• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

forrest

formerly nacire
AndyD said:
Same here, that was one I never even bought I think. I preferred to level up the others instead.

Affliction sent out poison colored apparitions that damage enemies over time. Seems boring compared to the others, but it's quite powerful.

Sorry about you getting that bug JohnSmith, did you try the official forums to see if there was a fix? Hate to see something ruin your experience with the game like that.

Man I enjoy this game but I can never get back into it. It's just go gloomy and what not, and I'm not really sure why I'm doing any of anything.

Currently at the sand place. Does it get better afterwards? I feel like I'm running through some WoW zone.

johnsmith

remember me
chickdigger802 said:
Man I enjoy this game but I can never get back into it. It's just go gloomy and what not, and I'm not really sure why I'm doing any of anything.

Currently at the sand place. Does it get better afterwards? I feel like I'm running through some WoW zone.

Not really. I kind of had to force myself through it for completion's sake until I hit the game breaking bug. If you're not feeling it from the beginning, there's nothing later on that will change your mind.

Got this during the Steam sale in the summer, and just got around to playing a bit tonight. Really fun! Just got to the "overworld" I guess. One question, is there a better way to set up the whole caps lock powers? It's nearly impossible for me to hit caps lock and then one of the number keys fast enough to use one of those...I'm guessing it controls better with a gamepad anyway.

Xander51

SenseiJinx said:
Got this during the Steam sale in the summer, and just got around to playing a bit tonight. Really fun! Just got to the "overworld" I guess. One question, is there a better way to set up the whole caps lock powers? It's nearly impossible for me to hit caps lock and then one of the number keys fast enough to use one of those...I'm guessing it controls better with a gamepad anyway.

I mapped the Caps Lock function to one of the thumb buttons on my mouse, it works well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm finally playing this, and it's a blast. I played for 5 hours straight today.

Pretty awesome Zelda-like game. Will be playing 2 for sure.

Tesseract

Banned
finally playing darksiders. here's me playing apocalyptic from player start to first boss, tiamat.

untitled-24r6i.gif

AppleBlade

Darksiders is on sale on Xbox Games on Demand for $14.99 (Prey and The Darkness are the same price).

BTW, yes I'm sure you can get a used copy for less then that but some of us prefer digital so just thought I'd share.

CrankyJay

Banned
Picked this up last year during Black Friday and finally got around to it. It's fucking awesome so far. Can't believe I waited this long to play it, but my back log is gigantic.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this game. Glad to hear there is a sequel in the works.

mr_toa

Currently inching through the game the first time.

Some 7-8 hours into it - normally around this time I'm starting to dread booting this type of titles, as by it's usually rehashes of the same few ideas ad nauseam until the bitter, bitter end.

But Darksiders still feel fresh, amazing!

Currently inching through the game the first time.

Some 7-8 hours into it - normally around this time I'm starting to dread booting this type of titles, as by it's usually rehashes of the same few ideas ad nauseam until the bitter, bitter end.

But Darksiders still feel fresh, amazing!

Good to hear, I'll be starting it myself shortly!

I'm also having a good time with this game. I actually stopped progressing in the story line just before the final area, to go get all the trophies that I could, but I am dreading the weapon upgrade grind. Nevertheless, the backtracking is somewhat good since you get to access new areas with the new powers (like zelda).

It's truly reminiscent of zelda games, but was marketed like a pure action game which it is not (hardest combo is waiting 1 sec before next button press).

The artwork, although sometimes over the top (
upside down wings on Samael for example
), is kinda refreshing.

I would never buy this full price and I'm actually playing a friend's copy that he bought at 20€! I find it a good price for the game.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm also having a good time with this game. I actually stopped progressing in the story line just before the final area, to go get all the trophies that I could, but I am dreading the weapon upgrade grind. Nevertheless, the backtracking is somewhat good since you get to access new areas with the new powers (like zelda).

It's truly reminiscent of zelda games, but was marketed like a pure action game which it is not (hardest combo is waiting 1 sec before next button press).

The artwork, although sometimes over the top (
upside down wings on Samael for example
), is kinda refreshing.

I would never buy this full price and I'm actually playing a friend's copy that he bought at 20€! I find it a good price for the game.

Yeah, the weapon grind sort of sucked...there's an enhancement you can equip to get more XP out of kills, but I just cycled between the level where you first meet Vulgrim and Samael's Prison. There may be a better place to enemies but I couldn't think of one. Took a few hours each. At that point just put on a few of your favorite albums and grind it out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Darksiders remains one of the freshest sleepers of its year. Essentially, the team at Vigil wrote a big smoochy love letter to classic era video games and game play concepts, seen through a modern lens. Even the art style and color palette evokes the chunky warmth of 16-bit games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's times like this that I'm astonished that Darksiders is a better Zelda game than Skyward Sword.

I played through Darksiders on PS3, and I'm tempted to get it on PC and play through it again at some point. Such a great game.

Can't wait for Darksiders 2.

Kai Dracon

It's times like this that I'm astonished that Darksiders is a better Zelda game than Skyward Sword.

I played through Darksiders on PS3, and I'm tempted to get it on PC and play through it again at some point. Such a great game.

Can't wait for Darksiders 2.

LOL; well, Darksiders is better as a more traditional Zelda game; it's obviously a tribute to that style of action-RPG design.

Yeah, the weapon grind sort of sucked...there's an enhancement you can equip to get more XP out of kills, but I just cycled between the level where you first meet Vulgrim and Samael's Prison. There may be a better place to enemies but I couldn't think of one. Took a few hours each. At that point just put on a few of your favorite albums and grind it out.

The balance for XP grind is probably the only flaw in the game. It's definitely too long. I played my game on hard, and the combat is no joke there; gets quite tough. But even with the swarm of enemies at that level the grind still takes too long.

krzy123

Playing this right now as well,
Just got Ruin, this "dungeon" is pretty sweet, would be sweeter if the controller analog stick acceleration wasn't borked
, if only they got rid of the lame shadow arenas time fillers.

Bought Affliction :eek:, straight killer even at lvl 1. Playing normal.

hayguyz

Banned
Can someone tell me if I'm close to the end? I just
beat Silitha and am now in the Black Throne. Is this the final area?

forrest

formerly nacire

There is a room in the
spider dungeon where about 20 or so of the little spiders
will respawn by leaving the room. Just kill them all, then leave and return to kill them again. Rinse and repeat. Pretty boring grind to be honest, but definitely the best place I could find.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Finished this up last weekend. It's an alright title. Puzzles were decent to bad, combat was kind of boring. Environments were decent but at times too vast and empty. Weapon grinding was terrible. I think it's a passable first shot at a series, but they'll have to make an Assassin's Creed 2 type of improvement to capture my attention in the future.

Oh, it definitely has the worst economy I've seen in a game, however. Polar opposite of Zelda's ''too many rupees''. Never enough to sustain yourself and also buy up 'health potions'. I think most of my 8 bottles were never used/filled.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
OK... so I bought this thanks to the PSN sale. I'd picked it up before, but first impression was pretty bad, and I quickly sold it.

I'm glad I gave the game another chance, because it's awesome as hell. (and really is Zelda haha)

But I'm stuck. I'm on the first real boss in the game... top of the tower. I have the first part of the fight down to a science, having done it a million times now. Don't even lose heath on it.

But when the thing finally comes down on the ground to fight... I just have no idea. Its attacks seem unblockable/undodgeable and they take half my heathbar. There's a "hit O for awesome" sequence that pops up over and over. But it doesn't seem like it does anything. Knocks him back, I run in to get in some hits, and then he smacks me with some massive attack.

I guess the most confusing thing is that there's no feedback. I don't know if I'm doing this wrong... they don't give the boss a heath bar or anything. I have no idea if I'm just pointlessly grinding and not doing any real damage... or if there's some strategy I'm missing?

I'll admit to being kinda bad at the "action" in action games. But I can usually get through them despite this. But this time I've died enough that I felt compelled to seek guidance!

OK... so I bought this thanks to the PSN sale. I'd picked it up before, but first impression was pretty bad, and I quickly sold it.

