• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT4| Realise You're Living in the Golden Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm pretty much done. I can't even bother with online-dating. I have no social life. But hey, my parents and my cat loves me.

#knifeparty

Minamu

Eh, I mean what can I do about it? Maybe I'll get to know them better later or something like that. 'Sides, I'm pretty sure they don't drink (certainly not as much as I), so. Who knows. If an opportunity presents itself I'll see.

And I guess I will hang back and see what happens.
I have the opposite problem, though I choose to not see it as a problem. I think you want this stuff way too much, though I certainly understand why it feels like such a big deal.

I'm pretty much done. I can't even bother with online-dating. I have no social life. But hey, my parents and my cat loves me.

#knifeparty
SweGAF up in here I see. It's almost 4am, go to bed, man :p
#knifeparty; there's no antidote?

waypoetic

Banned
I have the opposite problem, though I choose to not see it as a problem. I think you want this stuff way too much, though I certainly understand why it feels like such a big deal.

SweGAF up in here I see. It's almost 4am, go to bed, man :p
#knifeparty; there's no antidote?

You go to bed!

RevoDS

Very nice OP. A bit too much Brent Smith for my taste, but hey...the rest is awesome. :p

Posting to subscribe, mostly because I like reading all your stories even though I can't bring much help.

waypoetic

Banned

^ Fuck being optimistic and naive. That's some bullshit that's just gonna hurt you/let you down even more when you've realised that - "OH, i guess i forgot that people FUCKING SUCK! This day turned out shitty after all!".

Being realistic and not fucking retarded takes the smiles out of you. Sometimes i wish i was dumb, had no anxiety disorders etc and a fucking social life.

goodfella

I've always thought a girl approaching me would be the best thing that could ever happen.

Well, it happened last week at a club. Her friend came up to me a said that she though I was 'hot'. So under the influence of alcohol and a certain other controlled substance, I approached her. From what I can remember, I apologised twice in the span of this short conversation for being so awkward. I remember touching her arm maybe a couple of times to make physical contact. I believe she said I should 'go back to my friends' and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I really don't know how to feel about this. Is this progress? Fucking up the best opportunity I could have imagined has hurt my confidence in my social skills, in fact I think her approaching me hurt my 'game' some how.

On the plus side, I suppose I must be better looking then I thought, though my insecurities run so deep that even being explicitly told that someone I found attractive (she was way out of what I thought to be my standard) thought I was attractive, I constantly question how that was possible and what mistake could have been made.

Facts: 19, finished first term of Uni, never even kissed a girl before.

This is all just such a slow process. I have graduated from no-friends so that is good. I haven't felt the need to browse depression gaf for over a month I think. Most of all I'm anxious to get back to Uni after Christmas and go out again. All these close encounters I've been having are just making me frustrated, which is weird coming from a place where I just gave up pretty much.

Funny how being sleep deprived at 3am can have the same social effect as alcohol. Oh, I added her on Facebook as well, don't think i'll be messaging her though!

Very nice OP. A bit too much Brent Smith for my taste, but hey...the rest is awesome. :p

Posting to subscribe, mostly because I like reading all your stories even though I can't bring much help.

90% of what Brent Smith says is total nonsense but there is some small helpful advice there somewhere.

Minamu

90% of what Brent Smith says is total nonsense but there is some small helpful advice there somewhere.
And I thought of you just now when he talked about telling girls you're not up to anything in particular in one of the videos cubs posted :) Since you asked about that at the end of OT3. And I really think you should give him more of a chance.

I've always thought a girl approaching me would be the best thing that could ever happen.

Well, it happened last week at a club. Her friend came up to me a said that she though I was 'hot'. So under the influence of alcohol and a certain other controlled substance, I approached her. From what I can remember, I apologised twice in the span of this short conversation for being so awkward. I remember touching her arm maybe a couple of times to make physical contact. I believe she said I should 'go back to my friends' and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I really don't know how to feel about this. Is this progress? Fucking up the best opportunity I could have imagined has hurt my confidence in my social skills, in fact I think her approaching me hurt my 'game' some how.

On the plus side, I suppose I must be better looking then I thought, though my insecurities run so deep that even being explicitly told that someone I found attractive (she was way out of what I thought to be my standard) thought I was attractive, I constantly question how that was possible and what mistake could have been made.

Facts: 19, finished first term of Uni, never even kissed a girl before.

