• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III DLC: Ashes of Ariandel - review thread

So I paid 15 euros for 2 new bosses. Nice. Where are those who complained about BB DLC price which, compared to this, was at least twice as long.

Aurongel

I'm willing to bet the content for the two DLCs will be comparable to the previous two in total. Much of the disapointment I'm reading stems from the lengthy development time this had.

It think we all need to take a step back and realize that From has put out two fantastic Souls games plus DLC plus Bloodborne in the span of like four years. Output like that is kinda nuts for a Japanese dev of that size.

Cruxist

Im a die hard souls fan, but I'm waiting. I picked up ds3 early using the Japanese/us trick on the Xbox one and I tried to go back and play it recently and the slowdowns are just horrendous. Is it any better on PS4? I might get the inevitable complete edition there if so.

For those seriously complaining about the "lengthy development time"
You do realize the studio is working on 2 new IPs and an Armored Core Reboot right? It's not like they don't have other shit to do.

I'll get it as it's more Souls, But you just get that feeling that FS really are done with the Souls series and can't blame them to be fair. Would rather they just went the BB route and merged the expansions together into one.

any spoilery reviews that dive into lore implications if any? I am ok with a short but sweet experience if there are some interesting revelations mixed in.

DemWalls

Just 2 bosses is kinda disappointing. Let's just hope they are better placed than those in the Sunken King DLC :lol:

Arkeband

Banned
I'm willing to bet the content for the two DLCs will be comparable to the previous two in total. Much of the disapointment I'm reading stems from the lengthy development time this had.

It think we all need to take a step back and realize that From has put out two fantastic Souls games plus DLC plus Bloodborne in the span of like four years. Output like that is kinda nuts for a Japanese dev of that size.

so Dark Souls 3's paltry DLC offerings are okay... because they made Bloodborne...?

For those seriously complaining about the "lengthy development time"
You do realize the studio is working on 2 new IPs and an Armored Core Reboot right? It's not like they don't have other shit to do.

oh okay cool, so now we're excusing it with games that haven't even been named.

Good lord people, have some self respect.

Couleurs

Probably won't be picking this up. I think I've been spoiled by the BB DLC.

I feel kind of underwhelmed also, but it might be unfair to compare this to The Old Hunters, when that wound up being larger in scale due to canceling the other planned DLC and putting everything in TOH instead (at a higher price if I remember correctly).

If Ashes + 2nd/3rd(?) DLC still wind up with less content than TOH then I'll be pretty disappointed.

Dinda

Only 4 new Armor sets. That sucks. The main game really lacks in good armor, especially light ones.
Sounds overall pretty disappointing.

Sanctuary

Guess I'll do what I did with the previous DLC, and simply wait until it's all released. I usually replay the hell out of the vanilla games upon release, and I don't see any point in replaying them again right away as soon as the initial DLC is released, if it means I'm going to be replaying it again soon after anyway.

Probably won't be picking this up. I think I've been spoiled by the BB DLC.

Which was already two DLCs packed into one.

so Dark Souls 3's paltry DLC offerings are okay... because they made Bloodborne...?

oh okay cool, so now we're excusing it with games that haven't even been named.

Good lord people, have some self respect.
Opposed to getting all upset over nothing?
"But theyve been working on it for so long!"
"Yeah but they've split their resources and attention between 3 much larger projects"
"SO WE'RE JUST GOING TO EXCUSE THIS OUTRAGE NOW?!"
Get over yourself.

spliced

I can understand how they have so many projects on the go now. DS3 didn't seem to get the same dedication that the other games did and it sounds like that continues with the DLC.

Seems its main problem is that it's light on content. Hopefully the second DLC will be meatier, otherwise they should've done an Old Hunters and release both as one DLC.
I agree with this, but maybe there's more to it - perhaps deadlines with Namco? Maybe get the shorter one out now and they're still working on the second, which is hopefully bigger.

All pulled out of my ass of course.

jorgeton

D'oh. Was looking forward to it. Maybe I'll wait for a sale or bundle.

That Hardcore Gamer review is so spoileriffic though lol.

BriGuy

Sounds like a cynical cash grab to me. Two bosses? Really? Artorious of the Abyss had two bosses within its first half hour.

Must be spreading themselves thin with 3 more games in active development

Cant believe they dropped the ball on this one

:/

Carlius

Banned
This just enforces what we all knew. Its.more of an extension of dark souls 1 than a sequel or continuation. Ds2 is still the best in the series.for.me. but who cares already have collectors edition.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sounds like a cynical cash grab to me. Two bosses? Really? Artorious of the Abyss had two bosses within its first half hour.

AOTA was also one big DLC for DkS. Ashes of Ariandel is one part of DLC only, with more to come.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think I'll wait for complete edition or something with all DLCs, plus I never bothered to buy DLCs or season pass for DSII and bought SOTFS day one for the price of DSII season pass. So... fuck DLCs and season pass for DSIII, complete edition is the way to go... again.

Nose Master

Ds3 was fairly boring as is, so this isn't too shocking. I'll pick it up anyways and promptly forget it exists after beating it once. Waiting on their new stuff.

Surprised to see people so down on the length, 3-5 hours seems fine to me for $15, that's pretty typical for DLC, and From DLC is usually higher in quality than DLC from most devs. Sure, I would like more, but I'm willing to pay $15 for what they are offering, and at some point that's really all that matters.

Arkeband

Banned
Opposed to getting all upset over nothing?
"But theyve been working on it for so long!"
"Yeah but they've split their resources and attention between 3 much larger projects"
"SO WE'RE JUST GOING TO EXCUSE THIS OUTRAGE NOW?!"
Get over yourself.

Sorry, I don't judge games on a curve based on effort or circumstances outside of my control as a consumer. I am not their PR team, making excuses for the quality of the things they're selling me.

This DLC is marketed the same as any other DLC, there is no "but they were real busy with something else so don't judge it too harshly" card that can be played here. No one except the most staunch of apologists should care about that because it is entirely irrelevant.

Angelina

Banned
i kinder get the feeling that from are genuinely tired of dark souls right now and are just tying things together so to speak.

Were previous DLCs really all that long? I'm not even close to being a great player by GAF standards and I don't remember Artorias in DS being terribly lengthy nor did the King DLC in DS2. Bloodborne DLC took forever, but only because
Ludwig
took 2 hours, bridge boss redux took 3, and
Kos (Kill on Sight)
took at least 4 hours.

Sorry, I don't judge games on a curve based on effort or circumstances outside of my control as a consumer. I am not their PR team, making excuses for the quality of the things they're selling me.

This DLC is marketed the same as any other DLC, there is no "but they were real busy with something else so don't judge it too harshly" card that can be played here. No one except the most staunch of apologists should care about that because it is entirely irrelevant.
Length=/=quality
Nor did anyone mention anything about the quality. I said that they were working on other things in addition to working on this because others were acting like they has the last 7 months to work on it exclusively. No one's making excuses. If you want to look for reasons to be offended and upset over something you have yet to touch that's on you, but it doesn't make you look any less than petulant. "This DLC is marketed the same way as any other DLC" you mean like Horse armor and WoW expansions? Funny how both of those things fall under the same category yet vary wildly. Once again, get over yourself.

Arkeband

Banned
Were previous DLCs really all that long? I'm not even close to being a great player by GAF standards and I don't remember Artorias in DS being terribly lengthy nor did the King DLC in DS2. Bloodborne DLC took forever, but only because
Ludwig
took 2 hours, bridge boss redux took 3, and
Kos (Kill on Sight)
took at least 4 hours.

AotA added:
4 bosses
5 spells
6 armor sets
12 weapons
1 ring
6 enemies

They were also working on Dark Souls 2 and a PC port of DS1, so I'm sure they were really stretched thin or whatever sob story Killer Queen wants to use to justify DS3's lesser DLC.

Unfortunate it's only two bosses but it still seems like a decent length for being one of two dlcs. That and the inclusion of a proper pvp thing seems like a decent amount for a dlc.

Don't know why people are comparing it to old hunters and AOTA. Those were the only one dlc for their games. Better to compare it to ds2 dlc and those had to cut corners for some boss fights.

I can see how some would be dissapointed in maybe time but much more interested in story, difficulty (in NG+), design, and new weapons.

They were also working on Dark Souls 2 and a PC port of DS1, so I'm sure they were really stretched thin or whatever sob story Killer Queen wants to use to justify DS3's lesser DLC.
Translation: "I've run out if excuses and stupid complaints so I'm going to shitpost for attention"

Lux R7

As a single DLC priced at $15, the same as this.

A second DS3 DLC priced at $15 doesn't retroactively make this one any better.

You're not gonna get the same amount of content of aota in two dlcs, you're gonna get more.
So the pricing seems pretty fair to me (considering this is from,so these will probably be 5 amazing hours with high quality conent).

Arkeband

Banned
Translation: "I've run out if excuses and stupid complaints so I'm going to shitpost for attention"

...because "they're really busy with other things, stop complaining" is such constructive discussion.

Don't take negative feedback so personally, you didn't develop the game.

Bersi

Yeah only 2 boss is... not great,still, it's more souls and i'll gladly Take it, the pvp arena also sounds awesome.

...because "they're really busy with other things, stop complaining" is such constructive discussion.

You're giving negative feedback for something you haven't played, outraged, kicking and screaming over something you yourself haven't played yet, complaining about me dispelling a myth then shoving words in my mouth, and calling me out for being opposed to your silliness. It's not like you ever had any discussion to begin with.

People complained that they had 7 months to develop this
Fact of the matter is that's not entirely true, which is what I stated and nothing more. You then attempt to use that as an excuse to complain about the quality of the product due to its length towards me despite me bringing up no such discussion then continue on your downward spiral into nonsensical behavior.

But yes, it's everyone else that's in the wrong
/S

But it is though, it's not like they devoted the whole 7 months to this game only. Could have some sense of how game development work.
Again he wasn't saying it was a clear excuse for it just that people shouldn't say how long they had time to put into it and how much we are getting from it.

AotA added:
4 bosses
5 spells
6 armor sets
12 weapons
1 ring
6 enemies

It also took more time to be released compared to this one. Also higher dev cost and larger workforce is needed between this gen and last gen.

You are free to consider the DLC dosn't offer enough bang for the money, but this comparisson is just silly.

Top Bottom