• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 3 Review Thread

aevanhoe

Personally the art style reminds me a lot of blizzard games like Warcraft and diablo.

Only for people who think all stylized games look alike. First of all, Diablo (yes, 3) and WoW are nothing alike, and Darksiders doesn't look even close to these two. Diablo is semi-realistic proportions with high-fantasy design, WoW is caricature-style (much more exaggerated in terms of proportion than Diablo) and Darksiders is comic-book style.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's nothing like Dark Souls, the only similarity is that you cache your collected souls to level up and you drop any that you're carrying if you die.
That's enough to disqualify the game for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can anyone else reproduce this on PC? Start a new game, get decent 50-60fps performance, go up to Envy, die, get lengthy loading, watch the fps get halved throughout going back through the same area.

:(

Last edited:

silentz

Banned
Darksiders 3 Patch #1 (December 1st) in Staging Branch

https://steamcommunity.com/games/606280/announcements/detail/1710702066816825283

Improvements:
  • Multiple improvements to help performance and loading. Performance improvements should also significantly reduce stuttering in high-density areas.
  • Updated Story mode to be more forgiving.
  • Adjusted invulnerability windows across all difficulties. The windows are consistent on Balanced, Challenging and Apocalyptic and even more significant on easy.
  • Modified hit indicators for better readability.
  • Added version number on the main menu.

Fixes:
  • Added FOV scaling to keep correct FOV on 21:9 monitors.
  • Fixed various crash issues.
  • Added Force Respawn functionality. This option is available in the game options menu. It will kill Fury and return her to the last Vulgrim Waypoint that you visited. This option is a last resort to be used if you think you are stuck in an area for whatever reason.
  • Added functionality on Force respawn that will force the hollows to re-equip to Fury. This is for the issue where Fury’s hollow abilities appear to have stopped working.
  • Fix for issue where Force blocks were getting stuck in Scar. If you have encountered this issue, it should destroy the stuck block, and if you come back to the area, it will reload the block in the correct starting area.
  • Fix for issue where certain stacked breakables wouldn’t break in Bonelands.
  • Fix for issue that would break Gluttony fight. Fix should also fix saves that had this issue.
  • Fixed multiple issues where players can get Fury into unintended locations or unintended locations without expected Hollows (in some cases Force Respawn may need to be used).
  • Reduced Fafnir enhancement’s damage output.
  • Increased Havoc Generation on Obscurus Enhancement
  • Increased Health and Damage amounts on Fortifier Enhancement

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Darksiders 3 Patch #1 (December 1st) in Staging Branch

https://steamcommunity.com/games/606280/announcements/detail/1710702066816825283

• Adjusted invulnerability windows across all difficulties. The windows are consistent on Balanced, Challenging and Apocalyptic and even more significant on easy.

This is the only issue I have had with the game so far..certain enemies have attacks that track you so it didn't matter if you dodged to the sides or backwards you were going to get hit unless you got the counter..oh..and the stupid bugs sometimes just won't drink the nectar that makes them explode..

DjMystix

I completed this game last night and I don’t like dark souls games at all. Just so that you know you don’t really lose your souls when you die again. You can die as many times and still be able to collect your souls (at least that’s what happened to me, several times). Also, I never had any issues where I lost a bunch of souls, you always get the chance to spend them before a big fight.

It is not great, but a pretty good game. The combat never felt boring and the game never got ridiculously hard for me (you can always adjust difficulty mid game if you want). Don’t dismiss is because you don’t like dark souls game, I gave it a chance and ended up enjoying the experience. There is a good story here as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Only for people who think all stylized games look alike. First of all, Diablo (yes, 3) and WoW are nothing alike, and Darksiders doesn't look even close to these two. Diablo is semi-realistic proportions with high-fantasy design, WoW is caricature-style (much more exaggerated in terms of proportion than Diablo) and Darksiders is comic-book style.
No I don't think that, but I personally see a lot of visual elements from Warcraft and Diablo in Draksiders which I'm not big fan of, thats all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cleaned my pc, temps went down by a good 25c under load, much more so on idle, and now the game runs like a dream (incidentally MHW also maintains a mostly 60fps now, yay!), I guess it really was reaching cpu temp limits and throttling down previously leading to shit fps a while after starting the game up. So now that it runs well I've been playing it quite a bit and enjoying it quite a lot. I just got to the part with that threes reference. Funny. It's a really solid game thus far. I quite like the level design after all. There's still the occasional stutter as it loads in stuff and I also just reached a really really large room full of those red webs you can burn off, burning those did get me some severe frame drops but you only do that to figure out puzzles, it's not something that would occur mid-battle and cause issues.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Holding the fucking phone sunshine...

Did somebody just say dark souls like...?

Why was I not notified of this!!!
Because it's tenuous at best in my opinion ...you drop your souls when you die and have to go and retrieve them, healing is now items that you use while standing still and can't pop them like the potions in 2 so I guess you can say it's like an estus .Souls are used to buy items and you use them to level up at Vulgrim and you get a skill point to put into one of 3 stats..other than that I'm really trying to think how it's like Souls..

Alexios

Well, I would say it does feel similar to Dark Souls if you haven't played previous Darksiders games and want a comparison to liken 3 to. But on the other hand it's basically similar to Darksiders 1 except the locations are mostly indoors this time (well, so far outside the intro sequences it has been like that, maybe it changes) and the combat is paced a little bit differently. You still do combos and such but you also have to be way more careful and methodical than previously. That coupled with the changes outlined above does make it a bit similar. Although essentially it's Darksiders with a few tweaks here and there. Navigation can be different to Souls too given the climbing and high jumping and other such Castlevania-esque skills and some puzzling while in Dark Souls you just find keys to open doorways with.

One minor gripe so far but maybe it's too early and it does happen later, I wish I could keep that sword-is-a-key thing to fight with since they bothered to make a moveset, haha. I prefer swords to whips :p

Last edited:

Alexios

I've been playing this on and off still, I just reached Lust and died on her second phase. I don't know if this is going to get super annoying like a certain Dark Souls boss but yeah, I'll see how it is when I retry. This game is pretty pretty good, even if not exactly a modern classic. There are less puzzles than Darksiders 1 & 2 I guess but that's no bad thing really, it flows pretty well, I like the level design, there's some exploration off the beaten path for bonus items, etc. My only problem is even after I fixed my previous performance woes there are still a few areas where the fps drops to around 50 (I'm on a GTX1080 and an i7 3770K overclocked to 4GHz in the bios - which means it goes to about 4.5 during use with the boost thing they have), it's pretty noticeable when it was previously 60 almost the whole way through but it's not too bad. Other than that the story is pretty silly when a cut scene drags on a bit too long for its own good plus there are cut scenes where Fury is meant to be going all out against some enemy or whatever but her moves are just eh, gameplay moves being way better. There are some nice scenes though, like the one before Lust, even if I saw "it" coming as soon as it started. Overall I'd say the cut scenes feel cheaper than the game, I think most of them are pre-rendered with in-game assets rather than running real time, they drop to 30fps but there was a short instance where one was 60fps so, in game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is the patch available yet for PS4 that allows you to close "classic" mode? Also, does "classic" mode change the game from being a Souls type game back to what Darksiders 1 and 2 were? Thanks.

Alexios

It's not a souls type game really, it's pretty much like Darksiders 1 (no open sections to ride your horse in like 2 so far). Dropping your currency is no big deal, certainly not as big as dropping a ton of souls in a Souls game since the level ups here feel like a bonus rather than a necessity while there's not that much important stuff to buy and iirc you can recover it even if you keep dying. Souls was hardly the first series to make you lose some stuff on death. Classic mode is said to merely make it so healing items are instantly used rather than play an animation for them and allows you to interrupt your attacks with a dodge. I haven't felt the need to try it. I'm playing on whatever difficulty normal was called and I've only died a few times here and there, again a far cry from the first time I played Dark Souls back then.

Last edited:

Alexios

Finished the game, I'd give it an 8. It's perhaps not quite there but I don't think it's as low as a 7 for me either. It took me 21 hours according to Steam (so less with all the loading and leaving the game running after launch to do stuff or whatever) on balanced difficulty with the default combat, not the tweaks the classic mode or whatever added. It's nowhere near Souls difficulty and the combat is fun and combo based like previous games, although I found myself relying on very specific combos rather than experimenting DMC style, but the core feel with the slow motion dodge and counters etc is still solid.

It lacks polish in some aspects like for example with having the Souls style death mechanics it means that you don't reload a save after a boss kills you so you've totally wasted your special gauges if you used them and failed so you either wander around killing mobs to refill them or use your items. It feels off when in other such games you'll reload your save and have your gauges as you did before fighting the boss. I'd just advice to use your items and not give in to hoarding mentality, I hoarded it all and eventually sold it for currency instead of use it and only kept 3 of each just in case but only used any on the pre-final boss so yeah, if you die use your items to refill, I think you'll have enough for the whole game and avoid some frustration that way. Maybe you can even use more mid-fight, I never did outside heals.

Overall I really liked it though, I basically played it nonstop. Later areas were far more complex than earlier, at first I thought the game has next to no puzzles or traversal challenges but towards the end I had to use all the skills acquired along the way to traverse them and overcome obstacles and figure out where to go by scanning the environment for accessible areas and enemies were much tougher as well, my only gripe is the later larger areas brought my framerate down to around 50 very frequently and occasionally down to 40 but they really were huge open spaces with lots of stuff so they were also cool to witness.

Oh, the story also sucked pretty bad but the cut scenes were few so it was minimal and fine most of the time, the ending was definitely underwhelming in the same way just like every cut scene with more talking and when Fury is supposed to totally pummel some enemy old-God-of-War style but her moves and direction are lukewarm and her in-game combat animations actually better most of the time, lol.

I'd be up for more content if they release good DLC and also a potential New Game + addition where you can either sequence break or just keep your levels after you acquire each power/weapon etc. Currently reloading the last save just takes me to the part right before the final boss, though you can still explore the rest of the world and get any secrets and optional content you missed.

Last edited:

Alexios

Also for those who fear the Souls style deaths don't worry, I mentioned before you can acquire your lost currency even if you die multiple times over I think but much more helpfully you can deposit all your currency to level up even if you don't have enough for a level up yet, you can give it all to the NPC bit by bit and have it count towards the next level so there's really next to no risk to lose stuff in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played Darksiders III in January after I dropped it for a while due to the Souls issues but once they patched it, it was definitely better. Enjoyed pretty much everything in the game after that patch. For me, a great 8.5/10 game and looking forward to Remnant at the end of the summer.

Mista

Banned
I dropped the game on the second day of release because it was unplayable for me and boring. Being boring aside, how’s the game now after the recent patch?

Psychostar

I finished the game a while back. Maybe I''m in the minority but I really enjoyed it - That being said, I really enjoyed the previous 2 also. It's one of the few franchises that I find joy in completing 100%.

Was a bit sad that the dlc took as long as it did to come out. Enjoyed the story, it had it's moments. The combat was well done and was a lot of fun throughout the game. I enjoyed the boss fights, they were entertaining.
I'm a big fan of games of this style. Recently got hooked to Hollow Knight which is 2d but also the same type of game and that is a true masterpiece.

Let's hope this franchise continues to grow. There is potential!

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Game is quite good. Has some performancde issues on One X but overall quite polished. Gameplay is very fun and on par with the other games. I like it better than 2 but a little less than 1. Definitely pick this up if you like hack and slash and metroidvania style gameplay.

Top Bottom