This is all just such a slow process. I have graduated from no-friends so that is good. I haven't felt the need to browse depression gaf for over a month I think. Most of all I'm anxious to get back to Uni after Christmas and go out again. All these close encounters I've been having are just making me frustrated, which is weird coming from a place where I just gave up pretty much.

Funny how being sleep deprived at 3am can have the same social effect as alcohol. Oh, I added her on Facebook as well, don't think i'll be messaging her though!
You're only 19, life hasn't even started yet! Try not using drugs the next time and see if things go differently, for experiment's sake. Even if you fucked up this time, though it doesn't sound like you did since you're facebook friends already, use that frustration of yours to do better next time. Use it as a source of inspiration instead. I added a small piece to one of the last paragraphs that I forgot to write before after reading your post. You might also just as well reach out to her on facebook some day, since you've already added her (how did that happen?).

goodfella

You might also just as well reach out to her on facebook some day, since you've already added her (how did that happen?).

A friend I went out with that night got her number and added her. I really didn't feel comfortable adding her but my friend said I should so I did. She was better looking than I remembered lol.

I have no idea how I could turn talking to her on Facebook into anything other than increased awkwardness so I think I'll just leave it. Hopefully I will see her out again but it is a long shot. I think the lesson to be learned here is that alcohol on its own is best for pulling.

A girl approached you cold and said you were hot. That's great no matter where your love life is at.

Yeah. Just need that confidence to make it matter. The complement doesn't quite reassure me, I would only feel assured in my self after actually doing something sexual with a girl.

Oh, and just for clarification, it was the friend that came up to me. This allows much room for my slowly fading insecurity and paranoia and all that crap to question the whole thing, that it must have been some misunderstanding. That is just me being irrational though.

And I thought of you just now when he talked about telling girls you're not up to anything in particular in one of the videos cubs posted :) Since you asked about that at the end of OT3. And I really think you should give him more of a chance.

I'm sure he has some good tidbits but why support someone who makes money off the desperation of others to sustain his party lifestyle?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
^ Fuck being optimistic and naive. That's some bullshit that's just gonna hurt you/let you down even more when you've realised that - "OH, i guess i forgot that people FUCKING SUCK! This day turned out shitty after all!".

Being realistic and not fucking retarded takes the smiles out of you. Sometimes i wish i was dumb, had no anxiety disorders etc and a fucking social life.

I didn't watch the video you responded to but being dumb and being happy don't always go together.

Your mental expectation is not going to affect any given situation in the slightest, so why beat yourself up and have a negative one? That will just make you sad and bitter.

Give everyone you meet (including girls) a clean slate and have NO expectation. At least that's what I do *shrugs*

Minamu

I'm sure he has some good tidbits but why support someone who makes money off the desperation of others to sustain his party lifestyle?
You only support him if you give him money though, right? :) Come on, it just sounds like an excuse not to try it. What do you have to lose? I want you to do this! If nothing else, convince yourself that good things happen to you all the time and that you deserve those things, because you do. We all do :)

A friend I went out with that night got her number and added her. I really didn't feel comfortable adding her but my friend said I should so I did. She was better looking than I remembered lol.

I have no idea how I could turn talking to her on Facebook into anything other than increased awkwardness so I think I'll just leave it. Hopefully I will see her out again but it is a long shot. I think the lesson to be learned here is that alcohol on its own is best for pulling.

Just say "hello!"

If she answers great, if she doesn't, oh well.

We'll deal with the answer later when you get one lol

You only support him if you give him money though, right? :) Come on, it just sounds like an excuse not to try it. What do you have to lose? I want you to do this! If nothing else, convince yourself that good things happen to you all the time and that you deserve those things, because you do. We all do :)

You guys are focusing too much on shit that don't matter.

If the videos appeal to some, that's great, if not, then let it slide and keep searching.

Don't be stuck up asses to the people that do find it useful

I've never been bad with girls, but I certainly have let my fair share of opportunities slip through my hands. This semester, however, I have seen a tremendous growth in my social interactions with women.

It's amazing. It was more of a "balls to the wall" approach. See, the thing is, I'm studying abroad in 3 weeks, so I knew I wasn't going to see any of these girls/awkwardly run into them next semester. So I tried some new techniques. I didn't let them walk over me. I acted like the "man" girls want. It worked. It fucking worked. I was always a pushover, but I altered my strategy, and the fruit is flourishing.

Enjoying observing my friends conclude that women play games.

From my observation, they do it half on purpose, half on accident, entirely oblivious to what they're doing.

This is my analysis as an outsider looking in.

I've never been bad with girls, but I certainly have let my fair share of opportunities slip through my hands. This semester, however, I have seen a tremendous growth in my social interactions with women.

It's amazing. It was more of a "balls to the wall" approach. See, the thing is, I'm studying abroad in 3 weeks, so I knew I wasn't going to see any of these girls/awkwardly run into them next semester. So I tried some new techniques. I didn't let them walk over me. I acted like the "man" girls want. It worked. It fucking worked. I was always a pushover, but I altered my strategy, and the fruit is flourishing.

Elucidate?

Enjoying observing my friends conclude that women play games.

From my observation, they do it half on purpose, half on accident, entirely oblivious to what they're doing.

This is my analysis as an outsider looking in.

Anyone who lets their SO or someone they're interested in play games must secretly like them too.

Also nice OP minamu.

So I'm actually in better shape and more confident than I've ever been my in my entire life. I am by no means a ladies man but I'm also not a total grognard nerd virgin. I've been in two meaningful, fulfilling relationships. My main question is, I'm 27 and out of school, have a full on job that I love but a fairly anti-social social circle. How do I meet new people/women? I'm kind of a shy fellow sometimes, until i feel comfortable enough, then I'm incredibly personable and talkative. My biggest issue is just meeting people. Advice?

So I'm actually in better shape and more confident than I've ever been my in my entire life. I am by no means a ladies man but I'm also not a total grognard nerd virgin. I've been in two meaningful, fulfilling relationships. My main question is, I'm 27 and out of school, have a full on job that I love but a fairly anti-social social circle. How do I meet new people/women? I'm kind of a shy fellow sometimes, until i feel comfortable enough, then I'm incredibly personable and talkative. My biggest issue is just meeting people. Advice?

Well how'dya meet the first two?

balddemon

Banned
lol everytime i go to a bar, my butt gets touched by cute girls. one time i literally got spanked.

happened last night. also last night, i had to say excuse me to some woman on the dance floor and we both smiled and then i looked back because she was cute and we made eye contact AGAIN and then she had that look on her face. and then i walked away haha.

i'm so bad at doing anything when girls are obviously into me

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
OT4, hell yeah! Glad to see this thread idea is very much alive.

OT3 had some very inspiring stories for me, so it's kinda sad to let it see go locked. But anyway, it opens up the possibility to read about the happiness of you guys. Hopefully I can join you soon enough.

Ask something! Her name, or something!

Hey nice OP, I entered Dating-Age during OT3 so I'm glad we've another thread to continue this.

Anyways what is GAF's opinion on dating sites? Should I give it a try? I'm a pretty social person but since I spend my leisure time in college at the LBGTQA Pride center there's not many women to chase after, no matter how attractive they are.

I'm not opposed to dating sites but its still an unknown medium for me (as I've never used one) I asked because my lesbian best friend found somebody and now has a date this Wednesday. If she can find one why not me? -shrugs-

Izick

lol everytime i go to a bar, my butt gets touched by cute girls. one time i literally got spanked.

happened last night. also last night, i had to say excuse me to some woman on the dance floor and we both smiled and then i looked back because she was cute and we made eye contact AGAIN and then she had that look on her face. and then i walked away haha.

1RBmb.png

Hey nice OP, I entered Dating-Age during OT3 so I'm glad we've another thread to continue this.

Anyways what is GAF's opinion on dating sites? Should I give it a try? I'm a pretty social person but since I spend my leisure time in college at the LBGTQA Pride center there's not many women to chase after, no matter how attractive they are.

I'm not opposed to dating sites but its still an unknown medium for me (as I've never used one) I asked because my lesbian best friend found somebody and now has a date this Wednesday. If she can find one why not me? -shrugs-

There's an OKC site where people rate, give advice and encourage/commiserate with each other. They talk about other sites too. It really should get a new thread too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Er... I half know that feeling, but I'm sure I just read into things too much.

At one party, every time this one girl passed by me, she would put her hand on my lower mid-section and sort of drag it across slowly as she passed. Now, my friend (and a random girl on the bus my friend asked) says that meant something.

