• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark_AleX Returning for the PS4?

Schrade

The Z on Twitter is teasing about some interesting news coming up. He'll be posting the news on http://wololo.net/

https://twitter.com/The_Zett/status/406160217492049920
Twitter%2520_%2520The_Zett_%2520My%2520next%2520news%2520%2540frwololo_s%2520place%2520...%2520-%25202013-11-28_13.46.41.png

He also posted a hint about the news:

https://twitter.com/The_Zett/status/406161552329306112
Twitter%2520_%2520The_Zett_%2520A%2520little%2520hint%2520%253B%2529%2520...%2520-%25202013-11-28_13.43.33.png

Someone responding to the tweet mentioned that Dark_AleX's website got updated with the PS4 images and a site title change. (Dark-Alex.org, Welcome To PS4 Scene)

http://dark-alex.org/
Dark-Alex.Org%2520%252CWelcome%2520To%2520PS4%2520Scene%2520-%25202013-11-28_13.19.52.png

This could get pretty interesting! For those that don't know, Dark_AleX pretty much made the most revolutionary Custom Firmware for the PSP among other things.

Note: Please do not post blanket accusations that custom firmware and homebrew = piracy. We don't yet know what is coming up but if Dark_AleX is getting involved in it, it is most likely something useful.

From what I've been hearing, each PS4 disc has a unique ID per disc. Which would prevent them from playing in two consoles at once. Of course this is a rumor until some hacker confirms it. So piracy may be a ways off, but some homebrew would be nice. That being said piracy offline could happen.

N64 emulator, PLEASE!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wow. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

From what I've been hearing, each PS4 disc has a unique ID per disc. Which would prevent them from playing in two consoles at once. Of course this is a rumor until some hacker confirms it. So piracy may be a ways off, but some homebrew would be nice. That being said piracy offline could happen.

N64 emulator, PLEASE!

Impossible since internet isn't required.

N64 emulator, PLEASE!

What good would a unique ID do if you're on an offline PS4?

Speaking of Playstation hackers, whatever happened to Geohot? Last I know he was in big legal trouble with Sony and left the country.

Eusis

TWIST: It's not a traditional CFW, but rather installing other OSes on it.

ENJOY YOUR CHEAP-ISH WINDOWS GAMING PC.

BadRNG

There was a time when this would of excited me, but it's so hard to justify hacking modern consoles for me. Online features, especially with PS+ on Sony, are too important now. I guess Valve was right in their service philosophy to combat piracy, it definitely worked on me.

Using an emulator with vita's remoteplay would be really neat though. I can't think of any homebrew I'd be interested in besides that, but it's always cool to see what new things these communities think up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
can't these hacker focus on the region locked systems (Wii U/3DS) and region-free them and make them less limited instead of systems that don't really need hacking?

KemoSabe

can't these hacker focus on the region locked systems (Wii U/3DS) and region-free them and make them less limited instead of systems that don't really need hacking?
this. (im looking at you 3ds...)

besides, i wonder what dark alex has to offer?
is not even out in europe and its already hacked???

Darknight

This isnt good news for Sony.

Dark_Alex is a legend that went AWOL for a while. Him being back is a double edge sword.

Also emulators on PS4 seems kinda cool IF you can stream still...lol. Imagine doing a SMB rom hack (Kaizo i think) live stream! lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking of Playstation hackers, whatever happened to Geohot? Last I know he was in big legal trouble with Sony and left the country.
That guy got an actual programming job for Facebook iirc.
Yep, and he also settled with Sony:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-12-geohot-sony-settlement-details-leak

Seeing as the PS4 is as near to a PC as...well, a PC, what's the fuckin' point?
Glory to hack it first is usually one part of it.

Iacobellis

HOLY SHIT! I remember having 3.40 OE-A on my PSP-1000 because of this guy. Fucking remarkable work he did over the years.

Eusis

Yeah, alternative OS hijinks aside I really don't want the path to piracy opened up, especially this soon. That's just egg both Sony and Microsoft on to do always online DRM crap that we protested in the first place if they can't feel confident enough about keeping a closed box secure. :/

BadRNG

3DS has been hacked, still going the flashcart route ala DS but it's been hacked. Region free is now possible already.

There's supposed to be a big update soon that will let you emulate your system's nand to allow you to update to new versions, so you can use retail flash carts for higher firmware games as well as Eshop and the like.

I'm sure Wii U will be too in time. There's plenty of people working on it, and like I said it's pretty much always just a matter of time.

Vooduu

Not sure why the idea of tinkering with, exploring, and expanding the possibilities of a system is so upsetting to you. It's not just about piracy.

No, my post wasn't meant to be upsetting. Just questioning what more could be done with the PS4. I find the console, other than the lack of UI customization, fine.

Espada

Damn, this is bad news for Sony. Especially if piracy is easy as hell on the console.

Now that I think about it, this is bad news for us in general. The console manufacturers and publishers will point to this as justification for locking things down and making things more onerous for paying customers.

Top Bottom