• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Arde5643

Amir0x said:
God of War's combat is very fast paced, and frankly the artstyle of Darksiders didn't seem very good to me at all. God of War has a vastly superior art direction, if you ask me. The vistas in a God of War game are simply insane.

But all that's behind me now. If this is like ZELDA, I am fucking all in. COME TO ME
I guess I just don't really care for the gameplay system on GOW then - actually, the only 3D brawlers I've really liked so far are DMC1, DMC3, and God Hand.

I was interested with the combat in Darksiders mostly because I feel it is as fast paced as DMC3.

dralla

this game sounds great on paper, I just can't get into it when I see the vids. The graphics definitely don't do this game any favors.

I just found out that the next semester starts, uh, 15 days later than I thought, so I have more free time and might check this out. What is this all about the PS3 vs 360 version? I have both systems, I just don't know which to get on. I glanced through the last page and there are tearing issues on the 360 version or something?

fallagin

I had no idea this would turn out so well. I was ready to completely forget about this. This just adds to a year full of sleeper hits. To highlight a few there was Red Faction Geurilla, Ghost busters, Batman Arkham Asylum, Xmen Origins Wolverine, Demons Soul's and others. This was a very good year for gaming.

Arde5643

Linkzg said:
I just found out that the next semester starts, uh, 15 days later than I thought, so I have more free time and might check this out. What is this all about the PS3 vs 360 version? I have both systems, I just don't know which to get on. I glanced through the last page and there are tearing issues on the 360 version or something?
Some reviewers took off 1% from the 360 version due to some tearing issue so the scores between the PS3 and 360 versions are: 93% and 92%, which pretty much means the tearing problem is overblown by forumers as usual.

I'd say get it on the console with the controller you like to use the most to play adventure games with.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Linkzg said:

Both the 360 and PS3 versions are basically ported from the PC, and Vigil even had a dedicated team to working on the PS3 version. All signs point towards both versions being nearly identical, with only the 360 tearing difference being the only real difference suggested.

If you want to be absolutely sure you have the best version, wait for the side-by-side comparisons to come out. But if you're just trying to avoid a Bayonetta type of situation, you have nothing to worry about. Just get it for whichever console you prefer.

Cruzader

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Why the heck would people still say this game is a GOW clone since the only thing similar to GOW is its gore?

First off, no emo characters (so far War doesn't seem to be emo, just stoic), fast paced gameplay (unlike GoW's that always slows down and stops for the QTE scenes), actual platforming and actual overworld, no forced immature-ish nudity (oh hey, boobs and sex in GOW! woohoo!), and last, artstyle that's pretty much completely different from GOW's.

Is this game saddled to be called a GOW clone just because that crappy clone Dante's Inferno is also coming up?

Hmm compared to Dante's Inferno, Darksiders aint a GOW clone. You can tell it has its own thing going on. I was lookingat some videos and I must say that the gameplay looks a bit better than GOW since it has a free camera controls plus the slick target lock thing ala Zelda. Im digging it.

Not bashing DI. From what I played, it seems like a GOW clone that plays well. But there is no way Darksiders should be called a GOW clone.

Firestorm

fallagin said:
I had no idea this would turn out so well. I was ready to completely forget about this. This just adds to a year full of sleeper hits. To highlight a few there was Red Faction Geurilla, Ghost busters, Batman Arkham Asylum, Xmen Origins Wolverine, Demons Soul's and others. This was a very good year for gaming.
Technically this is 2010 =P

Firestorm

ZealousD said:
This game has trailers from fuckton and back. I can understand how you might have missed the fact that it's more like Zelda than GoW, but how could this have been the first time you've heard of the game? Do you guys just not go to gaming sites besides GAF?
I visit:

GAF
1up
Gamasutra

My other forums aren't 100% video game related.

So yeah, unless someone's talking about it, I don't know it exists I guess. I also get Edge monthly but I haven't been reading it thoroughly. Games that have the highest level of awareness of me are either at press conferences or post-release when people are talking about it (see: Demon's Souls). That and podcasts (4 Guys 1 Up, Out of the Game).

kamspy

Wow. Game went straight under my radar. Didn't think that could happen anymore.

Thanks for unGAFFING then reGAFFING GAF, GAF. It's nice to be surprised again.

Firestorm

Title should be editted to DARKSIDERS | The Official Thread | These Are Your Last Days | THIS IS LIKE ZELDA! DO YOU LIKE ZELDA? CLICK HERE

Arde5643

Cruzader said:
Hmm compared to Dante's Inferno, Darksiders aint a GOW clone. You can tell it has its own thing going on. I was lookingat some videos and I must say that the gameplay looks a bit better than GOW since it has a free camera controls plus the slick target lock thing ala Zelda. Im digging it.

Not bashing DI. From what I played, it seems like a GOW clone that plays well. But there is no way Darksiders should be called a GOW clone.
It actually "borrows" Zelda's targeting instead of DMC's crap targeting thank goodness. :lol

Arde5643 said:
Why the heck would people still say this game is a GOW clone since the only thing similar to GOW is its gore?

First off, no emo characters (so far War doesn't seem to be emo, just stoic), fast paced gameplay (unlike GoW's that always slows down and stops for the QTE scenes), actual platforming and actual overworld, no forced immature-ish nudity (oh hey, boobs and sex in GOW! woohoo!), and last, artstyle that's pretty much completely different from GOW's.

Is this game saddled to be called a GOW clone just because that crappy clone Dante's Inferno is also coming up?

Sounds like somebody who never played GoW.

Arde5643

SuperSonic1305 said:
Sounds like somebody who never played GoW.
Played both 1st and 2nd one - although I have to admit, I never tried to finish the games. I usually get to about 50% and after that ignored it to play other games.

Always had my eye on this one. Might have to pick it up as a kick-off for 2010. Really can't wait to play this game. So much to do, so little time!

ZealousD

Firestorm said:
Title should be editted to DARKSIDERS | The Official Thread | These Are Your Last Days | THIS IS LIKE ZELDA! DO YOU LIKE ZELDA? CLICK HERE

:lol I thought about doing something like "of Zelda meets God of War" or something like that, but putting the names of other games in the title seemed wrong, somehow. =P I almost went with "of Dungeons and Demons".

kamspy

Firestorm said:

Thread title change request!

I would have been keen on this game much sooner.

Oh, and modern cars/backdrops + oversized swords is like black leather jackets. Just never goes out of style.

Arde5643

Firestorm said:
Excellent idea!!

Mod stat!! Get the title change please! :D

kamspy

Title change just added how many sales I wonder?

I saw some pics a month or so ago and wrote it off as some RPG/RTS hybrid PC game (art style). Turns out it's a console hack n slach adventure!

Who knew? :p

forrest

formerly nacire
I've been following the game for a couple years now, since a friend went to work over at Vigil on this project. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly suprised at just how gorgeous this game can look and at how cohesive the art style is. It really sets a tone for a believable atmosphere.

It's nice to see people catching wind of the game and getting hyped up! I've been pretty disappointed with many of the knee jerk reactions around the net to Darksiders, but as more and more of the game gets explained and shown more and more people are jumping on board!

Anyone wanting to know more, I strongly suggest heading over to gametrailers and watching the numerous videos they have for Darksiders. There are some really great official vids, showing off characters, items, weapons, enemies, etc.

Also I would imagine lensoftruth.com will be doing a nice comparison between the two versions in their head2head series. The are very unbiased and, in my opinion, have been spot on in the comparisons I've checked out there.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
ZealousD said:
Why would you need to import? It's practically a worldwide simultaneous release!

Because Australian prices are batshit insane. It's a lot cheaper to import games, although it really depends on the game of course.

SamBishop

Banned
ZealousD said:
Both the 360 and PS3 versions are basically ported from the PC, and Vigil even had a dedicated team to working on the PS3 version. All signs point towards both versions being nearly identical, with only the 360 tearing difference being the only real difference suggested.

If you want to be absolutely sure you have the best version, wait for the side-by-side comparisons to come out. But if you're just trying to avoid a Bayonetta type of situation, you have nothing to worry about. Just get it for whichever console you prefer.

Ding ding ding!

ZealousD said:

well, if there is a PC version I'd prefer that (I checked Amazon and didn't see it) but I really not crazy about either system. I can enjoy it just as much on either system, but if one stands above, I'd get it for that. I'm in no rush to get the game. I will probably play Bayonetta the week it's release and wait to hear some news.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm all over this

For some reason I totally love heaven/hell games in almost any form. But for some reason, most of them are pretty mediocre.

If this turns out to be a well done Zelda/GoW mashup with lots of angels and demons, I'll be very happy

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the game has the word 'Dark' in the title, so I'm going to have to wait until I hear first hand GAF impressions on principle alone

.nimrod

does anybody already have the 360 version?

i haven't seen any tearing in videos and maybe it's like RE5, where there's only tearing if you set your 360 to 1080p

.nimrod said:
does anybody already have the 360 version?

i haven't seen any tearing in videos and maybe it's like RE5, where there's only tearing if you set your 360 to 1080p

Watch something like the 30 minues play through on IGN listed in OP. A fair amount of tearing, whereas I couldn't make any out in the Gamersyde footage ...but, there's some Gametrailers footage of the PS3 and there's TONS of tearing in it (probably early build).

TheFallen

AgentOtaku said:
Watch something like the 30 minues play through on IGN listed in OP. A fair amount of tearing, whereas I couldn't make any out in the Gamersyde footage ...but, there's some Gametrailers footage of the PS3 and there's TONS of tearing in it (probably early build).
It's an oddity for sure. Especially with the devs going on their official forums saying the tearing is a likely result of the review discs being green. Still, I await comparisons, I have no preference for either console.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have the 360 version, playing on 1080P. I'll try on 720P and see any difference. I have an embargo though >_> Someone will report before me.

I didn't know it would be any different :/

TheFallen said:
It's an oddity for sure. Especially with the devs going on their official forums saying the tearing is a likely result of the review discs being green. Still, I await comparisons, I have no preference for either console.

Yeah, though it didn't look like there was any tearing in the PS3 version during that German Gamepro review

Either way, I'm still psyched. Actually wish Battlechasers was available in Digital format. Is the comic worth checking out, even if it was never finished?

jett

D-Member
dralla said:
this game sounds great on paper, I just can't get into it when I see the vids. The graphics definitely don't do this game any favors.

I feel about the same. Only footage I've watched of this was the Gametrailers preview, and...well it just doesn't look like a good game to be honest.

Thread title change worked, because I probably would've glossed over the thread without it. I forgot this game even existed, and the name wasn't ringing any bells on its own. This generation doesn't have nearly enough of this style of game. Consider my interest piqued.

lsslave said:
Because I was disagreeing with him disagreeing my game purchase, and found another one that goes against the GAF hive mid? Guess what, the GAF hive mind will have you buy games exclusively on hype that seldom live up to it.

Check GAF backlogs that they never touch, check how many times they replay games vs. just achievement hunt and never touch again.

Don't be a bunch of mindless sheep, I get what I want to get based on what looks good and share the joy with other GAF, and this game is definitely on that list of purchasable games (and was interested but not hyped before, now its just hype, but you can read up on this game before and you'll see how quick the GAF hive changes its mind**edit: referring to Darksiders**)
Whadda maroon. Oh yeah, you're such a daring free thinker for settling on Dante's Inferno over God of War because of a marketing campaign.

:lol

Take that GAF hive mind, you mindless sheep you! Thank God there is one sole genius on this board who has the audacity to stand against the oppressive force of what he can only assume the bleary eyed automatons of GAF must collectively think! I've also heard that besides being boldly individual he happens to be handsome, smart as a whip, a champion in the sack, and extremely modest as well.

Well, shit I'm interested now. Getting this confused with Dark Void, The Void, and Darkstalkers and all...:lol

PC Version? Oh ok :(

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Made up my mind. Instead of buying Bayonetta-el-sucko-version, I will get this game. At least I won't be supporting shitty porting efforts this way. But it's funny that this game came out of nowhere for me. Kinda comparable with Batman: AA last year. Didn't know anything of that game until like a week from release. Based my purchase pure on impressions of people on this forum. That worked out well.

Canova

Banned
The last 2 pages just showed how poorly marketed this game is. It's so promising and yet a lot of people haven't heard it.

I'm still in a quest to find this game early in Toronto. If anyone found it before the 5th, please let me know

Ardorx

Banned
canova said:
The last 2 pages just showed how poorly marketed this game is. It's so promising and yet a lot of people haven't heard it.

I'm still in a quest to find this game early in Toronto. If anyone found it before the 5th, please let me know

THQ isn't exactly kings of marketing. In reality, I wonder if they can even afford a big Marketing budget considering a lot of their top tier games didn't get much attention.

ZealousD

Rez said:
the game has the word 'Dark' in the title, so I'm going to have to wait until I hear first hand GAF impressions on principle alone

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Perfect Dark
Eternal Darkness
Dark Age of Camelot
Thief: The Dark Project
Dark Cloud
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

Top Bottom