• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Well i was more referring to people with the same level of experience/skill as me, most bosses in the series dont actually require any "skill".

On normal playthroughs i'd consider the following bosses hard
ds1: O&S, manus,Artorias
ds2: darklurker, fume knight
ds3: NK
BB: watchdog,kos, ludwig,Ebi
, they either require good positional awareness or precise timing of dodging.

and i think 95% is too high an estimate, we are 5 games deep in this now boss should be fairly smooth learning experiences for most people.
What's the difference between "positional awareness and precise timing" and skill?

seems like a random list of bosses to me really. Not "the only bosses that are hard"

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Buy the tower key for 20,000. Get the gatekeeper soul. Give it to gatekeeper to be cured. Or, buy purging stones. A new nocturnal Will join that ugly rock sorcerer in the same location. Purging stones cleanse you of the hallowing temporarily. Or equip a ring which masks the allowing appearance.

Nice! Thanks for the tips man. I actually just bought the tower key and got most of the items from it. I wasn't sure what to do with the soul I got at the very top though. Should I save it or is it specifically something i would use just to get rid of the hollowing effect?

Veelk

Banned
Quick Question that involves some minor spoilers:
Does defeating the boss at Farron Keep trigger the first 'event'? The same way in Bloodborne, beating Amelia triggers the sun to go down?

Ferr986

siiiigh, the C
athedral of Deep
have an ambush from a hidden enemy every two steps. It's getting old! Level is awesome tho.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
im sure you are great at the game, but everytime people say shit like that I struggled not to roll my eyes into the back of my skull

no that isnt the only hard boss in the game. There are many hard bosses. 95% of the people playing the game will have a hard time with it for awhile. Just becaue you in particular (and others im sure) are amazing at these games doesnt mean they arent in fact hard. Hell you could have the hardest game ever made and im sure one person would be fine with it, that wouldnt make it any less hard

I feel you but it's all relative, you know? When we talk about hard bosses, we're talking by series standards, bosses that even on repeat playthroughs can prove a significant challenge because they require high execution skill. So by those standards I think GwyndolinCinder's list is pretty much on point. We can say "oh well almost all bosses are hard" but then what are we even saying. By series standards, I'd agree that NK and maybe the last boss of the game are the only truly hard bosses, and even then they're nowhere near the hardest bosses in the series.

KingKong

You can't design a boss that's truly 'difficult' without either giving them random attack patterns or making them a human.

Once you figure out their attacks and patterns it's just a matter of execution and not overextending. The 'hard' bosses you mention are about not making a mistake because they deal so much damage when you do. Its not like you can outaim or outsmart them like in a multiplayer game

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm a Dark Souls 1 veteran and I hated Dark Souls II. So tell it to me straight: what am I doing wrong?

HSScSxo.jpg

I want to make a light-ish melee warrior that uses pyromancy to cheese enem-, I mean, support my physical attacks. I got an Uchigatana and pumped my DEX to 16... but immediately afterwards I got a Claymore, which was amazing in previous games. Problem is, it needs 16 STR. What should I do? Where I should I go? Should I get both STR and DEX to 16 and then pump Faith and INT to boost my pyromancies? What would be the sweetspot for life and stamina?

(Or, rather, should I scrap this character and start from scratch?).

Oh fuck me, I used some of those free level up's from...
hell I can't remember his name, but you save him once you get to the outer wall and he ends up back at Fireshrine. I used like 5 free level ups, and now I've got some sort of hollowing effect going on. My dudes face looks like burnt flesh. Is this going to effect my guy at all aside from his face being fucked? I mean I can deal with the cosmetic issue if that's all it is

It takes away summons as well. You can't summon anyone the natural way after a certain amount of hollow. I am sure it does other stuff too.

vocab

Went to some balcony. Fell through the floor, fell through 3 more floors. Fell to my death my body is now outofbounds in an unreachable spot. Now stuck in an infinite loading screen 10 tool tips later. Ya, alt+f4.

:slowclap:

Fhtagn

Well i was more referring to people with the same level of experience/skill as me, most bosses in the series dont actually require any "skill".

On normal playthroughs i'd consider the following bosses hard
ds1: O&S, manus,Artorias
ds2: darklurker, fume knight
ds3: NK
BB: watchdog,kos, ludwig,Ebi
, they either require good positional awareness or precise timing of dodging.

and i think 95% is too high an estimate, we are 5 games deep in this now boss should be fairly smooth learning experiences for most people.

uh, ok, I'm pretty good at these games, but there is way more than one hard boss in DS3.

I know you run SL1 characters and I don't, so maybe you just run circles around me, but I'd absolutely put PS, CG and 2P on the hard list for DS3 and the Final boss is v. hard if you want to be stylish and not use a lot of flasks. They were easily as hard as O&S or Artorias, though not as hard as Fume Knight. But if Fume Knight is the standard, there's no hard bosses in DS1 other than Manus, if that.

Positional awareness: Knowing where's safe to stand and where you want to stand.
For example dancer, there's a specific distance where you can bait out beneficial(Safely punishable) attacks, you can punish these attacks by rolling either left or right depending on the attack...however you also have to be careful where in the room the fight is taking place, can you safely roll back to avoid spins/swipe etc.

By precise timings, i'm referring to when bosses have delayed attacks or combo attacks and rolling at a certain time during the attacks animation is required.

ok, so all of the bosses I mention require precise timing for rolls, have delayed attacks, and in 2P's case are almost entirely built around spatial awareness... so I don't get why NK is the only one on your list?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It takes away summons as well. You can't summon anyone the natural way after a certain amount of hollow. I am sure it does other stuff too.

Has this been confirmed? I had
99 lvl hollow on my first character, and when the servers went online I could still summon people. As far as I know, it's just a cosmetic change.

What's the difference between "positional awareness and precise timing" and skill?

Positional awareness: Knowing where's safe to stand and where you want to stand.
For example dancer, there's a specific distance where you can bait out beneficial(Safely punishable) attacks, you can punish these attacks by rolling either left or right depending on the attack...however you also have to be careful where in the room the fight is taking place, can you safely roll back to avoid spins/swipe etc.

By precise timings, i'm referring to when bosses have delayed attacks or combo attacks and rolling at a certain time during the attacks animation is required.

uh, ok, I'm pretty good at these games, but there is way more than one hard boss in DS3.

I know you run SL1 characters and I don't, so maybe you just run circles around me, but I'd absolutely put PS, CG and 2P on the hard list for DS3 and the Final boss is v. hard if you want to be stylish and not use a lot of flasks. They were easily as hard as O&S or Artorias, though not as hard as Fume Knight. But if Fume Knight is the standard, there's no hard bosses in DS1 other than Manus, if that.

Don't get me wrong i think there are plenty of challenging bosses in ds3, CG,PS,NK,DA,dancer,LP's,SoC....I just think theres a massive difference between challenging and hard.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
You can't design a boss that's truly 'difficult' without either giving them random attack patterns or making them a human.

Once you figure out their attacks and patterns it's just a matter of execution and not overextending. The 'hard' bosses you mention are about not making a mistake because they deal so much damage when you do. Its not like you can outaim or outsmart them like in a multiplayer game

I'd say a high execution requirement constitutes "difficulty". We're only human and all make mistakes, and being on-point for an entire fight can be challenging even if you technically have all the knowledge.

Has this been confirmed? I had
99 lvl hollow on my first character, and when the servers went online I could still summon people. As far as I know, it's just a cosmetic change.

It says it in the wiki. At some point I went from seeing a million summon signs everywhere when embered to not seeing any. I can still use my sign though.

Manu

I'd defnitely put PS on the top 5 hardest bosses in the series. Because it was for me.

Neither Artorias, Manus or Fume Knight ever gave me that much trouble. I think only Orphan of Kos took me so many tries, and a friend got him on two tries.

It's the beauty of the Souls series: what's hard for someone might be easy for someone else, and viceversa.

Nice! Thanks for the tips man. I actually just bought the tower key and got most of the items from it. I wasn't sure what to do with the soul I got at the very top though. Should I save it or is it specifically something i would use just to get rid of the hollowing effect?

Give that soul to the firekeeper, shell then give you the option to cure the dark sigil hallowing. Or, you can keep the dark sigil allowing, and use purging stones to clear allowing for cosmetic purposes only. Or, pray for dissolution at The statue in the sewers in the underground sanctuary. Key required.

Keep in mind this decision will affect the story. To keep the dark sigil or not is up to you, neither is good or bad.

So in regards to armour, you get diminishing returns past armour absorption above 20 percent. So don't waste equip percentage if your absorption is already close to 20 percent.

Also, equip all armor slots with something, doesn't matter which, but something, anything.

Watch this video
https://youtu.be/2MKc9ejlUYs

2AdEPT

I can't even get past the second boss! That mother fucker just piles on through me and my summons! I'm running outta embers, man, I can't be spending that shit on you!

What's some good strats for
his second form, where he starts going apeshit?
Stay under him and to his rear as much as possible.
unfortunately this strategy breaks the game . . . be forewarned that almost all bosses are vulnerable to this strategy
https://youtu.be/daBZJ6MlOgs

Timeaisis

Being
Hollow
blows, yeah. Luckily, there is a way of getting rid of it, apparently. I'll let you guys know if it works.

Also, wtf is up with the
birds nest on top of the firelink shrine. Something is talking to me and if I use certain gestures it talks more

Edit:
Buy the tower key for 20,000. Get the gatekeeper soul. Give it to gatekeeper to be cured. Or, buy purging stones. A new nocturnal Will join that ugly rock sorcerer in the same location. Purging stones cleanse you of the hallowing temporarily. Or equip a ring which masks the allowing appearance.

Do you know if you have to
purge
before curing for it to work? I also hear it locks you out of a quest if you heal too soon.

Is any one else super displeased with the guide this time around. Theres no convant section to speak of, and the very beginning of the walk through section states they won't cover npc related things nor point out all the item locations. All the other guides were really good when it came to that sort. It's how I play these games, so I'm a little disappointed with it currently

Fhtagn

Don't get me wrong i think there are plenty of challenging bosses in ds3, CG,PS,NK,DA,dancer,LP's,SoC....I just think theres a massive difference between challenging and hard.

hmm, ok, I still don't quite get the distinction because I think Fume Knight and NK are up on another level of difficulty that O&S/Artorias etc don't come close to, on a normal run through at usual soul levels. One can easily tank Artorias with a stable shield; I was having frustrating input lag problems on ps3 last time I fought him so I had to switch to a strong shield and tank him; no such luck against Fume Knight in my experience.

But when I think of challenging/hard bosses, I think of "these are the bosses my friends who aren't gung-ho about doing the game solo are going to summon against because they have no hope..." which is a much wider net I suppose. :) Might even add a few more in there if they get used to help... DA will likely give them problems as well.

Whide

Does anyone know where I can get the Dark Sword? I already tried to find it at the place the wiki told, but can't find it.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Give that soul to the firekeeper, shell then give you the option to cure the dark sigil hallowing. Or, you can keep the dark sigil allowing, and use purging stones to clear allowing for cosmetic purposes only. Or, pray for dissolution at The statue in the sewers in the underground sanctuary. Key required.

Keep in mind this decision will affect the story. To keep the dark sigil or not is up to you, neither is good or bad.

gottcha!! thanks man!

This game is truly unlike any other RPG I've played. I've never been so ruthlessly beaten down and yet fully entertained at the same time (oh god I sound like a masochist). I can't wait for tax season to end so I can go on a full gaming binge.

To my future self, reading this thread to remember the adventure, here's a recap so far:

- 1st night: Spent over an hour in character creation. Female warrior. Was pleased with the result. Died a bunch of times in the tutorial area. Finally managed to kill the ice monster. Made it to Firelink Shrine, and finally ended at the 2nd bonfire in H
ig
h W
al
l of L
othri
c.

- 2nd night: Backtracked to Firelink Shrine because I heard there was a katana-wielding tough enemy nearby that I had missed. Died many times. FInally managed to knock him off the cliff and acquire the katana. Went back to H
ig
h W
al
l of L
othri
c and fought my way to the boss, and killed it on the 3rd try. Ended at the bonfire in U
ndea
d S
ettlemen
t.

- So last night was night #3:
Got my ass kicked in U
ndea
d S
ettlemen
t. Had my first crushing loss of souls (over 7k). Desperately searched in vain for a bonfire deeper into the level. Fought the
giant tree
boss and died. Made it to the elevator and got killed by
the enemy below
. Finally decided to backtrack to H
ig
h W
al
l of L
othri
c. I'm glad I did, because I had missed a bunch of stuff my first time through. Gained levels and upgraded items. Went back to U
ndea
d S
ettlemen
t and had a much easier time. Still having trouble fighting those fat witch ladies though. Ended the night after I finally found the bonfire near the tree
where giant arrows get shot at you

WHEW. Tonight I plan on righting the wrongs of last night. The giant
tree
is going to die. That monster under the
elevator
is gonna die.

HOLY FUCK.

This is some hardass shit. I was doing perfectly okay in Bloodborne but this shit is fucking me up. I've played 4 or so hours and I'm still at Lorthic Wall. Just got to 2nd boss, including tutorial. That fight shouldn't be too bad but I mean, it's those fucking Knights. Also, the closest fucking bonfire is so far away to the boss...

I like it though...I just don't know which weapon I want to use. I was a Ludwig Holy Blade user, and thats probably my favorite weapon in any game.

ramyeon

C
athedral of the Deep
is fantastic. Real return to form after the disappointing swamp area before it. Haven't been able to progress as much as I would like due to work and other commitments but damn am I enjoying myself. The shortcuts in the area feel really earned after significantly difficult parts - it's really well paced.

Man the C
atacombs
are really cool. One of my favorite areas so far.

That giant skeleton ball
!

Started using the G
reat
W
olf
G
reatsword
and I'll probably use it for the rest of the game.

Ogawa-san

I'm sticking with the DS2's Sinh strategy for
Nameless King
: since I'll be two-shotted no matter what, I'm going naked while trying to never miss a dodge. 20 deaths and counting.

People with heavier weapons must be having a lot of fun with that boss.

Is it me (and possibly my connection) or do really few messages and bloodstains show up? I've only seen the same handful for a while now and all the ones I'm putting down aren't getting rated (...surely because of connection issues and not the quality of my delightfully hilarious messages >____>)

Edit: lol right as I type that one of my messages got rated. Never miiiiiiind

HOLY FUCK.

This is some hardass shit. I was doing perfectly okay in Bloodborne but this shit is fucking me up. I've played 4 or so hours and I'm still at Lorthic Wall. Just got to 2nd boss, including tutorial. That fight shouldn't be too bad but I mean, it's those fucking Knights. Also, the closest fucking bonfire is so far away to the boss...

I like it though...I just don't know which weapon I want to use. I was a Ludwig Holy Blade user, and thats probably my favorite weapon in any game.
There's a shortcut that makes the boss a very short sprint past some dudes.

Dmax3901

Quick question about a mid-game (I think) bonfire:
at Yorshka's Church has anyone else found the hidden pilgrim woman there? Any idea what she's for?

Ferr986

Meh, seems like if you aren't getting dark sigil, buying the key for the Firelink Shrine is a waste. Nothing interesting other than that key item (that you cant get with the tree jump).

mxgt

Banned
Maybe I just need to GIT GUD but some of the bosses are fucking my shit up.
Pontiff Sulyvahn
mainly. That aggression.

It's a welcome change as I never really got stuck on any boss in previous games or Bloodborne, but this fucker is hard.

HOLY FUCK.

No kidding. Those knights gave me so much trouble! I had a much easier time with them after I started using 2-handed weapons instead of sword/axe + shield. Being able to stagger them made a huge difference.

Can anyone explain to me why the game settings on PC keeps changing every time I put it back on? I have that damn bonfire glitch so I keep the light setting to low but when I quit and come back the game automatically sets it to Max...

Veggy

Is any one else super displeased with the guide this time around. Theres no convant section to speak of, and the very beginning of the walk through section states they won't cover npc related things nor point out all the item locations. All the other guides were really good when it came to that sort. It's how I play these games, so I'm a little disappointed with it currently

The guide is made by Prima this time sadly

No kidding. Those knights gave me so much trouble! I had a much easier time with them after I started using 2-handed weapons instead of sword/axe + shield. Being able to stagger them made a huge difference.

Wait am I able to stagger with a Broadsword if I use it 2handed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom