• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition PC 05/11/15 + Loyalty Program

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't even care that I got it for free if they haven't fixed the bugs/issues from the original version, won't be installing this. A real shame because it is otherwise a pretty good game.

They added more bugs, if anything :lol

KevinCow

Banned
It is more than that
Consider someone bought the games and the dlcs seperatly; they only get a discount
Whereas those that for the franchise pack which contaied the stuff i mentioned above get the game for free

No, I fully understand the situation.

The complaint is, "He got it for free and I'm only getting an 80% discount, it's not fair!"

It literally sounds like something a 5-year-old would say. "Jimmy got two pieces of candy and I only got one! It's not fair!"

No, it's not fair and the whole thing probably wasn't thought out the best. But so what? If nobody was getting it for free and it was just a $6 upgrade across the board, nobody would be bitching. But because some people are getting it for free, the discount is suddenly not enough.

It's SIX DOLLARS. You can barely buy a meal at McDonald's for that.

So what if Jimmy got two pieces of candy and you only got one? Be happy with your one piece. They didn't have to give you any. Console gamers didn't get a single M&M.

Jawmuncher

No, I fully understand the situation.

The complaint is, "He got it for free and I'm only getting an 80% discount, it's not fair!"

It literally sounds like something a 5-year-old would say. "Jimmy got two pieces of candy and I only got one! It's not fair!"

No, it's not fair and the whole thing probably wasn't thought out the best. But so what? If nobody was getting it for free and it was just a $6 upgrade across the board, nobody would be bitching. But because some people are getting it for free, the discount is suddenly not enough.

It's SIX DOLLARS. You can barely buy a meal at McDonald's for that.

It's a loyalty discount, yet the people who paid less are getting the best discount that's all there is to it. But I agree had no one been getting it free there wouldn't be a issue. They just handled the entire situation terribly.

draetenth

I was wondering why I loaded up GOG Galaxy to find that I owned Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition. Heck, I was surprised this even existed. I thought it was consoles only.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's a loyalty discount, yet the people who paid less are getting the best discount that's all there is to it. But I agree had no one been getting it free there wouldn't be a issue. They just handled the entire situation terribly.

Well technically the people who paid less paid the right people (nordic) while the old players paid the now nonexistant THQ, money Nordic saw none of.

So they rewarded loyal Nordic Games customers, not loyal Darksiders fans.

*shrug*

Here's what PR should learn from the complaints

Give everyone less so it's "fair" and nobody gets jealous.

Good job people.

Jawmuncher

Well technically the people who paid less paid the right people (nordic) while the old players paid the now nonexistant THQ, money Nordic saw none of.

*shrug*

They should have just come out and said that then.

Good job people.

gif-agree-i-agree-havznsv8.gif

naitosan

Woot, just checked my library and saw Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition there. Nice!

Now, please do Deathinitive Edition of first Darksiders please!

Momentary

Banned
I don't care about the "free" crap. These guys are charging for a new tag on the game's title and a minor patch.

Here are the "features" they listed on the page for the PC version. I made sure to put all the fluff and bullshit in bold.
Darksiders 2 with all DLC included and integrated into the game which offers a total playtime of more than 30 hours

Reworked and tuned game balancing and loot distribution

Improved Graphic Render Engine for higher visual quality especially in terms of lighting and shadows

Improved and reworked level, character and environment graphics

***Running in native 1080p resolution***

Steam Trading Cards

Edit: I just find the "Running in native 1080p" to be downright ridiculous.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Welp, it's downloading.

I want to see the conclusion to this series, Nordic.

Don't make me regret it.

I don't care about the "free" crap. These guys are charging for a new title on the game and a patch.

Here are the "features" they listed on the page for the PC version. I made sure to put all the fluff and bullshit in bold.

Yeah, I'm not paying money for that shit lol. Square Enix tried to pull this "charge money for ittiy bitty patch" crap too with Deus Ex Director's Cut and Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition. It's weird Nordic would do this when they updated Red Faction Guerrilla substantially for free.

Tizoc

*shrug*

That's a good way to put it.

Yeah, I'm not paying money for that shit lol. Square Enix tried to pull this "charge money for ittiy bitty patch" crap too with Deus Ex Director's Cut and Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition. It's weird Nordic would do this when they updated Red Faction Guerrilla substantially for free.

How big was the update for RF Guerrilla?

Momentary

Banned
That's a good way to put it.

How big was the update for RF Guerrilla?

-Added Steam Trading Cards
-DirectX 11 Render Backend instead of DirectX 10 (DirectX 9 still available as fall back)
-Added Wrecking Crew maps: RUINS, REPERCUSSION, IMPERIAL, EXPANSION, FROST, ABANDONED
-Added Behemoth Mode
-Matchmaking and Multiplayer via Steamworks
-Added Host Migration functionality
-Added Join in Progress functionality to join matches that are already started
-No Games for Windows Live sign-in required
-Leaderboards via Steam
-Voice Chat via Steam
-Achievements via Steam
-At first launch the game attempts to migrate savegames from GFWL to the new system
-Added Russian, Polish and Czech Localization
-Added Achievements to DLC content
-Fixed camera speed in vehicles
-Steam offline mode enabled
-Removed XP limitation for all multiplayer game modes.
-Added voice chat "push to talk" option. It's enabled by default and it can be changed in the audio options. It's binded to key "Z" by default.
-Added "Join chat" in matchmaking lobby. When using this option you will be joining RFG chat root
-Changed minimum player number for Siege and Large Mixer to 6
-Fixed mouse acceleration when driving walkers
-Added ability to view Steam Gamer profile in leaderboards and in-game scoreboard
-The time limit between lobby disconnects is doubled
-Minimum players required to start the team game is four and for normal game it's three.
-Removed Aim Assist in Multiplayer
-Various Stability improvements
- Added text chat feature for multiplayer. Use "t" key for the regular chat and "y" for the team chat.
- Added the Reconstructor weapon for single player (main and bonus missions). It will be unlocked after finishing the game and then you can get it at the upgrade table.
- Fixed functionality of locking bagpacks and weapons in custom matches (it never worked on pc version before)
- Re-initiating matchmaking disabled when there is more than one player in the lobby.
- Improved overall game stability (thanks for dump files).
- Added option to change FOV for the single player game.
- Added console commands to show/hide HUD (hud_on/hud_off)
- Added support for QWERTZ keyboard layout
- Added player invulnerability when in joining in progress.
- Improved overall game stability
- Tweaked text chat color
- Fixed possible crash when leaving a Wrecking Crew game
- Fixed bug where text chat windows was not disappearing when leaving LAN game.
- Fixed Demolition mode/team chat 'y' key map conflict.
- Fixed bugs in Wrecking Crew - Free play mode.
- Fixed crash when the Reconstructor mod was previously installed
- Fixed bug where the Reconstructor unlock was always shown after finishing mission.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Interestingly enough, forcing DX11 through launch command gives an error :lol

Gives an error about not being able to read the shader library. Did they upload an early build or something? There's the DebugSaves folder too, but that might as well just have been overlooked.

Edit: Oh the DX11 stuff was for Red Faction, nevermind.

Edit #2: I THINK I FOUND A WORKAROUND.

Go to Launch Settings on steam, add -dxlevel10. Running 1080p, max settings, no issues whatsoever.

ReEdit, The Editing: Ah, max shadows did work, and they looked a *lot* better. However upon restarting the game it now crashes on load :lol. Still, forcing dx10 made it run better for me at least.

Shepard

Game ran fine until I increased the resolution and other graphic details, now It crashes after the main menu. Noice.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Me too, fix it so max shadows doesn't crash the game over and over, (or any setting for that matter) and fix the random dip into 1-4 FPS problem and we're golden.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Game ran fine until I increased the resolution and other graphic details, now It crashes after the main menu. Noice.

This worked for me to reset the settings.

Go to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Darksiders2 and delete the file options.dopt. Then go to your Steam install directory [YourSteaminstall]\userdata\[Steam ID]\388410\remote and also delete the options.dopt file.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
On the upside, my framerate is a lot better and medium shadows actually look better than the original release. Still a bit stuttery but my biggest framedip by playing the prologue and messing around in the hub area was down to 55. Peaked at around 180

Edit: Seems they'll be touching up the original Darksiders (1) release as well, maybe this will end up a nice port then. They're also very much aware of the issue since they've stickied the workaround fix for the crashes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems one of the devs is finally talking on the Steam discussions (talking about the upgrade not applying to those who owned all the DLC previously but didn't buy the Franchise Pack)

MegalomaniacNG [developer]

Again - I can only speak about our intentions and that the current offering is what we were told is the best option works. We will re-visit this subject. Now also Steam saw what massive problems this caused.

Seems they're finally starting to grasp that this is an issue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Shepard

This worked for me to reset the settings.

Sadly, doing that didnt reset my settings, game still launches in 4k (was using to test the performance). Guess I'll have to wait for a patch. Kinda crazy that you can't access the game's options in the main menu.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sadly, doing that didnt reset my settings, game still launches in 4k (was using to test the performance). Guess I'll have to wait for a patch. Kinda crazy that you can't access the game's options in the main menu.

Turn off cloud saves for both Darksiders 2 and Deathinitive edition as well.

Good job people.

Really?

'Better execution' is the concept they should learn. I mean, they aren't even trying to fix it, nor explaining why they can't fix it.

