• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 3 release date of Nov 27th; $400 CE announced

DryvBy

*Glitch is no longer glitched*

=====================
Pre-order up ($47.99 on Amazon)

As I put in the title, this title finally has a release date of Nov 27th! If you're not familiar with Darksiders, they're action-RPG adventures based on Armageddon.

And also there's this really pricey collector's edition:

DhrRb-DVMAEPly9.jpg

More info: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07...ate-collectors-editions-announced-a-ign-first

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I kind of want to try the glitch, but I don’t want to end up with just the first two games for $40 if they remove the third one eventually.

Who is going to pay $400 for a CE !?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Didn't know there was anybody who liked the series enough to pay 400 bucks for a CE.

Redshirt

Banned
I've never liked any game enough to pay $400 for a CE!

I'm looking forward to Darksiders 3, and it's launching day-and-date on GOG.

I think this is what I'll be playing in December unless Biomutant is out then.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
$400? What are they, fuckin' insane?! Religion does not allow to sell each figure separately for those interested?

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
LOL $400?! Get bent THQ Nordic. Nobody cares about Darksiders that much.

Is this even supposed to be a worthy follow up to average games that came before it? I remember that alpha footage from last year when the game was first announced but it didn't look great and I haven't heard a thing since.

A November release is a death sentence for this IMO

Ar¢tos

I can see something like a good God of War CE or something in the line of the Japanese "souls" CE selling for 400$, but a sequel nobody asked for of a meh game? 200 would already be too much.

For $400 i better be getting a BJ.

You can get those for much cheaper...

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
How much do they honestly expect to sell for 400 each. 10? 50? 100? 500? 1000?

No jokes be serious. How many?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can imagine if I worked for this company or had some impact in the community to make this game happen. But for someone who budgets monthly for their games; how do they expect someone to pay that much for a character that isn't exactly the next Tifa, Lara Croft, or Yuna.

I guess if this is your life's work then you'd be thrilled to see a fan spend that much. I can't imagine how many preorders this gets. I'd rather get 6 or more games for that price.

This is the kind of thing you see in those behind the scenes of IGN or GameSpot, sitting on the shelf, as some special press event gift they received for their office.

I like the game characters and all, but the new character isn't exactly my favorite.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wait, the game comes out this year? And all we have seen is still that unfinished looking gameplay that IGN got to show several months ago?
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I mean, I know something like Red Dead 2 could technically show no gameplay at all before release and it would probably still do fine. But Darksiders 3?

The SE just looks like something they made to get headlines and not really something they expect to sell in any sort of large numbers

xviper

the gameplay doesn't look so good, feels like a huge downgrade from the first two games

i hope they don't make the same mistake as DS2, we don't want repetitive puzzles, we don't want Diablo loot system and we don't want bosses without strategies to kill, we want a sequel to the First game which was the perfect Zelda-like game

Even my Titanfall CE didn't cost this much and that thing is impressive! a giant light up Atlas statue with friendly and enemy pilots all over it. Theres no way I can see many people pre-ordering this thing.

I can imagine if I worked for this company or had some impact in the community to make this game happen. But for someone who budgets monthly for their games; how do they expect someone to pay that much for a character that isn't exactly the next Tifa, Lara Croft, or Yuna.

I guess if this is your life's work then you'd be thrilled to see a fan spend that much. I can't imagine how many preorders this gets. I'd rather get 6 or more games for that price.

This is the kind of thing you see in those behind the scenes of IGN or GameSpot, sitting on the shelf, as some special press event gift they received for their office.

I like the game characters and all, but the new character isn't exactly my favorite.
It does have War, Death(you could buy his statue standalone and its two years old), and Vulgrim and not just Fury. There's a collectors edition with Fury and that should be around $150(my estimate at least). This is the apocalypse edition that's $400

-MD-

Hmmmm, Valkyria Chronicles 4 was the only other 2018 game I was gonna day 1 but I might have to support this one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$5 cat helmet incoming.

Neolombax

It hurts me to say this but the gameplay looks very weak. I'm a huge Darksiders fan, but even with their latest video on IGN, its not looking very good. Alas, I'll probably end up buying the game anyway because I want to support the franchise.

The Skull

It hurts me to say this but the gameplay looks very weak. I'm a huge Darksiders fan, but even with their latest video on IGN, its not looking very good. Alas, I'll probably end up buying the game anyway because I want to support the franchise.

I have to agree. The whip doesn't looking particularly satisfying, although I desperately want a game set after the end of the first Darksiders, with all four horseman. I'll be buying this 100%.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The whip seems to be short range and feels completely off. They could have just copied the Bloodborne whip and called it a day. Also did they change how she looks or I am just remembering things wrong?

The Skull

The whip seems to be short range and feels completely off. They could have just copied the Bloodborne whip and called it a day. Also did they change how she looks or I am just remembering things wrong?

More than likely the visuals have been polished as development has progressed. I think her design has been more refined than changed, but it looks good. Hoping for multiple variants of the whip though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
More than likely the visuals have been polished as development has progressed. I think her design has been more refined than changed, but it looks good. Hoping for multiple variants of the whip though.
I always wanted her as an MC since the first game but I'm not convinced with the gameplay they've showed us.

Caffeine

I feel like fury should be a faster character. the gameplay that was shown was very slow.

Last edited:

The Skull

I always wanted her as an MC since the first game but I'm not convinced with the gameplay they've showed us.

Yeah it doesn't appear to be as refined or improved as I'd hoped. I'm sure it will be serviceable but nothing amazing. Hoping to be proved wrong though. Having said that, I'l be getting this on release day. Despite their shortcomings, I loved each entry into the series thus far.

manfestival

is it me or the art direction... is very different. they may have retained some of the models but the game but it ultimately looks different... doesnt have the same cartoony comic bookish vibe

Mr Branding

is it me or the art direction... is very different. they may have retained some of the models but the game but it ultimately looks different... doesnt have the same cartoony comic bookish vibe

It looks the same and it kind of doesn't if it makes sense. I still feel it retains the "charm" of the first two games but it's also a bit more grounded, a thing which I like; no disrespect for Joe Mad's artwork.

Combat reminds me of the earlier God Of War games,I’ll be keeping an eye on this.

Since they released that lava level gameplay footage this has been my GoW combat replacement game. The new gameplay looks alright if a bit basic, but it's what I presume to be the first level. From that trailer, it looks like we'll have a lot of weapons and abilities and for me it's a sure buy, just don't know when I'll pull the trigger since this fall/winter season is STACKED.

Pejo

Man that gameplay video bums me out so bad. I'm hoping it's just that they had a person playing who didn't have much experience in action games, but the game world just seems so empty regardless of how bad the combat was. The whip just materializes out of nowhere and has absolutely no weight behind it, the bug "puzzle" stuff is absolute low-brain tier and looks to be in there just to stop you from literally running to the boss without opening your eyes. I'll still keep my eyes on the final game because there's no way this should be indicative of the final build, but damn this looks bad as of now.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Man that gameplay video bums me out so bad. I'm hoping it's just that they had a person playing who didn't have much experience in action games, but the game world just seems so empty regardless of how bad the combat was. The whip just materializes out of nowhere and has absolutely no weight behind it, the bug "puzzle" stuff is absolute low-brain tier and looks to be in there just to stop you from literally running to the boss without opening your eyes. I'll still keep my eyes on the final game because there's no way this should be indicative of the final build, but damn this looks bad as of now.

I guess it’s the first level?

Pejo

I guess it’s the first level?
Regardless of where in the game this happens, I still think it looks bad. Usually first levels are built to draw you in to the game world or gameplay, this one appears to do niether of those things. Look at the first level of Metal Gear: Rising. Hell, look at the first level of the first Darksiders.

Mr Branding

Regardless of where in the game this happens, I still think it looks bad. Usually first levels are built to draw you in to the game world or gameplay, this one appears to do niether of those things. Look at the first level of Metal Gear: Rising. Hell, look at the first level of the first Darksiders.

Well, the first level of Darksiders was ok at best. It’s the late game that saved it imo. Also, the games were always super derivative and the mechanics were not that great.
I am being hopeful because this is not Vigil games. It’s a new dev called Gunfire Games so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. For this alone I would not compare this intro to the likes of MGR, Ninja gaiden black, Bayo or even Gow games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$5 cat helmet incoming.

Good ole Halo 3. They were bargain basement prices very soon after.

Some Collector's do sell out now, and are actually pretty limited compared to then. Spider-Man is hard to come by in conventional retail for example.

But that is still $150 and comes with a lot of content that pays for itself... $400 though, nah fam!

Last edited:

Moses85

This Franchise / Brand / Series is so overrated imo.

And now they are coming along with a 400 Bucks CE.

This is so crazy! Not even for 50€ I would purchase this. Its not even nice to have.

Last edited:
How much do they honestly expect to sell for 400 each. 10? 50? 100? 500? 1000?

No jokes be serious. How many?

I don't know. But these CEs must be insanely profitable. So even if less than 1% of buyers go for it, they still come out ahead. It comes with a wall scroll, amulet, and 4 figurines. Wholesale cost of those items is probably less than 10% of the marked up CE price.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I don't know. But these CEs must be insanely profitable. So even if less than 1% of buyers go for it, they still come out ahead. It comes with a wall scroll, amulet, and 4 figurines. Wholesale cost of those items is probably less than 10% of the marked up CE price.

ya sure i understand they make a lot per unit. but how many units are they selling? I guess they must sell some minimal amount in order to do it I am just surprised they would sell even 10K of these.

Solarstrike

Great footage shown but there's something stagnant in presentation of the main character game play animation. A noticeable lack of fluidity when transitioning from idle to running, to combat, and back again. Also, a focus on more things going on with what her whip can do in relation to her movement(s). Cartwheels, handstands, catapult-ing, slingshot-ing, ability to grapple on and ride creatures (the beetle crawlies as example), throwing it as a spear, breaking off pieces to light up and throw as torches or flares, enchantment with the four elements. Fury's whip is obviously an important part of her repertoire. It should be prominent to include idle animation(s). Variety and detail. Take your time Gunfire.

DESTROYA

While I am intrigued by this game combat does look a bit sluggish, not sure if there trying to incorporate some of the “souls” game felling but it looks more plodding than it should.Cant really put my finger on it.

Neolombax

I've been watching again those videos of Darksiders 3, and I think what bothers me the most is the attack animation of the whip. The way it swings just seems off, and as a result it doesnt feel powerful. Also there was a brief footage showing Fury using a sword, and those animations lack impact.

xwez

Banned
I generally hate scythe combat, which is why I think I got tired of DS2. I absolutely hate whip combat, so I'll probably get tired of DS3 quickly. I still love the concept of the series though, I just wish it wasn't so focused on the core weapons (sword, scythe, whip) and you could use any as you see fit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally hate the Darksiders artstyle, I always hated Warcraft look of it. Also think animation isn't very good, I know this game might have much better overall graphics but when it comes to animation NieR Automata has this game beat.

Top Bottom