• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

krzy123

9 hours in now, up to
the iron canopy

Just realised that I have never used any Wrath powers. Anyone else not bother? I completely forgot they existed :/

I'm near the end, and i use to them to skip annoying battles basically. Affliction is very good at this, no aiming required.

Maffis

New Darksiders 2 screens posted by Vigil on their Facebook page. Not the most interesting pics which is why I am not making a new thread just for these. Got to say though that the artstyle is really great.

aaand done!

Almost 14 hours, hadn't even collected everything, pretty long game.

There was some irritating filler towards the end, and the story could've been more fleshed out, but overall I really enjoyed it - especially the games aesthetic, which is very unique.

Can't wait for the sequel!

Rokam

Just finished, enjoyed it, got a little burnt out in the middle. Used block way more than I thought I would. It was funny bought a shitload of full heals for the last boss and didn't even use one, seemed a little easier than some of the earlier fights but that's alright. The story was pretty damn good, and looking forward to Darksiders 2

chuckycem

I am completely in love with Darksiders. It is not the best game of the gen or anything imo but it has a wonderful charm and character. Can't wait for Darksiders 2.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just finished, enjoyed it, got a little burnt out in the middle. Used block way more than I thought I would. It was funny bought a shitload of full heals for the last boss and didn't even use one, seemed a little easier than some of the earlier fights but that's alright. The story was pretty damn good, and looking forward to Darksiders 2 which comes out on my birthday!

My birthday is also in the vague area of "summer".
[Darksiders 2 does not have fixed release date yet]

Rokam

My birthday is also in the vague area of "summer".
[Darksiders 2 does not have fixed release date yet]

Doh you're right it's Risen 2, oh well more time to save up some money, and finish off the inevitable backlog. Quick question about 2 is it going to run concurrent to this storyline or during War's disappearance?

Are there any decent mods for this game? I seen someone post pics in the PC thread with Anti Aliasing but there are no options for it in my game. Assumed it was a mod :p

Deadstar

Just finished, enjoyed it, got a little burnt out in the middle. Used block way more than I thought I would. It was funny bought a shitload of full heals for the last boss and didn't even use one, seemed a little easier than some of the earlier fights but that's alright. The story was pretty damn good, and looking forward to Darksiders 2

Really? I never used block, it seemed like I would still get hit after using it so I would just attack like crazy. I got a little burned out near the end but overall the game was really fun. I just finished it last night. I'm ready for Darksiders 2.

Stoneskin is a must on Apocalyptic, but otherwise they're useless and poorly thought out, like most of the combat elements.

I skipped right to Apocalyptic difficulty cause all the reviews said the default difficulty was too easy (plus, stacking achievements).

Never used stone-skin. Affliction all the way.

The Wrath attacks are useful for crowd control and to buy you some time/space. That's really all they're intended for.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Thread title is wrong, this game is pretty much a GoW game. The combat is close enough, the art is different, but that is about it. The voice for War even sounds like Kratos. It's a good game, got it for $5 on the PC, but it is hard to keep going. The story gives me no motivation, the levels are boring and the puzzles are a bit of a drag.

I'm somewhere in the church demo level, does it get significantly better?

Bought this back when it came out, beat it and sold it. Now I want to play it again. Picked it up when best buy had it for 10. Probably gonna put some time into it this may.

malfcn

Enjoying this so far. They story was a little weird to follow, but Azrael cleared up some of the confusion.
Was the battle supposed to begin when all the seals were broken? Since they didn't break the real 7th seal, did they just say all were broken?

malfcn

Beat it.

Either: I played too much while half asleep, the story wasn't 100% clear, I suck at following stories..I feel like I missed a few things, but overall got it.

malfcn

Wish they would have announced it earlier. They had $10 off last week at THQ store. If you pre-order the game through THQ, you get a season pass. (Darksiders 2).

Just got this pretty cheap and wonder if you recommend playing with keyboard or the gamepad? I just started and keyboard was doing just fine but how about later?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any tips for a new player?

Unless you like dying, don't play on Apocalyptic difficulty. I'm running through it on that difficulty - the game isn't HARD, but you just take a SHIT ton more damage. I died in one hit with 3 reserve bars because I got hit by two hits at the same time from a non-boss enemy. It's just wonky.

Otherwise, the game is pretty straightforward.

Well I started on normal and game is kicking my butt. Haven't died yet but were close quite a few times. It takes like a full combo to kill a normal enemy... whats up with that?
Oh and those mini bosses mess me up like I was a tooth fairy and not War :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well I started on normal and game is kicking my butt. Haven't died yet but were close quite a few times. It takes like a full combo to kill a normal enemy... whats up with that?

In that case, my other tips would be learn to LOVE your dodge button. LOVE IT.

Also, learn to strategically use your lock-on feature. Sometimes, it's best to NOT lock-on to the enemy you want to fight, simply because it allows you to switch up your attack direction on the fly.

Side dashing > back dashing - you can chain side dashes. You cannot chain forward/back dashes.

Don't ever forget that you have the geyser attack (the one that uses rage or whatever it's called). It's a life saver and quite strong, even at level 1.

Buy sword moves. I don't have any in particular that I use more than another, but buy them. They're all great and provide excellent options in combos (the ability to knock an enemy up, back slash the guys behind you, followed by dash piercing some other guys next to you is great). Oh, and they look flashy. :)

One thing I learned playing Apocalyptic - sometimes it's OK to sacrifice yourself to get full health back, haha.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

http://youtu.be/3d2vvs9ZHG4

Learn how to fight and do stuff like this, makes the game 100% more fun.

In short the glave and its upgrade let's you cancel out any attack into it and cancel the glave itself afterwards letting you do what ever afterwards. Thus making the game closer to dmc than gow

woooow... Just to be clear my playing doesn't look anything similar to that :p

Anyway I'm just like 1½ hour in and just bought the scythe (which I thought was a normal weapon and not a secondary) so still at the beginning.

My biggest problem is controlling camera especially after a dash. I dash at the side but it takes aaaaaaages to move camera back so I miss a lot of possible hits that way. And if I use focus than War wont dash but only defend.

*edit*
and did anyone experience some really bad stuttering ? (PC version)

Well, I've had the game since day one, but only now have found time to play it. After dumping in seventeen hours, I'm no longer able to complete the game due to a game breaking glitch. Can't board the elevator in Black Throne, as I fell through it, and now have no way of ascending the tunnel.

What makes me even more angry, is reading a member of the development staff deny that the issue exists, even if there appears to be a plethora of forums on the subject.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, I've had the game since day one, but only now have found time to play it. After dumping in seventeen hours, I'm no longer able to complete the game due to a game breaking glitch. Can't board the elevator in Black Throne, as I fell through it, and now have no way of ascending the tunnel.

What makes me even more angry, is reading a member of the development staff deny that the issue exists, even if there appears to be a plethora of forums on the subject.

I got a way for you to ascend it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfELOeNKkU

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So is screen tearing just an inherent problem of the PC port? I think it's actually worse with V-sync enabled.

Also a little bothered by the unstable frame rate. I get over 100 fps in certain areas and around 40 or lower in others. Wish there was a way to stabilize it somewhere in the middle. Disappointed with the graphics options offered in the menu for PC.

Just curious what experiences people had on PC with this game

So I am one soldier and one champion artifact short. I have Furys Embrace or whatever, maybe I am wrong about it but doesn't it show every artifact on the map? I have been everywhere I can go via serpent holes and also went back to The Hollows. Anyone have any ideas on where the more vague ones are located, or some area I probably missed? Really wanting to platinum this before starting DS2.

I have used google but it brings up videos that don't help me. I wish there was just a big map somewhere that showed everything.

Recently started playing this and loving every moment. However, a I the only one who has an issue with the jump? It doesn't seem to recognize my button pressing like it should.

You aren't alone. I just got done with the game and had issues with th game sometimes not recognizing that I pressed jump. Not really frequent but it happened enough to know I wasn't going nuts. I was ready to write it off as my A button being wonky or my timing being off but then a friend of mine asked me if I was experiencing it too.

Mr.Fresh

I HATE the shitty
Portal Gun
.sections towards the end. Like they made me want to break the disc at times. I hope darksiders 2 doesn't have that. But other then that I enjoyed it.

dLMN8R

Looking for some info on the PC version of the original Darksiders.

I used NVIDIA Inspector to force AA since the control panel wasn't working. AA is now working, but with 8xQ MSAA my FPS is dropping frequently to 40-50 on a GTX 680. Shouldn't the game be performing better than that? Is it a known problem or something I can fix?

Helscream

Banned
I know I am kinda late to hop on the train, but I just wanted to say that after doing a lot of thinking a few days ago I decided to download Darksiders for $20 on the PSN. Got to say, compared to all the flakk the game got from reviewers I really enjoyed the game. There are indeed certain parts of the game that are underwhelming like the the whole section that involves the Griever as well as the boss fight itself was underwhelming. Were as the reuniting with Ruin and fighting the Stygian made me feel like a real badass.

I really liked War's design artistically as well as the way he was written. I felt like he was well balanced and he didn't need to brag or be prideful to prove he was the Horseman of War. Especially at the end of the game when Uriel ask him; "You would waged this war alone?!" And he replies ; "No, not alone". I had a silly ass grin on my face seeing the three other horsemen headed his way. I had the "shit just got real" feeling.

All flaws and annoying parts aside (like the Black Throne) I felt like Darksiders was a great start to a new franchise. The story and characters are set up well to create a really rich universe. I'm going to head out and pick up Darksiders 2 from best buy. Can't wait to sink my teeth back into the Darksiders Universe.

Phatcorns

Just wanted to drop in and say that the combat comes close to ruining this game. Some of the puzzles are entertaining enough, but I don't think this game warrants a comparison to Zelda as the puzzles are not anywhere near involved or complicated enough.

The story is simple and offers nothing new.

Honestly, I'm amazed this game got a sequel. I'm finding it thoroughly mediocre (although very well made, i.e solid controls, graphics, sound) and at times just completely boring.

I'm really quite disappointed as it looked like it could be a pretty cool game. Currently close to the end and I'm going to finish it, but just because I have lots of time on my hands the last few days.

Tizoc

Just started the game met the merchant. Any tips to getting lots of souls to trade for the stuff her trades for?

Top Bottom