• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickfut

Banned
That lighting looks real nice, Alo. No light source means it should be fucking dark! :D

After praising you for the excellent balance and darker areas earlier, I've entered Harvest Valley yesterday and I think... it's too dark. :D The skybox is overcast, but I don't think it's supposed to be nighttime, so I just feel it should be brighter in general, more akin to the Shaded Woods than Huntsman's Copse. Might try to go into some tweaking myself (haven't done any before).

ENB reads the colour of the skybox. If the skybox is light, the level is light. If the skybox is dark, the level is dark. You make that level brighter and you're going to make every other dark level brighter.

That level has a dark skybox and no direct light source. It's dark. The developers made it dark and then added a ton of ambient light which is emitted from nowhere.

UrbanRats

ENB reads the colour of the skybox. If the skybox is light, the level is light. If the skybox is dark, the level is dark. You make that level brighter and you're going to make every other dark level brighter.

That level has a dark skybox and no direct light source. It's dark. The developers made it dark and then added a ton of ambient light which is emitted from nowhere.

Yeah, i played almost the whole game with your ENB on, but that's one of the places (along with shaded woods' foggy area) where i had to disable it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just finished Lucatiel's story line. Surprisingly moving at the end; a very subtle melancholy that the Souls series employs so well. In the end, she was right: I would remember her name.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just finished Lucatiel's story line. Surprisingly moving at the end; a very subtle melancholy that the Souls series employs so well. In the end, she was right: I would remember her name.

was about to ask, how do you do that again? i missed it on both my characters, want to do it now in NG+. just met her in no mans wharf, now what?

wickfut

Banned
Yeah, i played almost the whole game with your ENB on, but that's one of the places (along with shaded woods' foggy area) where i had to disable it.

I fixed the shaded wood area a while back. It's perfectly playable now with no fog-out.

Check the nexus in about an hour. I'll see if I can update this level and make it a touch better without wrecking everywhere else.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
was about to ask, how do you do that again? i missed it on both my characters, want to do it now in NG+. just met her in no mans wharf, now what?

Have her survive three boss fights.

HoosTrax

You guys actually managed to get ENB working? Every time I try to load a save game with ENB enabled, it just crashes on the loading screen. No issues with GeDoSaTo.

wickfut

Banned
You guys actually managed to get ENB working? Every time I try to load a save game with ENB enabled, it just crashes on the loading screen. No issues with GeDoSaTo.

Right click the dark souls 2 .exe and try getting the game to run in a different windows compatibility mode, ie win95, NTL etc

Try going into your enblocal.ini file and change forcenvidiacard to true.

If you have nVidia, use the latest beta drivers.

UrbanRats

I fixed the shaded wood area a while back. It's perfectly playable now with no fog-out.

Check the nexus in about an hour. I'll see if I can update this level and make it a touch better without wrecking everywhere else.

Maybe i had an old version, this is how it looked for me:

ileZQRTdLRq4c.png

It goes by overall screen brightness actually. In Skyrim it uses the sky values from the CK when you use the new night/day detector, but this game uses the more generic detection method.

HoosTrax

Right click the dark souls 2 .exe and try getting the game to run in a different windows compatibility mode, ie win95, NTL etc

Try going into your enblocal.ini file and change forcenvidiacard to true.

If you have nVidia, use the latest beta drivers.
Thanks, I'll give those a try this evening.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
she just fucking fell in the water before I got to the boat lol

Those are literally all the mistakes I made.

Obtuse design like that was not appreciated, regardless of how much I enjoyed the rest of the game.

Well,
Vendrick
is optional and figuring this stuff out with the community has always been part of the fun in the Souls games.
But yeah, the final boss is kinda missable if you don't do things in the right order lol which is weird.
I figured it
was somewhere in Drangleic but thought that I was missing something. Didn't think I would have to return to a room where I fought a previous boss, I thought it was something in the real throne room since nothing happened there and there's blood all over the floor but I guess it's an optional fight or something.

HoosTrax

Well,
Vendrick
is optional and figuring this stuff out with the community has always been part of the fun in the Souls games.
But yeah, the final boss is kinda missable if you don't do things in the right order lol which is weird.
I figured it
was somewhere in Drangleic but thought that I was missing something. Didn't think I would have to return to a room where I fought a previous boss, I thought it was something in the real throne room since nothing happened there and there's blood all over the floor but I guess it's an optional fight or something.
The bloodstain-covered throne room baffled me at first too. "What a bunch of maroons, dying in a completely room." Then I found out the hard way :(

Stet

Banned
Had a positively shit experience in PvP last night. Summoned to Belfry Luna and the host literally just rolled the whole time and did gestures while I stabbed and stabbed...at NOTHING. Nothing would connect, no matter how much I stabbed away.

Finally, I just stood in the centre of the room and dropped my shield because there was no point, and of course his attacks connected.

Sometimes it feels like people are absolutely aware that they're taking advantage of lag.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
she just fucking fell in the water before I got to the boat lol

Weird. The only "WTF PATHFINDING" one I had issues with is the NPC near the petrified person at the start of the game. Summoning them on the mountain path down to the desert/spider area I go up the ladder to clear the boulder traps. Climb back down and somehow he rolls completely off the cliff.

All the others have been fine though.

Haunted

I see what you're saying and understand the technical reason, but I know what a day under the kind of overcast skies that Harvest Valley has should look like, and it's brighter than this. :D

I guess I'll disable the ENB for that area, it's been great in pretty much every other area so far. :)
aye.

That sounds promising!

I understand it's a ton of tweaking but the preset's only been getting better, so it's worth it :D

BadWolf

Well,
Vendrick
I figured it

I was lucky in that I figured the difficulty of what was behind the King doors was according to how soon you found them in your playthrough and went through them in that order, ended up being the right thing to do.

wickfut

Banned
It goes by overall screen brightness actually. In Skyrim it uses the sky values from the CK when you use the new night/day detector, but this game uses the more generic detection method.

I'm sure Boris mentioned that he'd updated it to read the skynox brightness, which is why the lost bastille looks like daylight. oh well.

@Haunted

For a very slightly boosted ambient light, night time light and overall brightness version (will probably mess with the bloom on flames and a few other bits - I'll let you test it. Add me on steam. My ID is Divykecks. Let me know if there's any problems before I upload it to the nexus) . If you want more brightness just use the in-game slider.

removed

and shaded woods has looked like this for quite a while..

http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/482/images/16-1-1399715705.jpg

Haunted

I'm sure Boris mentioned that he'd updated it to read the skynox brightness, which is why the lost bastille looks like daylight. oh well.

@Haunted

For a very slightly boosted ambient light, night time light and overall brightness version (will probably mess with the bloom on flames and a few other bits). If you want more brightness just use the in-game slider.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1B1CA31D1D85130B!12399
Thanks!

Just gave it a whirl from the poison pool bonfire. The outdoor area is definitely brighter now. I already have the brightness slider on full :D I'd personally go even more on the brightness, but I understand that doing any more would break/worsen the atmosphere in other areas. I guess it's the sort of unavoidable compromise since we can only tweak global settings and not each area separately.

and shaded woods has looked like this for quite a while..

http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/482/images/16-1-1399715705.jpg
I'm torn between saying that the AO effects being visible means the area is broken or whether it gives an added otherworldly feeling. :D

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Entered the Undead Crypt and made a friend.
Ted followed me wherever I went and never attacked me. He eventually did get me killed, though...
Some dude sent his gravekeepers after me because Undead Ted carried a Torch.
"No light allowed", apparently. :(

Mistel

Banned

Ted followed me wherever I went and never attacked me. He eventually did get me killed, though...
No light is the rule but you cam disobey that rule via phantoms or just killing the wardens.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
No light is the rule but you cam disobey that rule via phantoms or just killing the wardens.
I'm trying to accomplish that last option. I can't bring myself to slay poor old Ted.

Thank you for validating my decision to kill him in my own play through

Haunted

betrayalton!

You lost out on a pretty cool NPC and a good merchant because of Ted. :p

See, I went past that guy like 7 times (I failed to find the bonfire in the crypt for ages) and every time I just killed him on sight, never knew he didn't attack you till I read about it a while later. I just see a torch and the blades come out. I feel my actions must speak slightly negatively to my character.

Newboi

Should I attack the Hiede knights?

Only if you wanna be awesome..
YES

Edit: On a different note, I'm all for being invaded, but the one thing I truly hate is when an invader just uses poison or toxic mist and just runs away from you while repeatedly poisoning you. I don't have the luxury to waste all of my poison mosses and life gems healing myself...RAAAGGGEEE!!!!

Maxwood

betrayalton!

You lost out on a pretty cool NPC and a good merchant because of Ted. :p
Bummer. :(
Even worse; Ted still went dead.

ibyxwkY76ujx3B.gif

Yeah, I was being stupid. This feels almost as bad as when you realise Sif was just guarding his masters grave.
Ah well, I was thinking about doing a New Game+ playthrough anyway.

EDIT: I killed a guard and all I got was his stupid skirt.

Now that this thread is on it's last leg, I just wanted to thank all of you. The community is one of the real neat aspects of Dark Souls and it was fantastic to experience it at the same time. The knowledge shared here has proven really invaluable.

And thanks to the mods for keeping this thread open for us!

TnK

Time to attack them knights then!

Oh man, the sentinels are destroying me.....

Both of them together is very very difficult.

EDIT: So I got the Greatsword. Is it the best Ultra GreatSword in the game?

wickfut

Banned
Thanks!

Just gave it a whirl from the poison pool bonfire. The outdoor area is definitely brighter now. I already have the brightness slider on full :D I'd personally go even more on the brightness, but I understand that doing any more would break/worsen the atmosphere in other areas. I guess it's the sort of unavoidable compromise since we can only tweak global settings and not each area separately.

Wait, what?

My preset it dark. I made it to be dark on purpose - it says on the nexus page "it's dark, you will need a torch". I was under the impression that you knew this and you'd found a part of the game which was unplayable with the current settings.
I've just spent the last hour playing through that level trying to see where your issue is and realising the issue isn't the mod, it's you. Don't download a dark mod if you don't want it dark.

I'm torn between saying that the AO effects being visible means the area is broken or whether it gives an added otherworldly feeling. :D
Turn AO off then, it'll look like the vanilla game.

Vitor711

I'm sure they're going to love every other post being about ENB, GeDoSaTo, or posting downsampled / postprocessed screenshots.

Yeah, unless there's another specific thread for DkS2 techincal discussions, that seems like a weird oversight.

Still feel like there needs to be at least a PC technical performance thread as there are for numerous other multiplatform games here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom