• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I dont understand why we cannot see the ENTIRE package.
It still looks better than Dark Souls 1 and most of the footage of the game says not final.
And here come the strawmen.
And there are the nitpickers.

Can you find me one person that said they wont buy or play the game because of the lighting?

Seriously you guys are inventing shit.
Im not saying they are not buying the game but they are making a bigger deal out of it than they should.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe some people care more about the lighting than the damn game.
Just hold out for 3 more days. People are latching onto the most mundane of issues because they have nothing else to talk about. Once the game is out and everyone starts playing the thread will fill with the usual sharing of hints and actual discussion of the game and that other kind of discussion will likely be ignored or a moved to a separate topic if the problem is bad enough.

oroboros

No one promised anything to you. Footage of games before they're completed is subject to change. As they add more things to a game, they will need to optimize and cut corners to ensure performance. Footage from months ago can not be used to judge a final build. Game development is a process where you have to constantly tweak things until you go gold.

+1

Sorry for using an example from youtube videos but look here:

kz0vUJc.png

That's a massive difference in lighting, not just colors. The level is also more detailed in the top (especially the pillars).

It makes all video game videos prior to this look like they were just very prettied up vertical slices. I really hope that's not he case on PC, but I can't imagine them having more detailed levels and completely different lighting. I can only hope....

Seriously, like what am I looking at? Which one are you arguing for? They both look fine. Just different. Maybe I'm not some graphics connoisseur, but I don't get the big deal here. Especially from some from stream/youtube rips. This is what you all freaking out about? I think everyone is just getting some cabin hype fever with the anticipation and anxiety waiting for the game or something. Damn, I just can't wait to have it and move over to the spoiler thread to be able to discuss what we like and dislike about the actual gameplay and story and stuff instead of fucking textures.

Sanctuary

I didn't initially understand the comments about how some were getting a Demon's, Dark, and King's Field vibe from the streams considering how much in Demon's the King's Field roots were so apparent.

Now I get it though. I watched that brief before and after comparison video. Some of the areas look decent, while others seriously look really fucking bad. Literally as in almost PS2 King's Field bad due to the geometry being a bunch of generic blocks and the textures not even trying (a bunch of low res stone walls). What makes it stand out even more though is how it's connected to areas that are drastically better looking. It makes no sense, and looks like the other parts were late additions and incomplete.

Dark Souls suffered from this too, but nowhere near this extent. Why the fuck improve the graphics if you're only going to be able to improve some areas, while actually making other areas worse than anything in the previous games?

And the lighting actually matters. A lot. It's how both of the previous games hid many of the low res textures, and it's also what gave it the oppressive atmosphere.

Gbraga

Can you tell me (pm)? was it a STR sword (don't tell me anything else :p)

What do you mean don't tell you anything else? Other than if it was a STR sword or not or do you mean tell me all about the sword but only the sword? :p

Well, here it goes:

It's a motherfucking dragonslayer.

Nah, it's good, you're getting me excited. :)

I've only clicked the stream thinking "well lemme just check it out real quick, I'll close it right away" >_______>

I need to stop before I get spoiled on something more.

But catdayum dat sword. And the game looks absolutely incredible.

Jito

Banned
Good thing I buy my games based on lighting effects, this is off my pre order list!

PC version pre ordered and I wouldn't be surprised if the enhanced effects just wouldn't run on the crappy last gen consoles.

Vazra

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Did you even read the posts about why people are angry/disappointed? Obviously not.

The lighting was different and they liked the new lighting system shown before on the unfinished build. It isn't the same on the final version so they are disappointed what else would I need to read?

Well... no. I don't. But I was excited for the lighting I saw in earlier videos. It looks freakin fantastic. And now that I'm not seeing it anymore in videos recorded by people that actually have the game, I'm just disappointed. If the videos all looked like they do now from day 1, I probably wouldn't care.

Sylas

Trying to decide if it's worth my time to do the rounds to the local don't-give-a-fuck-stores or not today in an attempt to get my hands on this early.

Anyone know of a place in the Seattle area that's selling copies early? ;_; I need my fix.

Shinjica

The lighting was different and they liked the new lighting system shown before on the unfinished build. It isn't the same on the final version so they are disappointed what else would I need to read?

Oh come on Nito, dont tell me you're not, at least a bit, disappointed that the fantastic light are not in the final build.

No one are telling you that they will not buy the game for that. They are simply disappointed about an awesome design not included in the final product

elhav

+1

Seriously, like what am I looking at? Which one are you arguing for? They both look fine. Just different. Maybe I'm not some graphics connoisseur, but I don't get the big deal here. Especially from some from stream/youtube rips. This is what you all freaking out about? I think everyone is just getting some cabin hype fever with the anticipation and anxiety waiting for the game or something. Damn, I just can't wait to have it and move over to the spoiler thread to be able to discuss what we like and dislike about the actual gameplay and story and stuff instead of fucking textures.
Yeah, there is a whole different world in the spoilers thread, but you can't go there my son. Not yet.

