• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark1x of Digital Foundry says that he noticed a odd trend of a few games starting to perform better on PS4 Pro than Xbox One X

onQ123

Comments made in the Anthem thread on the other forum .

g1D95Y.jpg

DrqZ3v.jpg

Now that I think about it... I've read some comments that Ace Combat 7 on the One X runs terrible compared to the Pro... I don't even want to know how the base Xbox One compares to the PS4 but I'm guessing it runs like hot trash.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Could it also be that they're trying to push more pixels in the sacrifice of performance due to the same old struggling to keep up Jaguar cores?

I mean, both Pro and X owners complain about them pushing more pixels while sacrificing some performance, and had been clamoring for more options to dial down that aspect for better framerates.

The GPUs in both can do far more than the CPUs can handle, that is no mystery. I think it's some developers focusing too much on what power is in the GPU and neglecting the performance of the struggling Jaguar.

Last edited:

FranXico

Like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma mentioned, devs are probably prioritizing resolution on the X, while optimizing for performance on the Pro (because it often can't run the game at native 4K anyway).

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
But he even said in the Ace Combat video that it was probably due to the optimizations for VR that it ran better.

Last edited:

Three

Could it also be that they're trying to push more pixels in the sacrifice of performance due to the same old struggling to keep up Jaguar cores?

I mean, both Pro and X owners complain about them pushing more pixels while sacrificing some performance, and had been clamoring for more options to dial down that aspect for better framerates.

The GPUs in both can do far more than the CPUs can handle, that is no mystery. I think it's some developers focusing too much on what power is in the GPU and neglecting the performance of the struggling Jaguar.
The games mentioned, Ace Combat 7 for example runs at the same res on the XB1X and PS4Pro but performs better on the pro. That's what makes these results strange.

Last edited:

onQ123

I haven't came across any article/Tweets of sorts, it's not unheard of but at the same time someone would have been outspoken of their gains.

I'm just saying we did have a FW update that didn't do much on the user end , maybe it freed up some resources for the devs.

Shin

Banned
Beside the GPU XO's CPU is clocked higher, at 2.3GHz so could be something else altogether.

I'm just saying we did have a FW update that didn't do much on the user end , maybe it freed up some resources for the devs.
Uhh user FW and SDK firmware should be different and not to be compared I think.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The games mentioned, Ace Combat 7 for example runs at the same res on the XB1X and PS4Pro but performs better on the pro. That's what makes these results strange.

If it's the games in context, and not overall, then I think it what's mentioned above, optimizations for VR.

The recent DF Anthem demo shows the Pro performing better than the X at the moment as well. Now that may change for final, but pushing more pixels even if both are checkerboard I'm sure is having an impact with them Jaguar cores, especially in Frostbite.

ethomaz

Banned
There is a reason...

The push of 4k in hardware not optimal for that.

Seems like devs are demanded to push the max in resolution they could on X instead to focus o. Performance.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Only thing that comes to mind is the OS the systems run on and Linux gaining more traction that's making the difference.
Vulcan and before that Valve used to put out performance differences between Directx and Linux with the latter performing better.
Considering that PS3 was also running on FreeBSD and now PS4, maybe it has something to do with that, not sure what else it could be this late in the generation.
Either way it's a interesting development nonetheless and one of the less crazier threads I've read today :p

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Honestly any X enhanced game that doesn't come with resolution and capped frame rate options should be considered half assed.

FZW

My point is, if VR requirements is what is forcing you to properly optimize the game then something is seriously wrong with their approach to making a decent product. Every game should be properly optimized and Sony or MS shouldnt have to force you to do it.

Fake

Maybe the API? Is Xbox One X using a custom version of directx 12 or even himself? Directx 12 its not making 'that' difference on PC... at least in the sa.e degree Microsoft PR propouse. Or they spend more dev time with PS4 machine than Xbox inself.
Who knows... Its a shame John expend more time in the other forum. After beat KH3 I finally watched his video about KH3 console perfomance. The caribian world have one scene with the worst perfomance scenario of the entire game I ever see. Hope I can share this with him.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You’re not dealing with the same kind of constraints as say the power difference of a PS4 versus an Xbox one when it comes to the difference between a Pro and an X. The PS4 has better things that help it in much better ways, which is why games pushed for a higher resolution on PS4 over one, even though power wise, the one could have in theory delivered. It wasn’t designed right from the start and lacked in a few key areas, notably bandwidth with memory. Remember how in the 360 days you essentially got 2x AA for free in certai cases?

Anyway, the battle of Pro and X is different. They are, essentially, the same thing. The pro has fp16 yes, let’s get it out the way, and also get it out of the way that it’s never going to be used effectively so why bother bringing it up, to be fair. People like TLW will have you believe it’s the god send saving grace but at most with any developer you’re looking at tiny gains in realworld situations.

But the machines are the same... except for raw power. The x can simply push more raw power than the pro. There should be NEVER a situation where if both consoles outputted the same resolution and settings, the pro should win. Ever. If it does, that’s lazy programming.

However, what’s happening here, is that the higher your resolution is, the bigger the hit to frame rate. Once you increase resolution, you also increase the COST of asset rendering. Fillrate cost goes up dramatically, screen space effects cost is increase, post processing, anti aliasing etc, it all goes up. So what devs think is they go “oh this is performing lovey st 1440p on Pro, let’s whack it up to 4k o x” and then stop caring... when in truth, that’s a recipe for disaster.

So in Athems case, yeah the pro will run it better, at reduced visual settings. But under visual parity the X would win in a heart beat. They should simply lower the resolution from 4k down to higher than Pro But not 4k level. Then you would see much more stable frame rates.

But of course, any second now TLW will barge in and tell us all it’s because the Pro is delivered by the god that is Verny, and the x is actually half the speed, or something...

In short, it’s just stupid devs making stupid decisions because the Pro and the X really are not a priority for them.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The Japanese devs spent more time optimising the Japanese console.
Economically makes sense as well. Why spend time optimising for xbx when most of the games will be sold on PlayStation?

Freeman76

Devs dont use the extra power of the X enough, which is a shame. On paper it should be a decent boost in performance over the pro, but clearly it isnt being utilised enough.

Sparda

Banned
That's when you don't you have sufficient install base. Devolopers don't put the right effort in this version of the game.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sadly, and thankfully, yes. Whereas the pro can render only st 1080p, this gaining a lot of resources.

I prefer the higher res supersampling myself, even if I do own a 4k set. But choices and options are what’s missing.

TacosNSalsa

Sadly, and thankfully, yes. Whereas the pro can render only st 1080p, this gaining a lot of resources.

I prefer the higher res supersampling myself, even if I do own a 4k set. But choices and options are what’s missing.
If you could just turn of supersampling and have it render at 1080p maybe that would help. Ugh it seems like something so simple (if that is actually it)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Raw hardware power does not always translate into graphical gains. There is much dependence on toolchains, software and developer compromises. We're happy to have source bias brought into question but you need to back it up with proper evidence. Thanks!
oh no!!! but i thought the XB1X was the most powerful console in the world!!?!! it was WAY more powerful than the PS4 Pro!!

honestly i'm surprised of all people that it's Digital Foundry saying this...they are the biggest Xbox fanboys going. They aren't interested in PS4 or PC...it's all about the XB1X for them.

and if you think i'm a PS4 fanboi....both consoles suck :)

Last edited:

Meh3D

Someone should start a thread on the topic of DarkX1’s choice of lunch. “Its not Taco Bell... XBox One X must be in trouble.”

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’ve never found any of the digital foundry guys to be biased towards anything other than “good stuff”. They tell the truth, they like stuff that’s built well and works well. You can sit on whatever side of the fence you like of the pointless console war, but if you really don’t think the Pro is built poorly and the X is built very damn well, then that does show a lot more about you as a person and your intellect, to be fair.

Not once have I heard John or anybody for that matter gush about any specific platform that’s current. Sure they act like fanboys over retro stuff, and damn good too, because who doesn’t.

Stop turning everything into some war, so big battle that has to be won. There are multiple plastic boxes and each one does things well and each one sucks in other areas. If you can’t deal with that, then... I feel bad for you.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I imagine this comes down to little resources for the ProX consoles, Sony getting priority due to audience and user base and lastly how similar it is to the stock PS4 vs how different the X1X is to the stock XB1.
The X1X just takes more resources to optimize.

Though that begs the question, why is the game less optimized for the XB1 X than for the PS4 Pro?

I’m thinking because developers are so quickie-port happy with multiplatform games, that they rarely properly optimize games to run and look their best on each system. I know it’s generally time consuming and even more expensive, but it would be great if developers actually took the time to take advantage of systems architecture with multiplatform games.

Top Bottom