• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls series tops 8 million copies shipped (940K Japan, 7M+ abroad)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

Here's the breakdown. I believe the left column is Japan and the right column is overseas.

l_5591551900861crabc.jpg

SteamSpy lists for each entry:

Dark Souls 1:
Owners: 1,942,592 ± 32,697

Dark Souls 2:
Owners: 976,458 ± 23,228

Dark Souls 2: Dark Souls Harder:
Owners: 248,659 ± 11,739

ViciousDS

Banned
it hasn't even hit a million in Japan total? ouch, that's brutal.....is it too hard for them? I remember that survey for FFXV and they said that the Duscae Demo was too hard....would loved it, if they had released a similar survey for this game in Japan haha.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dark Souls 1 at least also wasn't SteamWorks at first so it's possible there's some missing off SteamSpy there.

hawk2025

Wow.

PC is nearly 50% of their market for the two DS games. Amazing. The community has really embraced the game.

Let's be real, From/Namco should cut Durante a huge, HUGE check for letting the game gain traction back when the first one released. I seriously wonder if it would have caught fire with the way it was released, but perhaps I overstate how much the average PC gamer cares about this stuff.

BadWolf

It's unfortunate for them that they can't release Demon's and Bloodborne on PC considering the sales of the series there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see Scholar of the First Sin did pretty well. Bring on more Dark Souls!

Wereroku

It's unfortunate for them that they can't release Demon's and Bloodborne on PC considering the sales of the series there.
Why those games are pure profit with dark souls they had to use their own funds. Really demons and bloodborne are more like dev games that help them develop new engines.

lcap

Kinda disappointed by Dark Souls 2: SOTFS performance, looks like it didn't sell very well for a remaster, or am I just expecting too high for it?

DSFix undoubtedly had a huge impact on the reception of the game on PC. There are few mods that I can think of that are so widely used, at least, when it comes to people discussing the game online. Without it, the poor port situation could have tanked the series with the first game on the PC platform.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Considering we are getting dark souls type game yearly now how isnt it being milked like cod ?

Ok so im guessing many will say yea but dark souls 3 has had over 2 year dev time ? So has the new call of duty

Bruno MB

It's amusing to see how the biggest Dark Souls fanbase is on PC. No one would have anticipated that when that rushed Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition port was released 3 years ago.

Pooya

I'm sure they were very much aware of that when they signed the contract.

Actually from what they've said about when bloodborne talks started, right before they finished Artorias, they probably didn't know what kind of sales to expect from a PC release.

Undeserved, imo.

Threadshitting on GAF's most beloved franchise during your first month here, what could possibly go wrong? :D

Kind of absurd how little it sold in Japan proper. Less than a million for the whole franchise? o_O

The Japanese lifestyle doesn't lend itself well to generating as many hardcore gamers as the west, paradoxically enough. Most of Japan's gamers have moved on to mobile, sadly. :/

Kind of absurd how little it sold in Japan proper. Less than a million for the whole franchise? o_O
You gotta remember how few people play on consoles now a days.

No joke Dark Souls would have made more money, only in Japan mind you, as an arcade or mobile game.

Oh God imagine a Dark Souls arcade game, haha.

Stealth edit: Off topic but, why was SteamyPunk juniored?

Top Bottom