• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DarkSydePhil | OT | The best variety gamer on Youtube & twitch

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Probably this is one of the few topics which both NeoGAF and ResetERA unanimously agree with each other lol

Last edited:
I like to check in with DSP from time to time. I find him interesting in the sense that one might watch an ant farm for a time. I don't hate him and I think its pretty shallow the levels of the people who give him the hate he gets. But he is definitely a goof ball and some of his mishaps are self inflicted. Pun not intended.

Last edited:

lvl8

I knew Phil would bring us all together here. If anyone here has a close relationship with him it might be worth inviting him over. I'll be donating $500 to him next month, maybe he can stop by and do a mini AMA.

Doesn't bother me if people want to give money to DSP. If his vids and antics entertains you that you're donating to him then go right ahead, I won't mock you.

I think anyone making a decent living from streaming is doing a good job, as long as they don't burn their career into the ground by insulting their audience.

The most I donated is $5(I think) to Mike Matei for his Dragon's Lair (NES) playthrough.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I don't watch his content but I do watch the "detractor" edits of his stuff mostly because I find him interesting but I want to see the interesting parts only. Gotta say, sometimes I can relate to the guy because I can rage at some points in games too like him, though he does go over the top with the excuses especially in fighting games. I also don't quite get why so many people hate it when he asks for money, seeing as it's pretty much his job to stream games and ask for donations.

The guy has been caught lying several times though about various stuff, he also has a really high opinion of himself and those moments he asks for money in a way where he passes it off as if he'll be out on the street if people don't hurry up and cough up is pretty gross.

I think anyone making a decent living from streaming is doing a good job, as long as they don't burn their career into the ground by insulting their audience.
DPS does actually do that pretty often.
I knew Phil would bring us all together here. If anyone here has a close relationship with him it might be worth inviting him over. I'll be donating $500 to him next month, maybe he can stop by and do a mini AMA.
From what I understand, you may as well pay him to do the AMA, because he apparently won't do any form of interview without getting paid for it.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member

The video 27 minutes long

That grating cackle after all of his horrendous non-jokes - it's like he's the funniest thing he's ever heard.

I'm hardly sensitive to racial humor, but at least be funny or witty about it. Brutal stuff.

mcz117chief

My favourite experience with DSP. There actually was a small community called The KWO after this incident which I was a part of :)
If I can make a faction on a video game (like Hearts of Iron 4) I always call it Kojima World Order.

Last edited:

klosos

Guys dont be haters , please DSP is a legend and you all know it !!

Men want to be him and women want to be with him , His Rich and good looking. Also This is how you dont plays are scandalous and it hurts his business of sitting on his arse playing games for 6 hours a day , thats real work guys !! show some empathy will you.

for real tho , DSP is a mong a fucking 14 year old living in a 30+ mans body unable to take any responsibility for him self or his life , This is how you dont play's are great entertainment as well. i will give him credit for one thing , Panda Lee is a tasty bit of crumpit.

JimmyJones

Banned
I unashamedly love DSP. I've been watching him from the early SF4 days. I don't give a shit about any sketchy stuff he's done. If you donate to him you're an idiot and that's on you.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
His last streams were good. The guy is really into smash

I haven't tried watching any of his videos in a couple of years. Does he still keep calling people garbage even when they are beating him?

I mean, in a way...I feel sorry for him...but honestly, I hope his trash-talking antics are just a character he plays up for his fans. I have a very difficult time watching anyone who talks trash their opponents...regardless of their skill level.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I mean, in a way...I feel sorry for him...but honestly, I hope his trash-talking antics are just a character he plays up for his fans. I have a very difficult time watching anyone who talks trash about their opponents...regardless of their skill level.

LTG is the worst for this. I saw one video of him getting beat in SFV by a guy who had no arms lol (edit: he has limited use of arms and legs) Dude beats him using Chun Li - with his fucking face. LTG rage quits obviously.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I haven't tried watching any of his videos in a couple of years. Does he still keep calling people garbage even when they are beating him?

I mean, in a way...I feel sorry for him...but honestly, I hope his trash-talking antics are just a character he plays up for his fans. I have a very difficult time watching anyone who talks trash their opponents...regardless of their skill level.

I would almost, allllmost cut the guy a pinch of slack if I believed it was anything close to an act, but I think he is a genuine idiot and a scammer.

I know a lot of people hate on streamers in general, but this guy single handily gives them a bad name.

Nymphae

Banned
This has popped up in my YT feed again because I watch a lot of FGC content, and I've started watching this again occasionally when I'm not gaming.

His attitude is just truly incredible. I've watched hours of his "this is how you don't play" stuff, and it never ceases to amaze me how he acts in online games.

It is always - lag, delay, "online pattern play" from inferior players, dropped inputs, etc. The amount of salt is incredible. He goes on and on about being a "former pro" player, but it's like why did you stop Phil? He never stops complaining about how shitty fighting games are online, but he refuses to play anyone offline. And he is just so obnoxious with his rationalizing and excuses - oh this guy just beat me because he found a tactic that always wins online (because I can't react because of lag/dropped inputs), the constant bragging about his skills - I watched one last night where he is getting destroyed in SF4 by a Sagat player, and he's bitching about him using online pattern play (keeping him out with zoning). He goes into a rage just trying to get out his Super, and then he finally does, it connects, but Sagat wins the round anyway. Phil immediately goes on about how "there, I proved I'm the more skillful player because I can actually hit you with a reaction based move, not just pattern play" He is so fucking clueless it's amazing. You could not write the stuff he just spits out non-stop.

Last edited:
Watch his Bloodborne video when he's fighting Ludwig, it's a classic.

Saw a condensed version of the video. He plays with a leveled character the way I started BL4 attempts on him, minus the raging and blaming the game for my own incompetence.

Was a hard watch and seeing him rage after getting hit once with 20 vials still available to him... hilarious. This guy wouldn't even last in the FRC chalices doing what I do. He'd probably commit suicide. Lol.

I feel bad for people that get their accounts removed or banned for almost nothing yet people like DSP, a complete ebeggar are allowed to reign. The guy literally spends 30 mins to an hour on each stream telling you how he needs $20.000 to pay taxes and needs your money. Every single stream.

You can have a patreon and let people support you but I live for a day when ebegging becomes a bannable action. Point is you play games well and you get donations. Not to moan over an hour of no gameplay how you cant pay your taxes, how you havent seen your parents for years because they live too far (lol) etc

Nymphae

Banned
dsp-oj-jpg.684824

Orenji Neko

I love the videos that make fun of what this guy does. There is a channel called Soma Julius Cruz that creates some really good ones. One of my favs was when DSP attempted to play World of Warcraft and kept getting trolled by people who figured out what server he was on. Watching a mass of players follow him around, emote, throw things at him, dance, and kill whatever he was targeting was hilarious. To be so disliked that you get trolled to that level....I just can't even imagine.

It's funny how he claims he is good at fighting games, yet every time I see a video of him playing one, he constantly makes beginner mistakes, doesn't really seem to understand the mechanics, blames lag, the game, the developers, etc. Of course it's the same excuses he uses when he dies or fucks up in any game, but with fighters it's funnier with the "I myself am a former pro fighting game player....." statement he likes to make.

Shaqazooloo

I think I subscribed to this guy around the time when Starfox Zero came out, didn't watch the playthough, but saw a "This is how you don't play Starfox Zero" video, didn't really watch any of his video's, heard that he masturbated on stream and then I recently watched a "Into the Rabbit hole" on this guy.

He sounds like a pretty big asshole, which I could deal with if it was just a persona for comedic purposes, but it appears that he is being genuine and has a bad attitude. He's full of himself and is unwilling to admit a lose as a fault of his own wrongdoing.

I'm still subscribed to him and I don't watch his video's, but I might give a few of them a shot just to see if I can stand him, also it was really funny seeing him rage quit Starfox, so if he does more of that I'll at least be a little entertained.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
I mostly learned about this guy through the videos showing him fail at games, A.K.A. "TIHYD", I thought he was just some guy really bad at video games, he always likes to flex about him being the "Number 1 American Street Fighter player at EVO 2005" even though the street fighter that was played during that EVO was a broken PS1 port, and many of the top players just didn´t play Street Fighter that year because it was a really bad port.

He seems to never really learn from his mistakes (Even though he´s been playing video games for more than 10 years) and can be pretty rude to his viewers, which are the source of his income.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I remember him tweeting something about how “real” fans or whatever know that he has never rage quit in his entire career.

I love the videos that make fun of what this guy does. There is a channel called Soma Julius Cruz that creates some really good ones. One of my favs was when DSP attempted to play World of Warcraft and kept getting trolled by people who figured out what server he was on. Watching a mass of players follow him around, emote, throw things at him, dance, and kill whatever he was targeting was hilarious. To be so disliked that you get trolled to that level....I just can't even imagine.

It's funny how he claims he is good at fighting games, yet every time I see a video of him playing one, he constantly makes beginner mistakes, doesn't really seem to understand the mechanics, blames lag, the game, the developers, etc. Of course it's the same excuses he uses when he dies or fucks up in any game, but with fighters it's funnier with the "I myself am a former pro fighting game player....." statement he likes to make.

Trust me, he can talk all the shit he wants about other streamers, if he actually played multiplayer as in with a group of people with mics, he would have it 20 times worse than WingsOfRedemption. I think that is why mostly he plays singleplayer games or if he plays MP, even though he has a mic on his headset, he is always muted and never talks because Im sure people stalk him to fuck with him. So this is how he hides but a few times he had his mic on in COD and they demolished him lol. Of course his excuse was, oh I cant play with these trols and shuts down the game. Wings at least sticks through it, more or less. And yes I absolutely love the troll channels!

Last edited:

Shrap

Anyone else waiting for the inevitable "This is how you don't play Death Stranding" video?
Good luck to whoever makes that, it will be a lot of work. I can't count the amount of times he said the game didn't explain a mechanic to him when it clearly did and he was too busy with his chat to notice. He also tried to brute force everything by over encumbering himself constantly and blamed the game when things inevitably went wrong from his own doing.

I actually like watching his videos. I find it cathartic seeing his frustrations and it's increasingly rare to see someone not trying to put on a fake personality for their game streams. He's already a character so it works.

Coconutt

So I use to watch a bunch of Snort Burnell videos but I have stopped that around March, is DSP still streaming?

Top Bottom