• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
aAVCKDp.png

The story of Dark Souls III

As fires fade and the world falls into ruin, journey into a universe filled with more colossal enemies and environments. Players will be immersed into a world of epic atmosphere and darkness through faster gameplay and amplified combat intensity. Fans and newcomers alike will get lost in the game hallmark rewarding gameplay and immersive graphics.

Now only embers remain… Prepare yourself once more and Embrace The Darkness!
8VRSpb3.png

RdBtQb5.png

If you're visiting this |OT|, chances are that you've bought the Japanese version of the game. This version is fully in Japanese, which might come as a problem for most importers. For this reason, a subredit community called DarkSouls3JPN has been created and will greatly help you with the translation of the game. Other mediums of help should be available in this very thread, along with other various sites such as IGN and Gamespot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/

Qn0PoSH.png

Stat Explanation

Cuajpcg.jpg
- This is the player's current Level. It will increase when leveling any stat.

9FV4i6p.jpg
- Strength controls the player's Attack for weapons that scale with Strength and adds fire resistance.

wUQUqoP.jpg
- Dexterity controls the player's Attack Power for weapons that scale with Dexterity, increases casting speed for most spells and reduces damage from falling.

ORwAI1o.jpg
- Vigor determines the amount of health or hit-points that your character has

5rf00Y3.png
- Intelligence is required to cast certain sorceries and pyromancies. On top of this, the stat also also increases your Magic Defense.

x63MQf5.jpg
- Attunement determines the number of attunement slots or amount of spells you can carry at the same time. It also determines your Focus Points (mana).

bgIx9xz.jpg
- Endurance controls the player's Stamina.

yUxOx4r.jpg
- Faith is required to cast miracles and pyromancies. Also boosts Dark Defense.

aunpPqt.jpg
- Vitality determines your character's equipment load and poison resistance. Also increases physical defense.

DBMXVeg.jpg
- Luck is back from Demon's Souls and it's better than ever; increasing the chance of getting rare (or greater) loot from the enemies. On top of that, it also increases your Bleed, Poison and Curse resistances.
VRUD1QS.png

YUawmuP.png

Movement and Camera Control
Left stick: Move character
Right stick: Move camera
R3 button: Lock on/camera reset

Touch pad button
(Left) Open Gesture Menu
(Right) Open Start Menu

Options button
Open Start Menu

Right-Hand Actions
R1 button Attack with right-hand weapon
R2 button Strong attack with right-hand

Left-hand Actions
L1 button: Guard (when shield equipped)
L2 button: Use battle skill
Use magic (when sorcerer's staff or talisman equipped)

WtIovoB.png

Using Battle Skills

The newest addition to Dark Souls III is the ability to use unique battle skills that significantly changes the dynamic of the combat. These are called battle skills which consume the mana of your character. To do the following technique, you need to:

⃝ Equip the weapon of choice in your right hand to dual-hand mode (△ or Y-button)
⃝ Whilst wielding a weapon with two hands, press the L2 or LT-button to activate the battle skill
Dedicated Servers

Just like Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls III will support up to six players in online multiplayer, but this time around there will be dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer connections. For the end user that basically means that connections will be smoother and there should be fewer issues joining games (Prime Games).
Enraged Bosses

It comes of as no surprise when bosses in previous Souls games transition from one phase to another - gaining a wide variety of different move sets. In Dark Souls III, they want the unpredictability and shake-up in routine to every boss. Some bosses might even have multiple phases and some bosses will force the player to engage in different environments.

4HPh0z0.png

RCIwTZk.png

4R8GG4a.png

T3Nd7GE.png

As2rGx9.png

to FromSoftware for creating one of the most thrilling gaming experiences
to Souls-GAF for further encouraging my enthusiasm towards this series
to my wonderful girlfriend, who has been supporting and helping me with this thread
to darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com for providing tons of valuable information
to primagames.com and polygon.com for some articles that gave me facts regarding some specific gameplay related things

0GRHPgl.png

GrayChild

Gold Member
I'll be day 1 when the EU version arrives, but good job on the thread and I look forward to watching your stream, Yoshi.

Kanann

Not so sure about one last time, because Bandai namco.

But I'm sure just 2 sleep from now It'll be ready to play.

Umbasa

Dedicated Servers

Just like Scholar of the First Sin, Dark Souls III will support up to six players in online multiplayer, but this time around there will be dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer connections. For the end user that basically means that connections will be smoother and there should be fewer issues joining games (Prime Games).

WHAT! Actual dedicated servers for everything or dedicated matchmaking servers that lead to p2p connections? There was confusion about this in DS2 because they only ended up being matchmaking servers.

Great OT came in here to see it now getting the hell out!

I'm going to be on vacation for the next week, otherwise I'd have been pretty tempted to import this. Can't wait to see impressions.

Is playing these games in Japanese fun, or does it ruin the experience? You might be able to get that "poorly translated story" feel even better, yeah?

Wagram

After several hours of play. I need one of you Dark Souled Turkeys to PM me with how the PS4 performance is. I will probably not check back in the thread because well...spoilers.

P.S. any confirmation of a Covenant of Champions would be nice as well. ciao.

Azzanadra

Can't wait for more info (and mishaps videos?!) on the bosses, for some reason that's my favorite part of looking forward to Souls games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is playing these games in Japanese fun, or does it ruin the experience? You might be able to get that "poorly translated story" feel even better, yeah?
I am personally playing this version purely for the gameplay and because HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHY DID THEY MAKE US WAIT TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

I am personally playing this version purely for the gameplay and because HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHY DID THEY MAKE US WAIT TWO FUCKING WEEKS.
Yeah, I think I might want to see some gameplay first though. Like Dark a Souls would be fun to just read environmental clues and completely guess on everything I think, but Dark Souls II would be a chore since everything's so empty you know?

Yoshichan

Yoshi I think you forgot INT in the stat rundown in OP
Good eye, it's now fixed! Thanks a bunch :)!
Meanwhile streamers get the English PC version tomorrow...

Nice marketing Bamco.
Aaah, the classic streamer advantage of todays internet :3

Fhtagn

Extra glad I'm importing now that it's clear people will be streaming in English. I can always go watch what I've already played if I want more clarity.

Excellent OT, yoshichan!

Has anyone run the numbers on the stat counts? Do they add up to the same total? (I'll try this in a moment.)

Going Deprived for my first run.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
As per usual, doing my first run as a Strength Knight.

Undecided whether I'll go magic or pyromancy as my secondary attack method.

Mifec

Extra glad I'm importing now that it's clear people will be streaming in English. I can always go watch what I've already played if I want more clarity.

Excellent OT, yoshichan!

Has anyone run the numbers on the stat counts? Do they add up to the same total? (I'll try this in a moment.)

Going Deprived for my first run.

Deprived has too much luck for my liking, seems like Knight is the best if you don't wanna invest into luck :3

Hypron

Can't wait for it to come out!

It comes out Thursday morning 5am where I live... I might only get 1 or 2 hours of gameplay before going to uni that day sadly.

Bento

Bah, kinda bummed about the Deprived class :( Really liked 6's across the board that they had in DS2, made for a really nice first character that could do everything pretty well, allowed me to get maximum use out of the respec feature. Oh well, I'll probably still roll as one since it's tradition at this point >_<

TitusTroy

I want to avoid spoilers so can someone whos playing the Japanese version make some general non-spoiler-ish comments about the gameplay, difficulty etc

Yep already got my game downloaded, just waiting for it to unlock Wednesday. Thinking about going Deprived, but I also love the Herald, but the Thief comes with a bow and bows look really rad in this game, but then also look at that fantastic turtle shell Cleric. CHOICES! I'm going to be doing a lot of playthroughs of this game.

Manus

Got my PS4 version downloaded and ready to go! Also have Thursday and Friday off so I'm not leaving the house at all.

Mifec

LOL, some of them have already received the game on Steam and have started playing off-stream. So jealous!

I'm thinking of fucking off to Barcelona after Easter to pass the time rofl. Not like I got anything better to do.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
To watch a stream like I desperately want to, or to stay completely virgin to the whole experience since I haven't even watched footage yet..........................

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-loaded and ready to go. I've mostly managed to stay in blackout mode this time around, so I'm extremely excited!

Hoping I'll be able to finish my first playthrough on PS4 in time for the PC version!

Reading the OP: which stat affects weight/carry load/fat roll status?

Top Bottom