• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC 1080p. Confirmed, like, for real.

Has it even been officially said that the game would be locked at 30fps? Or is this like the locked resolution assumptions?

In an interview it was mentioned that the game "probably won't be 60fps". Whatever that means.

Many have taken to believing it means 30fps.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
So, since I saw the game today, I'll mention what I got to see in terms of technical details.

Yes, you can change the resolution. I'll note that at E3 From was playing the game in a window at 720p. And there were frame rate issues. :\

There was a frame rate setting, which was set to 30 FPS. I didn't see them change this and I don't know if it was locked to 30 or not or what the other settings are.

There was also a setting for screen size (FULL/WINDOWED) and anti-aliasing (ON/OFF), but I didn't see these settings in action.

I only had 12 minutes to see it in action and interview a From producer, so there are still some unknowns. I'm doing what I can to confirm technical details, but From said they're bearing down on the PC port and there are still things in flux.

LiK

So, since I saw the game today, I'll mention what I got to see in terms of technical details.

Yes, you can change the resolution. I'll note that at E3 From was playing the game in a window at 720p. And there were frame rate issues. :\

There was a frame rate setting, which was set to 30 FPS. I didn't see them change this and I don't know if it was locked to 30 or not or what the other settings are.

There was also a setting for screen size (FULL/WINDOWED) and anti-aliasing (ON/OFF), but I didn't see these settings in action.

I only had 12 minutes to see it in action and interview a From producer, so there are still some unknowns. I'm doing what I can to confirm technical details, but From said they're bearing down on the PC port and there are still things in flux.

did you see Blighttown? How was it? Please tell us!

Boogdud

Thanks for the first hand info. Sounds like a really shitty port. That's a real ball breaker. Can't wait to crumple into the fetal position when my i7 3770k + 680 GTX struggles to run it. Actually, unless I hear the performance is significantly improved I'm out. What a terrible engine.

Tain

Thanks. A frame rate setting would suggest that the game supports 60fps. See: Capcom's games, Ninja Blade.

This isn't a big surprise to me as, again, the game sometimes dips to lower-than-30-frames without entering slow motion, and not once was a 30 fps lock specifically mentioned by any of the developers in any interviews.

Eusis

In an interview it was mentioned that the game "probably won't be 60fps". Whatever that means.

Many have taken to believing it means 30fps.
I'm HOPING that just means "not even the highest end PC can take on Blighttown."

EDIT: Guess we get to choose framerate actually, so unless it's 15 or 30 we don't need to worry afterall! Until we hit Blighttown anyway.

Dylan

Praise the

21509977_1716329.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

maybe it was running on a shit gpu or an AMD one.

AA on and off..not types of AA and 2x 4x..ect

It's really a non issue since Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel is the way to go here anyway..but still lol@From

Geek

Ninny Prancer
maybe it was running on a shit gpu or an AMD one.

AA on and off..not types of AA and 2x 4x..ect

It's really a non issue since Nvidia Inspector/Control Panel is the way to go here anyway..but still lol@From
Oh... I forgot to mention it was running on some small form factor Origin PC. No idea what the specs were, but I imagine it was something Origin would be proud enough of to promote at E3.

ghibli99

joke question?

considering the game runs sub-HD on PS3/360, this is GREAT news.
I guess I'm in the so-called 'elitist' camp then. Hopefully 1920x1080 isn't the max and that other resolutions above this will be available. I know I'm not alone in saying that I want native or nothing at all. I'm not usually vocal about this stuff, but I just found it strange that people were so happy that it was 1920x1080 when PCs can do more, so I had to ask to see if this resolution was considered the generally accepted standard for PC gaming. Just needed a baseline really.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If this runs like shit then I am not in. I have some standards.

Eusis

If this runs like shit then I am not in. I have some standards.
How discriminating though? If it's just Blighttown I won't really care much, nor if it's just not QUITE as nice as I'd like, but if it's like SR2 that's unreasonably poor performing then yeah I'd be sympathetic.

How discriminating though? If it's just Blighttown I won't really care much, nor if it's just not QUITE as nice as I'd like, but if it's like SR2 that's unreasonably poor performing then yeah I'd be sympathetic.

If Blighttown is the exact same I won't bother with it and hope that there's some mod or other fix that takes care of it. I got to that point on the console version and couldn't take it so I never finished.

Dice

Well lets see, Skyrim looked absolutely fucking spectacular and with 4xSSAA it only dipped below 40fps for a couple places where you can see over all of Markarth. Most of the time it kept 45-60fps. With Batman I had to trade 4xSSAA for FXAA with spectacular lighting and shadows, which Skyrim doesn't exactly have, and got about the same performance.

These were two of the very best games last year so that probably helped me tolerate their relatively unstable framerates. With this game, I'm unsure of it to begin with in terms of whether or not I'd find it fun, the graphics don't seem particularly amazing, it might be compatible with some decent AA, and it's apparently a rather unforgiving game... yeah, I'm going to need some smooth gameplay.

rouken

what is this guys?

From Software underestimated the difficulty in porting Dark Souls to PC from VG247

Dark Souls developer From Software has expressed unforeseen difficulty in porting the title to PC, and has conceded that the PC version will be a straight console port, without any optimisation, as a result.

“To be completely honest, we’re having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC,” Producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer. “First we thought it would be a breeze, but it’s turned out not to be the case. We’re still developing right now – we’re crunching right now. ”

“In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it’s more strictly a port from the console version. We haven’t been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.”

edit: already posted. too bad for them, and those who will be double dipping. :(

Aaron

On a PC, raw power can overcome lack of optimization. I play LA Noire at 60FPS and that was a total shit port.

