• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - Review Thread

Ok folks, I figured we'll just put up a new thread regarding reviews for Dark Souls, both versions. Most people may not read the original OT post at this point, which I have been updating with scores as I see them. So here is what I have so far (still updating throughout the day):

(Video reviews may contain SPOILERS)

4x5ozmz

9 / 9 / 9 / 10

4xp6gy7

90 / 90 / 95 / 95

5ufcxlk

9.5 - Video Review
"Review In Progress"

3by5jdj

9/10 - "Joyous, beautiful, bleak, lonely, hard as nails."

3nkcr42

5/5

3bfm9lm

9.0 - XBOX 360 / PS3

3s7vhkt

3gfrl7e

9/10

43evrea

9/10

4xyy7l5

4/5

3kldqqq

92%

3qorbko

8.0 (360 version reviewed)

429ga7n

5/5

66qsl88

68dmj8r

5uquq5d

90%

3dw4hfj

692jhku

89%

3lsv5tz

9/10 (Swedish)

6j3z7tl

9/10 (Spanish)

3jsplpe

18/20 (French)

3bhxnls

15/20 (French)

3deeb6a

4.5/5

3tdxsyt

5/5

6e8p846

6xefubr

A-

5spcjfv

7/10, 8/10 (Secon opinion) (Swedish)

695hrqd

6fhwfms

9.2 (Spanish)

6gelpba

4/5 (French)

6dlxeju

8.7 (Italian)
- More incoming​

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
One of the most critically acclaimed games of the year, as of this moment.

Feels good mang.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm certain in Kevin VanOrd review it, it'll be:

5ufcxlk

9.5/10

Clegg

GamesTM gave Demons Souls 10/10 last year.

I wonder why Dark Souls only gets 9/10.

Probably because its so similar to the former.

LiK

incredibly impressive. was worried about the bugs from jpn release but seems like it's fine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Man

Game of the Generation 2

Moofers said:
Fully expecting Edge to give it a 4/10 for shock value shenanigans.
They gave the first one a 9 and described it as 'revolutionary'.

Einbroch

Banned
Clegg said:
GamesTM gave Demons Souls 10/10 last year.

I wonder why Dark Souls only gets 9/10.
Demon's Souls was a new experience/franchise. This is a sequel to a new experience. 99% of the time the sequel to an innovative game gets a lower score.

Right or wrong, that's how it is. Of course, this game could also just be not as good.

Moofers said:
Fully expecting Edge to give it a 4/10 for shock value shenanigans.

no, they gave Demon's Souls a 9 so why would this be any different?

So far id give it a 9...the gripes are minor really but it really is a lot less forgiving than demon souls..

No publication is ready to openly lash out to this game.

It has too much gamer cache.

Not to say that it's not great, but that reviews are almost meaningless outside of helping bring new people in (which is obviously great).

Withnail

Edge like good games. Their review is a great read (but some minor spoilers).

RPG of the generation so far right here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
STRATEGY INFORMER, consider yourselves informed that Dark Soul's fans will descend upon you with the rage of a thousand Flamelurkers.

Labadal

Yoshichan said:
Unfortunately it's Pär Villner :( He gives everything 9+

This time his text actually matched his score. :) His reviews are usually not very helpful, but he actually does a good job with this one.

MikeE21286 said:
No publication is ready to openly lash out to this game.

It has too much gamer cache.

Not to say that it's not great, but that reviews are almost meaningless outside of helping bring new people in (which is obviously great).
There are plenty of games loved by core demographic for difficulty that get shat upon in review circles.

The Edge review at least indicates that the game isn't a glitchy mess.

Mercifully there's no encumbrance or inventory system meaning that you can carry a bunch of different weapon and armour sets to switch at any point you want.

Can't even stress how happy I am to hear this. I cannot stand encumbrance, in any game.

Pranay

Gamespot text review

The Good

A gorgeous and frightening world you won't want to leave
Abundant, amazing bosses test your skill and determination
Superb combat in which every attack feels powerful and precise
Fantastic online aspect lets players both cooperate and compete
Covenant system and other features lead to constant surprises.

The Bad

Frame rate gets choppy in certain areas
Finicky target lock.

http://asia.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/dark-souls/review.html?tag=summary;read-review

Door2Dawn said:
Honestly this game looks really boring to me. I'm not sure what to think. :/

I'd recommend watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. It did the game a world of justice in my eyes, I thought it looked pretty dull until watching that.

Curufinwe

thuway said:
To think, Sony let this go.

It wasn't worth it to them to pay to keep it exclusive, and now more gamers get to experience the specialness of the Souls series. It's a good thing all round.

Orayn

Door2Dawn said:
Honestly this game looks really boring to me. I'm not sure what to think. :/
It's not really an in-your-face exciting kind of game. There's lots of plodding, purposeful exploration and combat, with a constant sense of tension and the knowledge it's not going to pull any punches if you screw up. The tricky, foreboding nature of the gameplay makes victory all the sweeter, though, since you win through grit and quick thinking, rather than mashing the awesome button in the general direction of bad guys.

MechaX

I'm delighted. Xenoblade actually has some competition for the best JRPG this year (in Europe, at least).

Top Bottom