I say that's probably just what she does as she passes people. 'Sides, I heard from one guy that she's a friend of his and had a very serious boyfriend, so I... I don't fucking know what the message was there. Or wasn't.

Question: Did she stare at you when she did this? Because if she did, then it most certainly means something.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm seeing a girl I've already hooked up with, and have been on like 7 dates with. I really like this girl GAF, but one thing bother me; she has a kid.

Am I selfish asshole?

I'm 24 and shes 21, and don't get me wrong I love kids, but this is an aspect I've never had to deal with and I don't know how to handle it.

Shes a really cool girl and I have a lot of fun with her, but the added burden of a kid thats not mine, has defiantly affected our dates and my own psyche.

My GF of 2 years broke up with me a week from last thursday citing that we were too different. We were suppose to go to Vegas last week. Took my sister instead and we had a blast. Only issue is that I am alone now and I can't help but feel a slight empty sensation in my chest.

I've been cleaning my messy apartment and doing laundry to keep busy. I can't deny that I still love my ex right now, but understand that feeling will pass. I have never been one to pick up a girl at a bar or anything. I think I am just going to relax and if I happen to meet a beautiful intelligent girl somehow I will just see where it leads.

Fucking timing sucked though.

maxxpower

I haven't gone on a date in six years, at this point I think it's pretty much hopeless. I'm in pretty good shape and I'm confident in my personality and conversing abilities but I just don't go out enough. I'm in a lot of engineering clubs but it's all guys, all my classes are full of guys, going to a bar/club is only good for hooking up and that's not what I'm interested in, I don't dare hit on women at the gym because I go to the gym to work out and I assume they do the same and don't want to be bothered.

Orayn

I've tentative got a coffee/tea date for after winter break with an English major from my college whom I met on OKCupid. My first attempt at online dating was in May, which started promising but fizzled out awkwardly in June. Before that, I had a 2+ year relationship that ended in Spring 2011. It worked pretty well for the first year and a half, but lingered for too many months in a way that made neither of us happy and kept me away from addressing some major self esteem issues. Hindsight is 20/20, eh? Normally, I wouldn't post on GAF about any this stuff at all, but the Iron Maiden references in the OP and title caught my attention and compelled me to participate. You are all stuck with me now, and I'd like to apologize in advance.

balddemon

Banned
That's odd. I get much better at talking to people when I'm drunk.
i'm a pretty outgoing guy sober, drunk i'm really outgoing, but i start saying stupid shit and generally give no fucks about what comes out of my mouth. it's a curse.

i don't know how to fix it, so i don't get that drunk very often.

A.E Suggs

I'm not with anyone right now. In fact in the last few months I haven't had sex or dated either. I'm just not in the mood right now it seems.

i'm a pretty outgoing guy sober, drunk i'm really outgoing, but i start saying stupid shit and generally give no fucks about what comes out of my mouth. it's a curse.

i don't know how to fix it, so i don't get that drunk very often.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm not that outgoing sober, so.

Man

Had a date with a girl ten days ago. The images provided beforehand shown her as a very pretty gal but I was disappointed to find out that they were about 10KG old when meeting up. A bit dishonest that but the actual date went really well, six hours of talking, drinking, eating, laughing. We both agreed that we should do a second one sometime but I'm out traveling now for three weeks and she's traveling for the month I'm back. Therefor I didn't rush the second date prior to leaving as so much can happen in that timespan which leads me to...

...having dated a second woman a few days ago. Now this chick was smart (bought her first house at 17) and absolutely gorgeous. I did at one point comment that she had amazing eyes (a potential cliche trap but I told it from the heart and in an utter convincing positive voice while looking into her soul) and she blushed up grinning uttering a small thanks, so damn sexy. I actually managed to come 40 minutes(!) late to this date due to serious traffic trouble (I'm never late, ever) but I managed to row it in, not dwelling on apologies (I made the initial apology followed up with a late joke a bit later). We had great laughs for two hours and we agreed to see each other again when I'm back from my travels in three weeks time.
This is one of those rare ones where you fall for the person at first meet. I am already secretly fearing to lose her but I can't let that get to me as I need to be my confident self. A girl like that doesn't stay single for long though and the three weeks abroad are killing me right now... We are texting/mailing each other in the meantime.

Lkr

ok i'm going to have a relationship of any sort by the end of next semester. i'm too lonely not to :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom