• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Still not Tuesday, Kenneth still hasn't returned...
LjKTjon.gif

Of course it's going to be quite enjoyable.

It's just unfortunate to me that most people miss the point of the discussion and vulture around the graphics issue when the underlying problem is false advertising, which still plagues the industry.

That in itself is a whole other discussion. I'm sure you could find more devious examples than this one that would contribute to that argument.

Maybesew

Such upset in this thread. Streams and gifs.

Meanwhile actually playing the game looks great on ps3. Can't wait for PC to look even better.

ironcreed

Banned
Nods to King's Field, eh? I mean, that could have been said for both Demon's and Dark Souls. Without spoiling anything, are you trying to say that there's a few things here clearly directed towards King's Field fans? I mean, Dark Souls named a dragon after a dragon from the King's Field universe, something like that? Also, Moonlight Sword doesn't count as that's been in like every From game since King's Field, lol!

Man, I'm pretty excited to play this, but my work schedule will continue to be crazy for the next month or so so I'm debating whether or not I should wait to play it a few months from now when I have my time (and my sanity).

Of course the roots were there in the previous games. I'm just saying that specifically environment-wise some of the stuff is even more reminiscent of it. Like major Ancient City vibes.

Ellite25

Someone asked this earlier but no one replied, can the HUD be turned off?

Like the other user, had a lot of screen retention because of that thing and it would be nice if it turned off when not in combat or something.

Interestingly this problem escalated only because some people keep denying it and trivializing it.

If you don't care about the graphics why are you getting so angry at people that do?

Although, the resulting meltdowns have been hilarious, so there's that.

Jobbs

Banned
Atleast you dont have to wait till Friday... :(

865.gif

I'm so eager that even though I have the CE preorder from Amazon and a 3/11 delivery date, if it takes too long to get to my house I may just buy it elsewhere to get it sooner, such as digitally.

I really want to see those people who are defending this game's graphical downgrade after the game is released. Also, i believe that we will probably get a Digital Foundry article about how it looks worse than the videos From released. Also i am curious how many people will complain about textures which
is very comparable to Dragon's Dogma in terms of quality and lack of polish in the graphics department compared to Dark Souls. Mark my words!

Edit:
Someone asked this earlier but no one replied, can the HUD be turned off?

Like the other user, had a lot of screen retention because of that thing and it would be nice if it turned off when not in combat or something.

Yes, it can be turned off.

dreamfall

The downgrade in graphics doesn't upset me much- although I am waiting for the PC version, so take that as you will. After Durante saved Dark Souls, it was hard ever going back. I played Demon's last month to mentally prepare- and lo and behold, even with the framerate drops and subpar visuals, it's still lovely.

Possibly. But this is the same room from damn near the same angle:

I was really hyped (for the graphics\art) due to all the footage up uintil now looking like that top image. It's a drastic change, if you ask me.

WTF it looks way worse now. It's liking they had to scrape the lighting system entirely. That's pretty messed up

Soriku

I think bright areas like Majula and
Heide's Ruins
still look pretty good. Darker areas/sections seem to have taken the hit.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's safe to say Kenneth has gone hollow IRL

Bless Kenneth though, for the unsung hero skyrocketed my hype for this game.

You know, his journey is pretty much identical to the journey of the Chosen Undead, only instead of hellish locations he visits livestreaming websites. One after the other he tumbles further down the rabbit hole of madness. I mean, that weird Russian livestream site he was on last is like the Lost Izalith of streaming sites.

Ellite25

I really want to see those people who are defending this game's graphical downgrade after the game is released. Also, i believe that we will probably get a Digital Foundry article about how it looks worse than the videos From released. Also i am curious how many people will complain about textures which
is very comparable to Dragon's Dogma in terms of quality and lack of polish in the graphics department compared to Dark Souls. Mark my words!

Edit:

Yes, it can be turned off.
Awesome. This makes me very happy.

Do you know exactly how that works? It vanishes when not in use? Or you can just take it off all together?

Garcia

That in itself is a whole other discussion. I'm sure you could find more devious examples than this one that would contribute to that argument.

Indeed. And yes, that's part of a whole different discussion.

From a gameplay perspective the game sounds exactly how I wanted it to be, hence why I'm excited to play it eventually.

Yuterald

Just to piggyback off of this lighting/visual conversation...

I think polish/care/craft is important too. I'm definitely not saying that one aspect of game design is more important than the other. I understand that proper lighting and all of that visual stuff is just as important as the rest, but I'm sorry, when you get to the point where you're watching streams/videos just to see if the lighting has changed or if there's a visual downgrade, etc. (especially when the game is like a few days away), then I think it's time to take a step back from everything.

I'm a big music/audio and dungeon design guy. Dungeon design/structure/flow is really important to me and it's something I'm always curious about and ready to critique when I play a game/RPG. It's definitely something I consider myself passionate about, but I'm not about to spoil/watch videos to see how many corridor-ridden/right angle rooms there are, etc. I just don't HAVE to know, you know?. If the level/dungeon design sucks when I get the game, whatever, Dark Souls II's dungeon design will just have sucked and that will be the end of it.

Honestly, I love all you guys and I know we will all enjoy this game in some way or another. I'm looking forward to talking with people who share a similar love for the Souls games disregarding any arguments we may have.

I'm going beyond death March 11 WHICH IS 3 DAYS AWAY HOLY SHIT.

Yuterald

Stop! omg King's Field music...I can't take it. Why can't From just fucking make King's Field V already! The Ancient City, specifically, is so immaculately designed too. It was like a three tiered city that connected with SO many areas. It was basically the HUB. It had so many cool little rooms/areas too (like the stone slab that kept track of every spell crystal you've found/used). Ugh, now you're making me want to replay KFIV. =/

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Anyone posted this already? saw it on reddit

- Summoning range will be determined by a combination of 2 factors: The player’s summoning range and the amount of souls acquired by that player’s character. This means that as you obtain more and more souls your summoning range will increase. If you like to hang out at low levels and gank people, eventually over time, you will be forced out of this summoning range into a higher one where this won’t be possible. This is to try and alleviate some of the ganking of new players.

- NG+ got a HUGE overhaul. Now there are new enemies, harder enemies and new loot in NG+. This is to reward the player for continuing on and extend the longevity of the game. From what I understand the game assumes you know how to play from the very beginning and punishes you throughout. NG++ and up don’t add anything new, only harder difficulty. Another important thing to note is that players in NG+ will NOT be able to play with players who have not reached NG+ or above. As far as I can tell this was done to prevent the use of the more powerful gear obtained in NG+

Just to piggyback off of this lighting/visual conversation...

I think polish/care/craft is important too. I'm definitely not saying that one aspect of game design is more important than the other. I understand that proper lighting and all of that visual stuff is just as important as the rest, but I'm sorry, when you get to the point where you're watching streams/videos just to see if the lighting has changed or if there's a visual downgrade, etc. (especially when the game is like a few days away), then I think it's time to take a step back from everything.

I'm a big music/audio and dungeon design guy. Dungeon design/structure/flow is really important to me and it's something I'm always curious about and ready to critique when I play a game/RPG. It's definitely something I consider myself passionate about, but I'm not about to spoil/watch videos to see how many corridor-ridden/right angle rooms there are, etc. I just don't HAVE to know, you know?. If the level/dungeon design sucks when I get the game, whatever, Dark Souls II's dungeon design will just have sucked and that will be the end of it.
I'm pretty sure people aren't watching streams just to see how the game has been downgraded.

Toxi

Banned
- NG+ got a HUGE overhaul. Now there are new enemies, harder enemies and new loot in NG+. This is to reward the player for continuing on and extend the longevity of the game. From what I understand the game assumes you know how to play from the very beginning and punishes you throughout. NG++ and up don’t add anything new, only harder difficulty. Another important thing to note is that players in NG+ will NOT be able to play with players who have not reached NG+ or above. As far as I can tell this was done to prevent the use of the more powerful gear obtained in NG+
Interesting if true. One of the problems with NG+ for me has always been how repetitive it is without gravelorded enemies. This changes the ballgame completely.

Gbraga

This is amazing for PVE, really awesome. Not sure how it'll affect pvp though.

Fhtagn

Of course the roots were there in the previous games. I'm just saying that specifically environment-wise some of the stuff is even more reminiscent of it. Like major Ancient City vibes.

Ooooooooh, goddamn I can barely handle being this excited for so long.

Soriku

Woah. I wonder if there is a possibility of a few new bosses, and even a new area or something, like a true "post-game" type area. Or is that too ambitious?

ironcreed

Banned

Game of the forever.

boosh5

Banned
Beautiful and massive distractions. Hope they toned it down and softened them up. The effect is far too exaggerated.

Agreed. I like the concept, but the execution is too exaggerated. It's like watching the fight with a strobe light on. Although, to be fair, I've never been in a sword fight in an old castle while holding a torch before. It could be 100% accurate.

Garcia

- Summoning range will be determined by a combination of 2 factors: The player’s summoning range and the amount of souls acquired by that player’s character. This means that as you obtain more and more souls your summoning range will increase. If you like to hang out at low levels and gank people, eventually over time, you will be forced out of this summoning range into a higher one where this won’t be possible. This is to try and alleviate some of the ganking of new players.

Fucking wizards. Taking all the ideas out my head.

Sounds fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom