• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - Oct 11th, 2011 [Trailer/Screenshots/Previews/$59.99 Collector's Edition]

Man

Relaxed Muscle said:
I think about it as a more awesome faction event system:

You met a NPC in your way to some dark forrest.He managed to trap another NPC on a magic trap spell, but running away from there he left the ring that keeps on the spell, he ask you to get it for him, he's tired and wounded so he can't go himself.

At the same time another player mets the imprisoned NPC in the forrest, he says another NPC trap him there, but that a ring is the device that keeps the spell on and he "feels it" in some place in the forrest.

So both make an oath to each NPC, they now are playing against other without knowing it. They may found each other in the forrest, but they don't know what are really doing each other there, so what will happen when they realize they are in different faction? who will realize first so he can set a trap to the other player? they may even never realize they were in the same forrest, anaway, they may been allies in the past....

The possiblities are endless, it could be even better if From would add new events every few weeks or so.
Cross objectives is one of the new aspects with Dark Souls. Most likely Oath related.

Ferrio said:
Would be neat if there's an oath that makes you more susceptible to invasions.
from the way it sounds its less about invasions and more about sharing a space with other players, some of whom will be friendly to you and some who will be against you depending on the oaths you've sworn in the game.

my question would be if the oaths are single-time only or can you choose the opposite oath to serve some purpose. like world tendency.

Zeliard

Yoshichan said:
map_castle002.jpg

Damn, look at that scope. Explorable?

Amir0x

Banned
This game is obviously gaming nirvana. I think I will play this one for the rest of PS3's generation.*

PROVIDED PSN EVER COMES BACK UP LOL

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, trying to equate the atmosphere/visual direction and music with the storyline in the game is far too reaching for me to take seriously.

You are so far removed from the very basics of visual storytelling that this conversation is pointless.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do we think PSN will be back up by launch?

I'm leaning toward PS3 version simply because of Demon's Souls and I've gotten used to the controller for it, but wouldn't want to play disconnected.

Amir0x

Banned
Mortrialus said:
You are so far removed from the very basics of visual storytelling that this conversation is pointless.

Oh thank God! This way I won't have to hear another one of your comical screeds where you're consistently incorrect about everything and you get yourself angrier and angrier as you fail to move me with your pitiable arguments :(

We had one of those in a topic the other day. it was very painful to watch! Thanks for granting me a reprieve :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both fill a niche for gaming that is otherwise usually pretty vacant. I don't think every game needs to be like it (that sounds kinda shitty actually), but I love that games like this still exist, and these games carry that tradition.

John Harker said:

I'm leaning toward PS3 version simply because of Demon's Souls and I've gotten used to the controller for it, but wouldn't want to play disconnected.
If PSN isn't up by October, Sony is in serious trouble.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
John Harker said:

If PSN isn't back by October, it is never coming back.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You mean that collector's Edition is going be the same price as a normal title? All the stops are being hit for this.

Amir0x said:
Oh thank God! This way I won't have to hear another one of your comical screeds where you're consistently incorrect about everything and you get yourself angrier and angrier as you fail to move me with your pitiable arguments :(

We had one of those in a topic the other day. it was very painful to watch! Thanks for granting me a reprieve :D

The only thing laughable right now is your ignorance.

Mortrialus said:

There's basically no storytelling elements in Dark Souls: most of dialogues and all are there to build a world, with their myths, gods, demons, etc...

There's is no character development, plot (which is as simple and basic as, destroy the evil and bring back world peace), morality or anything that should be taken into consideration beyond of what the game is simply offering you: a world for the player to inmerse himself.

Demon souls is basically the opposite of, for example a game like ICO (which shares the same importance of visual elements and lack of cutscenes), where the world is basically an excuse to show the relationship and they increasing bond between two characters.

thetrin said:
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both fill a niche for gaming that is otherwise usually pretty vacant. I don't think every game needs to be like it (that sounds kinda shitty actually), but I love that games like this still exist, and these games carry that tradition.

Depends on what you mean by "like it". Gaming in general would be so much better if every game put in the effort Demon's Souls did on basics like level design and feel of the weapons/actions, rather than ignoring them and focusing on spectacle to hook players.

Audioboxer

No doubt this will bomb down to £20-£25 a week after release, but I couldn't help myself with that pre-order SE at £36.85.

Demons Souls is the only platinum I have.

Amir0x

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
There's basically no storytelling elements in Dark Souls: most of dialogues and all are there to build a world, with their myths, gods, demons, etc...

There's is no character development, plot (which is as simple and basic as, destroy the evil and bring back world peace), morality or anything that should be taken into consideration beyond of what the game is simply offering you: a world for the player to inmerse himself.

Demon souls is basically the opposite of, for example a game like ICO (which shares the same importance of visual elements and lack of cutscenes), where the world is basically an excuse to show the relationship and they increasing bond between two characters.

But somehow liking its atmosphere and music is akin to endorsing videogame stories.

Shhh, shhh. Let them be. We would have less comedy gold on GAF if we didn't let them be

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I still have to play Demon's Souls. I don't know if should though; the rage induced might cause me to hate Dark Souls :-/ . Looks impeccable nonetheless.

Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. <26 digit number>

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once.

Take heed to not become overconfident, for even the mightiest warrior can be brought to his knees.
Onward to battle!

Dark Souls
From the puzzle

Directions to beat the puzzle found on another forum:
Using Chrome
Go to developer tools
Go to console tab type "mg" in console and press enter
One object will show up, open object, open settings, open solveKeys
Copy those keys to notepad
Go to elements tab in tool
Type gly-# in search
Hover over element it selects - element will also be highlighted on the page
Click that glyph on the page
Repeat for all 30 keys

Zeliard

Relaxed Muscle said:

Those aren't the only elements of storytelling, though. He's right that Demon's Souls heavily emphasizes visual storytelling. Each zone is distinct but the whole is still cohesive and, along with the enemies you fight (especially some of the bosses), ends up giving the player a very vivid picture of Boletaria and the state it's in.

What Demon's Souls didn't do was hammer home the plot. It's relatively simple stuff you can get some more info on by chatting to some characters, but the game's main purpose as a story was to get across how foreboding and harsh the world you're in is. And that played directly into the gameplay. In that sense, the storytelling was powerful and highly effective.

Necromanti said:
From what we've heard, it sure seems like it.

Game honestly sounds perfect so far.

Relaxed Muscle said:

To say there are no storytelling elements in Demon's Souls is just objectively wrong. There is much more to story telling, visual storytelling in particular, than just the writing, themes and the plot. You mention that the game is just a world to immerse yourself in, but how do you think they went about building that world? It was through the visual storytelling elements like the focus on atmosphere, art style, technical presentation, and music. Heck even aspects of the gameplay are elements to story telling. Your character isn't bouncing off of walls, tearing through enemies like they're nothing like in Devil May Cry. He's very grounded and his movements and combat are comparatively more realistic, more realistic than most games.

Now there is very little plot, no character development from what I've seen, and no obvious themes, but the other storytelling elements are are crucial for making Demon's Souls such a fantastic experience. If the team went out of their way to remove as many aspects of storytelling as possible just to make way for the game play, what would be left would be a completely mute game with wire frame characters, enemies and levels.

Zeal

Banned
all i gotta say is someone should start working on the official thread now. make it the stuff of legends, as it deserves.

RedSwirl

So the CE and SE are the same price? Or is the SE $49.99 or something?

And the Demon's Souls servers will go down around the time Dark Souls comes out right?

Audioboxer

Cloudius12 said:
From the puzzle

Directions to beat the puzzle found on another forum:
Using Chrome
Go to developer tools
Go to console tab type "mg" in console and press enter
One object will show up, open object, open settings, open solveKeys
Copy those keys to notepad
Go to elements tab in tool
Type gly-# in search
Hover over element it selects - element will also be highlighted on the page
Click that glyph on the page
Repeat for all 30 keys

There doesn't happen to be Firefox instructions? Thanks

Angry Fork

I hope there's a lower difficulty option, just for those that need it. I loved Demons Souls gameplay but I just don't have the time unfortunately to spend hours dying over and over because of random mistakes here and there.

Zeal

Banned
Angry Fork said:
I hope there's a lower difficulty option, just for those that need it. I loved Demons Souls gameplay but I just don't have the time unfortunately to spend hours dying over and over because of random mistakes here and there.
then this game is not for you.

Zeliard said:
Those aren't the only elements of storytelling, though. He's right that Demon's Souls heavily emphasizes visual storytelling. Each zone is distinct but the whole is still cohesive and, along with the enemies you fight (especially some of the bosses), ends up giving the player a very vivid picture of Boletaria and the state it's in.

What Demon's Souls didn't do was hammer home the plot. It's relatively simple stuff you can get some more info on by chatting to some characters, but the game's main purpose as a story was to get across how foreboding and harsh the world you're in is. And that played directly into the gameplay. In that sense, the storytelling was powerful and highly effective.

Game honestly sounds perfect so far.

highly agreed.

Angry Fork

Zeal said:
then this game is not for you.
Disagree. Loved Demons Souls, gameplay was terrific, worlds were very interesting, and the challenge was rewarding until things got tedious. I'd just like an option to tone down the difficulty so it's not such a time sink on some levels.

Amir0x

Banned
Angry Fork said:
no mistakes are random. a lack of skill only seems random to those who lack the patience to apply themselves ;P

Demon's Souls is only hard if you try to play it like any ol' hack and slash, running through arbitrarily picking targets and trying to gank them to death.

Demon's Souls is about methodical observation of your surroundings, careful selection of your targets, ensuring you are not put into a situation where you can overwhelmed or outnumbered. Ensuring you are intoned enough with your character level and abilities to know which enemies he can currently take on and which he can't.

It's really not that hard. I died only when I was rushing and therefore missing obvious indicators or messages of traps or ambushes or difficult enemies, or on two particularly difficult bosses where my skill simply was not prepared for their onslaught (fuck you Maneaters!!!)

Anyway there are not difficulty levels but they have a campfires system in place that should make life easier for you.

MMaRsu

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Meh. First game just like this game will be niche games for people to brag about how they beat it even though 90% of them will use a guide or look up crap when they are stuck.

Haha wow, such sour grapes. Got your ass beat by the first boss then?

Top Bottom