• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III DLC: Ashes of Ariandel - review thread

Ratrat

2 bosses is fine
because each of them have 2 enemies
imo.
Besides,it's not like the previous dlcs had 10 bosses each or something.
Artorias:4
Sunken king:3
Iron king:3
Ivory king:3
The only thing that worries me is the length of the dlc and i hope you can meet new npcs.
Those extra DS2 dlc bosses shouldn't count. Even Laurence is questionable.

Does anyone have the prices of previous dlc? DS3 I think is cheaper than Bloodborne, DS1 but more than DS2 right?

MCD

Do we have impressions of the story already?

Why is it that everyone who gets to play early doesn't give a shit about it? >_<

EDIT: Eleum Loyce is shit, btw.

Shulva for life.

Shit story. Shitty loot till I beat the final boss. Lovely, just lovely lovely weapon.

Maybe that one armor is good but still....

Fight is Nameless King hype. Get ready to get your ass kicked, folks.

I posted almost the full fight on the official thread on gaming community for anyone interested.

Does anyone have the prices of previous dlc? DS3 I think is cheaper than Bloodborne, DS1 but more than DS2 right?

Artorias was $19.99 at release and still is today I believe. It was on sale during one of the weekly Xbox sales recently though. It stood out to me because that never goes on sale.

The DS2 dlcs were $9.99 each seperate or $25.00 for all 3.

Bloodbournes The Old Hunters was $19.99. The base game just got a universal price drop from Sony as well to $19.99. Almost positive it's just for base game and not the Old Hunters dlc though.

Gbraga

Shit story. Shitty loot till I beat the final boss. Lovely, just lovely lovely weapon.

I posted almost the full fight on the official thread on gaming community for anyone interested.

:(

Milijango

If Laurence doesn't count the optional boss in this DLC definitely doesn't count either.

convo

I leave that up to the people who will have chewed through all that in a week. I got spoiled on one item description and was rather surprised, who knows what discussions gonna be like.
Do you know what the other arenas for the pvp mode are?

MCD

I leave that up to the people who will have chewed through all that in a week. I got spoiled on one item description and was rather surprised, who knows what discussions gonna be like.
Do you know what the other arenas for the pvp mode are?

Wiah I could answer. Don't care about pvp.

preta

How many NG cycles should I go through to make the DLC appropriately difficult at level 120? I don't exactly want to play through from scratch to get to the recommended 80. Or would I be better off just reallocating 40 levels to deliberately create a sub-optimal build?

Alo0oy

Banned
How many NG cycles should I go through to make the DLC appropriately difficult at level 120? I don't exactly want to play through from scratch to get to the recommended 80. Or would I be better off just reallocating 40 levels to deliberately create a sub-optimal build?

Wear the Calamity Ring.

Man, if you ever get the chance, play it. Bloodborne was thereason I got a ps4, incredible game though GAF over hyped it to hell and back daily as if it was the second coming of Jesus Christ. But that game and the Witcher 3 made me fall in love with gaming again
which made me broke

Replaying Bloodborne for the fourth time would be more interesting to me than the second coming of Jesus Christ.

q8PmC7ppZpwMU.gif
N

Not too fussed I lost my DS3 save now.

burgerdog

Dark Souls has had its time, really getting worn out now, and this is coming from someone who loved the franchise more than any other, 3 is at the point where the series is starting to go stale.

I could play a new dark souls every year as long as they stay consistently good.

Alo0oy

Banned
I could play a new dark souls every year as long as they stay consistently good.

Yup, even Dark Souls 2 is better than 95% of the games released every year. We give DS2 a lot of shit, but it's still an amazing game, it's just not a masterpiece compared to the other ones.

Why is it that everyone who gets to play early doesn't give a shit about it? >_<

Shulva for life.
Wouldn't say it's shit, but there really isn't much there, but again it's apparently continued in the next DLC somewhat. I wouldn't really know how to rate it, but I also haven't played it myself so there's probably a lot of it that I'm still missing. I think it had some interesting parts and ideas. But it's no Old Hunters or Artorias of the Abyss, but it adds some context to some stuff in the main game, particularly the Corvians.

Gbraga

Wouldn't say it's shit, but there really isn't much there, but again it's apparently continued in the next DLC somewhat. I wouldn't really know how to rate it, but I also haven't played it myself so there's probably a lot of it that I'm still missing. I think it had some interesting parts and ideas. But it's no Old Hunters or Artorias of the Abyss, but it adds some context to some stuff in the main game, particularly the Corvians.

I really wish they combined them and made a single DLC again.

Or at least released them closer to each other, so they'd come together as a whole product. "To be continued" isn't so great when we have to wait so damn long for the next part.

I really wish they combined them and made a single DLC again.

Or at least released them closer to each other, so they'd come together as a whole product. "To be continued" isn't so great when we have to wait so damn long for the next part.
I feel you man, but it's no big deal to me, I've got other stuff to play and life stuff to attend to so I might just wait. I'm not really craving for more dark souls anyway.

convo

Crow Quills
and the enemy who wield it is probablly the coolest moveset i've seen so far. And it's not even a boss weapon.
Dark Souls fatigue will hamper one's enthusiasm anyway. Some people would look at the old hunters dlc with disgust even, didn't matter how much of it there is.
I had so much DS1 knowledge stored up that that i flushed it out of my mind and replaced it with studies, helped me not to get too sick of it.

I recently lost my DS3 save in a hard drive format, what do I need to do to build back up for the DLC? It seems I only have to get as far as
Cathedral
to get in, but what about levels? Am I good to get in at any level, or is the DLC meant more for characters who have finished the game?

Milijango

I recently lost my DS3 save in a hard drive format, what do I need to do to build back up for the DLC? It seems I only have to get as far as
Cathedral
to get in, but what about levels? Am I good to get in at any level, or is the DLC meant more for characters who have finished the game?

The recommended level for this DLC, as with all DLCs, is ~70, give or take 20 depending on how much of a challenge you're after (or how many hours you've spent in this series).

It doesn't scale to your level and increases in difficulty in higher NG+ cycles.

Kieli

I can eat some burgers 'n fries for ~15 CAD in 20 minutes, or I can enjoy some Dank Souls for 3 hours for 15 CAD.

In for the new weapons and armour mainly, i still haven't been able to settle on a weapon for the third slot so hopefully one in the DLC can take it, especially now they're nerfing the Gotthard twinswords.

Is there only one new miracle in this? I know about the
Boomerang rings
, is there anymore?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why do I get the feeling that the two Dark Souls III DLCs will end up being very lopsided, with most of the content in the second one as a finale. They really pushed the season pass and seem to consider both DLCs the complete expansion rather than each one standing on its own like the DS2 DLCs could.

Or maybe developing The Old Hunters was better for them and going back to split content doesn't work.

DMONKUMA

Well I mean I expect this reception after playing the core game. Sooo nothing new
Will wait for second dlc like everyone else.

Haroon

It doesn't scale to your level and increases in difficulty in higher NG+ cycles.

Well, I am fucked. I have not played the game in such a long time... Does anyone here have information on what sword is the best now? I have Dark Sword, but I am sure it probably got nerfed.

Milijango

Well, I am fucked. I have not played the game in such a long time... Does anyone here have information on what sword is the best now? I have Dark Sword, but I am sure it probably got nerfed.

I got a lot of mileage out of the Lothric Knight Straightsword. The 2H R2 is a thrust which at the very least puts it at above average for its class. Many other weapon classes have seen improvements to speed and reach, however, so they could be viable alternatives. It's hard to say.

Kai Dracon said:
Why do I get the feeling that the two Dark Souls III DLCs will end up being very lopsided, with most of the content in the second one as a finale. They really pushed the season pass and seem to consider both DLCs the complete expansion rather than each one standing on its own like the DS2 DLCs could.

Or maybe developing The Old Hunters was better for them and going back to split content doesn't work.

Given the price of the season pass the second DLC is probably also going to be $15 (the season pass is $25), so I'd be surprised if it was that much more substantial unless they thought the PvP components of this one would justify its brevity. Miyazaki's statement that the two DLCs would together match Artorias' size also supports the notion that it won't be too big.

Haroon

I got a lot of mileage out of the Lothric Knight Straightsword. The 2H R2 is a thrust which at the very least puts it at above average for its class. Many other weapon classes have seen improvements to speed and reach, however, so they could be viable alternatives. It's hard to say.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot when I venture into the DLC.

MCD

Dark sword still beastly. Don't worry about it.

fast_taker

i played for 1-2 hours last night on X1.
Things i don't like is the new area which looks vast and confusing and the snowy environment which is very boring imo

It keeps being ignored but I really think the Arena PvP was a lot of work for them and probably took up some resources. I am happy as hell it's in there but now that it's in place the next DLC probably will be bigger.

Shulva for life.

I can PM anyone about story, but its hard to talk about without spoiling.
But the reviewer who said it focuses on the story of dark souls 1, doesnt know shit.

If Laurence doesn't count the optional boss in this DLC definitely doesn't count either.

Lawerence is 90% reskin.
The optional boss in AoA is just a bunch of done before ideas meshed together.

Have the people saying Laurence is a reskin even fought him? The second and third phases of his fight are 100% new.

Comparing him to blue smelter or two cats is criminal.

UrbanRats

Have the people saying Laurence is a reskin even fought him? The second and third phases of his fight are 100% new.

Comparing him to blue smelter or two cats is criminal.
Still lazy bullshit to use the model of Cleric to represent the most important character in the story.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly kind of relieved that its on the short side as I want to play through it before getting spoiled, but I'm in the middle of moving and sucked into other games like Civ 6 and Forza 3 and Gears 4.

cheesekao

But the reviewer who said it focuses on the story of dark souls 1, doesnt know shit.

Lawerence is 90% reskin.
Eh, I'd say 50 percent. He has like 5 new moves in his second phase and even a couple in his first phase.

Gbraga

I know there is at least one item on Sulyvahn, do we get anything about Aldrich too? It's unlikely, but I just really love the character, haha.

By the way, I watched Aris fighting the boss, and since we get new info about the corvians, is it implied that this Sister Friede is the mistress of the Painted World who wields a scythe, mentioned in the Great Corvian Scythe description? I always thought it was Priscilla, but seeing that boss and knowing that the Painted World of Ariandel talks about the Corvians...

How hard is the main boss in this DLC compared to stuff like Ludwig, Orphan and Fume Knight for you?

Its the hardest boss in the series to learn, thats for sure.

It has alot of direct nods to challenger runners "you can't do that shit anymore".
For example:
See how in this fight, i just walk round the backflip, to make sure i position right for a backstab.
https://youtu.be/VYLvwkgvFfo?t=3m20s
Well this boss has a nasty tricks up it sleeve to prevent that, if you try it, its got very clever AI tbh.

Milijango

Lawerence is 90% reskin.

It's an NPC with no unique moves and an upscaled (not even a new model) regular enemy with ~5 new moves which are very derivative of Vordt and the Sulyvahn Beasts.
Laurence had at least 12 moves added, which is about as many moves as Artorias had total. If you don't like him that's fine, but to say that the Ariandel optional boss had more effort put into it is unreasonable.

Top Bottom