• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

chiablo

Like I said before, the game speeds up if you unlock it. Crazy double fast.

Phantasy Star Universe for the PC had this same issue, instead of dropping frames, it rendered all of them, so the game would slow down to half-speed at 15fps if there was a lot of stuff going on.

Isn't this Silly port still going to be the best version of the game? If Blight Town is 30 fps, it's worth it.
4i5qw.gif

His reasoning is right there. He is probably going to wait for the steam sale like the rest of us.

cube001

Wait wait wait wait wtf is going on? What did do Durante do?

Also got my key from GMG, but it still says preload.

He removed the 1024*768 resolution lock.

You mean Pre-Order right? cause the GMG version of the game doesn't preload yet.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
You're a wonderful person Durante. I'm tempted to preorder the game while I still can, but I know I won't have time for it.

Yeah, I want to reiterate that this isn't some super-genius level work. All that you need is reasonable familiarity with 3D rendering, the DirectX API, how to intercept .dll calls and some determination.

Of course you are right that everything could happen. But I consider this particular issue (sudden sever framedrops even on high-end hardware) rather unlikely. Rendering performance scales linearly (or better, since triangles occupy more pixels and/or the game may not be ROP/BW limited) with framebuffer size, almost without exception.

Depends on how much overdraw is going on... if there is enough overdraw increasing resolution does affect performance as fillrate starts to become an issue. Increased resolution results in more pixels being overdrawn. No idea what algorithms are being used for rendering, but there is a chance that increased res can infact affect performance.

Regardless I have faith that you did an awesome job. ;) Just minor technicalities.

Depends on how much overdraw is going on... if there is enough overdraw increasing resolution does affect performance as fillrate starts to become an issue. Increased resolution results in more pixels being overdrawn. No idea what algorithms are being used for rendering, but there is a chance that increased res can infact affect performance.

Yeah, what he said.

Soodes

Am I the only one getting this when I'm trying to checkout on GMG?

We are sorry, but there has been a network connection problem. Please try to checkout again. If the error persists, please contact our ZENDESK. We apologise for the inconvenience.

:(

Am I the only one getting this when I'm trying to checkout on GMG?

:(

I had this and had GMG reps work on the issue for several hours. I ended up creating another account to buy the game.

I had previously cancelled a Dark Souls order and then decided to buy today. Not sure if that made a difference.

They have no idea what is causing the glitch.

Soodes

I had this and had GMG reps work on the issue for several hours. I ended up creating another account to buy the game.

I had previously cancelled a Dark Souls order and then decided to buy today. Not sure if that made a difference.

They have no idea what is causing the glitch.

Yeah, same situation for me, they don't seem to like multiple copies of a game on one account. I'll try to create a new one, thanks!

"And yes, I am playing with an xbox controller, but even without it, the button hints are still xbox 360 icons."

Wait...what?

They were afraid that key prompts would have broke the game. Better safe than sorry. Honestly, though, leaving Xbox 360 prompts has happened in past PC ports.

Grief.exe

So for those that pre-ordered from GMG how did you get the preload to work?

My entry just says Dark Souls preorder and doesn't even link to the main Dark Souls Steam page, and once I am there doesn't say I even own that specific game.

When I go to my steam account information, the game is titled "Dark Souls Retail 3P"

Good job Durante by the way, I've missed so much today but I've just read the past 7 or so pages. Amazing work, this is why I love the PC community.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Cool news about the res change. Whenever the game unlocks I'll be testing it's performance on my three main setups, which are:

Core2Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
4GBDDR2
GTX 460 1GB
64-bit Win7

i5 2500k OCed @ 4.2GHz
8GBDDR3
GTX580 3GB
64-bit Win7

i7 2600K OCed @ 4.4GHz
16GBDDR3
GTX 690SLI 4GB
64-bit Win7

And I'll report back on what I find out, this should give enough people a good idea of performance across mid-top end systems. ;)

Edit: All have 120GB SSD's as the main OS drives.

Revenile

You know what? I'm going to take the optimist view on why From didn't do it, even though I KNOW it's probably bullshit and say the publisher mandated the console port to be as it is vanilla, nice work on the patch though, hopefully now we can stop all the bitching, and just enjoy the game.

Grief.exe: Apparently the GMG keys don't have preload enabled at this time, it's bullshit I know since steam buyers are obviously preloading, but best submit a steam support request or something.

Durante

Regardless I have faith that you did an awesome job. ;) Just minor technicalities.
Of course it affects performance! I must have been unclear. My point was that it shouldn't affect performance superlinearly. Thus, a modern PC should have no trouble rendering at 4x console resolution.

Top Bottom