• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered checkerboard rendering is a good reminder that most console games really don't run at 1080p let alone 4k

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
xbox one x does true 4k

i think you meant to state that the ps4 "pro" is CB

Keihart

This video gives you a nice overview of checkerboard rendering, which is used almost universally in PS4 and Xbox One games. It's essentially this generation's interlacing. A ton of data is being lost every frame because games are just rendering half the data and filling in the gaps with information from the previous frame.

Here's a quotation from one of the developers in the video:

Wrong, data is being won, not totally accurate data mind you, but and approximation, but data is not lost.

This video gives you a nice overview of checkerboard rendering, which is used almost universally in PS4 and Xbox One games. It's essentially this generation's interlacing. A ton of data is being lost every frame because games are just rendering half the data and filling in the gaps with information from the previous frame.

Here's a quotation from one of the developers in the video:

Very Interesting video. I honestly think these dev's do amazing things with these low-powered consoles. I'm not gonna pretend like I knew most, if not all, of this gen's games were using checkerboard rendering. I'm also not going to pretend like I could tell that they were using that technique. When you give creative/smart ppl limitations they find ingenious ways of getting around those limitations. Bravo to these devs.

Keihart

come check out my lossy lossless format FRAC
Are you telling me that checkerboard is somehow compressing an already reendered 4K frame?
Wanna hear something crazy? down sampling makes you lose data and approximate pixels, the horror. Yet , it is more accurate than native and chekboard, wuuuut?!

Last edited:

Airola

So it turns out the big boys comparing sizes were measuring the length starting from their asshole all along.

Top Bottom