• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

16803828960_e9b846c510_o.jpg

16370784714_2358b324a0_o.png

Developer:
  • From Software
Publisher:
  • Bandai Namco
Platforms:
  • PC*
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox 360*
  • PlayStation 4
  • PlayStation 3*
Release Dates:
  • April 1, 2015 @ 3PM PST [WW] (PC)
  • April 2, 2015 [EU] [AU] [NZ] (PS3, PS4, 360, XBO)
  • April 7, 2015 [NA] (PS3, PS4, 360, XBO)
  • April 9, 2015 [JP] (PS4, XBO)
PC Requirements:
MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz, AMD A8 3870 3.6GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 / AMD Radeon HD 6870 (DX11 required)
  • Hard Drive: 23 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz, AMD FX 8150 3.6GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (700 series) / ATI Radeon HD 7850 or better (DX11 required)
  • Hard Drive: 23 GB available space
  • Controller (360, XBO, etc) because this game's controls are iffy on PC. (IMO)
What is Dark Souls 2?

Dark Souls II is a Dark Fantasy RPG Centered around tense dungeon exploration and a difficult, satisfying challenges.

In addition to the normal appeals of growth and discovery that RPGs provide, Dark Souls II aims to give the player a sense of accomplishment. The serious dangers in the game fosters greater verisimilitude and more immersion in the world of this Action Adventure.

Another Hallmark of the series - Its simple system for sharing your world with other players online - Returns better than ever in Dark Souls II with the introduction of dedicated game servers, resulting in a smoother multiplayer experience. Without any need for words you can bring another player into your adventure experience.

Master the formidable challenges of this dark fantasy world, and be rewarded.
16991673562_48f6331d1f_o.png

16785506637_99d93765d7_o.png

Here's the gist: (consider the DX9 and DX11 versions two different products)
  • To get all the changes and new stuff (6 player MP, graphics tweaks, enemy placement, gameplay), you must purchase the DX11 PC, PS4, or XBO version of the game.
  • You can repurchase the game on PS360 and you'll get all the DLC + the free update that everybody already got. It's basically a GOTY edition.
  • You can repurchase the DX9 version of the game on PC, with all the DLC and the free update, but you cannot play with people on the DX11 version.
  • Your save data does not transfer if you buy a complete (aka new-gen/DX11) version.
  • If you own the DX9 version on PC already, you get an "upgrade" price. Upgrade prices for PC DX11 version are $30 if you don't own DLCs, $20 if you own DLCs. Non-upgrade is $50.
Alright if that isn't enough, just ask in the thread, somebody probably knows.
16806167629_69a3e14088_o.png

• All DLC included (Requires repurchase, all versions)
  • Enemy placement has been changed (DX11, PS4, XBO only)
  • Item placement has been changed (DX11, PS4, XBO only)
  • You can summon and get invaded by more phantoms (6 players instead of 4) (DX11, PS4, XBO only)
  • Slight graphical tweaks (DX11, PS4, XBO only)
  • NPC added (all versions)
  • New NPC invaders. (DX11, PS4, XBO only)
  • Weapon/Armour Rebalance (all versions)
  • Added or changed lore in item descriptions (all versions)
16991954412_e386528721_o.png

Got a better subtitle? Feel free to suggest it. Lightning Returns was the original (before we knew a whole lot about the game), but the original lighting is not in the game. Modified Star Wars quote.

If I forgot something, PM me.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Looking forward to seeing the new changes. Dont think Ill have BB done by the time this comes out though D: lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Aww man so psyched for this. Never played Dark Souls 2 and have been waiting for the inevitable "definitive edition" to play it.

Now if only they'll put the damn thing up on Steam already.

Persona7

Banned
Wait, this is out today? I guess I will be playing this since I can't play bloodborne without feeling motion sickness.

Great OT. Was hoping for "Prepare to Rebuy Edition" but this one was pretty good too. The upgrade will only be twenty dollars for me and since I mostly PvP this will be the one to get. I am curious to see how much different the game will be with all the tweaks though.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Lightning (does not) Return

3.5/10 - Bad OT title.

Anyways, looking forward to a second platinum trophy.

burgerdog

Buying after I'm completely done with bb. I loved dark souls 2, so I hope they didn't completely mess this up balance wise.

Circinae

Neo Member
The fact you can somehow get a DX9 version has gotten me worried now. I have the retail version on order and I'll be very annoyed if it isn't the DX11 version. It was cheaper to retail the game again as I don't own the DLC.

Beaulieu

man I loved DS1 and I loved Bloodborne (already went through it once)
never played DS2
I hope the slow combat wont be frustrating, coming from BB

Is this a remaster? Or a standalone expansion?

I'm new to the souls stuff - been having fun with BB but am intrigued at the possibility of 60fps or just better performance overall. Are the current gen console versions 1080p @ 60fps? Something close?

ironcreed

Banned

I'm new to the souls stuff - been having fun with BB but am intrigued at the possibility of 60fps or just better performance overall. Are the current gen console versions 1080p @ 60fps?

A remaster with a technical upgrade to1080p and 60 fps. It also has new enemy and item placement, new enemy behavior, other new content, plus all of the DLC.

The fact you can somehow get a DX9 version has gotten me worried now. I have the retail version on order and I'll be very annoyed if it isn't the DX11 version. It was cheaper to retail the game again as I don't own the DLC.

This is me as well.

I would be fucking incensed if the retail version I have on pre order turns out to be DX9. Why would you even sell that? Include it in the DX11 version FFS! No reason the retail version shouldnt redeem both those versions to your Steam account at once.

Yeah. Awesome. And you have to kill it to access the Cathedral, can't run past it haha

So you cant get the cling ring without killing the dragon?

Nephtes

I'm new to the souls stuff - been having fun with BB but am intrigued at the possibility of 60fps or just better performance overall. Are the current gen console versions 1080p @ 60fps? Something close?

They rearranged the enemies and where some of the items appear and tweaked the lighting. I'd call it a "directors cut" and "GOTY Edition" all in one since you get all the DLC too.

Both consoles are 1080p @ 60FPS... Supposedly. No test of the Xbox One version yet to my knowledge... But From says it is 1080p @60FPS, so it probably is.

PS3/360/DX9PC - Full game + DLC + tweaks and additions from an older patch (Basically GOTY edition)

PS4/XBO/DX11PC - Full game + DLC + tweaks and additions from an older patch + patch that tweaks and adds a lot of stuff + a couple graphical enhancements (Basically Director's Cut)

New console versions are 1080p60.

Hope the xbox one version doesn't have any major problems.

Enjoying Bloodborne, but it's made my dislike for dual shock 4 even greater. Do not want to play it on PS4 if I can avoid it.

Deadstar

A remaster with a technical upgrade to1080p and 60 fps. It also has new enemy and item placement, new enemy behavior, other new content, plus all of the DLC.

Are ragdoll enemies back? The answer to that question will determine whether or not I buy the game.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
man I loved DS1 and I loved Bloodborne (already went through it once)
never played DS2
I hope the slow combat wont be frustrating, coming from BB

It might take you time to adjust at first, but once you get into I think you'll enjoy it.

I'll really miss the mechanic to be able to regain your health by hitting opponents like in BB. I'll sure as hell not miss having to farm for vials in early-game though. Estus Flask is love. Estus Flask is life.

Jesus fuck there is a
Guardian Dragon
in Heide's now?

Yeah. Awesome. And you have to kill it to access the Cathedral, can't run past it haha

WHAT? That'll potentially ruin my sunbro speedrun. :| .. ah well, he's going down sooner or later.

Hope new item placement is more along the lines of "let's place this good mid-late game item behind this extremely powerful enemy and see who gets it" and not "haha the dull ember is on one of the burning rocks in the magma now".

Didn't play much of the original release, are enemy location remixed because they were bad in the original or just to give people who've already beaten it a reason to buy it again?

Vire

I'm not trying to troll in the slightest, just one question..

Did they add back in the original lighting that was first demoed with the game?

Zophar

So I have no idea how this works. I have the DX9 PC version and 2/3rds of the DLC. Am I still able to buy the $20 upgrade? Is there any point to buying it, besides just buying the last DLC and calling it a day?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Since I'm pretty dumb, I bought SotFS for PC, even knowing that I fucking hated Dark Souls II with a passion. Well, at least I managed to get it for €20, which is less than the Season Pass for the regular edition, right? And the three DLC campaigns are the best Dark Souls II has to offer... right?

I hope so.

So I have no idea how this works. I have the DX9 PC version and 2/3rds of the DLC. Am I still able to buy the $20 upgrade? Is there any point to buying it, besides just buying the last DLC and calling it a day?

As far as I can tell, you need to have all three DLCs to be elegible for the discount. At that point, the only thing that this new edition will bring to the table is 1. DirectX 11 effects; 2. new enemy placements (different and/or more enemies), and 3. a bump from 4 to 6 players online. If you can live without that, you don't really need to "upgrade" to the DX11 version.

Didn't play much of the original release, are enemy location remixed because they were bad in the original or just to give people who've already beaten it a reason to buy it again?

Bit of both I imagine. Some of the enemy placement was really poor in the first game. A shit ton of gank squads and some enemies that tracked you from miles away. Hopefully this does away with that.

Anth0ny

I love Dark Souls 2 but this is not only way too close to the original release, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close to Bloodborne.

I'll definitely grab this for cheap one day when I want to re-experience this classic. For anyone that missed Dark Souls 2, definitely get in on this.

Santiako

So you cant get the cling ring without killing the dragon?

I haven't played SOTFS yet. The ring might not even be there now, all I saw in a stream is that the lever to get the bridge down won't show up if you don't kill it. They were really easy though, at least in the base game.

Guevara

Hope new item placement is more along the lines of "let's place this good mid-late game item behind this extremely powerful enemy and see who gets it" and not "haha the dull ember is on one of the burning rocks in the magma now".

I read somewhere that for example the
lance
is now available pretty early, so I'm hoping its later game items moved up.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm not trying to troll in the slightest, just one question..

Did they add back in the original lighting that was first demoed with the game?

Yeah, I was a bit bummed to hear they hadn't. I thought the reason it was taken out was due the lack of ability from the "HD" Twins. Which made me think a rerelease would add it back in. I'll wait for a sale. I have this on the PS3 and the PC(with all the DLC) and it's not worth $20.00 in my mind to "upgrade."

Vire

Bummer, I wonder if that demo was actually even playable at this point. The swapping of textures and lighting is just so bizarre to me. Especially since the assets and code were already functional in some capacity and the PS4/Xbox One/PC are absolutely capable of using it.

I guess we'll never find out what happened there. Shame, because Dark Souls 2 environments are pretty drab.

Top Bottom