• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon 2 releases May 8th, 2023 on Steam and EGS

Bartski

Gold Member
After a year in early access, Darkest Dungeon 2 v1.0 drops on 8th of May for PC (Steam and EGS)

via

"

We are excited to announce that Darkest Dungeon II will complete its Early Access run on the Epic Games Store and release in 1.0 on Epic and Steam on May 8. All of us at Red Hook cannot wait to get the PC 1.0 version into your hands. Until then, we have a few major updates to undertake before our May 8th release, including a big one VERY soon.

In the meantime, you can check out a free demo we’re releasing today on Epic and Steam for the duration of Steam Next Fest (February 6-13).

The demo will allow you to test the mettle of the four starting heroes through one full region, challenging them to contend with distinct enemy factions and the rigors of survival.

You’ll be able to explore either Sprawl (city) or the Foetor (farms). Please note that no progression will be saved between expeditions in the demo. You’ll have until the end of Next Fest (February 13th at 10am PT) to download and play!

We’ll also be supporting this exciting event with livestreams on Steam featuring members of the Red Hook team!

dd2-snf-2streamschedule-1080.jpg

Our livestream schedule:

February 7th at 11am PT: Sit down for a Q&A with Creative Director Chris Bourassa and Design Director Tyler Sigman. They’ll be taking your questions on all things Darkest Dungeon II!

February 8th at 1pm PT: Darkest Dungeon II Gameplay livestream! Meet members of the Red Hook team and see what’s in store on this roguelike road trip of the damned!

"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
such a different game but beat it on day 1 and cant wait to finish it now that its close to being a finished game

Bartski

Gold Member
such a different game but beat it on day 1 and cant wait to finish it now that its close to being a finished game
I played over 30 hours of the first early access release. They've been tweaking core systems a lot since then but I decided not to touch it waiting for the full game. Can't wait!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The sequel takes the gameplay in a different direction. To me it is more akin to a rogue-like and the loop seems to last about 3 to 5 hours. At least in the early access builds I have been playing.

Also a huge fan of their art style, I think it is even better in the second game.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The sequel takes the gameplay in a different direction. To me it is more akin to a rogue-like and the loop seems to last about 3 to 5 hours. At least in the early access builds I have been playing.

Also a huge fan of their art style, I think it is even better in the second game.
Some returning characters and turn-based combat mechanics but yeah it's a completely different game than DD1. Art style is incredible, I loved early access and I'm jumping in day one on this.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What in the hell is with that graphic. . .is there LITERALLY one new character class?

Not touching it until the modding community adds the Crusader.

What in the hell you're right. And where's the Houndmaster or the Arbalest? I heard that your team "bonds" in this game and is more character focused so maybe that's why we're getting less than what the first had. Very, very interested to see reviews on this one. . .

Bullets-hurt

Neo Member
Been waiting for the full thing to fully dive in. Have played a bit here and there but it's always so hard to fully commit to early access with the knowledge that it will just be a better experience if I wait.

Loved the changes I noticed when I played about a week ago. Looking very much forward to full release.

Holy crap that was one hell of an atmospheric demo. Art direction, sound and music all on point. Not a big fan of roguelikes but I'll make an exception for this one.

Bartski

Gold Member

Launch Trailer

I heard the development has been quite troubled and a lot of people playing the early access weren't feeling it. Anyone up to speed?

I played a ton of the early access and I loved it, not sure how it was troubled just constantly updated taking in player feedback. There is a ton of new systems they built on top the earliest version I haven't seen yet as I decided not to play those updates till the full release. Looks absolutely great imo and I can't wait to jump back in on Monday.

ng7Nrgr.jpg

niilokin

Looks interesting, never played the first one. The characters in first game looked like children. Digging the Mignola -esque art style

Last edited:
I played a ton of the early access and I loved it, not sure how it was troubled just constantly updated taking in player feedback. There is a ton of new systems they built on top the earliest version I haven't seen yet as I decided not to play those updates till the full release. Looks absolutely great imo and I can't wait to jump back in on Monday.
That's awesome. I'm getting it because I just love the original game so much but a lot of comments I've heard over the months were that the genre switch wasn't coming together. Great to hear positive experiences with the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
That's awesome. I'm getting it because I just love the original game so much but a lot of comments I've heard over the months were that the genre switch wasn't coming together. Great to hear positive experiences with the game.
well, it's a completely different game than the original so many people just hate that in principle. I only played the very first version of early access where the relationship system was a bit annoying. They reworked it later, same goes for trinkets, balancing - there were some game-breaking OP setups possible which I guess they nerfed, added multiple ways to make things more challenging... And created an additional progression system on top.

I guess this is one of those 'easy to learn, hard to master' games? What are the key differences between the first and this one?

Corian33

Glad they’re doing a demo, will check that out for sure. I loved the first game until I hit the grind and decided it wasn’t for me. Respect that they’re doing a complete revamp of the game instead of the safe sequel.

Fools idol

Banned
well the game is out, I guess not popular enough for an OT so...

it's really good! I have put in about 10 hours so far.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some gamers take great offense when devs decide to release their game, or in this case EA, exclusively on EGS, to such an extent as to wish the worst towards the devs and the game to fail.

I don't want the game to fail and also think that criticism surrounding leaving STEAM behind to take the Epic bucks was a bad community move. Likely made sense for them financially, but I can see why people were annoyed with having to either invest money into a platform they don't want to stay on (Epic) or wait a year and whatever to play the game. Like DD1 was one of those OG "Early Access" success stories and a lot of it was down to the community (including the Workshop) that built up around it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I don't want the game to fail and also think that criticism surrounding leaving STEAM behind to take the Epic bucks was a bad community move. Likely made sense for them financially, but I can see why people were annoyed with having to either invest money into a platform they don't want to stay on (Epic) or wait a year and whatever to play the game. Like DD1 was one of those OG "Early Access" success stories and a lot of it was down to the community (including the Workshop) that built up around it.
It's on Steam. I looked it up on my Steam Deck last night.

hlm666

Some gamers take great offense when devs decide to release their game, or in this case EA, exclusively on EGS, to such an extent as to wish the worst towards the devs and the game to fail.
As if they deserve full price after shitting on the community that made the game great.

Fucking lmao these devs.
Ok I kind of get it, I probably wouldn't have wished the game to fail but I can see why the post I originally replied to was a bit frustrated if they were into the first game.

Luipadre

40 euro is a bit steep for me but im gonna pick this up later on a discount. Also how come you cant find a cheaper key on key sites for this game?

Top Bottom