Banned
It doesn't look that much improved texture wise. Lighting is an improvement. Not sure I want to buy it though since it keeps crashing for you guys. I'm tier 2 btw.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems one of the devs is finally talking on the Steam discussions (talking about the upgrade not applying to those who owned all the DLC previously but didn't buy the Franchise Pack)

Seems they're finally starting to grasp that this is an issue.

I predict that Nordic will just say to Valve, "Hey, can you add the DE to the libraries of those who own all of the DLC in the Franchise Pack, regardless of licence?", only this won't change anything since the Darksiders OST DLC was only available for a very short time as it's actually included with the game by default.

Grabbed a $5 DS 2 steam key from g2a to drop the Deathinitive version to $6 for me. Hopefully I don't run into these problems.

Good game. Runs quite a bit better than vanilla Darksiders 2 as well which is a bonus. The crash to desktop if you turn the shadows up where everybody's save game probably already has them that way is pretty terrible, though.

Hopefully they fix that pretty soon. Some pretty nasty shadow maps here and there that can (hopefully) be cleaned up once that's patched.

Eusis

Good game. Runs quite a bit better than vanilla Darksiders 2 as well which is a bonus. The crash to desktop if you turn the shadows up where everybody's save game probably already has them that way is pretty terrible, though.
. . . Really? Interesting, maybe this is less a shit update and more a diamond-in-the-rough update that could eventually be a truly definitive version.

EDIT: And I have to admit as exasperating as their approach to offering it for free has been, there IS that wrinkle that they kind of weren't the original owners of the series and didn't release this one originally, ergo giving us a free copy is fully at their cost, not a "thanks for making this a success/supporting us!" thing like with Wasteland 2, Divinity, etc. If this were THQ that hypothetically didn't die I'd be more frustrated.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
. . . Really? Interesting, maybe this is less a shit update and more a diamond-in-the-rough update that could eventually be a truly definitive version.

Yeah I never got anywhere close to 180 FPS in the original, dips are very minor into 55 FPS too, used to get drops to the 30-40s in the original release. And "Medium" shadows already look improved over the original game's. Also apparently they did the DLC Scholar of the First Sin style, you find the DLC items to trigger them in various chests around the world

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The original looks way better there.

I have the max shadows bug, which is fixable. But I have a really bad bug when exiting any of the options pages, it freezes when entering back into the game. Have to alt+f4.

Booted it up to check it out. Surprisingly all my previous saves from the original version were still there. Pretty sweet. Framerate is also better with no more stuttering. (Though I do have a new card compared to when I played the original) The game options are just as bare bones as in the original unfortunately. Also the same lack of dpad control in the menus.

JohngPR

The original looks way better there.

I had had SweetFX in place which gave the game a better AA solution than what was in the original game. I redid my screenshots in order to compare both editions more fairly. I had the same issue with the game crashing but erasing those two files and setting the shadows to medium fixed the problem.

For all of these, the original is the first one shown and the new version is the second:

To me, the Deathinitive Edition looks better. The lighting makes the game look way less dingy and the game looks less blurry overall. I'm unsure if there is a better AA solution in the new version or not. I had the same bug as everyone else, but erasing those files fixed the problem. I also appreciate that they redid the ugly as sin button prompts from the original version. :p

FLAguy954

I don't, but I wouldn't say no to free shit

Divinity OS developers continue to trump these AAA greedy bastards. Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs also gave away their update for free to owners. "loyalty" program :lol

Yeah, also add in Flying Wild Hog with the free update to Shadow Warrior DX11.

MUnited83

For you.
To get Darksiders 2 Deathnitive Edition do the following:

MegalomaniacNG said:
I am again very sorry for how this appears and I totally understand your anger. So how about this - you send me a proof that you got DS2 and at least the Season pass or the DLCs that are included in the season pass (best is this page: https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/) and I will get you a key to get DS2DE. Just send it to support [at] nordicgames.at

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seems there really was an actual issue then, nice of them to do though. Feeling more confident that they want to do this right now, so I won't refund it.

JohngPR

I feel sorry for them. Now how about those of us that already paid the $6? :p

It doesn't feel like they are being greedy, I think it's more of a PR misstep. They should have just given DS2 for free if you had DS1 and DS2 if they wanted to go the "Loyalty" route or just have given the 80% discount with no one getting it for free at all since god forbid someone gets something that you don't.

If getting this gets me closer to Darksiders 3, I have no problem paying the $6. I think their heart is in the right place.

MattyG

Banned
Is there really any huge update to it? I have 2 (love it, it was one of my favorite games that year) but I'm gonna have to see a comparison video.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I bought the franchise pack anyways. Don't remember doing that.

Top Bottom