performance, IMO that's a win. Plus, if you care about graphics that much, wait for the damn PC version. 10 year old hardware is not going to push a game world of this scope to the same visual level as a Gears or Uncharted where the spaces are extremely constrained to support that.

Odrion

Banned
That area has been shown running perfectly fine on PS3 on more than one occasion. If there are other areas that had to be optimized then they should have done so instead of downgrading the whole game.

The fact that review embargoes end until the release date doesn't help FROM's case.

Here you go:

http://imgur.com/a/iCHZD/

Brightness and compression aside, the lighting and shadowing are completely different.

Also this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103578839&postcount=3334

Better brightness values though the camera angles don't match as good as the other comparison.
Are these both PC builds? Because I swore when they showed that first footage they said it was specifically the PC version.

This man should put us at ease regarding the graphical fidelity of the game, so listen to him!

arttq

I think I like the new version a little better based on those screenshots. I think there was too much contrast in the old version. (Might be because of bad quality shots.)

Are these both PC builds? Because I swore when they showed that first footage they said it was specifically the PC version.

PS3 version, January 2014
From 3:49 to 5:08 (no spoilers)
From 2:22 to 2:37, torch gameplay (no spoilers)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdOBH-jDc&t=3m49s

PS3 version, March 2014
From 6:15 to 9:40 (no spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBwp8MB5js&t=6m50s

Lé Blade Runner;103606244 said:
This man should put us at ease regarding the graphical fidelity of the game, so listen to him!
Or they can decide for themselves ^^^

Love it. From gifts the player with a plethora of healing options but almost guarantees their death when used in combat. A fair trade.

Badgerst3

Wish I had held onto my ps3 for this. Was too hard to turn down the $100 best buy trade in. Damn you From for no ps4 version.

Will be my first souls game on 360. Feel like I am betraying sony and being punished with alleged fps dips and poor lighting.

Warrior and day off tue ftw.

Jobbs

Banned
PS3 version, January 2014
From 3:49 to 5:08 (no spoilers)
From 2:22 to 2:37, torch gameplay (no spoilers)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdOBH-jDc&t=3m49s

PS3 version, March 2014
From 6:15 to 9:40 (no spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBwp8MB5js&t=6m50s

Or they can decide for themselves ^^^

Am I the only one who doesn't really care? Both videos just make me want to play. Like I really care if the old one has more shadows and is oranger.

edit: I don't even know that the shadows are that much different. Keep watching the release version and you'll see some interesting shadows.

Yo sunbros.

After playing DS1 for about 100 hours on my plasma tv, I had pretty bad image retention for a long time afterwards (permanent estus flask in the corner of the screen).

I've heard rumors that the HUD can be disabled/minimized/customized in Dark Souls 2, can anyone confirm this to be the case?

Thanks.

From the beta, the HUD disappears if you take no action after a couple of seconds. Doesn't apply to running or walking. So should be good for you.

Filth

Wish I had held onto my ps3 for this. Was too hard to turn down the $100 best buy trade in. Damn you From for no ps4 version.

Will be my first souls game on 360. Feel like I am betraying sony and being punished with alleged fps dips and poor lighting.

Warrior and day off tue ftw.

im in the same boat as you :'/

Sanctuary

Indeed. Look at some of the muddy textures on cliff sides around Valley of Drakes or things like walls and gates down in The Depths. Then see how nice places like Anor Londo look.

The exact same thing applies to the PC version as well. Yet most just post ridiculous glory shots as though the entire game looks like that, when it definitely doesn't.

d0nd

3 more days till i die!!!!!

YAY!!!

hype hype hype!!!

haha i just finished demon souls

if the game looks half as good i'm in heaven

...i'm a simple person

ironcreed

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't really care? Both videos just make me want to play. Like I really care if the old one has more shadows and is oranger.

edit: I don't even know that the shadows are that much different. Keep watching the release version and you'll see some interesting shadows.

No. I remember when Demon's and Dark Souls first came out, the visuals were the last thing talked about. As everyone was too busy soaking in the second to none atmosphere and gameplay as they made their long and epic journeys to the end. Looking forward to doing it again. But this game does look better than either Demon's or Dark, so that is just a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom