• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT7| Tough Love

That's a fantastic idea. Someone set this up, and I'll add it to the OP.

I’m probably going to be alone forever so I’ll be able to keep tabs on it lol. I’ll set it up in an hour or two when I get home!

I dont really know how they work with running it but you have to be invited to join right? Like if you just post the link to the group in the OP then its probably a recipe for disaster with random lurkers going in there to shit up the room for the lulz.

I’ll make sure there’s some kind of gate to prevent random toxic dudes like and such from joining.

My first ever tinder date and I'm getting a second date.

Celebrate with me
GrizzNKev killing it!
FJ2heg0rA.gif

Salamando

I’m probably going to be alone forever so I’ll be able to keep tabs on it lol. I’ll set it up in an hour or two when I get home!

I’ll make sure there’s some kind of gate to prevent random toxic dudes like and such from joining.

I can set one up now. I'm suggest having a "general" room accessible to anyone, and a special GAF room that's invite only.

I can set one up now. I'm suggest having a "general" room accessible to anyone, and a special GAF room that's invite only.

Honestly, I rather it be GAF only (or people that GAF folks invite). Is that doable?

Whoever wants to set this up, PM me, and I'll include the invite address as a quotable thing in the OP. I think that might be the best approach.

(I'm not sure how to do different rooms.)

Salamando

Honestly, I rather it be GAF only (or people that GAF folks invite). Is that doable?

Whoever wants to set this up, PM me, and I'll include the invite address as a quotable thing in the OP. I think that might be the best approach.

(I'm not sure how to do different rooms.)

Different rooms are trivial. We can even set up different roles that can access rooms generic people can't. It depends on how much security we need...is the quotable link enough, or should we add a human gatekeeper?

(quote this for a link to the current room)

I would love that.
I see a space for Custom Emoji.... babybirding will be added quickly

Different rooms are trivial. We can even set up different roles that can access rooms generic people can't. It depends on how much security we need...is the quotable link enough, or should we add a human gatekeeper?

(quote this for a link to the current room)

I see a space for Custom Emoji.... babybirding will be added quickly

Honestly, I think quotable link is fine! And this is excellent. This is basically the uber-OT community thread as it is...

I'm going to add this to the OP.

You know pieces of shit will join the discord and harass others if you make any of it public. Look at the unofficial GAF Facebook groups which are just banned people going off about drama and their grudges against particular GAFers. There are plenty of creepers already obsessed with us, dating GAF, anyone who's ever posted a public photo, and especially the women of this forum.

You know pieces of shit will join the discord and harass others if you make any of it public. Look at the unofficial GAF Facebook groups which are just banned people going off about drama and their grudges against particular GAFers. There are plenty of creepers already obsessed with us, dating GAF, anyone who's ever posted a public photo, and especially the women of this forum.

I want to avoid that. I trust Salamando in orchestrating this, though. I think the idea of a general channel and invite-only channel makes sense. The last thing any of us wants is a toxic channel that's unwelcoming to our regulars, especially the women.

The only reason this topic's succeeded for 7 OTs is that we police ourselves and because we've got a loud, smart female voice that's represented. (Someone invite gaiages pls. :/ )

afroguy10

I'm on my way to London the now for a weekend of drinking with friends, but I'll join the Discord when I'm back Monday night, sounds fun 👍.

Salamando

Discord's set up, permissions seem to be working fine. Heading to sleep now.

If anyone wants to join, quote the OP for the link. AD and I have admin powers and can tag you as GAF if you PM us (after joining. Just PM us your Discord name).

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to make them! Maybe rooms for "Critique my pics" or "Emergency dating advice"?

afroguy10

Fuck it, it's a long journey down to London on the train and I have Discord on my phone, may as well see if I can join. Forgot to charge my Switch last night so the battery won't last long and I've nothing else to do anyway.

TheContact

Man I got into a serious relationship back in college (married to her now) before Tinder was a thing. I kinda wish I got to experience it

afroguy10

Great to have another member, but I don't think there are enough members right now to keep you occupied on the trip to London.

Yeah, I reckoned, Scotland's shoddy cellular service is turning this into a fun game of can I get logged into Discord while I come across a tiny sliver of service. If it gives me 10 minutes of this 5 hour journey to jump in and get set up I'll take it hah.

Yeah, I reckoned, Scotland's shoddy cellular service is turning this into a fun game of can I get logged into Discord while I come across a tiny sliver of service. If it gives me 10 minutes of this 5 hour journey to jump in and get set up I'll take it hah.

Shame about the poor reception, but other than that you're so lucky. I can't help it when I meet girls with a Scottish accent, I swoon hard. It's a shame that there aren't too many around here, it's easily the hottest accent in the world imo.

nothing happened but chill tea talk but it was great and easily one of the best dates of my life

Yay! Did you lock in a follow-up?

afroguy10

Shame about the poor reception, but other than that you're so lucky. I can't help it when I meet girls with a Scottish accent, I swoon hard. It's a shame that there aren't too many around here, it's easily the hottest accent in the world imo.

Yeah, receptions great in the cities and pretty good in most towns but goddamn as soon as you leave the Central Belt (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling) and head North or South you're crossing your fingers for decent reception.

Haha, you've obviously never heard a proper Glaswegian girl speaking, nothing sexy about that :p. I don't really notice the accent unless it's really strong but that'll be because me and 95% of the people I bump into on a daily basis have it.

Ernest

Banned
Man I got into a serious relationship back in college (married to her now) before Tinder was a thing. I kinda wish I got to experience it
Man, I wish I would've met and married a woman right out of college, and I would've missed this whole online dating thing... ;)

Ernest

Banned
Side benefit of divorce we get to time travel into a different dating culture.
Yeah, but I'm geared more for long lasting monogamous relationships instead of whatever this dating culture is. [/old_man]

Also, join the discord chat. I don't want to be the only old man on there ;)

I don't know what that is.
I'm also out of town right now, so I'm only on my mobile, so I'm not too proficient with site navigation right now.

PixelatedBookake

Just matched with this really cute girl on Tinder not expecting her to work for a casting company finding people to act as extras in a Karate Kid spin-off series. Oh well. Time to be an extra in Cobra Kai I guess...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dreavus

I set up an online dating profile (okcupid) for the first time and I don't really know what to say to someone "out of the blue". Do you try and start a conversation with the message or just ask right away if they want to meet up? Both seem awkward to me but I haven't really done this before.

Also nearly everyone eerily seems to like Lord of the Rings on their profiles and it makes me feel like I went back in time 10 years by accident.

I set up an online dating profile (okcupid) for the first time and I don't really know what to say to someone "out of the blue". Do you try and start a conversation with the message or just ask right away if they want to meet up? Both seem awkward to me but I haven't really done this before.

Also nearly everyone eerily seems to like Lord of the Rings on their profiles and it makes me feel like I went back in time 10 years by accident.

This is what I do. Let's say someone says they are a Rick and Morty fan in their profile, "I see in your profile that you are a Rick and Morty fan. What did you think of the season finale?" Try to let the conversation flow naturally from that. I hate profiles that are completely blank. I try to avoid those.

That girl and I have been texting nonstop and we've decided we don't want to wait until next weekend so we're going hiking on Wednesday and we'll keep our Friday dinner plans if we're still into each other. I think this is for the best cause the first date was a lot of sitting around and talking and next Friday will also be sitting and talking - this gives us something different in the mix.

Also she loves Tolkien shit. She has memarobilia apparently. Lord help me.

Have a second date set up with a girl next Saturday, going to one of the local themeparks (my city has like 6 of them) during a horror themed night for October. My first date with her was like 2 months ago, but I got super sick for a few weeks after our date and when I got better, our exams/assignment schedules meant we’ve both been super busy since. Should be fun.

Ghosted != getting stood up.

From the post, I thought he was at the coffee shop waiting for someone who never showed.

So, question: did you confirm plans?

Confirmed plans, then went to confirm again today (since it's day of) and she had ghosted me. I went to the coffee house anyway because I wanted to get out of the house and I heard it was a quality place. I thought I looked pretty good, too.

Right now I always plan dates at new places that I want to try out so that if I get ghosted I still get something out of it.

dcelw540

Lately been really down on the whole dating scene. Been using tinder and barely get any matches. It's weird I went up north for a few days a month ago and got matches all the time but being back around the GTA (Greater Toronoto Area) I don't get to many. I guess being 21 and single for a year an a half now id be a bit easier to go on dates but no luck. Could be as well I work for the school board full time so i don't get the chance to meet people through post secondary education.

Short version: 21 and been down on my luck with dates.

Man I just read this

“To add some more detail, Tinder puts you into 'attractiveness tiers' based on your score and tries to show you to people within the same tier. There are other things that affect your score, like the attractiveness score of people you message and the lengths and outcomes of the resulting conversations. However, the way swipe outcomes affect the score is like this:

You | Them | Result
---|---|----
Swipe Right | Swipe Right | Match
Swipe Left | Swipe Left | Nothing Happens
Swipe Right | Swipe Left | Score Decrease
Swipe Left | Swipe Right | Score Increase

If you swipe right on a bunch of people out of your league, your score decreases and you get bumped into a lower tier and you stop seeing the most popular profiles. If you swipe left on a bunch of people who like you, then you are obviously attractive and you get bumped into a higher tier to match you with similarly attractive people.

If you just swipe right on everybody, your score tanks very very fast, and it's technically possible to end up in the dumpster tier at the very bottom that functions like a low priority queue of robots and inactive profiles.”

—-

Should I make a new account lol.

And does it work the same on bumble

Top Bottom