• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Moving on, it seems Dark Souls on PC will not support any sort of user modification or editing – unlike, say, Skyrim with its creation kit. "Personally, I am interested in the concept of Mods," said Miyazaki. "However, due to our lack of experience with the PC we need more time to adapt to what PC gamers want from mods. So this time we're not doing it."

Remember when everyone was all "BUT-BUT-BUT THE INTENDED EXPERIENCE?!?!?!"

lol

Dark Souls 2 to have mod support semi confirmed?

2San

Are you asking if Remedy, the studio behind Max Payne, has PC experience? And yes, apparently their PC port of Alan Wake was quite well received.
No I was talking about From. :p
It's kind of amusing to me to see "Fuck Namco-Bandai!" in the Dark Souls thread and "Woo Namco-Bandai!" in the Tekken thread.
Well yeah, we do give credit when they deserve it. It's not like we are mindless haters?...right?

zkylon

zkylewd
There's no logical reason to make a 3D game in a locked resolution such as 720p. I just don't see that happening for any game ever. There's no real reason to lock the framerate at 30FPS either, but I can see the port team "forgetting" about that more easily.

I hope they back down on GFWL, though I'll probably buy it either way...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
lol, it looks like the console guys are not getting what they wanted either.

We need to rid the forum of all of the us vs them talk, or at least concerned with this particular game. Niche games of this nature rarely have a chance to make a crossover to another platform. I'm sure tons of people who purchased the console version were planning to buy the "superior" PC version before we knew the specifics. I know I was.

We need to work together in order to convince Namco and FS, that it is in their best interest to improve the fps and resolution and support Steam online play. It needs to be a unified message from both sides. The more the PC port sells the better it will be for all DS fans down the road.

Good to know we have totally different standards CONSIDERING each platform and that technical performance is not an issue, cause you'll play it anyway. Even though the PC can curb or better yet, resolve many of those issues.

I guess so? Nothing wrong with having different standards.

GAF again proves that there's a defense force for everything.

Nah, I just want to play the new content any way I can. If he had said "yes, it's coming to consoles," I'd just as readily get it there.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
To be honest from what I'm reading, it seems like it would be better off if the port job wasn't being handled by From Software (lol). Miyazaki seems really naive about PC game development, which is where most of the issues seem to be coming from I think, add in his very vague wording about it all too.

I'm still optimistic about it, I can deal with locked 30fps, and it's possible it might support Steamworks instead of GFWL (which I don't really care about anyway), and I highly doubt it will have a locked resolution of 720p, that seems impossible, no matter how botched up the port is.

Bandai Namco thanks you for supporting their lazy cash in port job. Maybe we'll let you have another lazy port job in the future for your support!
Doubtful, if this is a botched port, and it sells well enough for the sequels to come out on PC, I'm sure they'll take in account feedback to make it better this time around, especially if the next souls game is developed from the start with PC in mind.

Crub

They are really setting themself up for a backlash. I feel bad for them, as they don't seem to be aware of it.

The sentence "We will support the keyboard, but it will be minimal." to me implies they won't even support mouse! I understand if the controls are much better suited for a joypad, but that's like not even trying.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Alextended, good lord man, pull yourself together. The control comments......well......I can't say how wrong you are on that.

This is a half assed called in port minus the extra content at the bonus console res!

Why not just bundle in the frame drops too for that comfy couch cinematic experience!

epmode

Nah, I just want to play the new content any way I can. If he had said "yes, it's coming to consoles," I'd just as readily get it there.
Yes, it's coming to consoles. They're being vague to wring a few sales out of the worst port ever before releasing the console DLC.

There's no way in hell he's talking about a locked resolution (like, 1280x720). He MUST be talking about assets resolutions.

Since this is a 360 and PS3 game, the resolution of the assets used are probably at the resolution the consoles run the game at (720p), but the displaying resolution on a PC is just setting a variable - The videocard does all the muscle work. Even if the game has a fixed rendering resolution (madness), it would be trivial (technically) to change it on the .exe itself.

FPS, on the other hand, I can understand. If the engine uses hardcoded FPS counting (on frame 300 he's here, on frame 301 he's over there), it's very hard to run the game ad twice that and not mess up everything, unless you program around that, which doesn't seem they're going to do.

You can't really convince me that they'll lock down the rendering resolution of the game with any arguments. Only if it comes out and there's absolutely NO way (editing a .ini file counts) to change resolution.

I played final fantasy XIV, nothing will EVER surprise me about japanese incompetence when it comes to the PC Gaming space.

Those guys needed to be told on their beta forums via countless threads to turn on HARDWARE MOUSE because the software lag made KBM controls unplayable, literally unplayable.

Mechazawa

Yo. I'll be buying it regardless, in hopes that future Souls games get PC releases.

Second. No doubt in my mind that someones going to pick up th pieces with a resolution/framerate unlocker and I'm cool beans infinity with both Steamwork or GfWL, whatever they end up using. Although it wouldn't surprise me if unlocking the framerate makes the game buggier. Ninja Blade's animations would fuck up if you set it to 60.

Teknoman

720p, GWFL and 30fps lol. Japanese developers falling behind the times.

In this case, it would just be From...unless the Binary Domain port turns out crappy. About the game pad controls...honestly I saw that being the case from the start. Much like other games that got a port but werent first person (Darksiders, Assassins Creed, Dead Space). Of course I havent tried M/KB with Dead Space or RE5, so maybe I should wait before commenting on those.

Zeliard

They are really setting themself up for a backlash. I feel bad for them, as they don't seem to be aware of it.

The sentence "We will support the keyboard, but it will be minimal." to me implies they won't even support mouse! I understand if the controls are much better suited for a joypad, but that's like not even trying.

It's the same thing Ubisoft just said about AC3. Support for kb/m will still be there but the intended experience is to play it with a gamepad.

It feels like they are just fumbling around. I just wish they would step back for a second and realize this is going in a really really bad direction. I'm sure Namco won't be spending the money to reevaluate the project and take a second stab at it but that seems like the only way to save it from becoming an unprecedentedly bad port.

Swifty

Did Ninja Blade have a graphics option menu? I hope that at least could be a better barometer of how this port is gonna be.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Locked 720 and 30 fps ....

Will I be called "entitled" or "whiner" for complaining about this?

I think PC gamers have a right to complain about this. But man pretty much none of this is fazing me, because the game is just to good, that I'm going buy it either way, I'm just happy it's on PC, no matter how bad the port is.>_>

Derrick01

Banned
Locked 720 and 30 fps ....

Will I be called "entitled" or "whiner" for complaining about this?

Of course. You should just be happy you're getting a port at all! Even if we live in an age where the PC platform is supported by nearly everyone and most of the time with ports that are no worse than solid.

In this case, it would just be From...unless the Binary Domain port turns out crappy. About the game pad controls...honestly I saw that being the case from the start. Much like other games that got a port but werent first person (Darksiders, Assassins Creed, Dead Space). Of course I havent tried M/KB with Dead Space or RE5, so maybe I should wait before commenting on those.
Dead Space and RE5 are better with KB+M. Slightly easier maybe but better.

Yes, it's coming to consoles. They're being vague to wring a few sales out of the worst port ever before releasing the console DLC.

I hope you're right so that everyone gets to play it.

I just think I must have different priorities than a lot of other posters - and granted, I do very little PC gaming and haven't upgraded in some six years. But I'm much more excited to hear about what new gameplay mechanics might be introduced than how it looks or runs - which at the very worst will be the same as the console versions.

I'd be much more bummed to learn that coop won't be changed than that the frame rate won't be changed.
Any word on that?

matmanx1

I don't see this realistically being locked in both resolution and framerate. I can see the tweaking options being minimal but I think there's lots of outcry going on in this thread about some information that could easily be misconstrued. Why don't we wait until we can start seeing actual previews of the game in motion before we crucify Bandai and declare this a turd. That would at least be the logical thing to do.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They really sound scary unfamiliar with the PC as a platform, considering the game is SUPPOSED TO RELEASE IN FOUR MONTHS.

gogogow

I don't see this realistically being locked in both resolution and framerate. I can see the tweaking options being minimal but I think there's lots of outcry going on in this thread about some information that could easily be misconstrued. Why don't we wait until we can start seeing actual previews of the game in motion before we crucify Bandai and declare this a turd. That would at least be the logical thing to do.

I don't believe the resolution is being locked, perhaps he meant texture resolution? But locked 30fps happens every now and then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cry or smile? That's the real question :3

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly

Do you even have an interest in the PC version or at any point during this announcement?

Even with all of this it will still be better than the console version if only slightly. "Worst port ever" would mean the game would end up worse than the console versions. Much worse.

Eusis

Mods, again, not every PC only game is modable either. They would have been cool but it's not a mandatory feature for purchase for me. Especially when some of the modable games don't even get anything worthwhile as everyone just mods the popular stuff.
I'm not really sure anyone that's upset it's not being included here. Admittedly a lot of games get mod support that weren't intended for it anyway, so that's part of it, but I think enough games don't officially support it that few get really upset over it not being there unless a game practically demands it.

For everything else... I think the biggest problem here is how aggressively dismissive you are over other people's issues. Some of us wanted this version so we'd have a better running edition to some extent, and locking resolution is just about as low as you could possibly get. I'm hoping that at least gets addressed, there's real reasons to lock FPS and honestly it's less I wanted 60 FPS as that I wanted a GOOD FPS for Blighttown. Then there's controls, but honestly I think that's wait and see, personally I didn't expect mouse and keyboard to be that great anyway though.

Giran

So we're finally all but rid of GFWL and then there's this... man, I feel really sorry for From that they're met with negativity at every turn despite trying to do what their fans want, but this is really just ridiculous.

zlatko

Banned
Cry or smile? That's the real question :3

You'll buy it either way, because you are a glutton for punishment, but really this does sound like a shitty as hell port.

I was gonna double dip, but meh. Just wait to see if the extras come to console and just play it on there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yuuuuup, I'll buy it no matter how shitty this port is ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom