Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalnos

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
7,775
0
0
cpp_is_king said:
How does that work anyway out of curiosity? I saw a video of it, but had no idea what was going on
You have to use the item you get from the covenant in
Ash Lake
in some peculiar way.
 

Abylim

Member
Dec 29, 2007
2,533
1
780
33
Australia
cpp_is_king said:
Was there any part of ng+ that you thought was significantly harder than ng? What about it made it harder?
You basically cant get hit. Im sporting Giants Armor fully maxed, so I can take a beating, but most enemies go through your endurance when blocking, which leads to stagger, which leads to death.
You pretty much need to learn to roll a lot more, I made the mistake of relying on blocking abit too much I think.

I was surprised at how previously laughable bosses became a frantic battle for my SURVIVAL, not to win.
Iron giant
for instance! The fucker would not stagger/kneel for me.

I leveled up abit and learnt a few sorceries, and they more or less just helped to damage bosses when I was at range, pretty decent way to whittle down a little health.

But yeah, I'm a pretty composed guy, but
Ornstein and Smough
made me lose my shit. Such a hard fight with little room fr error.

Not to mention
Gwyn
can pretty much two shot you, and will, with most combos.
 

Yo Gotti

Banned
Nov 27, 2006
1,983
1
0
Kyoufu said:
Yup. Shit was ridiculous in Demon's and it's ridiculous in Dark. I welcome this beautiful patch.




You sound very salty and defensive over your overpowered spell being nerfed. I know you know that the miracle is an i-win button. Don't deny it!
Lol, I'm not salty, but I would be sad to see it go. It gives you an advantage but I don't feel that it's cheap like the Fog Ring.
 

Beats

Member
Apr 9, 2011
4,673
0
0
Canada
StunandStab said:
What's all that loot in the beginning of the Tomb of Giants? I can't figure out how to get to any of it...
Those are just path markers. You can make your own with prism stones.

edit: nevermind lol.
 

Jonsoncao

Member
Dec 10, 2006
3,263
0
1,035
West Lafayette, IN
Genjikage said:
You basically cant get hit. Im sporting Giants Armor fully maxed, so I can take a beating, but most enemies go through your endurance when blocking, which leads to stagger, which leads to death.
You pretty much need to learn to roll a lot more, I made the mistake of relying on blocking abit too much I think.

I was surprised at how previously laughable bosses became a frantic battle for my SURVIVAL, not to win.
Iron giant
for instance! The fucker would not stagger/kneel for me.

I leveled up abit and learnt a few sorceries, and they more or less just helped to damage bosses when I was at range, pretty decent way to whittle down a little health.

But yeah, I'm a pretty composed guy, but
Ornstein and Smough
made me lose my shit. Such a hard fight with little room fr error.

Not to mention
Gwyn
can pretty much two shot you, and will, with most combos.
LOL Tomb of Giants should be hard as fuck in NG+
 

zerokoolpsx

Member
Nov 2, 2009
11,899
0
0
I just joined the forest hunters and somehow I sinned. One of the NPC must ran off the cliff. It's gonna take me a while to farm that and absolve my sins.
 

ironcreed

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
30,337
2
0
Good progress today for sure.

- Knocked out Ornstein and Smough
- Beat Sif on my first try.
- Decimated 4 Kings on my third attempt.

Ornstein and Smough was the most difficult the game has been thus far, so it felt really good to hit that zone and methodically take them out. On the flip-side, Sif was by far the easiest fight of the game for me and I felt like I finally got a well deserved break in the difficulty. I just tried to stay by his legs or under them when I could... no problem.

I then proceeded to New Londo Ruins to dispatch of the 4 Kings and this honestly was a place that I was dreading the hell out of, but it was actually not so bad. The 4 Kings in the Abyss look a hell of a lot more intimidating than they really are. I just threw on Havel's gear and tanked them two handed with my Quelaag Fury Sword +3. Easy peasy.

Now, I am currently working on Duke's Archives and am liking this level a lot. It is like an icy Tower of Latria early on, but with a library of course, lol. Hopefully I can keep my momentum going and take out Seathe without too much trouble tomorrow. It is amazing how one night you can feel frustrated beyond belief and then the next day find your groove and go on a tear. Feels nice.
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,203
1
0
London
twitter.com
Yo Gotti said:
Lol, I'm not salty, but I would be sad to see it go. It gives you an advantage but I don't feel that it's cheap like the Fog Ring.
It's just as bad if not worse honestly. Once it is cast, even Stevie Wonder could get behind you and backstab you.

Or, if you prefer, just nuke the person because he literally can't get away from the spells.

Soooooo cheap!
 

Varna

Member
Dec 6, 2008
5,978
0
0
Varna said:
Behind the 20k door in the forest... that thief that attacks you... what armor is he using and is there any way to get it?
Anyone know?

Also what's the difference between enchanted and magic? They seem to be the same...
 

Arken2121

Member
Jan 4, 2011
1,600
0
0
Arken2121 said:
A little torn here guys. I'm SL 19 with
Vit:12
AT:12
END:26
STR:12
DEX:10
RES:12
IN:10
FA:8

I really like using piercing weapons be it either spear or dagger but I keep hearing that the dex scaling really blows. I currently have 165k souls atm debating what to use. I restarted from my old toon who had 40 dex but since he ended up using the lightning spear, it felt like wasted points. Thoughts?
Bump

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
 

StickSoldier

Member
Sep 17, 2010
8,087
0
0
30
Genjikage said:
I started my NG+ thinking I just wanted to have a gander at the strength of the enemies.

Got upto Anor Londo, rage quit due to the insane difficulty of a certain 2 on 1.
Swore to myself I'd play it in a few weeks or something.
I woke up the next morning, had a strat in mind, tried it out, beat them, continued on, saying I was just going to the next bonfire, or something.
A day later I beat it a second time lol.
This game just gets into me, and possesses me.
I feel like I'm done now though, some of the bosses that I found hard the first time through were aboslutely brutal this time. I didnt use the Crystal shield trick, I took too much damage when I tried lol.

So I pretty much just went through, but had to get hit a lot less. There is like, barely any room fr error.
Haha yeah, I was struggling to put down the controller when I went through it the first time, I had so much fun. Once I beat the game though, I was so upset at the ending that the idea of playing through it again was sickening. I'm sure I'll go back through it soon, but I spent a lot of time the past week playing it so I'm burnt out.
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,203
1
0
London
twitter.com
Arken2121 said:
Bump

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?
If you only intend on using lightning spear for the rest of your life, then yes, putting points into DEX/STR is a waste. Lightning Spear is for low level builds. If you intend on playing this game til level 140+ then you will want a build designed around stat scaling, as DEX/STR builds at this level will outdamage the lightning stuff.
 

Zzoram

Member
Apr 17, 2007
33,496
0
0
Varna said:
Anyone know?

Also what's the difference between enchanted and magic? They seem to be the same...
Enchanted +5 is better scaling and damage than Magic +10 assuming you have high INT.



Normal +15 only does more damage than Lightning +5 after the main scaling stat (whether STR or DEX) passes 50.
 

brandonh83

Banned
Jun 26, 2005
69,634
1
0
36
Game froze on me twice, think it's time to retire the PS3 for a few days. Can't believe I've put 115 hours on this since launch.
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,620
0
820
Zzoram said:
Enchanted +5 is better scaling and damage than Magic +10 assuming you have high INT.



Normal +15 only does more damage than Lightning +5 after the main scaling stat (whether STR or DEX) passes 50.
This is a very helpful post yay!

I'm surprised Mercury stuff is gone. My mercury claws were lifesavers back in DS.
 

Arken2121

Member
Jan 4, 2011
1,600
0
0
Kyoufu said:
If you only intend on using lightning spear for the rest of your life, then yes, putting points into DEX/STR is a waste. Lightning Spear is for low level builds. If you intend on playing this game til level 140+ then you will want a build designed around stat scaling, as DEX/STR builds at this level will outdamage the lightning stuff.
Right, I hear you just a little disappointed in the short-term results.
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,203
1
0
London
twitter.com
I'd just like to say that I had to switch from my PAL Slim PS3 back to my JP 20GB model.

How you guys play with O being the run/evade button is mind boggling! I say this as a Demon's Souls/Monster Hunter player :p
 

Abylim

Member
Dec 29, 2007
2,533
1
780
33
Australia
Jonsoncao said:
LOL Tomb of Giants should be hard as fuck in NG+
Yep, got raped by the boss, then on the way back, got murdered by a pack of
3 skellie dogs.
Was a fun way to lose the 38 humanity and 400k+ souls on me.
 

zerokoolpsx

Member
Nov 2, 2009
11,899
0
0
Now this is interesting. I finally killed someone in the forest protecting the NPC's right. I firestorm him and got the kill. I got indicted for killing him to protect NPC's lol. I also got a white titanite chunk out of it. Not bad. He could have indicted the other invader with ring of fog on that did like 90% damage to him. Other invader gave me the joy gesture.
 

Yo Gotti

Banned
Nov 27, 2006
1,983
1
0
Kyoufu said:
It's just as bad if not worse honestly. Once it is cast, even Stevie Wonder could get behind you and backstab you.

Or, if you prefer, just nuke the person because he literally can't get away from the spells.

Soooooo cheap!
I guess you could use it to be cheap like that, but that's no fun for me. I can't stand those players who just go for the backstab, or hide behind a shield/spear.
 

john tv

Member
Jun 6, 2004
7,998
0
0
Yukumo Village
www.8-4.jp
From Software said:
Examples of Issues to be Addressed
*Fixes to certain spells and effects:
-Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
-Tranquil Walk of Peace
-Ring of Fog, etc.
*Unlimited uses of magic and items
*Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
*Adjustments to the player matching conditions
*Loading problems when switching between maps
etc.

(More details on these fixes will be announced later).
Want to go home and play more right now...
 

Abylim

Member
Dec 29, 2007
2,533
1
780
33
Australia
Also, if anyones curious, used Dragonslayer Spear+5 and Greatshield of Astora+5 the whole way through.

The weapon is awesome, a lightning spear that you can block and poke with, that scales.
 

Varna

Member
Dec 6, 2008
5,978
0
0
Zzoram said:
Enchanted +5 is better scaling and damage than Magic +10 assuming you have high INT.



Normal +15 only does more damage than Lightning +5 after the main scaling stat (whether STR or DEX) passes 50.
50 Eh...that's not so bad. Thanks for that post. It does suck that you basically have to be on your 2nd or 3rd game for it to matter though.

EDIT: Been putting some points in INT to use a few spells... back to dex for me.
 

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Sep 3, 2007
3,878
0
0
toska
Oh my word I am invading people in Sen's Fortress and using Chameleon and it is wonderful.

The first time I did it the host had a phantom with him and they both saw me right off the bat. They were on the other side of the swinging blades so I cast Chameleon and then started navigating the blades as a mobile statue. They just stood there and watched me and after I got through they cheered and I bowed and they smashed me into the pit and I died.

That was the most fun thing I have ever done in Dark Souls.
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,203
1
0
London
twitter.com
Genjikage said:
Also, if anyones curious, used Dragonslayer Spear+5 and Greatshield of Astora+5 the whole way through.

The weapon is awesome, a lightning spear that you can block and poke with, that scales.
Scales with Faith... doesn't it?
 

Abylim

Member
Dec 29, 2007
2,533
1
780
33
Australia
ironcreed said:
It is amazing how one night you can feel frustrated beyond belief and then the next day find your groove and go on a tear. Feels nice.
This describes my relationship with the game near perfectly.
I didnt get majorly upset at it, but I had two nights like that, only to wake up the next day and smash whatever was blocking me.
I just COULD NOT put this game down.
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,203
1
0
London
twitter.com
Genjikage said:
Also, if anyones curious, used Dragonslayer Spear+5 and Greatshield of Astora+5 the whole way through.

The weapon is awesome, a lightning spear that you can block and poke with, that scales.
Scales with Faith... doesn't it?

johntv said:
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
So basically, anyone planning to spec their new character now should hold off for this balance patch? I assume they will make STR/DEX worth it for lower level players.
 

Zzoram

Member
Apr 17, 2007
33,496
0
0
Varna said:
50 Eh...that's not so bad. Thanks for that post. It does suck that you basically have to be on your 2nd or 3rd game for it to matter though.

EDIT: Been putting some points in INT to use a few spells... back to dex for me.
The next patch is supposed to rebalance STR/DEX scaling so it might become better, maybe the crossover point will be pushed back to 40 or something. I personally think they should push it back to 30.
 

Aeana

Member
Jul 10, 2006
42,062
0
0
Zzoram said:
Nope. The next best place IMO is farming the Caped Knights at the Undead Parish bonfire by the blacksmith.
Can you explain that? I'm there now but I'm not sure I actually see the place/method you're talking about.
 

Varna

Member
Dec 6, 2008
5,978
0
0
Zzoram said:
The next patch is supposed to rebalance STR/DEX scaling so it might become better, maybe the crossover point will be pushed back to 40 or something. I personally think they should push it back to 30.
That would be amazing. Wish I would have known this before I started upping my int. :(
 

Mr_Appleby

Member
Mar 21, 2008
3,940
0
765
Kyoufu said:
How you guys play with O being the run/evade button is mind boggling! I say this as a Demon's Souls/Monster Hunter player :p
sometimes when i'm tired i start hitting L1 to reset the camera... :/
 

Zzoram

Member
Apr 17, 2007
33,496
0
0
Aeana said:
Can you explain that? I'm there now but I'm not sure I actually see the place/method you're talking about.
It's not easy, but there are 4 Caped Knights easily accessible in the Church, plus 2 hollow soldiers and 1 hollow archer on your way into the Church side door from the bonfire.

If you can kill them all semi-quickly, you get around 550 souls.

3x50 for the hollows, 4x100 for the caped knights. There are 3 on the main floor of the church and 1 just up the stairs.

It's only fast if you can kill them quickly, whether it's with soul arrow or fireballs. If you're melee, triggering the dragon to kill the hollows on the bridge is probably faster.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.