I'm glad I gave the game another chance, because it's awesome as hell. (and really is Zelda haha)

But I'm stuck. I'm on the first real boss in the game... top of the tower. I have the first part of the fight down to a science, having done it a million times now. Don't even lose heath on it.

But when the thing finally comes down on the ground to fight... I just have no idea. Its attacks seem unblockable/undodgeable and they take half my heathbar. There's a "hit O for awesome" sequence that pops up over and over. But it doesn't seem like it does anything. Knocks him back, I run in to get in some hits, and then he smacks me with some massive attack.

I guess the most confusing thing is that there's no feedback. I don't know if I'm doing this wrong... they don't give the boss a heath bar or anything. I have no idea if I'm just pointlessly grinding and not doing any real damage... or if there's some strategy I'm missing?

I'll admit to being kinda bad at the "action" in action games. But I can usually get through them despite this. But this time I've died enough that I felt compelled to seek guidance!

Dash attack is your friend for all encounters.

With regards to beating the first boss, when you do the 'awesome' attack, hit her 3-4 times and dash away before she can activate her big attack. Rinse and repeat a few times and you'll beat her.

She's the hardest boss in the entire game, mainly as you're so weak and have so few moves/powers. Take your time, follow the above tips and you'll beat her in next to no time.

Evolved1

Dash attack is your friend for all encounters.

With regards to beating the first boss, when you do the 'awesome' attack, hit her 3-4 times and dash away before she can activate her big attack. Rinse and repeat a few times and you'll beat her.

She's the hardest boss in the entire game, mainly as you're so weak and have so few moves/powers. Take your time, follow the above tips and you'll beat her in next to no time.

Thank you. I was thinking along these lines... but I guess I was getting too greedy. I did it the "right" way a few times but it felt like I didn't make a dent, and that there must be another solution.

Edit: Beaten. And Speedy was so much more concise! :p

Yeah I died a few times fighting Tiamat (just started the game myself - it's awesome), basically, when she is on the ground with you, you just have to persevere and keep hitting her until she goes down for good.

If you hit her enough, she will shriek and just sit there on the ground panting (not the same as after the QTE sequence), this is an opportunity to attack, but don't stay too long because she will just do that annoying ground pounding attack. When she has done this twice, you're close to killing her.

Also, run around the area charging and releasing the ____ (that blade thing you throw!). You can also go in close for quick attacks (I used the sythe because it has the furthest reach) and quickly dash away. Another good opportunity to get in some hits is the most obvious; straight after the QTE.

This probably didn't help, but just keep trying, it's actually a pretty easy battle in retrospect.

Thank you. I was thinking along these lines... but I guess I was getting too greedy. I did it the "right" way a few times but it felt like I didn't make a dent, and that there must be another solution.

I had the same problem, I kept dying as I thought I was supposed to keep hitting away until she died.

The lack of a health bar is somewhat annoying, but I'm not sure having one would suit the aesthetic of the game. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix in the sequel that doesn't ruin the 'clean' feel of the game and its hud.

I had the same problem, I kept dying as I thought I was supposed to keep hitting away until she died.

The lack of a health bar is somewhat annoying, but I'm not sure having one would suit the aesthetic of the game. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix in the sequel that doesn't ruin the 'clean' feel of the game and its hud.

Oh? I just kept beating the shit out of her until she dropped. lol.

The balance for XP grind is probably the only flaw in the game. It's definitely too long. I played my game on hard, and the combat is no joke there; gets quite tough. But even with the swarm of enemies at that level the grind still takes too long.

Pretty much the only solution to this is to be aware right from the start of the problem and ONLY ever use your secondary weapons and just ignore the sword for the entire game (since it gets upgraded to full strength when you get the Armageddon Blade anyway).

Oh, and the grind for money to upgrade your spells/abilities is even worse (it'd probably take like an additional 10-15 postgame hours to upgrade all of my spells to level 3). The game needed New Game+ for that stuff, in my opinion.

Oh? I just kept beating the shit out of her until she dropped. lol.

It's more of a hit and run scenario once she's on the ground as her attacks take a helluva lot of health if they connect.

The rest of the bosses can easily be defeated by standing your ground and spamming attacks, which was somewhat disappointing but didn't really take much away from the game as a whole.

Evolved1

Pretty much the only solution to this is to be aware right from the start of the problem and ONLY ever use your secondary weapons and just ignore the sword for the entire game (since it gets upgraded to full strength when you get the Armageddon Blade anyway).

Oh, and the grind for money to upgrade your spells/abilities is even worse (it'd probably take like an additional 10-15 postgame hours to upgrade all of my spells to level 3). The game needed New Game+ for that stuff, in my opinion.

That's one thing I noticed... I'm going out of my way to collect souls, but shit is expensive!

What do mean mean about not upgrading the sword? Don't buy attacks?

That's one thing I noticed... I'm going out of my way to collect souls, but shit is expensive!

What do mean mean about not upgrading the sword? Don't buy attacks?

I mean don't ever attack with the sword, just with the scythe (and, eventually, the gauntlet).

ArjanN

It's more of a hit and run scenario once she's on the ground as her attacks take a helluva lot of health if they connect.

The rest of the bosses can easily be defeated by standing your ground and spamming attacks, which was somewhat disappointing but didn't really take much away from the game as a whole.

On normal maybe. There's no way you can tank the giant teleporting spider boss on hard.

And there's a couple of other bosses that have some sort of puzzle solution as well, like the giant golem that requires the portal power.

Sagitario

There is this area in the desert where you can farm souls pretty quickly thanks to a bug. Search for it on Youtube (Y).

krzy123

I think some or all the wrath powers go to lvl 4? I bought lvl 3 afflication (7500!!) and there was another upgrade for (12000!!), but w/ a Legendary Enhancement that boosts wrath damage, im still wrecking shit at lvl 2, I ended up reloading and using the souls on other stuff.

I like using the sword better than scythe, plus on the PC there is no harvester. Just beat the
three guardians in black throne

9 hours in now, up to
the iron canopy

Just realised that I have never used any Wrath powers. Anyone else not bother? I completely forgot they existed :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
9 hours in now, up to
the iron canopy

Just realised that I have never used any Wrath powers. Anyone else not bother? I completely forgot they existed :/

I played on the hardest difficulty, and found them useful in a pinch. I used them quite a bit.

Evolved1

I think I might be done with this... I'm not really that far into it. At a spot in the
desert
and basically stuck on a really obnoxious fight. I suck apparently. Whatever. I haven't found the last few hours very compelling, so I'm not terribly motivated to push through.

I guess the game is pretty cool though. Don't regret the $15... played this more than some stuff I buy full price.

Guess it's just more action game than it is Zelda. And I don't really like action games. (I played GOWIII for a few hours before putting it done forever -- actually played this more than that!)

I'm curious about the sequel though...

Anyway. I'd recommend this to people who like action games. There were a couple good puzzles as well.

Kai Dracon

and that is the only good type of Zelda, my good sir.

Actually, Skyward Sword is far more like Darksiders than it is like previous 3D Zeldas.

Darksiders modifies the 3D Zelda formula with maze-like overworld sub sections, and has a ton of combat with a more complex system. The main difference between SS and Darksiders, is that Darksiders does have unlockable shortcuts on the ground between different areas.

Past that though, they are both pretty parallel in how they evolve the 3D Zelda framework.

I think Darksiders hits a sweet spot with a lot of gamers cuz it's literally "Zelda for hardcore", rather than being family friendly. (And I mean that in more ways than just the game rating or art style.)

In fact, the only thing I'm concerned about for Darksiders II, is the variety and art... this is a very rich, colorful game with a wide variety of environments and interesting locals. I'm hoping DS II doesn't end up focusing too much on the grey-blue netherworld that is all I've seen in the shots so far.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
9 hours in now, up to
the iron canopy

Stoneskin is a must on Apocalyptic, but otherwise they're useless and poorly thought out, like most of the combat elements.

Maffis

Seems like we can expect new Darksiders 2 footage very soon, at least according to their facebook page and twitter feed. I, for one, can't wait. My most anticipated game of 2012.

Top Bottom