Arrrggghh I hope the game will arrive soon.
give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

That is most likely the case. We're yet to see if the PC version was saved from these cuts :/

I found PS3 footage with better brightness settings. Here's a somewhat updated comparison:

p5hefcM.jpg

dk1cvuih.png

PwW1a45.png

dk2v5u1w.png

OGdHC7h.png

dk3mvueb.png

MnSofuP.png

dk4opubj.png

No matter how you cut it the game took a huge hit in the lighting department. Environment shadows and AO are gone.

Can this stuff be just disabled in the console versions and left enabled in the PC one?

Grinchy

Banned
It's not impossible to be disappointed by the downgrade while simultaneously being excited for the game. And there's really nothing wrong with being disappointed by a sudden downgrade. There's also nothing wrong with not being disappointed by a sudden downgrade. Let's all hold hands and play this PS2 game together.

Vazra

Oh come on Nito, dont tell me you're not, at least a bit, disappointed that the fantastic light are not in the final build.

No one are telling you that they will not buy the game for that. They are simply disappointed about an awesome design not included in the final product

I notice the changes but it doesn't affect me honestly.

Pretty much this. My only hope now is that somehow, the PC version retained everything shown in previous videos.

Garcia

Look, Nito, I'll put it in simple words so you and all of those who are completely missing the point of the discussion can understand: I pre-ordered the PS3 version because the demo footage looked the way it did. The final build looks worse than what was advertised, hence why I won't be double dipping.

I've never cared about graphics; I only care about getting what's being advertised, be it pixel art, 8-bit homages or next-gen visuals. I don't give a damn one bit.

It is unfortunate that we still don't know if the PC version will look as good as the demo, but I'm honestly going to place my bets on that and wait until then.

Leezard

I'm disappointed in the downgrade as well, but I don't think it will dissuade me from buying and enjoying the game. I will get it a couple of days after launch, once my exams are over.

Im not saying they are not buying the game but they are making a bigger deal out of it than they should.

I dont understand, what level of complaining should they be at? If they are buying the game that clearly means it does not mean much to them. So you are saying everyone is supposed to just shrug and go "ok it looks completely different from the version I played a month ago, eh whatever". They are not supposed to ask any questions?

Its not like we have the game here and this is not the spoiler thread, there is not much to talk about at this moment. This seems to be about as big and valid a topic as you can get while we wait to actually play it ourselves. Does it mean the end of the world, of course not, but it is real and it is very noticeable.

Curious_George

Neo Member
Graphically it's better than Dark Souls imo but not as good as it was shown months ago.
hmmmm.

At it's best (Majula, some other areas), it absolutely is better looking than Dark Souls. I haven't played it but I've watched enough streams at this point to clearly see that it definitely outshines DS1 in some spots. Now as far as some of the worse looking areas, well I'd say it's about on par with the uglier parts of DS1. I'll have to judge for myself when I play it, but nothing stood out to be completely alarmingly ugly like some people are making it sound.

I don't think the graphical changes are that odd. If a game is being developed to look and perform as well as possible it seems more efficient to start with more, then subtract elements little by little. I also got the sense from interviews that this new engine is designed to be modular, so maybe they can add and remove graphical elements and techniques in a flexible way.

I do the same sort of thing when I play PC games. I max out settings then bump them down in efficient ways to get the game running well. Maybe the same philosophy was applied to Dark Souls 2. With everything needing to be accounted for when playing the final build, they trimmed elements that were too taxing.

Exactly. Good pc games often have that type of scalability. That's why I'm not going to freak out before we even see the PC version. It's very possible that if From previously had some of these extra graphical options in before, but took them out at the last minute, then maybe the new engine is more scalable than people are giving it credit. If that's the case, then we could very well see it all make its way back in some form in the PC version.

Brohan

Can this stuff be just disabled in the console versions and left enabled in the PC one?

Not sure..., because it's not just the lighting but also geometry and the appearances of certain parts of an area that is different (downgraded).

Maybe pc version will be able to enable the lighting but i don't think the PC version will change the appearance/geometry of the areas.

So the consensus from streams are that lighting got reduced/removed and that color looks washed out. Are there any issues with framerate on the console versions as well?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Possibly. But this is the same room from damn near the same angle:

I was really hyped (for the graphics\art) due to all the footage up uintil now looking like that top image. It's a drastic change, if you ask me.

This really IS a drastic change, wow. Wonder what happened there, it's not like the previous graphics were that incredible. Any official word on all this?

cerulily

Look, Nito, I'll put it in simple words so you and all of those who are completely missing the point of the discussion can understand: I pre-ordered the PS3 version because the demo footage looked the way it did. The final build looks worse than what was advertised, hence why I won't be double dipping. ok as good as the demo, but I'm honestly going to place my bets on that and wait until then.

AFAIK we haven't seen any PS3 footage, can you show some?

Gbraga

Is it possible that they toned down the lighting on purpose in order to highlight it even more when you're holding a torch? Because from what I've seen of the game with a torch, it looks really fucking amazing. Every swing makes the shadows go nuts and it's awesome.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I notice the changes but it doesn't affect me honestly.

Yea, the visuals outside of art design have always mattered less than everything to me in these games. I don't know the extent to which it bothers the people in this chat, but from my perspective it just seems like such a small thing to be crying about. That being said, the crying doesn't really effect my hype in the slightest, only my enjoyment of this thread.

Servbot24

Banned
It's not impossible to be disappointed by the downgrade while simultaneously being excited for the game. And there's really nothing wrong with being disappointed by a sudden downgrade. There's also nothing wrong with not being disappointed by a sudden downgrade. Let's all hold hands and play this PS2 game together.

god-of-war-ii-20060424005030106.jpg

Stay on earth, mate.

Vazra

Denial, trivialization and now shaming. Keep up the good work guys.

I'm not denying anything about the changes but I'm not going all out that I like or dislike the changes. (I don't like the changes obviously as it looked better)

As for the shaming I guess that ain't directed at me as all I've been saying is most people are overreacting and for trivialization everyone is doing it including you so I dont see the big deal.

That the disappointment is on FROM and Namco not telling us and try to hide this downgrade.

It was just this game's (non-specific spoiler)
drake sword
, fairly low stat reqs

What do you mean don't tell you anything else? Other than if it was a STR sword or not or do you mean tell me all about the sword but only the sword? :p

Well, here it goes:

It's a motherfucking dragonslayer.

I've only clicked the stream thinking "well lemme just check it out real quick, I'll close it right away" >_______>

I need to stop before I get spoiled on something more.

But catdayum dat sword. And the game looks absolutely incredible.

Sorry but you guys are giving me two very different impressions. I mean dat name and then the elaboration are very contrasting. What class is it ( greatsword, ultra greatsword etc)?

Denial, trivialization and now shaming. Keep up the good work guys.

Its funny when they we are being hyperbolic when the only hyperbole and poor attempts at trolling are coming from them.

Sanctuary

Look, Nito, I'll put it in simple words so you and all of those who are completely missing the point of the discussion can understand: I pre-ordered the PS3 version because of the demo footage looked the way it did. The final build looks worse than what was advertised, hence why I won't be double dipping.

I've never cared about graphics; I only care about getting what's being advertised, be it pixel art, 8-bit homages or next-gen visuals. I don't give a damn one bit.

It is unfortunate that we still don't know if the PC version will look as good as the demo, but I'm honestly going to place my bets on that and wait until then.

You obviously do care about the graphics, or you wouldn't be complaining so much about how the graphics now aren't identical to what was shown six plus months ago in an unfinished build. It also makes you look like you're shouting just to shout since FROM never said "Hey guys, check out our final build" in any of the older previews.

So it was downgraded, and that sucks, but it's also not false advertising. This shit has been going on forever now. Developers make a proof of concept video that is running on much more powerful hardware and as the game continues its development, cuts are made in the name of optimization or budget constraints. What you see initially is very often different from the end result. In this case, it looks like FROM took a slice of their made-for-next-gen engine, displayed what it could do and then started tweaking it for the current gen consoles.

Just because the previous versions on the PS3 looked a lot better, that's not the entire picture.

moop1167

Has anyone had success in getting a copy early from Target? I have one near me and thought I might try but I don't want to waste my time.

Gbraga

Sorry but you guys are giving me two very different impressions. I mean dat name and then the elaboration are very contrasting. What class is it ( greatsword, ultra greatsword etc)?

It's a greatsword, I guess, have no idea of the stats or how strong it is,
I just got hyped because it reminded me of Berserk.

I hope they kept the Reinforced Club, glory of humanity.

If looking at all your posts from the perspective of all the people who put hard work into creating a fun game for the rest of us, same shit can be said about you.
You mean the people that intentionally deceived us?

Now for those people that think that graphics aren't important, FROM clearly disagrees:

"One of the first things we immediately tried to improve in terms of Dark Souls 2 was the graphic quality of the game. So one thing we focused on obviously for Dark Souls 1 and more so in Dark Souls 2 is how much you can get deep into the game emotionally and physically and one of the things we thought was critical to that was the graphical improvements for more reality, more realistic expressions of everything we want to show in the game. And obviously you just saw the bonfires a key aspect of the game that will remain in Dark Souls 2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom