• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC 1080p. Confirmed, like, for real.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Via Polygon's Michael McWhertor (via twitter)

Just watched From Software change the resolution of Dark Souls PC to 1080p. Game of show.

Okay, we can now scratch that off our doomsday port list.

Edit: Mr. McWhertor lays it bare in this very thread:

So, since I saw the game today, I'll mention what I got to see in terms of technical details.

Yes, you can change the resolution. I'll note that at E3 From was playing the game in a window at 720p. And there were frame rate issues. :\

There was a frame rate setting, which was set to 30 FPS. I didn't see them change this and I don't know if it was locked to 30 or not or what the other settings are.

There was also a setting for screen size (FULL/WINDOWED) and anti-aliasing (ON/OFF), but I didn't see these settings in action.

I only had 12 minutes to see it in action and interview a From producer, so there are still some unknowns. I'm doing what I can to confirm technical details, but From said they're bearing down on the PC port and there are still things in flux.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
yes it is.. However newer cards and monitors can eclipse that easily now.. I am however still on 1920x1200 myself.

soultron

Banned
If I was ever going to post a .gif in response, this would be it.

The new content looks off the fucking chain. Can't wait to play again on PC. Waiting for the DLC before I dive into NG+ on my 360 file.

Salsa

eh.. I really was expecting this and counting on it

I just need confirmation on it not being locked at 30fps.

A mistranslation gave the impression the resolution would be locked, and we do have some games that basically do this like Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It just scales to other resolutions rather than natively running at them.

Ah, ok, thanks. Well, good news, then.

Khal_B

That's pretty great, glad for the guys who can buy the game. GFWL regions locks many other people from buying it, unfortunately.

dani_dc

A mistranslation gave the impression the resolution would be locked, and we do have some games that basically do this like Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It just scales to other resolutions rather than natively running at them.

To be entirely fair, "Just watched From Software change the resolution of Dark Souls PC to 1080p. Game of show." does not in any way confirm that the game isn't simply upscaling the image.

Salsa

Yep. Confirm it runs at 60FPS and I'm back in.

Dont get me wrong, I would be in even if it ran on a 800x600 window. Im hyped as FUCK for this game. Played around with it on 360 (and Demon Souls before that on PS3) and it pushes all the right buttons. Im sure i'll love it.

Orayn

I don't understand this. There were reports of the game being resolution locked?

Painful misunderstanding. FROM said the "resolution wouldn't be higher," but they were talking about the textures rather than the actual rendering resolution of the game.

cj_iwakura

I just hope everyone respects that From are NOT experienced at PC development, like, at all.

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

You guys probably don't want to be reading that interview, because it's going to cause a real shitstorm when people do.

Eurogamer Interview said:
"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

Quick cash in, gg, Namco.

Ra1den

Sorry I'm clueless here, but since the original assets were not drawn at 1920X1080, wouldn't this be just an upscale, so to speak? Will it actually look better?
I know this is a stupid question

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

You guys probably don't want to be reading that interview, because it's going to cause a real shitstorm when people do.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.
"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

lol Blight town strikes again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Now we can just hope the framerate isn't locked.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
eh.. I really was expecting this and counting on it

I just need confirmation on it not being locked at 30fps.
Exactly how I felt. I thought 1080p was a given didn't know that it wasn't confirmed. I'm more disappointed in the 30fps lock. Really? We can't have standard 60 fps out the gate? We're gonna have to rely on modders to fix a port of a game before the ported game is released? Honestly probably gonna skip DS on PC until either a)60 fps confirmed or b) steam sale. I have it already on 360 and wanted to double dip to show support, but I won't show support on a half-assed port.

Sorry I'm clueless here, but since the original assets were not drawn at 1920X1080, wouldn't this be just an upscale, so to speak? Will it actually look better?
I know this is a stupid question

You're thinking of textures. Textures are drawn in their own resolution, and sometimes modders will do things like 'upscale' that(usually doesn't work that great). But this is screen resolution, and the screen doesn't care about how detailed the textures are(or even if they exist, for that matter). A higher resolution will make the screen sharper and less blurry, but it won't increase the detail on your helmet, for example.

Top Bottom