Dice

I don't know how good Capcom is at porting but their games are really easy to beast at 60fps.

Eusis

There is good news in that article for console players, at least: the DLC will come out the same day as the PC version.
Oh? Huh, seemed like it'd just be a PC timed exclusive, unless they give it to Europe earlier than the US (and Japan?). Well, I'll wait and see then, if they screw it up badly enough I'll just get the PS3 DLC, if they didn't I may just get the PC version unless it's $40, in which case the DLC comes first then the PC version on sale.
I'd worry about that chasing them from PC development but I imagine they'd want to try to avoid it in the future, unless these are just growing pains.

There is good news in that article for console players, at least: the DLC will come out the same day as the PC version.
I'm confused. From the same article:

The new content in question is the recently revealed DLC known as Artorias of the Abyssboth, coming PC and consoles later this year.

Then it says:

Artorias of the Abyssboth will come packaged with the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, due to release on August 24 for PC. Current Dark Souls owners will be able to purchase the new content from the same day for 1200 MS points on 360 or $14.99 on PS3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will release for console later in the year.

I guess I'm in the so-called 'elitist' camp then. Hopefully 1920x1080 isn't the max and that other resolutions above this will be available. I know I'm not alone in saying that I want native or nothing at all. I'm not usually vocal about this stuff, but I just found it strange that people were so happy that it was 1920x1080 when PCs can do more, so I had to ask to see if this resolution was considered the generally accepted standard for PC gaming. Just needed a baseline really.
what's the point in playing more when textures will be limited to probably even 720P? It's like try to play Q3 at 1080P cause it will look better than 720P; while the only thing that may look better will be being less jaggy which is solved by AA in lower resolutions anyway...

---
I just hope it doesn't end up with frame-rate issues; will be my second non-GoG game in over a year after Skyrim.

Eusis

what's the point in playing more when textures will be limited to probably even 720P? It's like try to play Q3 at 1080P cause it will look better than 720P; while the only thing that may look better will be being less jaggy which is solved by AA in lower resolutions anyway...
The point is that more often than not playing in the native resolution of a display (or borders to allow the game to run at it's actual resolution) is more often than not way, way nicer looking than at a lower one, DS games on 3DS or some Vita games (Uncharted and Hot Shots Golf come to mind) are very clear examples of this.

This doesn't really account for downsampling or people just being snobs about 1080p though, downsampling is a nice boost but I'd only care to use it on undemanding games like the Ys titles on Steam, not a game where Blighttown's probably going to wreck most machines even if it's coming out ahead of consoles.

Glass Rebel

Ugh, sounds terrible.

Is there a reason why they didn't just hire someone to port it? From probably trying to launch the next Souls game on next-gen and PC simultaneously?

The point is that more often than not playing in the native resolution of a display (or borders to allow the game to run at it's actual resolution) is more often than not way, way nicer looking than at a lower one, DS games on 3DS or some Vita games (Uncharted and Hot Shots Golf come to mind) are very clear examples of this.

This doesn't really account for downsampling or people just being snobs about 1080p though, downsampling is a nice boost but I'd only care to use it on undemanding games like the Ys titles on Steam, not a game where Blighttown's probably going to wreck most machines even if it's coming out ahead of consoles.
yes, that's quite understandable if you have a disp with res over 1080P which isn't very common and those that support it are big enough so playing at 1080P with bars would no problem.

However, saying that 'why are you content with 1080P, PC can do" when there's no point in doing more is one thing, and "my screen is higher res it will look blurry if it doesn't support it" are quite too different thing.

How can even FROM fix framerate issues that are because of weak console hardware? It's nothing you can "fix". With faster CPU and GPU PC version will autofix itself.

How can even FROM fix framerate issues that are because of weak console hardware? It's nothing you can "fix". With faster CPU and GPU PC version will autofix itself.
Not when you code is not optimized. People just over-simply this so much; GTA IV on PC is a glaring example of how important this is

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh, sounds terrible.

Is there a reason why they didn't just hire someone to port it? From probably trying to launch the next Souls game on next-gen and PC simultaneously?

Should've handballed the port to Nitro. They did an amazing job with Alan Wake.

Salsa

I appreciate their honesty, at least. Takes balls to say "we have no experience on this, we kinda screwed up so this is what you'll get". Prevents bad surprises I guess..

Aaron

Not when you code is not optimized. People just over-simply this so much; GTA IV on PC is a glaring example of how important this is
Like I said before, raw power will still crush lack of optimization, and a good gaming PC is insanely more powerful than PS3/360. GTA4 is butter smooth on my computer.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Like I said before, raw power will still crush lack of optimization, and a good gaming PC is insanely more powerful than PS3/360. GTA4 is butter smooth on my computer.

Bad code can make software run at 1-10% (or even worse) of the speed it would with good code and the right compilation options.

As a code exercise when I was in my sophomore year of college, we had to optimize some code to perform at least 40x faster. This wasn't some huge program. I don't even think it was 50 lines of code.

Minor code changes improved performance by 3-4x. I'm talking like 2 or 3 line changes here.

After those improvements, further 20-40x speed increases were obtained through using the right compilation settings. So you could easily end up with 150x improvement.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I appreciate their honesty, at least. Takes balls to say "we have no experience on this, we kinda screwed up so this is what you'll get". Prevents bad surprises I guess..
This is true. I appreciate too now that I think about it, butt it's still not an excuse to release anything that is sloppy. If anything, delay it until its ready. I signed the petition to have this come to PC but I won't just buy what's given to me as sloppy seconds. I've waited long enough for a port, I can wait a few extra months to ensure it's done right.

Top Bottom