• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I have 60 Intelligence and 7 slots so I think this is the way I'd like to proceed. Where can I find this Dusk who sells the spell?

Kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, then go to the far end of the lake and you'll find a golden crystal golem hanging out in an alcove. If it doesn't show up immediately quit to the main menu and reload your save and it should show up. Kill it and Dusk will appear and thank you then disappear. Afterwards a summoning sign will show up near the shore of the lake. Touch it and Dusk will appear and sell you magic. Her dress and spiffy hat will also show up on a corpse in the alcove where you fought the golem.

Itseems you have devised a plan for when the spell runs out, but it went out on me at the most inopportune times. The sunlight helm is by far the most preferred for me...I always like to max pyro before going too far in the game and enjoy fire weapons, so an early trip to DR is fine in my books....I don't even care that much about avoiding Lost Izalith..............but each their own.

My main objection to the Sunlight Maggot is that it is a bug that I am expected to put on my head.

I do not consider myself a fashionista, but there are certain lines I will not cross with regard to apparel.

How is it these WoG spammers can cast it like 50 times? Fucks sake.

Since it's not a Covenant Miracle you can gather up multiple castings across play-throughs. One run nets you three castings, and from there the only limit is your own imagination.

And Attunement slots. But mostly imagination.

Miracle Resonance

"Some miracles have a "Resonance" property. If multiple players nearby in the network use these miracles, the effect for everyone is amplified."

I've got a suspicion that Miracle Resonance works about as well as Gravelording.

yE72j.png

Love the Man-serpent Greatsword.

Sajjaja

yE72j.png

That is sick!

Man, NG+ is so fast compared to NG.... Only boss that gave me trouble was Capra Demon. Heck, I already got the Lord Vessel! Just built my GLGS, haven't used it yet though as it makes me slow with my armor right now. Gotta wait till I get Thorn Set. Or I can rock the elite Knight set. Its pretty cool.

yE72j.png

The Man-serpent Greatsword is so aweome, I have mine +15 and it rocks. It's just a little heavy but it's so badass. :)

I am farming some chunks in the last section now with the 5 Black Knights. So far a 100% drop rate for chunks (and weapons, it seems), but I am at 410 discovery. Don't know what I'll do with all these Black Knight weapons!

The Man-serpent Greatsword is so aweome, I have mine +15 and it rocks. It's just a little heavy but it's so badass. :)

I am farming some chunks in the last section now with the 5 Black Knights. So far a 100% drop rate for chunks (and weapons, it seems), but I am at 410 discovery. Don't know what I'll do with all these Black Knight weapons!

Same here +15. Just finished farming some chunks. 10 humanity plus gold serpent ring make it pretty easy.

demigod

I think I'm the worse player here. I'm lvl 121, 1000 health and still on my first game. Four Kings is pretty cheap, beat them on first attempt but most of my hits weren't even landing on them. It's like I was hitting the air.

Is there a list of the best weapon including the magic buffs for each weapon? So what all is different in NG+, we keep everything except for the keys to advance or what? Bosses the same?

maomaoIYP

I think I'm the worse player here. I'm lvl 121, 1000 health and still on my first game. Four Kings is pretty cheap, beat them on first attempt but most of my hits weren't even landing on them. It's like I was hitting the air.

Is there a list of the best weapon including the magic buffs for each weapon? So what all is different in NG+, we keep everything except for the keys to advance or what? Bosses the same?

Technically there is no absolute best weapon, but in general the stronger weapons are the ones that have high stat scaling. The best Int based buff is crystal magic weapon. The best Fai based buff is darkmoon blade, with the blade of the darkmoon covenant at +3. The next best Fai buff is sunlight weapon. In NG+ you lose all keys and embers as well as the covenant of artorias.

Zertez

Wow Im not sure you are the worse player, but that is very high SL for the first playthrough. Best weapon is all relative to your build, playstyle and skill point allotment. A weapon like a fully upgraded Bandit knife is incredible for a dex build, but it isnt very useful for a magic user. I like lightning and fire upgrades on my weapons. You lose the keys, lord souls, lord vessel and a couple of other things in NG+. There isnt much difference in NG+ except things have a little more power. Spend a little time upgraded your armor and weapons of choice before moving onto NG+. At your level you should be able to clear NG+ without leveling any more.

