• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DarkSydePhil | OT | The best variety gamer on Youtube & twitch

jono51

Banned
2VIQLFQ.jpg
4Pa0nd7.jpg

Who is DarkSydePhil?
Youtube let's player, reviewer and lifestyle vlogger.

He also streams.

What else do I need to know?
He once ate a KFC double down and thought it was disgusting. That's about it, I think.

Links

Let's plays: https://www.youtube.com/user/DSPGaming

Reviews & montages: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClF...7GElM8Db6NJ5-g

Lifestyle Vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3s...B6kHXsta90N77Q

Twitch: https://go.twitch.tv/darksydephil

Twitter: https://twitter.com/theycallmedsp

Lets discuss, but without all the toxicity that Phil attracts in other places please. Not naming any names.

Loke

Been following Phil since around 2009, used to watch a lot of his content especially his playthroughs back then. Don't watch as much nowadays but still check out his stream from time to time. Certainly an interesting fella.

lifa-cobex

DSP is the go to for learning how to NOT play games.

I remember watching his mgs3 play through whilst fighting The End and The Boss.
It made me want to eat glass.

Edit: Also wasn't he the guy who left his stream running whist jacking off?

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned

It is simply...... my god

Anyway, he is a very interesting individual. With lots of flaws and stuff, but... still something on him simply shines, keeping people attatched to him.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Was he really making so much money that he could piss away 50k a month a one point and he was still asking for more? 0o

Last edited:

Aces&Eights

Any good videos of him? From my understand he's supposedly "so bad it's good", at least from my impression.
Watch his Dark Souls LPs. Just make sure you are making the face you want stuck for the rest of your life because the cringe will be so hard and strong it will seal it up tight for eternity.

baphomet

His giant ego and shit personality destroyed his YouTube channel. Couldn't have picked anyone less deserving of an OT.

Orpheum

I only know him because of the "This is how you DON'T play" videos on youtube, some of these are outright hilarious/outrageous. In some of these he is beyond terrible and his near constant complaining is awfully annoying. So i decided to check him out live. Turns out he's not as bad as these videos make him out to be. What he is however, is a really sad beggar. I only hear him bitching about money and to be honest he seems to be a really unfriendly person in general.

I think people hate him because he comes across as a total wanker

i see what you did there^^

Last edited:

TheDude108

Isn't he the guy who jerked off, dodged taxes, threatened a child, slagged off his recently deceased aunt and constantly begs for money on stream?

Last edited:
i like dsp but its more of i see the shit he does and laugh. in all honesty he probably knows thats what a portion of what people do when they watch anything he does. it kind of sucks at the same time because once people realize it they just become their own like caricature like tommy wiseau

Iggzy

Isn't he the guy who jerked off, dodged taxes, threatened a child, slagged off his recently deceased aunt and constantly begs for money on stream?
It's the guy, and he screwed over his friends back in Connecticut, and he keeps screwing his fans who pay for certain game playthrought, just to watch him rage quit any game that requires any skill, he'll happily playthrough any telltale game though.

lvl8

I love how he's unaware that he's pointing out how he fucks things up.

- throws hadoken
- opponent jumps in for a combo
- gets nailed
- "c'mon I was pressing buttons" that's why you got hit retard, just block
- gets up
- caught in another combo
- "look at this, I'm not even doing anything" that's why you're getting rekt, you're not doing anything

I love how he's unaware that he's pointing out how he fucks things up.

- throws hadoken
- opponent jumps in for a combo
- gets nailed
- "c'mon I was pressing buttons" that's why you got hit retard, just block
- gets up
- caught in another combo
- "look at this, I'm not even doing anything" that's why you're getting rekt, you're not doing anything

i mean. its funny

Nymphae

Banned
So I had never heard of this guy before, and after watching some SFV videos recently, I found him through Youtube.

I have never seen something quite like that, it's unreal. I watched a couple hours of compilations, and I didn't see more than 3 or 4 times where he acknowledged that he was bested in any sense (usually just for a single move, the next hit he would be complaining again). LTG videos are pretty great too, I've discovered a new love for watching people get salty in online fighters lol.

Then I watched some Down the Rabbit Hole video explaining DSP's whole "career", and shit this guy is a trainwreck. I almost feel bad for him.

Last edited:
Phil is miserably inadequate at everything he does besides scamming children and tortured, emotionally-damaged people for money. He's the physical embodiment of repulsiveness. Joseph Stalin has more compassion and redeeming qualities than Phil. John Doe from the movie Se7en would have no need to contrive such a clever plot had he known Phil. He'd just murder Phil and call it a night.

Ka-Kui

I think people need to give him some slack. He's mentioned/insinuated before that he knows that he's not very good. In his reviews he tends to be fair and not judge a game based on how bad he is at sonething or at least that's the impression I get.

You watch him for gis hilarious commentary and fails. You either like that or you don't.

His Heavy Rain playthrough is just pure quality IMO.

I don't think he deserves the hatred he often gets, in the end he is a flawed human being just like we all are. And this man has flaws a plenty.

What I find more interesting is these things:
1) He is a dinosaur of a long bygone era, the age of long Let's Plays and such. Granted, he managed to build his Twitch presence as his major support line recently, but he's still doing 'em Let's Plays.
2) As a reviewer of games he is even half-way decent. He won't give you a comprehensive review with some intellectual, analytical insights, but I will say that he is good at pointing out flaws or qualities that you don't necessarily hear from other reviews.
3) The ongoing support he gets through donations and his Patreon is telling. I can't imagine there are enough new suporters of him out there. I would assume instead that there actually is a small, yet committed, fan base of his out there that just keeps giving him money. I'd really like to know who these people are. Do they support him because they have found a like-minded individual? Or do they support him out of pity? Or out of nostalgia for the good old days of Heavy Rain Let's Plays where he filmed the screen with a camcorder?

Last edited:
I’m a $1 patreon supporter. I found out about him during the time of Marvel vs Capcom 2’s re-release on ps3/360 in 2009. I was searching for mvc2 videos to learn more about the game and he was one of the top search results. I think he is on a competitive level when it comes to capcom fighting games.

I really only watch the This is how you don't plays by about 4 different YouTubers. Personally find the guys criticism of other people and games in general so hilarious. The guy can't stand to lose and more often than not blames other people or the games themselves for his failures. Fascinating guy. Seems he could have been really big had he just been a little more level headed at the start of his YouTube days.

His financial crisis that pop up every year or so just seem so fake. Always begging.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
So I had never heard of this guy before, and after watching some SFV videos recently, I found him through Youtube.

I have never seen something quite like that, it's unreal. I watched a couple hours of compilations, and I didn't see more than 3 or 4 times where he acknowledged that he was bested in any sense (usually just for a single move, the next hit he would be complaining again). LTG videos are pretty great too, I've discovered a new love for watching people get salty in online fighters lol.

Then I watched some Down the Rabbit Hole video explaining DSP's whole "career", and shit this guy is a trainwreck. I almost feel bad for him.

I'm kinda like you. I discovered him by similar means It is amusing to see them getting salty and blaming lag all the time

This vid is pure gold:

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
best variety gamer on Youtube & twitch

huh, this isn't a thread about Vinny from Vinesauce?

Funny that Phil doesn't even qualify in the top 300 of Variety Streamers. There are some awesome underdogs like LobosJr that really deserve the same spot as Maximilian Dood, but Phil seems like a jihad-like pick. Love it or hate it, like Uganda Knuckles. A living meme on its own

Last edited:
i like dsp but its more of i see the shit he does and laugh. in all honesty he probably knows thats what a portion of what people do when they watch anything he does. it kind of sucks at the same time because once people realize it they just become their own like caricature like tommy wiseau

Nah. The man has zero self-awareness. He had first mover advantage on YT and fucked it all up because he's clueless. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have a personality disorder.

lifa-cobex

Guy seems like he should get an actual job.
Is he in his late thirties or something?Going by that Down the rabbit hole vid. Looks like his ego is off the charts.

Last edited:
Guy seems like he should get an actual job.
Is he in his late thirties or something?Going by that Down the rabbit hole vid. Looks like his ego is off the charts.

He is the biggest joke on the internet and a lazy scammer who thinks he produces "quality content" by endlessly spamming Youtube videos and begging his autistic fans for shekels.

Caffeine

when you got someone named emporerswagginz paying the bills every month you know you are in trouble by age 40.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
DSP is the go to for learning how to NOT play games.

I remember watching his mgs3 play through whilst fighting The End and The Boss.
It made me want to eat glass.

Edit: Also wasn't he the guy who left his stream running whist jacking off?
I'm kinda like you. I discovered him by similar means It is amusing to see them getting salty and blaming lag all the time

This vid is pure gold:

LTG is almost worse than Phil. LTG ragequits all the time, on stream. Like how the fuck can you possibly feel good about yourself for that? Their excuses never cease to amaze me:

1. Beat by a scrub!! - the replies to this are so obvious I just can't believe they still say these things. If the scrub bodied you, how fucking good can you be?
2. LAG - the scrubs favourite excuse lol
3. Picking shoto is cheap - then pick shoto or display your superior knowledge and counter their trash.
4. They're just mashing DP! - if you know they're a masher, then fucking block you idiot

I watched one the other day where LTG was beat by some guy who has some sort of serious medical condition, he has no arms and literally plays SF at a high level with HIS FUCKING FACE. LTG got his ass handed to him and rage quitted before he lost the points. And he just trashes the kid relentlessly for his condition, I'm actually amazed I haven't heard the usual SJW suspects try to bring this guy down a peg.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hes just a fat nerd bad at games other nerds laugh at and feel better by comparison. He doesn't care either way cause he lives off said nerds views. Meh.

jadedm17

Of all the Twitch streamers to make an OP about. Lol.
The backfire here is hilarious. Thanks for the ride OP.

jono51

Banned
I knew Phil would bring us all together here. If anyone here has a close relationship with him it might be worth inviting him over. I'll be donating $500 to him next month, maybe he can stop by and do a mini AMA.

If you're an unironic DSP fan, autism is the least you should worry about.

Hey, now we don't use that word around here. We save that to describe the other people.

Last edited:

Gabrius

He was decent at Super SF2 Turbo back in the day.... the guy he credits as his inspiration was the real deal tho and would've been the Ninja of fighting games if he were still alive today.... RIP Tee Carter <3

lifa-cobex

I knew Phil would bring us all together here. If anyone here has a close relationship with him it might be worth inviting him over. I'll be donating $500 to him next month, maybe he can stop by and do a mini AMA.

Hey, now we don't use that word around here. We save that to describe the other people.
You would be better off giving that money to me.

lifa-cobex

Or almost anyone else on Twitch that hasn't spent $50k in a month and have a shiny BMW but ask for money.... ..but it's also his money so meh.
I bet i can make him a better offer.
If you give me that money. I'll buy a cam and stream any game of your choosing.....
PLUS i'll directly interact with you.
But it get's better...
I can rage harder when I can't get past a point of said game.....
PLUS...
I won't ask you for another penny ever again.
PLUS i'll still have money for my retirement through my own job and wise savings.

Top Bottom