• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Raptor

Blade of the Darkmoon
Aldrich Faithful

Done, now the Mound-makers will be a feraking pain in the ass, maybe Ill tell a friend of he can help me and let himself get killed by me 30 times or something, for the Darkmoon it was like a week of farming playing a couple of hours a day with a Item Discovery of 423, shit was insane.

But I went game+ now, killed Gundyr and Vordt, this build I have is OP as all shit god damn.

Cat Party

Blade of the Darkmoon
Aldrich Faithful

Done, now the Mound-makers will be a feraking pain in the ass, maybe Ill tell a friend of he can help me and let himself get killed by me 30 times or something, for the Darkmoon it was like a week of farming playing a couple of hours a day with a Item Discovery of 423, shit was insane.

But I went game+ now, killed Gundyr and Vordt, this build I have is OP as all shit god damn.
What system are you on?

NinjaBoiX

Blade of the Darkmoon
Aldrich Faithful

I will never understand this level of dedication to a game just to tick off a trophy checklist. You probably grinded for that one trophy for as long as I played entirely!

I play until I'm bored and then stop, ain't got time in the day for that shit.

Hell, how do you get life done?

Soar

I will never understand this level of dedication to a game just to tick off a trophy checklist. You probably grinded for that one trophy for as long as I played entirely!

It's just a hobby like any other. You can spend the same amount of time golfing, fishing or playing an instrument for example.

Raptor

What system are you on?

Im on PS4 :)

This is my stress reliever hobby basically, I enjoy 100% the games if I liked them specially this ones, I Platinumed Bloodborne too, but I do get bored after a while thats why I might boost this last one covenant items.

I also play only at nights when all life stuff is done, like from 10-12 pm.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

So much this.

It's just a hobby like any other. You can spend the same amount of time golfing, fishing or playing an instrument for example.
Most people who do that, do those things because they enjoy them. Here, it's all complaining about how tedious and boring this Proof of Concord etc. farming is.

Personally, I think if you dedicate several hours of your life to doing something boring and tedious, eh...

Raptor

Hey what people do with their gaming time is personal preference, I dont say to you shit for leaving 40% of what the game offers undone am I?

Cat Party

So much this.

Most people who do that, do those things because they enjoy them. Here, it's all complaining about how tedious and boring this Proof of Concord etc. farming is.

Personally, I think if you dedicate several hours of your life to doing something boring and tedious, eh...
I don't think any of us are in a position to pass judgment on how other choose to spend their gaming time. It's all just games at the end of the day. Many people find enjoyment in things that others find mundane. There is still a sense of accomplishment to be had from doing something in a game that very few people have done.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think any of us are in a position to pass judgment on how other choose to spend their gaming time. It's all just games at the end of the day. Many people find enjoyment in things that others find mundane. There is still a sense of accomplishment to be had from doing something in a game that very few people have done.

If they legit enjoy it, then cool. But I'm specifically referring to the people complaining. I don't know how I could have made this clearer.

And hell yeah, I will judge people who spend countless hours going out of their way to do things they don't even enjoy (and complain about).

Cat Party

If they legit enjoy it, then cool. But I'm specifically referring to the people complaining. I don't know how I could have made this clearer.

And hell yeah, I will judge people who spend countless hours going out of their way to do things they don't even enjoy (and complain about).
If getting all the trophies/achievements for a game is something you enjoy, it might be worth it to do some tasks you don't enjoy along the way. No different than grinding for XP in a game, really.

62CjMXP.jpg

This game is the best.

About griefers vs a good fight - The way PvP was specifically set up in Souls from the very beginning is that it happens within the framework of the PvE game. So if I'm right in thinking what griefing means, PvP in Souls is purposefully all about griefing - You're playing through the game and get invaded and it's an 'oh shit!' moment because you're probably hoping to clear the immediate area of enemies before the invader arrives and takes advantage of the situation.

It's only with the DS1 DLC that they introduced a standalone PvP arena, probably because they saw the popularity of duels and fight club situations players had created themselves.
Everyone plays the game the way they like - I have no problem with invaders running in to mobs and trying to get a 'cheap' win that way - if it's allowable in the game it's fair game as far as I'm concerned. I've always loved to play cat and mouse with invaders and use anything I can to fuck with them, turn the tables on them and ruin their parade, so my favourite pvp areas are ones with environmental things I can use to my advantage - Sen's, Catacombs, Anor Londo, Parish in DS1 for example - personally I'm not interested in duels and 'fair' fights, that's what fight clubs and PvP arenas are for - PvP in the main game (invasions) was originally set up to be unfair by design, and I'm cool with that.

You're not wrong - PvP in Dark Souls is indeed designed to encourage griefing.

NinjaBoiX

Hey what people do with their gaming time is personal preference, I dont say to you shit for leaving 40% of what the game offers undone am I?
I don't think anyone is "giving you shit", but by your own admission completing these banal, tedious tasks is just a chore. And for what, so you get a little pat-on-the-head notification pop up?

I just don't get why you would purposely do something that you don't enjoy when the reward is little more than a ticked box next to some text on a list. It's an alien concept to me.

"Is this fun? No? OK, let's do something that is."

But to each their own.

Raptor

I don't think anyone is "giving you shit", but by your own admission completing these banal, tedious tasks is just a chore. And for what, so you get a little pat-on-the-head notification pop up?

I just don't get why you would purposely do something that you don't enjoy when the reward is little more than a ticked box next to some text on a list. It's an alien concept to me.

"Is this fun? No? OK, let's do something that is."

But to each their own.

The end goal is what matters when I do this in any game from teh start of times.

I dont know how hard to comprehend is this, if you guys dont like it thats awesome, for me if I love a game I will get everything the game has to offer even if I do some tedious stuff like farming.

never thought by saying "this farming is a little tedious" would get this kind of responses seriously.

Ferr986

Man, there's a lot of unused music in this game from what I'm seeing. And some good stuff too! There's some slower tracks that would give the OST more variety

Soar

The boss music in this game is done amazingly well. Love the Dancer fight for this reason.

Regarding the messages, every single instance there is a corpse hanging over a railing, there will be that "but hole" note. I'll admit I do laugh...

Finally been able to play Bloodborne. The lore and world are pretty crazy, but I prefer the environment variety in Dark Souls III. Not really something something usually attributed to Dark Souls III, but Bloodborne is basically town, forest, church.

Coming back to Dark Souls though, fighting multiple enemies was way more manageable in Bloodborne. Better backstep and dodge R1's, better R2's, and Bloodborne enemies (surprisingly) are less aggressive than III's.

Finally been able to play Bloodborne. The lore and world are pretty crazy, but I prefer the environment variety in Dark Souls III. Not really something something usually attributed to Dark Souls III, but Bloodborne is basically town, forest, church.

Coming back to Dark Souls though, fighting multiple enemies was way more manageable in Bloodborne. Better backstep and dodge R1's, better R2's, and Bloodborne enemies (surprisingly) are less aggressive than III's.

Not the thread for this but Bloodborne is my 2nd best Souls game (after Demon's) and the only two cons of the game - the ONLY two existing - are:

- lack of environment variety - as you said: town, castle, forest, castle, castle etc.
- lack of weapon variety vs Souls series

DS3 rocked my socks off, though. Best Dark Souls game!!!

Raptor

Second Ending down, going for the third on my new game +++

Still need the rings and Pyromancies since one Pyro is tied to Vertebra Shackles and I havent farmed those nor being able to being summoned to farm them with a friend.

Maybe 5 more hours and the Plat will be mine.

Soar

Not the thread for this but Bloodborne is my 2nd best Souls game (after Demon's) and the only two cons of the game - the ONLY two existing - are:

- lack of environment variety - as you said: town, castle, forest, castle, castle etc.
- lack of weapon variety vs Souls series

DS3 rocked my socks off, though. Best Dark Souls game!!!

Same here, I love how varied the gear can be and it's quite amusing to me that at every boss I've killed so far I look quite different. Some might hate the threshold system for gear weight but I love it to customise just every difficult encounter or for farming, like a mini unto itself.

Soar

So I managed to solo the last boss, and decided to try out AoA...

What a mistake. It seems like they made things difficult just for the sake of it. I mean, arrows that knock + very narrow ledges and walkways is just an exercise in frustration. Also it seems that the camera really suffers in those environments as well. There were so many times when I tried to lock onto an enemy right in front of me I did a 180 and offered my ass to be chewed.

I hope the next dlc is better designed.

Ferr986

So I managed to solo the last boss, and decided to try out AoA...

What a mistake. It seems like they made things difficult just for the sake of it. I mean, arrows that knock + very narrow ledges and walkways is just an exercise in frustration. Also it seems that the camera really suffers in those environments as well. There were so many times when I tried to lock onto an enemy right in front of me I did a 180 and offered my ass to be chewed.

I hope the next dlc is better designed.

TRC is way more dificult than AoA IMO lol

Soar

TRC is way more dificult than AoA IMO lol

Just tried it and got to the Demon Prince, it's less frustrating but I can see the ramp up in difficulty.

The enemies in Ringed City are pretty strong, but the areas are more straightforward rather than massive open areas + ganking that composes the entire first half of Ashes.

That's good to know. I finally got to Friede but could not get past her third phase solo, she's crazy fast and the invisible gank move is quite annoying. Great fight though.

Ethelwulf

Hi DS GAF,
Could anyone confirm if my vanilla ps4 save would work on a FF edition disc? Internet says yes, but I just wanted to make sure if someone on GAF did this before.
See you on the ringed city!

Edit: I can confirm that it works! Just make sure to save with the latest patch before switching discs.

.Anema

Hi DS GAF,
Could anyone confirm if my vanilla ps4 save would work on a FF edition disc? Internet says yes, but I just wanted to make sure if someone on GAF did this before.
See you on the ringed city!

Edit: I can confirm that it works! Just make sure to save with the latest patch before switching discs.

Can you play the old version with the same save file?

About trophies, they are the same for the system? Or the system takes this edition as a new game besides the original version?

Also, if anyone wants to coop for fun, help or trophies feel free to add me. PSN ID "Coiii"

Mazumdar

Neo Member
So i just picked up my first Dark souls game (DS3). Any tips for a beginner?
I am quite excited
-Try to heal only when you've made good distance from your enemies. It gets frustrating when you try to heal and only end up getting attacked again.

-Don't get greedy in combat,particularly against bosses. Meaning don't go for an extra hit when it seems obvious that you'll get hit in return. Back up and then attack when it's safe again.

-Don't panic when you lose all your souls. Souls can easily be gotten again.

-If you ever feel like you're dealing too little damage,know that upgrading your weapons(at the weaponsmith) will usually be more useful than grinding for souls to level up.

I am quite excited

The only thing classes do is determine your starting stats and equipment, you can level however you want and use whatever equipment you want, as long as you have the stats needed to use it.

For new players, Knight is a solid starter class because of high starting hp and good armor that you can use the whole game.

Weapons are balanced to have pros and cons, so don't worry about getting better weapons, instead upgrade the ones you like.

EasyMode

I am quite excited

Knight is a good beginner class, and I'd recommend the Life Ring as your Burial Gift.

Stat-wise, you can't go wrong with leveling Vigor and Endurance early on, as they will increase your HP and Stamina respectively.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ I am shocked, all good tips so far! :)

Rule #1 of all Souls games shall always be, "don't get greedy", so I'll reiterate that one.

Watch your stamina bar at all times. If you button mash a combo against an enemy with a lot of HP (in that, the combo won't immediately kill them), always leave some stamina leftover for dodging or blocking their counter-attack.

You are invincible during the backstab and riposte animations, so abuse those as you see fit.

I'll also add that retreating if you get overwhelmed can be a viable strategy, as enemy aggro range is usually weak and few enemies will chase you for that long. It's not always guaranteed to save you, but it can help in some "oh shit!!" situations.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The end goal is what matters when I do this in any game from teh start of times.

I dont know how hard to comprehend is this, if you guys dont like it thats awesome, for me if I love a game I will get everything the game has to offer even if I do some tedious stuff like farming.

never thought by saying "this farming is a little tedious" would get this kind of responses seriously.

Just wanted to pop in and say you do you and if other people don't get it then simply ignore them. I could never spend hours grinding mundane activities to get an achievement but if it makes you happy then who am I to judge?

Raptor

I am quite excited

Dont feel bad if you find it too damn hard at first, I think the first time I started this I thought I was pure crap at games cause a single normal enemy gave me troubles, some are really aggressive and relentles in their attacks, so keep at it, learn their oppenings, and level Vigor at first till you fele comfortable then pump in your prefered stat being STR, DEX or the casters and magic.

Jumped into my NG+3 game over the weekend to mess around. I apparently left off right after beating Pontiff. Put on Way of Blue and activated Dried Finger and was pleasantly surprised at the number of people still actively invading that area. Sadly, it seems they never optimized the Darkmoon Blade summoning though, since it still took way too long for a bluebro to show up.

I summoned a sunbro to help with Aldrich and the poor guy got wasted halfway through. These NG+3 bosses hit like a goddamn truck. Thankfully I was able to finish him off myself. After that I went and respecced to a sorcerer because it's my favorite build for helping people as a sunbro. The only bad thing is now I'm in the jail area, which definitely gets more tedious with every playthrough.

Raptor

Jumped into my NG+3 game over the weekend to mess around. I apparently left off right after beating Pontiff. Put on Way of Blue and activated Dried Finger and was pleasantly surprised at the number of people still actively invading that area. Sadly, it seems they never optimized the Darkmoon Blade summoning though, since it still took way too long for a bluebro to show up.

I summoned a sunbro to help with Aldrich and the poor guy got wasted halfway through. These NG+3 bosses hit like a goddamn truck. Thankfully I was able to finish him off myself. After that I went and respecced to a sorcerer because it's my favorite build for helping people as a sunbro. The only bad thing is now I'm in the jail area, which definitely gets more tedious with every playthrough.

I just ran through it like a madman and bypassed everything my way to profaned capital and to the dungeon.

Ethelwulf

Can you play the old version with the same save file?

About trophies, they are the same for the system? Or the system takes this edition as a new game besides the original version?

Also, if anyone wants to coop for fun, help or trophies feel free to add me. PSN ID "Coiii"

1. You can.
2.Trophies carry over.
3. I will thank you :)

Elfstar

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this topic and i have a really strange request.

I just deleted my DS3 savefile in a ridiculous, extremely dumb way, and now i don't know what to do.

Can i retrieve somewhere a savefile with even a random build in order to just being able to play through the second DLC?

DemWalls

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this topic and i have a really strange request.

I just deleted my DS3 savefile in a ridiculous, extremely dumb way, and now i don't know what to do.

Can i retrieve somewhere a savefile with even a random build in order to just being able to play through the second DLC?

On PC, I guess? I have quite a few. I think level should be around 140. Is it ok or a bit too much?

dohdough

I just ran through it like a madman and bypassed everything my way to profaned capital and to the dungeon.

Thanks to you and Redbox, I decided to go for the platinum. Farming for Dark moon blade was the worst because I didn't think to re-spec, but after I did, everything came relatively quick, especially tongues and grass. Vertebra sucked for the first 20, but the last 10 showed up in less than an hour.

I'm going to clean up NG and NG+ rings and then move to NG++ to get a couple gestures I missed and buy spells from the dude in the swamp.

Top Bottom