Fought the hydra-thing in the forest today. Knocked off all its heads except for one. As I went towards the last one. it punched me so hard I fell deep inside the shallow water I was standing in the entire time and I died.

What.

Jarlaxle

Fought the hydra-thing in the forest today. Knocked off all its heads except for one. As I went towards the last one. it punched me so hard I fell deep inside the shallow water I was standing in the entire time and I died.

What.

It's not all shallow water. There is a deep end.

Jarlaxle

Kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, then go to the far end of the lake and you'll find a golden crystal golem hanging out in an alcove. If it doesn't show up immediately quit to the main menu and reload your save and it should show up. Kill it and Dusk will appear and thank you then disappear. Afterwards a summoning sign will show up near the shore of the lake. Touch it and Dusk will appear and sell you magic. Her dress and spiffy hat will also show up on a corpse in the alcove where you fought the golem.

I had already killed the Hydra and beat the crystal golem. I just didn't know there was anything else there other than a shortcut into the forest towards Sif. I never went back to the shoreline. Thanks.

You have to summon here first one time, after that her dress spawns in the back of the gold golem cave. Nearly missed that gear - for a mage it is pretty essential in my eyes. Also her light spell can be quite handy. It seems her summon sign often "disappears" in the water but it still works.

Jarlaxle

You have to summon here first one time, after that her dress spawns in the back of the gold golem cave. Nearly missed that gear - for a mage it is pretty essential in my eyes. Also her light spell can be quite handy. It seems her summon sign often "disappears" in the water but it still works.

I'm rocking Big Hat Logan's gear right now and probably will finish up with it. I know the stats aren't great. I just like the look. In my mind, I've decided there's been multiple big hat Logan's throughout history. At some point they go crazy with their power and another is forced to come along and take their place. I'm probably the 5th Big Hat Logan to come along.

Dresden

I'm rocking Big Hat Logan's gear right now and probably will finish up with it. I know the stats aren't great. I just like the look. In my mind, I've decided there's been multiple big hat Logan's throughout history. At some point they go crazy with their power and another is forced to come along and take their place. I'm probably the 5th Big Hat Logan to come along.

Logan's gear is actually really good, especially the hat. If it had poise more people would use it, but yeah . . .

Oh god I think I need a map for the forest area. I went in to fight the wolf. I knew he was there somewhere but wasn't exactly sure where. I found some incredibly tough spinny rat-creatures, a bunch of running mushrooms and a foggy door to a staircase that leads to death.

All that while running past other potential directions I could have headed towards.

I eventually got to the wolf, of course, but this seriously made me wonder just how much stuff there is in the forest. I already randomly stumbled upon an armor set that's way better from the start than the +4 set I'm currently wearing.

Also, I feel like I'm breaking the game with my equipment. I'm carrying a Black Knight Greataxe and a Stone Greatshield, with my equipment load comfortably at 50%. That combination feels stupid powerful.

MechaX

Also, I feel like I'm breaking the game with my equipment. I'm carrying a Black Knight Greataxe and a Stone Greatshield, with my equipment load comfortably at 50%. That combination feels stupid powerful.

You're pretty much breaking the single player with the Black Knight Great Axe alone.

Oh god I think I need a map for the forest area. I went in to fight the wolf. I knew he was there somewhere but wasn't exactly sure where. I found some incredibly tough spinny rat-creatures, a bunch of running mushrooms and a foggy door to a staircase that leads to death.

All that while running past other potential directions I could have headed towards.

After the cat/forest hunter covenant just run straight towards the end/cliff of the map, there is a huge bridge and a even bigger door which leads to Sif. Shouldn't be too hard to miss. I did it that way because it is the fastest way from the Darkroot Garden bonfire to Sif. I needed a few tries in my first game. After I discovered the benefits of Pyro +15 and Combustion Sif got a turkish shaving :)

I'm wondering, is there a way to improve your gear in NG+ and onwards? If you use a maxed +15 weapon to kill Gwyn, you're not gonna find anything better in the next game and everything will just be harder?

Since it's not a Covenant Miracle you can gather up multiple castings across play-throughs. One run nets you three castings, and from there the only limit is your own imagination.

And Attunement slots. But mostly imagination.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how many times you have to beat the game to get that many WoG casts. And you'd have to level up attunement like mad. It's like you have to make a build specifically for WoG spamming.

maomaoIYP

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how many times you have to beat the game to get that many WoG casts. And you'd have to level up attunement like mad. It's like you have to make a build specifically for WoG spamming.

Some people hide WoG casts in between casts of Force. You get a crapload casts of Force in each playthrough. Force has a slight different range and sound, you can recognize it if you've seen enough of it.

Dresden

I'm wondering, is there a way to improve your gear in NG+ and onwards? If you use a maxed +15 weapon to kill Gwyn, you're not gonna find anything better in the next game and everything will just be harder?

Yeah, but you're already so powerful it's not a huge step up in difficulty.

Shawn128

Any advice for the hydra? I've been trying to find a good spot to snipe the heads with a bow but I think all the places I'm finding are too far away and don't connect. My class is a knight and when I try to attack it head on inn darkroom basin, it shoots out so much magic that more than half my health is gone.

Dresden

Any advice for the hydra? I've been trying to find a good spot to snipe the heads with a bow but I think all the places I'm finding are too far away and don't connect. My class is a knight and when I try to attack it head on inn darkroom basin, it shoots out so much magic that more than half my health is gone.

It stops shooting out magic once you get close (i.e. in the water). Then it'll just occasionally lash out with its heads, which you can easily block with a shield. Attack the heads when they settle on the ground for a short bit. Watch out for where the shallow part of the lake ends, you'll drown.

Once you reach the shore I found the right side with the stones pretty safe. Just hold up your shield and wait for the heads to come down. A ring to move faster in the water is helpfull. I did not find a really safe sniper spot for a bow. Soul arrows killed most heads for me and the last 2 died by sword.

Question of my own:

I joined the Gravelord covenant - does this work now? Are there any good evil eye spots or doesn't it matter? The game did not say it found worlds to curse I just had black fog around me. Maybe my level is to high? I am currently ~40ish and just used the eye in the middle of the outside area at the catacomb level.

Derrick01

Banned
Those hydra's are bastards that's for sure. The two I fought so far took me (a heavy armor warrior) about 20-30 minutes each. It's hard to block/dodge the heads that strike out and then get a few shots in at the same time, sometimes they pull up really quick.

krakov

Question of my own:

I joined the Gravelord covenant - does this work now? Are there any good evil eye spots or doesn't it matter? The game did not say it found worlds to curse I just had black fog around me. Maybe my level is to high? I am currently ~40ish and just used the eye in the middle of the outside area at the catacomb level.

When you have the black fog an eye is active. You have to be in an area where the boss is undefeated (for you) for it to work. You can move between areas with a single eye and it has a level range that is probably around +/-10 levels. At SL 40 I would try the butterfly part of the forest and/or Sens Fortress, Blight Town and Anor Londo could work as well. The sign will move with you, so your best bet to get invaded from the sign is standing still close to a bonfire or such.

Those hydra's are bastards that's for sure. The two I fought so far took me (a heavy armor warrior) about 20-30 minutes each. It's hard to block/dodge the heads that strike out and then get a few shots in at the same time, sometimes they pull up really quick.
If you have enough Poise you can pretty much just stand there blocking and pressing R2 once in a while.

When you have the black fog an eye is active. You have to be in an area where the boss is undefeated (for you) for it to work. You can move between areas with a single eye and it has a level range that is probably around +/-10 levels. At SL 40 I would try the butterfly part of the forest and/or Sens Fortress, Blight Town and Anor Londo could work as well. The sign will move with you, so your best bet to get invaded from the sign is standing still close to a bonfire or such.

Ah okay. Thank you. I thought it worked more like a cracked red eye orb.

2AdEPT

I have a faint recollection that it is sometimes necessary to go out of the area and come back in order ot get her sign to show up...i.e. go up the ladder and into the next area until it says "darkroot garden" then come back down...SIgn has never failed doing that for me. Keep in mind she will die if the golems in the area are not dead...one time I neglected to kill all of them prior to speaking with DUsk, and eventhough I tried not to hit her the collateral damage of the golems or myself did her off. NO cool magic for that character's playthrough really sucked to be honest. ALso sucks that to get the armour after you buy all spells that she has to die. Dusk crown has great magic boost, but also one of the highest curse reductions for a head gear as well....only figured the latter out recently.

It stops shooting out magic once you get close (i.e. in the water). Then it'll just occasionally lash out with its heads, which you can easily block with a shield. Attack the heads when they settle on the ground for a short bit. Watch out for where the shallow part of the lake ends, you'll drown.

If you have enough Poise you can pretty much just stand there blocking and pressing R2 once in a while.

IF your shield does not have enough stability, or you don't have enough endurance, this is actually more difficult. I try to bring the eagle shield for blocking, learn where it is that the heads enter the ground, then stand right beside that spot for the next time to get a jab in with the lightning spear.....bleed weapons might do better but never tried....but unlike tail damage counters I think these will eventually be able to be whittled down to death one graze at a time. ONce you get a few heads cut off the landing spots are more predcitable.

There's a safe spot in both Ash Lake and Darkroot Basin where you can shoot arrows without the magic being able to touch you. It's the pussy way of course, but hey, I'm a pussy!

Sajjaja

I'm level 100 now doing invasions. Should I level up more? I got 40 dex, end, and vitality. 20 str. Thinking of bringing faith to 18 so I can use TWOP. What say you?

Also, any tips on invasions. I'm terrible.

Sullichin

I'm level 100 now doing invasions. Should I level up more? I got 40 dex, end, and vitality. 20 str. Thinking of bringing faith to 18 so I can use TWOP. What say you?

Booo to that. if you have really low faith/int and you're already at 100 i'd suggest not bothering with either and use an upgraded pyro glove to complement your melee options. Where are you invading? You can still level up and invade all the SL120 people in the burg, painted world, and kiln. There's lots of good dex weapons like the balder side sword, great scythe, chaos blade.

Watching thanatos attempt speedruns.

Unbelievable that the best time relies on getting a Black Knight Halberd drop.

Entertaining, and that is pretty crazy. It's cool seeing him practice his route. Glad that he's going for non-glitched run. EDIT: damn that halberd is powerful. Did he upgrade it? I missed that.

krakov

TWOP isn't worth it, 50 VIT is probably a better investment. A good tip is practice, you'll get better fast if you start to duel/invade. Start using the red soapstone in Burg/Kiln if you want some decently fair 1v1.

Ah okay. Thank you. I thought it worked more like a cracked red eye orb.

It's actually more like a summon/invasion sign that will move around. People will see it on the ground and can choose to invade you from it. The actual infection part is kinda blurry though, you'll get no reports on whether it's working or not.

soultron

Banned
Fucking TotG. Have the lantern but the crawling giants can basically OHK me with their spazz attack (even though it's actually a chain of attacks). Crazy shit is that I'm wearing Havel's set and the Wolf Ring! It'd be way easier to read their tells if there was light, but goddamn.

That shit is tough. Cliff drop offs, more giant crawlers hidden in the dark, skull archers, etc.

This is where the game really shows its teeth. Haha.

Fucking TotG. Have the lantern but the crawling giants can basically OHK me with their spazz attack (even though it's actually a chain of attacks). Crazy shit

Easily, EASILY the cheapest enemies in the game. The spazz attack will kill pretty much with pretty much any gear every now and then no matter how careful you are. They have long range and they are fast as hell.

In my lists only maybe Titanite Demons come close.

Easily, EASILY the cheapest enemies in the game. The spazz attack will kill pretty much with pretty much any gear every now and then no matter how careful you are. They have long range and they are fast as hell.

I didn't have a problem with them. I think I was quickly 2 or 3 shotting them with a +5 Quelaag's Furysword. I just tried to spam them to death before they could do anything.

The dogs are way worse imo. The time between their attacks is so short.

soultron

Banned

I find the TDs are easier to deal with (unless there are more than one, like in Sen's Fortress "basement") mostly because they have a "blind spot" that you can get into and not take any damage.

Finding a blind spot on any enemy that doesn't have a close-range burst/AOE attack means they're finished.

The crawling giants are difficult because you can't see/defend when using the lantern, really. I don't have a great weapon (Lightning Scimitar +3) so they take about 6-8 hits, IIRC. I only have ~1170 HP, so if they open up with that spazz attack from range, I usually get stunned and killed. :c

I might get that sunlight maggot helmet before I venture any deeper into TotG. I already warped back to Firelink for the time being. Gonna strategize on my next move, regroup, and then head back out!

Sullichin

He's wearing the red tearstone ring for the damage boost.

Ah, I missed when he picked that up - I should try that out on 4K on my SL1 run, having trouble there and they basically one shot me anyway. He doesn't seem to know TotG very well yet, I can definitely get through that second part faster. I'm sure he'll get really good at it though

2AdEPT

I find the TDs are easier to deal with (unless there are more than one, like in Sen's Fortress "basement") mostly because they have a "blind spot" that you can get into and not take any damage.

Finding a blind spot on any enemy that doesn't have a close-range burst/AOE attack means they're finished.

The crawling giants are difficult because you can't see/defend when using the lantern, really. I don't have a great weapon (Lightning Scimitar +3) so they take about 6-8 hits, IIRC. I only have ~1170 HP, so if they open up with that spazz attack from range, I usually get stunned and killed. :c

I might get that sunlight maggot helmet before I venture any deeper into TotG. I already warped back to Firelink for the time being. Gonna strategize on my next move, regroup, and then head back out!

YEah definitely consider a higher damage weapon so that you can one or two shot the dogs before they get a chance to attack. IIRC I took a maxed-out fire or chaos zweihander or great scythe....but the last time I went and I didn't have those i used the maxed pyro glove with the chaos double attunement.....maxed out it gives the lava effect, so it hits twice...direct hit=600-700, lava on ground another 200- 250(if they step in it, usually die OHK but sometimes forced to finish them off with sword if they don't step in the lava buit withonly 200 or so health points left any weapon will finish them.) Keeping in mind that most of the dogs can be snuck by, or run by even, you shoudl have enough pyro though its only the four hits. Ifyou have enough slots, the orbs will be enough for the pinwheels in the pre-nito area.

I can't see anyway to get by these things without a high stability shield if you allow them to flail around. I have never tried it, but stunlocking with Murakumo is another possibility?

Finally beat the game for the first time, took 93 hours apparently. I bought it back at launch but took a long hiatus (was burnt out from lots of Demon Souls prior). A little bummed there was no endgame cinematic, just credits and straight to NG+. Oh well, gonna dive ball-deep into the wikia and create a really optimized class. Been staying away until now, and I only bothered to get my first character up to level 59.

soultron

Banned
YEah definitely consider a higher damage weapon so that you can one or two shot the dogs before they get a chance to attack. IIRC I took a maxed-out fire or chaos zweihander or great scythe....but the last time I went and I didn't have those i used the maxed pyro glove with the chaos double attunement.....maxed out it gives the lava effect, so it hits twice...direct hit=600-700, lava on ground another 200- 250(if they step in it, usually do sometimes forced to finish them off with sword)

The only thing is that I think I kind of borked my character development. I'm ~80 with ~40 in each of DEX+VIT+END. I have +11 STR... which means I can't really wield most high damage weapons. I also can't seem to be summoned so it's hard to gain mass amounts of souls that would make further levelling possible right now. I might have to use some humanity and farm crafting materials so that I can maximize my current weapons. Would a Lightning Scimitar +14 be good? I didn't realize that it stopped scaling with DEX once I added lightning. Maybe fire would be a better choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom