• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Bl@de

First port report for the PC version of Dark Souls III:

PC graphics detailed and performance:
http://www.gamestar.de/videos/specials,20/dark-souls-3,87911.html

Article:
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/dark-souls-3/artikel/darl_souls_3,52353,3269720.html

It's german. I wrote down some quick translations.

Beat me with Kirkhammers if old :)

- Max FPS: 60fps (even with ini tweaks)
- "GTX 770 enough for 60fps in highest settings". GTX 760 offers around 40-45fps in max. settings. So take the GTX770 numbers with a grain of salt. I think you will have to turn some settings down on the GTX770 or play with 50fps average.
- No specific settings for HBAO+/MSAA/SMAA. SSAO from Low to High and AA on and off - That's it.
- Dual Core CPU is enough to start the game :/ (no comment about performance). Long loading times though.
- M+KB controls are iffy. Mouse has trouble with 4K resolution.
- Game crashed a couple of times (FROM told them that they are still optimizing).
- They use an 980 ti in the Video. 2,4 GB VRAM on max. texture settings in 1080p.#
- Uses the Bloodborne engine
- 8GB RAM more than enough

That's it. Enjoy :) And remember ... unoptimized drivers and the game is still unfinished

Vuze

" M+KB controls are iffy. Mouse has trouble with 4K resolution."

right in the OP
Actually the article says they had trouble playing the game in sub-native resolution on a 4K monitor. Not sure why the hell you would own a 4K display though if you can't run a moderately demanding title like DS3 on native res lol

Pity about the 60fps lock especially considering that higher end rigs could probably push it past that easily. But oh well.

KHlover

Banned
Only FXAA? Eww. Think I'll just DSR.
No way to disable VSynch? Eww

Also lol the game prompts you to "Press Enter" upon boot but nothing happens since "Enter" isn't bound to any action when you boot the game. You need to klick on the "Press Enter" message :D

R1CHO

Seems like good performance.

60fps at what resolution? I assume 1080, if so, for a 770gtx that's great if it's not missing anything from the ps4 version.

KHlover

Banned
Seems fine, especially performance-wise.

It's actually surprising how little hardware seems to be needed for 60 FPS, given that it's a 30 FPS game on consoles.

That's trivial to circumvent though.

NVIDIA Control Panel? Or some external tool?

Facism

It's actually surprising how little hardware seems to be needed for 60 FPS, given that it's a 30 FPS game on consoles.

That's trivial to circumvent though.

Wish I could be certain that my ancient 3.2ghz phenom 2 and gtx 660 could run this at 1080p. Would drop the ps4 version in an instant

CHC

Sounds good as usual. Don't really care about all the bells and whistles, it's not a game I go to for top of the line visuals. I just want some 60 FPS / 1440p action.

Good to know I can still stick to my 770 for a while yet! I've been starting to worry that it would age so fast I'd have to replace it in less than 2 years.

Sanctuary

- "GTX 770 enough for 60fps in highest settings". GTX 760 offers around 40-45fps in max. settings. So take the GTX770 numbers with a grain of salt. I think you will have to turn some settings down on the GTX770 or play with 50fps average.

Yeah, a huge grain of salt considering a more recent video claiming to be using a 980 was dropping down into the 50s at some points. Although I guess saying "60fps" isn't the same thing as saying a consistent 60fps. Min fps: 33, Max fps: 60!

- Uses the Bloodborne engine

That's been pretty obvious from the start, especially since they were developed in tandem anyway.

Bloodborne can work for PC confirmed! Please Bloodborne 2, I want you for PC!

Can't wait. Hopefully you can disable VSync in the production release because gsync.

Buburibon

Thanks, OP!

From what I was able to gather from the video, max settings at 1080p seem to require ~50-60% GPU load at ~1150-1190Mhz on a 980ti. So, 1440p60 on my Titan X at 1340Mhz should be doable. I was hoping for 1620p60, to be honest, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

Ferr986

Yeah, a huge grain of salt considering a more recent video claiming to be using a 980 was dropping down into the 50s at some points. Although I guess saying "60fps" isn't the same thing as saying a consistent 60fps. Min fps: 33, Max fps: 60!

Not saying this will happen, but they could still do some optimizing. PC version isn't out till April even in Japan.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So if I was to use my 765M laptop to play this game, how much would I need to turn down if I wanted to get it to 60fps?

Bloodborne can work for PC confirmed! Please Bloodborne 2, I want you for PC!
I believe that's a Sony franchise and will stay Sony only.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Looking forward to 4k downsampling then. My GTX980s are ready. Lets hope it supports SLI right away.

Bl@de

Agreed. Performance seems to be great for a pre-release version.

Hopeford

Those results look encouraging to my poor 660ti. I don't mind turning down a few settings for the sake of 60fps, so it seems like that's gonna work out just fine.

w0s

Seriously though how on earth can the textures almost identical at any setting? I can't wait for the game and it won't make me enjoy it less but I can't think of many games at all where there is near zero difference.

see5harp

Wish I could be certain that my ancient 3.2ghz phenom 2 and gtx 660 could run this at 1080p. Would drop the ps4 version in an instant

I'm rocking a 680 still and am pretty confident it'll run at least equal to the consoles. If not, who cares? It's cheaper and it'll work on your PC 10 years from now.

Durante

So if I was to use my 765M laptop to play this game, how much would I need to turn down if I wanted to get it to 60fps?
A 765M is really slow by semi-recent desktop standards. You're probably talking 720p if you really want to maintain 60 FPS on that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seriously though how on earth can the textures almost identical at any setting? I can't wait for the game and it won't make me enjoy it less but I can't think of many games at all where there is near zero difference.

Wouldn't be too surprising if the review build didn't ship with all the textures just to save some space :p. Here's hoping my FX6300 and 280X can manage 60 at High settings.

LostDonkey

Mouse has trouble with 4K resolution.

Squeaker_working_with_the_mouserev.jpg

Gitaroo

sometime, dev use it for AF control instead of reducing the texture resolution.

Tagyhag

Wow that's actually really low. The game maxed is either going to look exactly like the console version or like you said, the 770 won't be enough for 60.

Zexen

Looking forward to 4k downsampling then. My GTX980s are ready. Lets hope it supports SLI right away.
You should not count much on it, seeing how DaS2 managed SLI at launch. It could be a different story being a different engine (different to which point ?), but I'm currently not relying on my 2 980Ti to run the game at first.

Top Bottom