• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry but you guys are giving me two very different impressions. I mean dat name and then the elaboration are very contrasting. What class is it ( greatsword, ultra greatsword etc)?
My bad, thought he was talking about the latest posts in the spoiler thread, which feature the sword I was talking about.

I think I know what sword he was talking about though and its moveset is very visually impressive.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Look, Nito, I'll put it in simple words so you and all of those who are completely missing the point of the discussion can understand: I pre-ordered the PS3 version because the demo footage looked the way it did. The final build looks worse than what was advertised, hence why I won't be double dipping.

I've never cared about graphics; I only care about getting what's being advertised, be it pixel art, 8-bit homages or next-gen visuals. I don't give a damn one bit.

It is unfortunate that we still don't know if the PC version will look as good as the demo, but I'm honestly going to place my bets on that and wait until then.

The contradictions in here. LOL (Graphic talk)

I don't care if people are double dipping or not as I gain nothing from it. If I were working for Namco or From Software maybe I would care but I don't. Buy the game, rent it or do whatever you want with the game it is not my business there.

Jobbs

Banned
You mean the people that intentionally deceived us?

Now for those people that think that graphics aren't important, FROM clearly disagrees:

"One of the first things we immediately tried to improve in terms of Dark Souls 2 was the graphic quality of the game. So one thing we focused on obviously for Dark Souls 1 and more so in Dark Souls 2 is how much you can get deep into the game emotionally and physically and one of the things we thought was critical to that was the graphical improvements for more reality, more realistic expressions of everything we want to show in the game. And obviously you just saw the bonfires a key aspect of the game that will remain in Dark Souls 2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Will you ever stop trolling? If you hate the game and hate the company, why are you spending all day in this thread?

You're also immune to logic. The game looks better than the first game. Don't let facts or people pointing them out get in the way of your trolling.

I don't mind thoughtful discourse about things, but the thread has turned into a troll barn.

It's a greatsword, I guess, have no idea of the stats or how strong it is,
I just got hyped because it reminded me of Berserk.

I hope they kept the Reinforced Club, glory of humanity.

Thank you 0_0...you have got me extremely hyped now.

I love Berserk and if its anything like the Dragon Bone Smasher in DeS holy shit ..

Servbot24

Banned

Oh for fuck sake, give it a rest. You're being entirely ridiculous.

Fine if you liked the old lighting better. Don't act like this is some huge scandal and you've been victimized. This some serious drama queen shit.

Every game company changes the assets as they go through development. Every game company will continue to do so for the remainder of time. Get bloody used to it.

lifa-cobex

I can't believe some of you are actually defending FROM at this point.

I can't believe some people care more about the lighting than the damn game.

hehe

It's a difficult argument for both sides.

On one hand, yes the final build has changed and seems less than what is advertised.
To me this would be false advertising. This would be wrong.
Because of all the shit from Ubi, It's difficult to let one side slide and not the other.

However....

From are known to deliverer fantastic games, providing long lasting entertainment for good value.
They are not in the habit of lying to consumers and have a good reputation.
They are a far cry from Ubi.

Now for those people that think that graphics aren't important, FROM clearly disagrees:

"One of the first things we immediately tried to improve in terms of Dark Souls 2 was the graphic quality of the game. So one thing we focused on obviously for Dark Souls 1 and more so in Dark Souls 2 is how much you can get deep into the game emotionally and physically and one of the things we thought was critical to that was the graphical improvements for more reality, more realistic expressions of everything we want to show in the game. And obviously you just saw the bonfires a key aspect of the game that will remain in Dark Souls 2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Where do you get off.

Vazra

Was the demo a demo? Wasnt it a beta or a Network test or whatever?

Network Test would be the proper term

It was a signed contract stamped in blood that they would never change any aspect of the game EVER.

KuGsj.gif

Vazra

The thread was suddenly downgraded from what was originally promoted as being the thread we'd all be participating in.

Well there is some sort of participation but it seems more like invasions than Jolly Cooperations. I'm having fun with it as some are taking it more seriously than they should really.
KuGsj.gif

oroboros

Anybody have any experience with PSN day 1 digital games? This is the first one I'm getting that way, and I swear when I pre-ordered it there was a message saying that I could start downloading and then playing it at 12 EST. Which would mean 9pm in my time zone. Would this be the case or will I need to wait until midnight where I am?

eot

Banned
Regardless of the lighting, all versions of the game they've shown have this really soft look to them. Is it the texture resolution being low or something? I'm not that bothered by it, it just looks very different from Dark Souls, to my eyes anyway.

Feindflug

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103606496#post103606496

PS3 version, January 2014
From 3:49 to 5:08 (no spoilers)
From 2:22 to 2:37, torch gameplay (no spoilers)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdOBH-jDc&t=3m49s

PS3 version, March 2014
From 6:15 to 9:40 (no spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBwp8MB5js&t=6m50s

There is definitely a huge difference between the two videos - geometry, lighting, textures quality and even the soul particle effect are clearly worse in the retail version plus the game seems like it run better in the preview code.

My guess is that the preview code was created with all the bells and whistles early on development to showcase their new engine and then when they saw that they couldn't replicate that in the rest of the game maybe due to technical limitations or time restrictions they dumbed down the visuals on this area too to look like the rest of the game...at least this is the only scenario that makes sense to me.

Regardless of the lighting, all versions of the game they've shown have this really soft look to them. Is it the texture resolution being low or something? I'm not that bothered by it, it just looks very different from Dark Souls, to my eyes anyway.

It's probably the texture resolution and the lack of shaders that makes DS2 look soft since the 360 version actually runs at a higher resolution than the first game. No word on the PS3 version yet but I bet it's gonna be a native 720p framebuffer too.

Curious_George

Neo Member
PS3 version, January 2014
From 3:49 to 5:08 (no spoilers)
From 2:22 to 2:37, torch gameplay (no spoilers)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MdOBH-jDc&t=3m49s

PS3 version, March 2014
From 6:15 to 9:40 (no spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBwp8MB5js&t=6m50s

Or they can decide for themselves ^^^

I think the biggest visual downgrade is definitely the lighting. That seems to add and subtract the most in that scene. But what I find most baffling are the geometry changes. The columns and other parts of the geometry are clearly different. I have to wonder if either they had two separate builds leading up to release or they did a sudden redesign near the end? It seems strange to me that we'd see such differences in actual world geometry between what appears to be a couple months before release.

Garcia

The contradictions in here. LOL (Graphic talk).

Where are the contradictions? You mean because I said I don't care about graphics I won't mind at all if they suddenly sell me a product that's not on par of what convinced me into pre-ordering on the first place?

Read again.

It's like they're selling me apples when I paid for oranges. No, thanks.

And I'll play the game eventually, but I'll just wait for the PC version.

ironcreed

Banned
At this point the spoiler thread is more of an OT.

1780549-shakehead.gif

Getting kind of hard for those of us excited to wade through the forest of nitpickery and cherry picked screen grabs covered in Vaseline. Yeah, the lighting is not as sharp as the old footage, but the game still looks better than the first one, and more importantly, it is still Dark fucking Souls. You know, the game where visuals were the last thing on anyone's mind back when it first came out? Even more so with Demon's Souls.

Sickbean

1780549-shakehead.gif

Getting kind of hard for those of us excited to wade through the forest of nitpickery and cherry picked screen grabs covered in Vaseline. Yeah, the lighting is not as sharp as the old footage, but the game still looks better than the first one, and more importantly, it is still Dark fucking Souls. You know, the game where visuals were the last thing on anyone's mind back when it first came out? Even more so with Demon's Souls.

Testify.

it is still Dark fucking Souls. You know, the game where visuals were the last thing on anyone's mind back when it first came out? Even more so with Demon's Souls.

This.

Honestly if you've come this far with both games there's a good chance you're gonna love this one.

Enjoy the game for what it is, there are few like it.

Yuterald

I have seen nods to King's Field, Demon's and Dark Souls, plus a shit ton of new stuff as well. The so called 'recycling' is nothing more than Easter Egg type stuff as far as I am concerned. A mere acknowledgment that is in-keeping with the series and as a sequel to Dark Souls specifically.

People who are claiming that it looks drab or uninspired are going to be in for a surprise when they see some of the variety and drool worthy locations. On top of that, there are all sorts of new enemies and bosses and a shitload more gear that is better looking than ever. This game has way more content than Demon's or Dark Souls and is every bit as hardcore.

Nods to King's Field, eh? I mean, that could have been said for both Demon's and Dark Souls. Without spoiling anything, are you trying to say that there's a few things here clearly directed towards King's Field fans? I mean, Dark Souls named a dragon after a dragon from the King's Field universe, something like that? Also, Moonlight Sword doesn't count as that's been in like every From game since King's Field, lol!

Man, I'm pretty excited to play this, but my work schedule will continue to be crazy for the next month or so so I'm debating whether or not I should wait to play it a few months from now when I have my time (and my sanity).

Toxi

Banned
I sometimes click on the spoiler thread, read a few comments with zero context, feel spoiled even though I can't even remember after a few seconds, and click out.

And I can't stop. Ever. I need to get banned from NeoGAF.

1780549-shakehead.gif

Why bother making this post if you didn't even read why some are angry. Its been said so many times and yet we still have people come in here acting like we are graphic whores when in reality the graphics don't really matter to us.

Ellite25

Judging by the 2 comparison videos posted up there, the new (and final) build looks to be beyond repair, even if they patched some shadows in. There's a grey aura following you that waters down every single area you visit.

Having watched a decent amount of the streams that's just not true.

Garcia

This.

Honestly if you've come this far with both games there's a good chance you're gonna love this one.

Enjoy the game for what it is, there are few like it.

Of course it's going to be quite enjoyable.

It's just unfortunate to me that most people miss the point of the discussion and vulture around the graphics issue when the underlying problem is false advertising, which still plagues the industry.

Soriku

Hmm the lighting downgrade is disappointing...though the general impression seems to be that it looks better than DkS1 nonetheless.

I hope it's something they can fix through a patch, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Gbraga

We need torch gifs, it blew my mind when he/she started swinging with the sword while holding the torch. Those shadows, man, my heart can't take it.

ironcreed

Banned
Why bother making this post if you didn't even read why some are angry. Its been said so many times and yet we still have people come in here acting like we are graphic whores when in reality the graphics don't really matter to us.

But I did. They are upset at From and think they got a bait and switch deal. I'm just offering perspective in that it still ended up being a better looking game like they said it would be, even though before we never cared anyway. It is always about that journey and atmosphere. It's all here, bigger and just as good as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom