• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders Is Vastly Underrated - It's The Legacy of Kain of 2010s and Onward

I've been playing the Darksiders games throughout the past week and this is such an underrated series it's unbelievable.

I'm a huge fan of the Legacy of Kain and this is the closest we have to that. Well we may never see a sequel to Legacy of Kain again even though there's rumors popping up about polos asking people about it, Darksiders is still sort of new.

I am worried that there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for the games so we may never see a Darksiders 4. I hope that's not the case.

I just think It's really underrated unfortunately. Maybe people are not into these types of games anymore or they don't know what they're missing. I agree the series is not going to be for everyone but if you have the chance definitely try them out, starting with the first.

Currently I'm playing Darksiders Genesis. It plays more like Diablo than the other games. The game play is different but I'm surprised on how complex it is. Darksiders Genesis almost seems more complex than Diablo 3 in some ways although I'm playing it on a Switch Lite and it's hard to see the enemies and characters do to how small they are on screen.

Darksiders Genesis is very flawed but it's also just sort of a spin-off. I definitely recommend the mainstream trilogy if you're a fan of Legacy of Kain or games like that.

I would definitely say Darksiders is my favorite "new" IP since the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 era.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I remember enjoying my time with the original on GameCube. Don’t think I’ve ever finished it. I almost bought it on Switch while it was on sale.

Thought about buying the sequel but didn’t like the character model as much as the first.

laynelane

I played the shit out of the first two games and loved them both. Your post has reminded me that I need to get on the rest. I worry about never seeing a Darksiders 4 too - and a completion of the story begun in the first game.

Esca

I really enjoyed the first two. I can't remember anything about 3 though. I'm always down for a new darksiders.

daveonezero

Banned
Maybe it was Wii….

Shit I have no idea I didn’t own a PS3 or Xbox at the time but must have played it when I lived with someone who had one…..

So ya not very memorable I guess

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I enjoyed the first game. Beat it twice.

The second game I couldn't get through, and I didn't really like the scythe. That and it seemed like it was a lot bigger than the first game.

Third game sounds like it's not my cup of tea, and like it's just a souls rip off, and the whip sounds dumb.

I remember enjoying my time with the original on GameCube. Don’t think I’ve ever finished it. I almost bought it on Switch while it was on sale.

Thought about buying the sequel but didn’t like the character model as much as the first.
Well I said Darksiders, not Phantasy Star Episodes 1 and 2. So if you're looking for a GameCube game, that one I would recommend highly.

Darksiders 1 is the only better. Darksiders 2 is so fucking boring.
Having played all of them as of now, I would say Darksiders 2 is the "worst" in a sense but it's still an awesome game and I love Michael Wincott.

Someone hasn't played any Legacy of Kain games in awhile if they think Darksiders is comparable.

Darksiders is closer to Brutal Legend if anything.
I don't know how you compare Darksiders with Brutal Legend, a game I have also played in completed. That's a really weird comparison. Maybe I missed the part where there's a real-time strategy portion that keeps interrupting the gameplay in Darksiders?

I'm a huge fan of Legacy of Kain and story-wise, yes the Kain games rule. But there's a lot that reminds me of those games especially the Soul Reaver series. Although the first king game was more Zelda like which Darksiders is also.

I enjoyed the first game. Beat it twice.

The second game I couldn't get through, and I didn't really like the scythe. That and it seemed like it was a lot bigger than the first game.

Third game sounds like it's not my cup of tea, and like it's just a souls rip off, and the whip sounds dumb.
I think I'm enjoying the third game more than the second. If you did not like the second one I would definitely recommend playing the third one.

Last edited:
I LOVE the Darksiders series. Darksiders 2 is the best of the trilogy with the best gameplay (though the game is too bloated and really pushed the “rule of 3’s” gameplay design trope to its limit). I feel like they need to have a Strife solo game that embraces fast-paced “gun-fu” combat.

I LOVE the Darksiders series. Darksiders 2 is the best of the trilogy with the best gameplay (though the game is too bloated and really pushed the “rule of 3’s” gameplay design trope to its limit). I feel like they need to have a Strife solo game that embraces fast-paced “gun-fu” combat.
Well if we're going by the trend, Strife should have definitely be the next character in the mainline series. He appears in Darksiders Genesis as one of the two main characters along with War. He has more of a sense of humor compared to the other Horseman and he seems pretty fun overall as a character. You might get more snarkiness unfortunately, as a result, but overall I look forward to seeing his character as more of a primary role.

Plus it's almost a given since we're in a time where diversity is very important to game developers and Strife is obviously a black character. What I am concerned about is how they will deal with his attack moves since he mostly relies on projectile and guns compared to the other Horseman who use melee anymore.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be entirely against a sort of different gameplay similar to Gears of War if they had to go that route with Strife. So long as they kept to the same exploration aspect as they have with the rest of the games.

I've been playing the Darksiders games throughout the past week and this is such an underrated series it's unbelievable.

I'm a huge fan of the Legacy of Kain and this is the closest we have to that. Well we may never see a sequel to Legacy of Kain again even though there's rumors popping up about polos asking people about it, Darksiders is still sort of new.

I am worried that there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for the games so we may never see a Darksiders 4. I hope that's not the case.

I just think It's really underrated unfortunately. Maybe people are not into these types of games anymore or they don't know what they're missing. I agree the series is not going to be for everyone but if you have the chance definitely try them out, starting with the first.

Currently I'm playing Darksiders Genesis. It plays more like Diablo than the other games. The game play is different but I'm surprised on how complex it is. Darksiders Genesis almost seems more complex than Diablo 3 in some ways although I'm playing it on a Switch Lite and it's hard to see the enemies and characters do to how small they are on screen.

Darksiders Genesis is very flawed but it's also just sort of a spin-off. I definitely recommend the mainstream trilogy if you're a fan of Legacy of Kain or games like that.

I would definitely say Darksiders is my favorite "new" IP since the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 era.
Legacy of Kain? You now have my attention I never played these - are they on gamepass?

Isnt Legacy of Kain underrated too though tbh..
I'm not sure I would consider it underrated. It's received a lot of attention and a lot of love over the years. Maybe definitely not at first but a lot of people love this series nowadays. I'm almost surprised they haven't gone and done a new game but they did waste money, time and energy on a stupid multiplayer only game called Nosgoth. I think one of their explanations for that was to gauge interest in the series, to see if people wanted more Legacy of Kain but the multiplayer game died off pretty quick.

That's a bad way of trying to gauge interest. Especially in a series that's very focused on story and characters.

Have you played slash action games on computers before? Because it plays more like those not Zelda.

The first 3 games yes.
The first game was touted as being very Zelda like. You can definitely argue that against the second may not be but the first certainly was.

I would say it was more like Zelda than Devil May Cry, another one of my favorite video game series. It's because of all the exploration and doors you couldn't open until later, etc.

But whatever. We can talk semantics all day. My point being is that I feel the series is underrated and I hope we can get more games.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I'm not sure I would consider it underrated. It's received a lot of attention and a lot of love over the years. Maybe definitely not at first but a lot of people love this series nowadays. I'm almost surprised they haven't gone and done a new game but they did waste money, time and energy on a stupid multiplayer only game called Nosgoth. I think one of their explanations for that was to gauge interest in the series, to see if people wanted more Legacy of Kain but the multiplayer game died off pretty quick.

That's a bad way of trying to gauge interest. Especially in a series that's very focused on story and characters.
Im just saying its comparable to Darksiders already lol, it has a similar bubble of people who dig and paid attention to it imo.

Last edited:
The first game was touted as being very Zelda like. You can definitely argue that against the second may not be but the first certainly was.

I would say it was more like Zelda than Devil May Cry, another one of my favorite video game series. It's because of all the exploration and doors you couldn't open until later, etc.

But whatever. We can talk semantics all day. My point being is that I feel the series is underrated and I hope we can get more games.

Yes, console reviewers don't know hack and slash games outside of Nintendo games in the 90s I'm well aware.

You did not however, answer my question.

Yes, console reviewers don't know hack and slash games outside of Nintendo games in the 90s I'm well aware.

You did not however, answer my question.
Yes I played many hack and slash games if that was the question.

Especially if we're talking games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta or the older God of War games. Sometimes they're called character action games. It's one of my favorite genres. I remember Devil May Cry blowing me away when it came out on PlayStation 2. I think that was one of the first times of video game actually blew me away to be honest and got me seriously excited.

Last edited:
What would you like to see in the next Darksiders game? I mean, what kind of gameplay would you like to see and what characters would you like to see return or be introduced? what direction would you like to see it go in?

Fbh

Its a shame they didn't stick with the Zelda inspired formula of the first one.

2 and 3 had better combat but 2 was too bloated, focused more on big areas, added annoying loot and had a really rushed feeling second half, and 3 felt too souls inspired.

I'd still like to see more of the franchise, but at this point I doubt we'll get another big $60 (or $70) game

Yes I played many hack and slash games if that was the question.

Especially if we're talking games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta or the older God of War games. Sometimes they're called character action games. It's one of my favorite genres. I remember Devil May Cry blowing me away when it came out on PlayStation 2. I think that was one of the first times of video game actually blew me away to be honest and got me seriously excited.

I specifically asked you about older computer hack and slash games.

I specifically asked you about older computer hack and slash games.
Can you give me an example because I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I mean, it really doesn't matter because my point stands about Darksiders hopefully getting sequels and getting more attention but I've been gaming since the Magnavox Odyssey 2 (which iirc was my first console) so I'm sure I played some old hack and slash games in the '80s on my Commodore 64 whatever.

Last edited:

Banned
Darksiders 1 is a better Zelda game than most 3D Zeldas... there I said it.

Darksiders 1 was an amazig mix of DMC, God of War, Soul Reaver and Zelda. it had the satisfying finishers of God of War, the lockon and combat feel of a heavier DMC, the gliding and tone of Soul Reaver and the dungeons and puzzles of Zelda

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like 3 the best, it feels like they found the series' true identity after experimenting in the 1st and 2nd and I totally disagree with the Souls comparisons, the similarities are superficial regardless of which minorly different control styles you choose.

But I don't think they stack up to the likes of Soul Reaver story wise and what not. But then again the three games together are probably better than most of those games as I only really find the first Reaver to be truly great. Either way great series.

Last edited:
I like 3 the best, it feels like they found the series' true identity after experimenting in the 1st and 2nd and I totally disagree with the Souls comparisons, the similarities are superficial regardless of which minorly different control styles you choose.

But I don't think they stack up to the likes of Soul Reaver story wise and what not. But then again the three games together are probably better than most of those games as I only really find the first Reaver to be truly great. Either way great series.
I never played a Souls game but you can change the combat style to that more Souls like combat or the more classical combat. So I can't comment on that aspect.

But, I'm actually enjoying it more than the first Darksiders. And of course Darksiders 2. So I might be in agreeance with you here that it is the best Darksiders game so far.

And yes, it's better than Darksiders Genesis but that's more of a spin-off game than a sequel.

I am asking you have you played older action/slash games on computers before, as in games that are not related to consoles?
I really didn't get my first PC until about 2,000. Before then I had a Commodore 64 so you'd have to be more specific.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be an asshole to you or anything and I hope I'm not coming off as such but you're being a bit vague so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've played action RPGs like Diablo on computer but like I said I was sort of a late bloomer and didn't get my first actual PC until the year 2000 and before that it was Commodore 64.

In fact, fun fact: I was on the internet around the mid to late '90s and did it by having a WebTV. Remember those?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Mixed feelings about the first game, they could have done much more with the setting and the combat. Really enjoyed the second one minor annoyances aside. Haven't gotten around to 3 yet, the design of the main character puts me off somehow. Genesis looks like something I wouldn't play.

Last edited:

hlm666

The ending of the first game might possibly be my favourite game ending, it's definitely in the top 3. I liked 2 and 3 but I really would have preferred something set after the first game with all the riders united going after the council.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I LOVE the franchise, haven't played Genesis yet though, not my type of camera honestly, that puts me off a lot but I'll probably try it some time later.

The game are super underrated idk why, is western audience just interested in shooting? Because that's a shame if true...

Mixed feelings about the first game, they could have done much more with the setting and the combat. Really enjoyed the second one minor annoyances aside. Haven't gotten around to 3 yet, the design of the main character puts me off somehow.
I was put off by her at first too. She really comes off as a sort of checkboxed "angry feminist" type but I think she hates humans more than any other race or gender or whatever.

However, she's actually kind of well done towards the end and becomes more sympathetic, etc. So she isn't really that bad. She's nowhere near as interesting is Horseman Death though especially since Michael Wincott did such a great job. I think I sent him a personal thank you on his Twitter a few years back for his role as Death and it's funny how many similarities there are between him and the movie The Crow, for obvious reasons.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I really didn't get my first PC until about 2,000. Before then I had a Commodore 64 so you'd have to be more specific.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be an asshole to you or anything and I hope I'm not coming off as such but you're being a bit vague so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've played action RPGs like Diablo on computer but like I said I was sort of a late bloomer and didn't get my first actual PC until the year 2000 and before that it was Commodore 64.

In fact, fun fact: I was on the internet around the mid to late '90s and did it by having a WebTV. Remember those?
It's fine, you are correct anyway, the developers themselves have said they were heavily inspired by Zelda to the point they probably wouldn't exist without Nintendo. Though they did denounce similarities in interviews regarding the 2nd game, that was more against folks calling it derivative or a knock off so comparing it to Zelda in a negative way rather than saying it's great at taking some core concepts and doing what it does with them (since nobody else really tried or succeeded at Zelda-likes anyway outside Okami) or acknowledging any of the things it does differently. But yeah, the puzzles, bosses, lock-on melee combat even if they added some DMC-esque combos and air juggles into it, boomerangs and all kinds of other tools and the way they're found and used both in and out of combat, it's all clearly OoT (and later) inspired and nothing on PC (or anywhere other than 2D Zeldas) did it first. I barely have a clue what PC games he could mean as the likes of Rune, Severance or Enclave, that may have superficial aspects one could compare to attempting to diminish Zelda (again), both aren't really similar and came after OoT. Maybe Ultima Underworld? Lol. Just no. He'll probably come back and try to deconstruct it to vague elements like swords, upgrades, items, keys, quests, open maps, bosses, storylines, zeros and ones that combine to form a game, as if implementation, style, quality don't matter and one can't instantly recognize what makes OoT and sequels different (and what makes BOTW different to them with complaints from fans even though it's still largely similar, but what's missing is recognizable even though it still has all those vague elements) and what made Okami, Darksiders & precious few other titles so similar to them 🤷‍♂️
By saying I have no clue what still unnamed games he could possibly be referring to, I obviously mean that, because I'm pretty well versed in the PC library before and after OoT, it's pretty impossible for anyone sane to attribute Darksiders' biggest influence to any other game or series first. Not to mention the ways it differs are still more like console games (again, like DMC they also name drop) rather than some fabled PC game that only Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin knows exists and is so underrated for things it pioneered, but still refuses to simply name drop and show the world this singular truth 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I LOVE the franchise, haven't played Genesis yet though, not my type of camera honestly, that puts me off a lot but I'll probably try it some time later.

The game are super underrated idk why, is western audience just interested in shooting? Because that's a shame if true...
I just started playing Darksiders Genesis and I would actually have to say you will probably not like it.

I'm enjoying it but it's not the Darksiders that I love but I also understand this is just a spin-off. The combat is still a lot of fun and I'm surprised at how complex it is. But the fixed camera is awful and the game is a bit buggy. Also, I'm playing on the Nintendo Switch Lite and I cannot see my own character barely or anything else. Everything is really zoomed out and I think this was intended to play on a high resolution television.

Last edited:
The first Darksiders game I really liked a lot. 2 was fun but I hated the loot system. It should have stuck with the Zelda style of progression and exploration imo.

Luc2010

Darksiders 1 is zelda, Darksiders 2 is zelda without the good dungeons. Though, doesn't feel like Legacy of Kain, but maybe like Defiance, possibly......

Last edited:
Well if we're going by the trend, Strife should have definitely be the next character in the mainline series. He appears in Darksiders Genesis as one of the two main characters along with War. He has more of a sense of humor compared to the other Horseman and he seems pretty fun overall as a character. You might get more snarkiness unfortunately, as a result, but overall I look forward to seeing his character as more of a primary role.

Plus it's almost a given since we're in a time where diversity is very important to game developers and Strife is obviously a black character. What I am concerned about is how they will deal with his attack moves since he mostly relies on projectile and guns compared to the other Horseman who use melee anymore.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be entirely against a sort of different gameplay similar to Gears of War if they had to go that route with Strife. So long as they kept to the same exploration aspect as they have with the rest of the games.
I think Strife's time on Earth leading up to Fury's arrival would be a good place to do his own story. I wasn't thinking Gears of War, but rather something that treats his bullets as an extension of the melee combat. The closest thing I can use to illustrate this is Red Hood from Batman Arkham Knight (), but instead of free-flow combat, it would be more character action combo systems. Maybe having a manual aim mode that does more damage to enemies ("charging the bullets" as Strife takes the time to aim).

Nico_D

Great series. Darksiders 2 was the highpoint out of the four games. Liked the first one for it's Zelda influence. The third game was very good too, the difficulty surprised me after the second one.

Genesis was ok. I didn't care for the map design but I had enough fun playing it through once with my daughter.

But yeah, a new game would be great. Maybe with all four there? Put together the first two games and you have a masterpiece.

Top Bottom