• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
So smooth. I've never played a Souls game that had a smooth framerate before.

You're in for a treat. I've played all Souls games on PS3 and then PC. (except for Demon's, of course)

I always prefer playing the PC version due to the stable framerate as well as the potential for graphical mods or tweaks.

EDIT: OH, and the loading times, obviously! Insane difference on PC even back before I used SSD.

Caoz

Is the DLC worth it? I have yet to complete the game. I think I am about 80%. Do I need to complete the game to play the dlc, do I need to go back?

I am talking about PC.

Might get this to mitigate the bloodborne less pain.

I got this game for 360 and PS3. I do plan to get it for PS4, but I will wait for a sale. They released this at a weird time...Bloodborne is going to be keeping me busy for a long time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
those DS2 gifs are crazy but It never happened to me /shrug

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is the DLC worth it? I have yet to complete the game. I think I am about 80%. Do I need to complete the game to play the dlc, do I need to go back?

I am talking about PC.

The DLCs are arguably the best part of the game. You don't need to have beaten the game to access them, but you do need to make progress to where the entrances of each DLC is located.

Neoweee

Exact same gifs posted every fucking time. Usually accompanied by B-Team drivel. I'm now 99% certain people wouldn't be this crazy if Miyazaki was listed as producer

Yup. I'm certain people would see the same shit if they analyzed every frame of a DkS or BB playthrough if that was the narrative about the game.

I should upload my current BB playthrough I am literally clipping my weapon through walls in almost every single Chalice fight to kill the enemy. "Awesome hit detection" my ass.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Oh come on. Could you possibly cherry pick more?

Shitty grab animations have always been an issue for the series, and there are hundreds and hundreds of times where you or the enemy freely hit through walls.

You can call it cherry picking all you want. I just posted things that ACTUALLY happened to me. So why don't you come down off your high horse?

zma1013

If I only wanted to get one Dark Souls game should I get Dark Souls on PS3 or II on PS4?

While I wholeheartedly think Dark Souls 1 is the superior game and experience, the last gen drawbacks like muddy resolution and sub-30fps and dead online community are probably good reasons to go with DS2 for PS4. There's nothing quite like playing a souls game close to it's release and just playing along with everyone else, seeing all the bloodstains and ghosts running around in the areas and being able to summon others or invade people. Funny enough, in a game all about death, the world feels so populated and alive in a way. If online play isn't important to you, then maybe DS1, if so, then this new DS2 version.

Do you have no way of playing DS1 on PC? That's the recommended option and I don't think it even requires that powerful of a computer.

I'm assuming that the PC version will look no different then the current release and that PS4/X1 will be running the game at the equivalent of high settings? With little to no change in the graphics for the PC version it appears it is looking like getting the PS4 version is a good choice for my current gaming setup.

Planning on picking up the Xbone version, hopefully some impressions of it come out before it's out next week. Hopefully it runs at 60fps pretty consistently.

Adaren

On the note of the Pursuer hitbox gif: I recall a very long discussion around the launch of DS2 where we concluded that the Pursuer likely clipped the player's leg/foot. It may actually be a result of the hit detection in the game being too precise, picking up a hit that it should let slide instead. It's exacerbated by there being less invincibility frames on roll.

But yeah, here's to hoping they cleaned up the Mimic one. That attack's basically a one-shot, and the glitch happens consistently.

Yup. I'm certain people would see the same shit if they analyzed every frame of a DkS or BB playthrough if that was the narrative about the game.

I should upload my current BB playthrough I am literally clipping my weapon through walls in almost every single Chalice fight to kill the enemy. "Awesome hit detection" my ass.

I've noticed in BB that many weapons now don't contact with walls at all. I think it's a gameplay-inspired change, and likely one that happened mid-development. The whip-form cane still contacts walls as expected (depending on where it contacts, it may or may not cancel the animation), but the sword-form cane goes straight through.

That's how I killed the first
giant pig
!

ElTopo

Banned
[*]Controller (360, XBO, etc) because this game's controls suck on PC
[/LIST]

I just stuck my head in here but I'm confused by this statement. The controls are fine with Mouse and Keyboard. The only problem is you can't parry or do the jump attack without using a keybinding tool. Otherwise they're fine.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
On the note of the Pursuer hitbox gif: I recall a very long discussion around the launch of DS2 where we concluded that the Pursuer likely clipped the player's leg/foot. It may actually be a result of the hit detection in the game being too precise, picking up a hit that it should let slide instead. It's exacerbated by there being less invincibility frames on roll.

But yeah, here's to hoping they cleaned up the Mimic one. That attack's basically a one-shot, and the glitch happens consistently.

There just wasn't enough proper feedback to the player that would clearly indicate as to why you are taking damage. It has never been perfect in the series, but it's a definite step back from what DS1's was. There's videos all over that show enemies causing damage to you before they even connected with their swing.

Neoweee

You can call it cherry picking all you want. I just posted things that ACTUALLY happened to me. So why don't you come down off your high horse?

It isn't saying DkS2 has bad hit detection that is the issue. It is acting like Dark Souls 1 had good hit detection, when that same shit still happened, and clipping is more rampant, and both continue as blatantly in BB as they have in the previous games.

Gattsu25

Banned
man I loved DS1 and I loved Bloodborne (already went through it once)
never played DS2
I hope the slow combat wont be frustrating, coming from BB
Your character is even slower than you were in Dark Souls 1.

Yes, they made your character control worse.

I might look at picking this up after I beat Bloodborne, I don't know why I skipped it the first time around considering Dark Souls became one of my favourite games. I'm curious how much work went into the ports, I'm looking forward to a digital foundry article on what got upgraded.

Adaren

There just wasn't enough proper feedback to the player that would clearly indicate as to why you are taking damage. It has never been perfect in the series, but it's a definite step back from what DS1's was. There's videos all over that show enemies causing damage to you before they even connected with their swing.

Yeah, I'm not excusing it. Just recalling some discussion. I remember going through that gif frame-by-frame.

In a perfect world (game?), that particular attack would only hit if it contacted the player's torso, and a hit to the player's foot would cause glancing damage or a knockdown. DS1 got around this by not having Adaptability be a stat, and it looks extra bad in that gif because the attack in question is a rather unique "grab".

Neoweee

That's how I killed the first
giant pig
!

That's how I killed CB, Father G, BSB, and about a dozen Chalice bosses.

The Giant Pigs just outright wrong bad hitboxes, too. I've done overhead swings that outright, unambiguously missed, and had them count as full hits.

GulAtiCa

I am talking about PC.

Only played the 1st DLC, but it's awesome. More maze like with different paths and shortcuts to unlock. Enemies are lot tougher. Heck, even has optional areas, including 1 optional, insanely hard optional boss.

Neoweee

I've noticed in BB that many weapons now don't contact with walls at all. I think it's a gameplay-inspired change, and likely one that happened mid-development. The whip-form cane still contacts walls as expected (depending on where it contacts, it may or may not cancel the animation), but the sword-form cane goes straight through.

It depends when in your swing it lands, and how far along the length it hits. If it is early in the swing, and close to the hit, the whip will clang. If it is later in the hit or farther from the hilt, it will go right through. It makes it really easy to hang up enemies on walls and pillars and just butcher them.

It's the same in the Souls series. Dark Souls 2 just took all of the pillars and shit out of boss fights, for the most part.

HeelPower

Maaan.

Comparing Shaded woods and forest of the fallen giants to Forbidden Woods and Hemwick Charnel Lane in BloodBorne makes the game visual gap seem so ridiculous.

Still,won't let such minor details stop me from getting a great game.Its an unfair comparison anyway as BloodBorne is totally in a league of its own,visually.

burgerdog

This is why it pains me that they didn't do Dark Souls 1 instead. All of the new players are gonna play Souls 2 and be like "this is what all the hype was about?..."

As opposed to, holy shit the second half of dark souls 1 is absolute trash :|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll have to purchase this for PS4...eventually. One week after Bloodborne is odd timing. These games are super involving and I can't imagine playing two of them at once. But on the plus side, this means I can wait for a decent sale to come along.

I think Bloodborne showed how it *should* have been fixed. Staying behind enemies isn't easy in that game, but it's not because the monsters are in swivel chairs.

Enemies in Bloodborne still "swivel chair", it's just less pronounced since player movement is tuned up much higher so it's easier in general to avoid their attacks. I've had numerous incidents in Bloodborne of enemies starting to attack in one direction and then swivel 180 degrees mid attack to strike me when I dodged behind them.

Gbraga

It'll be a different game in my library, right? I'll probably buy it because it's Dark Souls, but I'm not so convinced by the enemy placement changes, so if it replaces the vanilla Dark Souls in my Steam Library, then I'm not touching it until I've seen a lot of streams.

Randam

And as for the whole 'lock-on' and tracking that the enemies do. GOOD. If not, you'd just walk around and backstab half of them as you did in DkS1. It fixed an issue that needed to be fixed.
Lol?
If they wanted to fix that, there would have been a bunch of better ways to do that.

And did you really think "awesome, the enemy tracks my all around so I can't back stab him"?
Only it isn't.

ironcreed

Banned
Enemies in Bloodborne still "swivel chair", it's just less pronounced since player movement is tuned up much higher so it's easier in general to avoid their attacks. I've had numerous incidents in Bloodborne of enemies starting to attack in one direction and then swivel 180 degrees mid attack to strike me when I dodged behind them.

Same thing happened here. Thought nothing of it other than it's 'Souls-like.'

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Maaan.

Comparing Shaded woods and forest of the fallen giants to Forbidden Woods and Hemwick Charnel Lane in BloodBorne makes the game visual gap seem so ridiculous.

Still,won't let such minor details stop me from getting a great game.Its an unfair comparison anyway as BloodBorne is totally in a league of its own,visually.

If they continue the series and make a Dark Souls 3 then I'd expect it'll look amazing considering DS2 was originally a last-gen title and not current-gen like Bloodborne.

Probably never would have had to make such a drastic downgrade either if they'd released it later on PS4/PC only, but who knows.

It'll be a different game in my library, right? I'll probably buy it because it's Dark Souls, but I'm not so convinced by the enemy placement changes, so if it replaces the vanilla Dark Souls in my Steam Library, then I'm not touching it until I've seen a lot of streams.

Different game, yes. It's already out on JP steam store iirc.

Robot Pants

wasnt a fan of vanilla ds2, but I'd be lying if all this new content and changes didn't have me excited. more excited than playing bloodborne to be honest.
(and I LIKE bloodborne)

def sim

It is considered a different game on Steam, yes.

I just stuck my head in here but I'm confused by this statement. The controls are fine with Mouse and Keyboard. The only problem is you can't parry or do the jump attack without using a keybinding tool. Otherwise they're fine.
Far from optimal, that said I think DS1 is clouding my memory. I remember having an awful time with the keyboard when I played one of these games, so I switched over to my controller for the rest.

Adaren

Fair enough. Only up through 3 bosses and some Chalice thus far, so I've still got a lot more to see.

zma1013

Lost Izalith is trash, the others are fine. Certainly though the game is a bit front loaded in regards to it's more interesting areas. Besides, maybe if they ever did redo the game, that would be their chance to fix Izalith and make it an actual good level.

Vaporak

Because last time I saw that pursuer gif someone broke it down into individual frames and saw that the player actually does get hit with the grab attack. So yeah, you continuing to post it as an example of bad hit detection is extremely dishonest and reveals that you are posting with an agenda instead of to inform.

Gbraga

It is considered a different game on Steam, yes.

Ok then, I'm in.

Still on my first playthrough of Bloodborne, so it's gonna be a while before I play it, but I'm definitely playing it.

Lost Izalith is trash, the others are fine. Certainly though the game is a bit front loaded in regards to it's more interesting areas. Besides, maybe if they ever did redo the game, that would be their chance to fix Izalith and make it an actual good level.

Ever since I learned Tokhi Bombs, I don't even mind Lost Izalith anymore, it's actually kinda fun to do, haha.

Top Bottom