• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III DLC: Ashes of Ariandel - review thread

I'd love to say I'll wait until both expansions are out but I know full well I'll cave on the 25th.

This does sound underwhelming especially considering I stopped my PS+ sub for now so the PvP stuff doesn't concern me.

Nameless

My god. I really don't get the hate for this game.

why do a hand full of negative comments always constitute a game being "hated"? This game will be high on GAF's GOTY list.

Also PvP is clearly the focus of this expansion one and some of these reviews don't seem to be taking that into account much.

Gator86

Continuously forget DS3 even came out, and I beat it on release. I'll probably wait for a GOTY version or a super cheap flash sale on this along with a used version of DS3 to play this.

Qwyjibo

Damn, too bad. I pretty much play single-player only with these games. So there's little reason for me to get this.

Ouch, doesn't look good.

Is Painted World of Ariandel the actual name of the area? Because if so I'm really confused and disappointed at how bereft of ideas DS3 as a whole has been, with this DLC being the culmination of total lack of inspiration.

Seems its main problem is that it's light on content. Hopefully the second DLC will be meatier, otherwise they should've done an Old Hunters and release both as one DLC.

But old Hunters wasn't even that long either. This is shorter than Old Hunters?

Ouch, doesn't look good.

Is Painted World of Ariandel the actual name of the area? Because if so I'm really confused and disappointed at how bereft of ideas DS3 as a whole has been, with this being the culmination of total lack of inspiration.

I like Dark souls 3 but I know where you're coming from. I guess I'm not really disappointed cause it's what I expected. These games need more time to develop, and it's pretty clear to me that FROM has just stuck to the formula

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Continuously forget DS3 even came out, and I beat it on release. I'll probably wait for a GOTY version or a super cheap flash sale on this along with a used version of DS3 to play this.

Same here. I've always ignored the Souls DLC until they're all available and then just do a fresh character and binge the entire game. I also use these second runs as trophy clean up. Trophies and new content make second play-throughs pretty enjoyable.

Ouch, doesn't look good.

Is Painted World of Ariandel the actual name of the area? Because if so I'm really confused and disappointed at how bereft of ideas DS3 as a whole has been, with this DLC being the culmination of total lack of inspiration.
Whether it's a good thing or not is up to the individual but that's how Miyazaki wanted it. I'm kinda disappointed about it too but not as upset as others are, what we got was well crafted so I can't complain, I'd rather take that then new but poorly thought out.

BB is the new DS1

Probably a bit longer, Old Hunters was quite meaty, but also way more expensive.

I don't get the comparissons...

To me Old Hunters felt long because the bosses were difficult. I don't really think it was "meaty" at all to be honest. I still think it's very good

It came after Bloodborne so Gaf has to shit all over it to protect the 30 FPS golden child.

they releases 3 games in 3 years. Of course some things will suffer. I don't think you really believe what you're saying tbh

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone know if the new weapons are available to be viewed yet? That's one thing I don't mind spoilering myself on.

guyssorry

Not surprised. I wasn't expecting the DLC to be anywhere near the quality of DS2's DLC, but I will still get it sometime in the future.

Gbraga

I'm more worried about the quality than the length. I tend to take my time with these games, I've seen people finishing their first playthrough of Dark Souls III in 18 hours, so reports on how long Souls content is means nothing to me. What doesn't look too good, though, is that I didn't really like what they showed of the DLC. Didn't inspire confidence at all, and the first impressions we have now in the form of reviews aren't too exciting either.

At this point I'm just playing to see where the story goes. I've read some descriptions that got my interest.

Whether it's a good thing or not is up to the individual but that's how Miyazaki wanted it. I'm kinda disappointed about it too but not as upset as others are, what we got was well crafted so I can't complain, I'd rather take that then new but poorly thought out.

I wasn't bothered by it in the main game, but when Miyazaki started to talk about the first DLC and how it would allow us to look at DS3 from a different perspective, I was expecting some brand new stuff. Then they announce the DLC, and I'm thinking, "ok, Ariandel could be the original land that Ariamis used as inspiration to draw his painted world, I'm excited!"

But nope, it's another painted world. And all I can think is: "really?"

I'm wondering if at this point, I'm better just waiting for the second part and consuming it all in one go.

Yeah, that is what I plan to do. Since PvE I'd most important to me, I doubt that I would be satisfied with this amount of content for $15. Will wait for more DLC and a sale.

It's a shame because the Bloodborne DLC was both substantial and good.

Gbraga

Yeah, that is what I plan to do. Since PvE I'd most important to me, I doubt that I would be satisfied with this amount of content for $15. Will wait for more DLC and a sale.

It's a shame because the Bloodborne DLC was both substantial and good.

I got my season pass with steam trading card money, and I'm still not too excited. If you can wait, it'd most likely be a better PVE experience.

Playing at launch has the advantage of experiencing the higher online activity, though. I'm definitely using dried finger all the way on my first playthrough.

J-Rod

It is very disappointing. It is half a typical souls DLC. The next DLC is a continuation of the same story and basically the other half of what should have been 1 complete DLC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This DLC just seems so disappointing, especially compared to the Crowns Trilogy. Then again that wasn't as much DLC as it was an old-school expansion pack released in parts.

Ellite25

I love this series and will gladly buy and play this. More Dark Souls is always great. Also, some people are acting like this is receiving 5's or something. 70's isn't amazing but it's not terrible.

J-Rod

have you played it

Do I need to when it came straight from the horse's mouth?

Interviewer: How many DLCs do you plan for Dark Souls 3? Compared to Artorias of the Abyss, how much volume does it have?

Miyazaki: there will be 2 DLCs. This one, and another in early 2017. If you combine both DLC1 and DLC2, the size would be approximately Artorias of the Abyss, or alternatively similar size to a DLC of a SOULS series. Or perhaps a little bigger.
https://m.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/53xuso/ign_jp_posts_a_miyazaki_interview_of_whats_in_dlc/

Jombie

It's definitely not going to take an experienced player 10 hours to complete this. I'm sure some will find it even than shorter 3 hours.

Disappointing about the bonfires and that the areas don't seem fleshed out. I'm genuinely surprised by FROM.

^ Same

Pretty disappointing reviews. I won't be buying it for now; I can't justify spending $15 for only 2 new bosses. Too bad because DS3 is far and away my GOTY.

Aurongel

Where is this revisionist history DS3 hate coming from all of a sudden...?

Dark Souls 3 was a great game the day it was released. DS2 required 3 DLC packs before it even approached the volume of intricate multi-layered dungeons that defined the series up to that point.

Did Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition have different trophy lists than the base version? I may just wait for the re-release so I can platinum it again.

Although... those ears...

Where is this revisionist history DS3 hate coming from all of a sudden...?

Dark Souls 3 was a great game the day it was released. DS2 required 3 DLC packs before it even approached the volume of intricate multi-layered dungeons that defined the series up to that point.
I've also seen people say that Dark Souls III lore wise is a retread as if they forgot the story of Dark Souls II.
Revisionist history indeed

Top Bottom