• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (Wii U/PS4/XBO/PC) info and screenshots

As good a place as any, is deathinitive worth buying? I loved darksiders 1

I feel like DS2 gets dumped on a lot and is labeled as a lazy port by most accounts, but I bought it during the recent PSN sale and loved it. I've never played it before (although I did play DS1 and loved it back in the day), so I don't really have a frame of reference for comparison.

I did notice an occasional frame hiccup, but nothing that really jumped out at me (although I'm not terribly sensitive to them to begin with), and there were a few times that I glitched a bit and ended up needing to go back to the menu or closing the game. But that was maybe... I don't know... 3 times in over 20+ hours of gameplay? And the game autosaves quite often, so I never actually lost much of my progress.

So it's entirely possible it's a lazy port, but for someone playing this for the first time, I thought it was an awesome game and looked rather good on my PS4. Just my two cents.

Norci7

Fixed
UEE42ja.jpg

Hahaha, well played.

RPGCrazied

Nice. They are doing it. They are really going for a 3, well, they did pay a pretty penny for the ip, so understandable.

Almost there, now just release a set with this and Darksiders 2 Deathinitive edition and I'll bite.

I feel like DS2 gets dumped on a lot and is labeled as a lazy port by most accounts, but I bought it during the recent PSN sale and loved it. I've never played it before (although I did play DS1 and loved it back in the day), so I don't really have a frame of reference for comparison.

I did notice an occasional frame hiccup, but nothing that really jumped out at me (although I'm not terribly sensitive to them to begin with), and there were a few times that I glitched a bit and ended up needing to go back to the menu or closing the game. But that was maybe... I don't know... 3 times in over 20+ hours of gameplay? And the game autosaves quite often, so I never actually lost much of my progress.

So it's entirely possible it's a lazy port, but for someone playing this for the first time, I thought it was an awesome game and looked rather good on my PS4. Just my two cents.

Don't know about PS4, but there is definitely something wrong with it on PC, I have a reasonably powerful PC that should be able to run it at a locked 60FPS, except there are instances where it drops down to 15. Yes, fucking 15, while inside a blank grey canyon. Also one instance of an unwinnable boss fight because it always crashes about a minute in.

Zojirushi

That's why they're doing this. To gauge interest in the series to see if it's worth it and just how much it's worth.

People keep saying this whenever people complain about lame ass remasters but do we actually have some examples of new games being released because a remaster was successful before that?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Don't know about PS4, but there is definitely something wrong with it on PC, I have a reasonably powerful PC that should be able to run it at a locked 60FPS, except there are instances where it drops down to 15. Yes, fucking 15, while inside a blank grey canyon. Also one instance of an unwinnable boss fight because it always crashes about a minute in.

For Deathinitive you have to opt in to the beta update to get the latest patch, it should fix the performance and boss crash. Even then, lower the shadow setting a tick, the shadow rendering is the most demanding option.

For Deathinitive you have to opt in to the beta update to get the latest patch, it should fix the performance and boss crash. Even then, lower the shadow setting a tick, the shadow rendering is the most demanding option.

Tried the beta, didn't work, framerate was unaffected by lowering settings to minimum.

At $15 - $20 I might buy a Wii U and PS4 version. I got really close to the end of the game on PS3, never finished it seems like a good excuse to play through it again and finish it.

Siegfried

Yeah, let's release the remaster of the first game, leave the remaster of the second broken and completely ignore the complains of the community. Good luck to anyone buying this, you really shouldn't until the devs fix the other one.

TheMoon

Where's the PR?

Edit: Reinhard told me on twitter that as the PR bit above shows, it is out on Oct 25th WW and it IS PC-bound. :)

Your original post already included PC, though? :D

PR is on GamesPress. Got the snippet I posted from a buddy.

I've played the ps3 version I long time ago and the screen tearing was so annoying but I've never finished it.

I don't mind 30fps for this game, so if the performance is good I'm gonna get this on Wii U 'cause it's the only platform which I own DS2 (thanks humble bundle!) so I can have the full package in one console, offscreen gameplay while relaxing in bed is always a nice bonus too.

I platinum'd the game back then, I don't remember any screen tearing?!

People keep saying this whenever people complain about lame ass remasters but do we actually have some examples of new games being released because a remaster was successful before that?

System Shock 3 (after a mere enhanced SS2 re-release, not even a full remaster)

Yeah, let's release the remaster of the first game, leave the remaster of the second broken and completely ignore the complains of the community. Good luck to anyone buying this, you really shouldn't until the devs fix the other one.

Different devs.

But in the Darksiders screens specifically, what are people looking at? I just see screenshots lol.

DieH@rd

Banned
Since it is coming out in October, ps4 version will have to have Neo support built in. I wonder if devs will try to optimize it for 4K, and will the 1080p users get any benefit.

TheMoon

What the hell guys, I'll just post the damn whole PR here lol

Not like it's some secret or anything.

lol @ the highlighted part :D

http://gamespress.com/release.asp?c=9b3452--139328
PRESS RELEASE
Darksiders Warmastered Edition coming to console platforms and PC

War and Ruin will ”take care“ of the whistleblower who sang about it prematurely, and subsequently release on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii U and PC

Vienna, AUSTRIA - July 28, 2016: Today Nordic Games officially announced Darksiders Warmastered Edition coming to PC, PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii U.

The release for all platforms is set for October 25th 2016, and it will retail for USD/EUR 19.99, and GBP 14,99, respectively. Darksiders Warmastered Edition is being developed by the experienced developers at KAIKO, who have already been involved with some of Nordic Games’ projects in the past, like the Xbox One Version of Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition and Legend of Kay Anniversary (all platforms).

Comparison shots between the original and the Warmastered Edition will be published early next week.

"We had a short-lived epidemic of premature emancipation, causing the affected persons to burp out sensitive info a little sooner than planned,” says Philipp Brock, PR & Marketing Director at Nordic Games, and continues “but after a minor surgery and some medication, we got it all under control.”

Darksiders Warmastered Edition Features:
§ PS4, Xbox One and Wii U versions of Darksiders (Wrath of War)
§ Native 1080p rendering resolution for console platforms
§ 4k support and additional video options for PC <--- this is new
§ Doubled all the texture resolutions
§ Rendering improvements and rework
§ Better shadow rendering quality
§ Post processing effects
§ 60 FPS in moment to moment gameplay (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 30 for WiiU)

About Darksiders Warmastered Edition:
Deceived by the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of the world, War &#8211; the first Horseman of the Apocalypse &#8211; stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between Heaven and Hell. In the slaughter that ensued, the demonic forces defeated the heavenly hosts and laid claim to the Earth.

Brought before the sacred Charred Council, War is indicted for his crimes and stripped of his powers. Dishonored and facing his own death, War is given the opportunity to return to Earth to search for the truth and punish those responsible.

Hunted by a vengeful group of Angels, War must take on the forces of Hell, forge uneasy alliances with the very demons he hunts, and journey across the ravaged remains of the Earth on his quest for vengeance and vindication.
§ Apocalyptic Power &#8211; Unleash the wrath of War, combining brutal attacks and
supernatural abilities to decimate all who stand in your way
§ Extreme Arsenal &#8211; Wield a devastating arsenal of angelic, demonic and Earthly
weapons; and blaze a trail of destruction atop Ruin, War&#8217;s fiery phantom steed
§ Epic Quest &#8211; Battle across the wastelands and demon-infested dungeons of the
decimated Earth in your quest for vengeance and redemption
§ Character Progression &#8211; Uncover powerful ancient relics, upgrade your weapons,
unlock new abilities, and customize your gameplay style
§ Battle Heaven and Hell &#8211; Battle against all who stand in your way - from war-weary
angelic forces to Hell&#8217;s hideous demon hordes

About Nordic Games GmbH
Nordic Games GmbH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nordic Games Group AB, focusing on computer- and video games for PC/MAC/Linux and present/past console platforms. Founded in 2011, the Vienna/Austria based company puts great emphasis on its extensive game catalogue. The core portfolio comprises products and brands which have been acquired from various parties (THQ, Atari, and others), and further acquisitions of IPs and trademarks will follow.
The company will pursue the long-term goal of delivering quality products that live up to expectations of gamers worldwide.
www.nordicgames.at

About KAIKO
KAIKO is a video game development studio founded in 2014 by German industry veteran Peter Thierolf, located in Frankfurt/Main, Germany.

Developing games since the early 90s, including Amiga classics like Apydia and Turrican 3, Peter Thierolf is one of the most experienced game developers in Germany. Before founding KAIKO, Peter was the technical director of the studio Keen Games for nearly ten years.

KAIKO is focused on the development of high quality console games, supporting all common video game platforms.

Yeah, no. It had tearing, and was very bad in spots on ps3.

You can't say no, because saying no will not make me remember it :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Tried the beta, didn't work, framerate was unaffected by lowering settings to minimum.

That fucking sucks, I've heard that it's a complete hit or miss no matter your specs of people too. I got lucky and it actually runs better than the original release did, but its current state is fucking shameful, hope Nordic gets a ton of shit for it, pushing out this remaster while 2's in the sorry state it is in on PC is a disgrace.

Experien

Temptation is strong since I LOVED this game and would rather see more like this than the sequel.

But I have already Platinumed it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
WARMASTERED! I knew they will have something crazy in the name. :D

edit - chromatic aberration is SOOOOOOOOOOO over the top strong. WHY
Yeah it looks fucking dumb. I can kind of understand it for games that are trying for a realistic look, even though I dislike it. But for a game like this? What the hell?

TheMoon

No I meant they were referring to the reporter at the announcement at the EURO event and are they upset at the reporter for maybe breaking NDA or the co-founder for even saying anything? Which is weird as that's like one of the top people at the company.

And for myself, I was thinking about that initial twitter conversation.

*shrug*

October 25th is the date, they just announced it.

The full PR is right above you :)

Date was floating around at the event too^^

RPGCrazied

October 25th?

Why oh why, that is the day I'm getting the Last Guardian CE and World of Final Fantasy. Oh well, I'll wait I guess.

NeoRaider

I am still wondering who told them to publish these screenshots...
I think that my 3 y.o. cousin would capture better screens.

One of my favorite games from last gen. Double dipped when it went super cheap on Steam, though I haven't played it there yet.

I'll be tempted to pick this up, but I'll also be tempted to wait either for a sale on PC or seeing this go GWG on the One at some point.

Anyone know whether the Steam version will have some discount for previous buyers?

Even with or without other examples. Nordic games has already expressed interest in continuing the series, they bought the IP and asked to bring over some of the series' devs for a reason. It's really the only obvious conclusion to remastering a game for next gen that seems to have not much more than a cult following. THQ sunk because of how much money they threw at Darksiders II (iirc like 100mil) and it didn't do them any favors. I'm sure Nordic isn't interested in making similar mistakes. So what better way to gauge interest then by remastering old games, looking at how well they're selling and then give the team a budget based off of said information.

TheMoon

Even with or without other examples. Nordic games has already expressed interest in continuing the series, they bought the IP and asked to bring over some of the series' devs for a reason. It's really the only obvious conclusion to remastering a game for next gen that seems to have not much more than a cult following. THQ sunk because of how much money they threw at Darksiders II (iirc like 100mil) and it didn't do them any favors. I'm sure Nordic isn't interested in making similar mistakes. So what better way to gauge interest then by remastering old games, looking at how well they're selling and then give the team a budget based off of said information.

No, THQ sunk because of the uDraw tablet filling up warehouses and their licensed game business blowing up.

Don't know why I didn't notice the NA boxes earlier, thanks! :)

Where did you find them?

The link to the asset zip is in the PR (removed it from my quote post)

krizzx

I'm guessing this is a down port of the PS4/XBOne version which I've always maintained would perform better on the Wii U hardware than trying to up port from the 360/PS3.

Top Bottom