• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC post-embargo impressions [30fps, locked 1024x720 internal framebuffer]

Durante

Eurogamer preview
Rock Paper Shotgun preview

I'm making this thread to warn people, in the hope that they can still cancel their preorders if they have any. Also new news new thread and all that.

According to various previews put up today, Dark Souls PC is
- locked at 30 FPS (bad enough on its own, but sadly not singularly incompetent)
- locked at a rendering resolution of 1024x720

darksouls_pc_grafik.jpg

This is completely, utterly unacceptable. It's a clusterfuck of epic proportions. It screams incompetence. Any halfway decent graphics programmer should have been able to fix this in half a week, given that the game runs on a multiplatform engine.

Modders may still mitigate (or even completely solve) this disaster, but for now I think everyone needs to be forewarned.

Kiyo

Posted this in the other thread but I'm not seeing this as that big of an issue. It's still the best version of the 3, its half the cost of the console versions, you can still add post-processing options via gfx card drivers, and mods/customization have the potential to make it better. It's not ideal for a PC game, but its still better then not having the game on PC at all.

If PC is the only way you can play this, or if you haven't played the console versions yet, then you should really get this game.

StuBurns

Banned
Locked at a native resolution? What the fuck.

30fps is fine I think, that game is super key frame animation heavy I believe, they may feel it's needed to keep it thirty.

Yikes, From claiming that they were fixing the resolution turned out to be not a mis-translation. Eurogamer preview confirms all this BTW, and also aforementioned Games for Windows Live.

For bonus points, it appears the PC options is output resolution (resolutions higher than 1024x720 will be simply upscaled), and turning on or off anti-aliasing and motion blur. That's it.

Alex

Posted this in the other thread but I'm not seeing this as that big of an issue. It's still the best version of the 3, its half the cost of the console versions, you can still add post-processing options via gfx card drivers, and mods/customization have the potential to make it better. It's not ideal for a PC game, but its still better then not having the game on PC at all.

I'm still getting it and all, and it'll still be the best version (by the virtues of a stable framerate and getting the DLC early) but this just isn't defensible, this is easily one of the worst PC ports we've seen in eons.

Kiyo

Some people seem confused, you can run this game in 1920x1080, its just that it will be upscaled. The resolution isn't locked, just the internal render of it is.

This is an incredibly shitty port yes, but you also got to admit that they've been pretty upfront about it. The initial interview said no 60 fps and no bump in resolution, so that's where I had my expectations and I'll keep my pre-order. I'm too hardcore about Demon's/Dark Souls to let new content and a smooth Blighttown slide.

Ledsen

If PC is the only way you can play this, or if you haven't played the console versions yet, then you should really get this game.

All of that stuff is liking putting cream on a shit sandwich. It's fundamentally broken on a basic level if you can't increase the rendering resolution. It's something unheard of in the history of PC gaming.

Some people seem confused, you can run this game in 1920x1080, its just that it will be upscaled. The resolution isn't locked, just the internal render of it is.

In PC gaming, those are ALWAYS, ALWAYS the same.

ZeroRay

This is a PC game, the setting and the native resolution should be the same.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I could complain, i could be raging at the seven seas and i could be asking for a refund, but since a friend of mine gifted it to me on Steam, i can't complain.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I really wish they did a better job porting this game to PC. It deserves better treatment than this.

With that said though, the game is still fucking fantastic and I would still recommend it. I'm also one of the few people that doesn't mind GFWL though.

Yeah, that's what running at 1024x768 means anyways. It will still look like 1024x768, despite actually being at 1920x1080.

I just dont get why namco was like: "hell yeah fromsoft, you take care of PC port, despite your 0% experience on the platform".

It's kinda amazing that people who could code for the ps3, considering the strange architecture, couldn't program it for something straightforward like PC.

Dascu

Not cancelling pre-order, but this sure is disappointing news. I hope some kind of tweaking of .ini files and whatnot might improve it.

Recall

Also I'm pretty sure we were all told not to expect a great port as its something they've rarely done before.

The modding community will figure it all out, why be on a PC if someone somewhere cant hack and mod the shit out of it.

Pooya

So looking at how the PC version kicks you from online if your framerate is low for a bit, and there are no real graphics options (resolution does nothing so it probably won't affect performance, AA looks like it's a horrible post-edge filter and turning motion blur on/off won't do much) and considering how bad the performance sounds from the previews I think some people will be forced to play offline :eek:

It runs the same as the console versions, at least it's not like Saints Row 2 which runs worse on PC. Now that is the most incompetent port of all time.

nasos_333

But the whole point was that on PC it could have super higher rendering resolution and would not need to upscale, like it was on a 6+ years console

Kritz

Banned
Man, what a disappointment. Scaling 720p games to 1080p looks atrocious. If I didn't hate myself I'd have already cancelled my preorder. As it stands, I'll probably just bitch and moan about it to people on the internet.

But I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there was a community fix for this in about 30 minutes after the game has gone live.

hym

Banned
I really hate the potential implications of this, there have to be a couple executives at each Publisher wrongly concluding again that PC is not worth it because only x% of all the people who signed the petition bought a copy, completely disregarding the quality of the port as usual or maybe not completely because most likely they too would only be interested in making some profit from a cheap port.

I can't believe I put off on buying the PS3 version for this...

Hopefully someone will be able to hack the game to get it to work at proper resolutions.

ittoryu

Meh, wasn't expecting anything different. They should have, probably, assigned this port to some outsource studio with experience on PC as From don't seem to have much.

Nothing unacceptable for me, still going to buy it, and the DLC on console too.

Well technically for Australians it is about double the cost...

Are there no videos of the game running yet? I held out on buying the ps3 version because I thought this was going to have a better framerate and resolution.

Just find a 720p youtube video and fullscreen it...

anddo0

$30 wasted. As I can not cancel my GMG pre-order. I wanted to support one of my favorite franchises. But this is downright disgraceful.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Entered thread knowing it was total hyperbole.

I leave with nothing having changed.

aeolist

Banned
OP should also add that the game will kick you out of your game and back to the menu if your framerate drops below 15fps for more than 30 seconds

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
$30 wasted. As I can not cancel my GMG pre-order. I wanted to support one of my favorite franchises. But this is downright disgraceful.

You haven't even played the damn game yet. At least try it.

OP should also add that the game will kick you out of your game and back to the menu if your framerate drops below 15fps for more than 30 seconds

This is a joke right?

Top Bottom